BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48896 - 02/03/08 03:38 PM Thumb Sticking
delawanabowler Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 46/male/nj
I would appreciate advice on my problem of my thumb sticking, never had a problem like I am having lately. My thumb sticks and I almost end up down the lane, I can be bowling with no problem and all of a sudden, this happens. I made the hole bigger but it still happens now and then, is there a technic that can help with this problem?

Edited by delawanabowler (02/03/08 03:39 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#48897 - 02/03/08 03:46 PM Re: Thumb Sticking [Re: delawanabowler]
slimmy Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/FL
I'd get your thumb hole pitch checked out first, you may not be releasing cleanly off your thumb.

If it only happens occasionally, you might just be squeezing as well. When you made your thumb hole bigger, maybe you went too big and have a tendency to squeeze too tight to compensate. This coupled with an early wrist turn could definitely give you that sticking feel.

I'd definitely have your drilling checked out though, to make sure it fits correctly.

AVG: 193

Season Goals
HG: 250
HS: 700
AVG: 185

#48898 - 02/03/08 04:06 PM Re: Thumb Sticking [Re: slimmy]
delawanabowler Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 46/male/nj
Slim, thank's for the response, I am definitely no squeezing, but you reinforced my suspicion about the pitch, I am thinking the thumb is pitched to far forward? does that seem correct?

#48901 - 02/03/08 05:27 PM Re: Thumb Sticking [Re: delawanabowler]
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/M/Jackson, MI
for me if I'm sticking it usually has to do with my hands getting sweaty or damp in some fashion. I have to keep my hands bone dry to bowl.

#48908 - 02/03/08 10:50 PM Re: Thumb Sticking [Re: Smooth23]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Thumb sticking can be caused by a lot of things - pitch, composition of material in the thumbhole itself, improper fit (span) or bevel, etc. If you have a ball that you used to use that was clean, I'd have the thumbhole pitches and span of your new ball checked out against the old one. Sometimes even the slightest difference can make you hang up in the ball.

#48914 - 02/04/08 12:59 AM Re: Thumb Sticking [Re: Brian Longo]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Well if it used to be fine and now its not, there's only a couple things that contribute. You have gained weight, or are eating more salt and alcohol before bowling or its dramatically warming in the over all environment(which I doubt at that time of year). I'm not saying ou are drining before bowling but beer and booze does contribute to your thumb swelling as does salty foods. If you have the type of job that lets you chew on sunflower seed all day....lots of salt. If you wait until getting to the bowling alley to have your dinner, I would definately look into this situation.

It could also be cause by tiredness. If you are getting to the end of your comfort zone of stamina, you could be sqeezing too much at the end of your set. Or getting a lazy wrist.

Erin

#48924 - 02/04/08 09:09 AM Re: Thumb Sticking [Re: delawanabowler]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Originally Posted By: delawanabowler
... I am definitely no squeezing...

No offense, but don't kid yourself. Everyone squeezes the ball. We're not supposed to, and we know it, but we do it.

Originally Posted By: delawanabowler
I am thinking the thumb is pitched to far forward?

Unless you specifically asked for it, no driller would have given you nearly enough forward pitch to begin with. Drillers start people out with reverse pitch because people squeeze the ball - if they didn't, people would stick. As you get better and learn not to squeeze, then you can (and should) move forward. Everytime I move my pitch forward 1/4 inch, my game jumps up a notch.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#48963 - 02/04/08 09:32 PM Re: Thumb Sticking [Re: cgeorg]
Reader Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
As you get better and learn not to squeeze, then you can (and should) move forward. Everytime I move my pitch forward 1/4 inch, my game jumps up a notch.

Do you fill and redrill each time? Do you use an insert for your thumb hole so it is easier to change the pitch?
MoRich Seek & Destroy 15 lbs (01/30/2007- )
Ebonite Maxim 15 lbs
HG:214
Avg:155

Started taking lessons: November, 2006

#48965 - 02/04/08 09:41 PM Re: Thumb Sticking [Re: Reader]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Yes. The driller actually just got a plugging material that is urethane, but a bit softer than regular thumb slugs. It's great. He just plugs and drills into the plug.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#48967 - 02/04/08 10:07 PM Re: Thumb Sticking [Re: cgeorg]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Thats how most people do it Reader, with the thumb slugs. If you drill out and put a new slug in a ball enough times though, you either need to go with a bigger slug or have the ball plugged. Over time the drilling out can make the original hole just slightly bigger than the slugs and no amount of glue will hold it in. I actually had a thumb slug come lose, never a finger insert though. I guess I change them enough that the glue never gets a chance to deteriorate. Also if you move the pitch far enough you will eventually have to plug the thumb so that the slug can even be pitched more or else you drill the front of the slug out.
HS:763

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurfacing the Storm Byte
by djp1080 - Today at 06:07 PM
Very Strange Ball Track Problem
by hoppy - Today at 02:09 PM
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 06:36 AM
Brunswick sold
by Dennis Michael - Today at 06:33 AM
Trying to understand this statement
by SteveH - Yesterday at 08:48 PM
Any rules on speed of play?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 04:17 PM
A loss in my local association
by SteveH - Yesterday at 04:12 PM
Suggestions on a better angel
by mmalsed - 07/21/14 11:41 AM
Two years or no competitive action
by SteveH - 07/19/14 11:41 AM
push away tips
by Dennis Michael - 07/18/14 05:32 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 07/18/14 02:41 PM
Junior gold, Buffalo, NY
by Smooth Stroker - 07/17/14 06:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.