BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49246 - 02/09/08 12:07 AM Pinky finger hole Pros/Cons
unmovedbydeath Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 25/Male/Statesboro, Georgia, U...
I'm trying to find out what the pros and cons would be if I were to add a pinky hole to my ball. I have heard of people doing it but never actually seen the final product.
Unfortunately I sustained a broken wrist when I was younger and though my wrist was set it did not heal proper. Since I started bowling I have been using a brace and doing strength training exercises to build it up. Now without the brace I can maintain a cocked position, that is up until the peek of the back swing where it tries to break backwards. It does return back to the cocked position in the down swing but sometimes I can feel a slight pop, like you cracked your knuckles, almost like the bone shifted a little. I know that my wrist isn't ever going to be perfect but someone told me by adding a pinky hole weight would be more evenly distributed.
Would there be any other benefits? Like added leverage? Would it dampen revs off the hand? Decrease potential accuracy? Limit drill patterns? Also would it be a better to use a standard fingertip type hole or drill for an insert?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#49255 - 02/09/08 12:34 PM Re: Pinky finger hole Pros/Cons [Re: unmovedbydeath]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
From what I've heard of a pinky hole, it helps reduce strain on the wrist. At the same time I believe it also reduces the revs at the same time. The few times I've seen it used I say inserts in the pinky hole. If you are experiencing some pain, it might be something to think about but I don't think it will help keep your wrist in the same position throughout the swing.
HS:763

2012-13 Winter Season
HG:280
HS:758

#49259 - 02/09/08 01:58 PM Re: Pinky finger hole Pros/Cons [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
unmovedbydeath Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 25/Male/Statesboro, Georgia, U...
Lol- jeez and I don't really have revs to spare. Damned if you do and damned if you don't, I guess. I am probably pretty speed dominant 18-20mph. My back swing is a little above my shoulders without tilting forward during the approach.
Ideally I was hoping to try and increase my rev rate to match my speed, hence the reason I have been training my wrist. Its possible that some of my wrist problem might be due to the fact that lately I've been trying to get more axis rotation on the ball. I could have been gradually over exerting my wrist by cupping and cocking at to extreme of an angle.

Since I actually have the strength to cup my wrist after the peak of my back swing, do you think I should just focus on using a straight or non tense wrist up until that point?

#49263 - 02/09/08 04:24 PM Re: Pinky finger hole Pros/Cons [Re: unmovedbydeath]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Its usually best to try to keep the same wrist position throughout the swing. Too much movement can lead to inconsistencies and you have to make sure its timed just right. I'm not saying it can't be done it will just take a lot of work to get it right.
HS:763

2012-13 Winter Season
HG:280
HS:758

#49267 - 02/09/08 06:19 PM Re: Pinky finger hole Pros/Cons [Re: unmovedbydeath]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
Have you considered using one of the many wrist supports on the market? I was operated for carpal tunnel a few years back and have since gone to a lightweight wrist support, in this case, a Robbys plus. If you insist on using a cocked wrist position, there are several wrist supports on the market that are adjustable, including a cocked position. Most of the top women bowlers use a wrist support and a few of the men. [censored] Weber and Earl Anthony both used wrist supports.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Problem hitting my target/mark.
by Pat013 -
New Targeting Formula
by Joe Bowler - 10:26 PM
Input on my form and approaches
by sk8shorty01 - 10:11 PM
How to match a ball to the player's style?
by Joe Bowler - 04:29 PM
Sign-up for Fall '14 V-league open (close 8/17)
by steveA - 04:19 PM
Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread
by Richie V. - 09:59 PM
Approach Advice
by Smooth Stroker - 06:55 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 01:47 PM
Ball Speed Calculator
by Joe Bowler - 12:01 PM
Storm IQ Tour Fusion Video Ball Review
by SteveH - 10:16 AM
My complete set of 8 PBA 2014 League jerseys!!!
by BIGHMW - 04/15/14 11:28 PM
So, got my first ball.....
by Lonemorf - 04/15/14 03:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.