BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47650 - 01/14/08 07:29 PM My balls hook too much!
Rookie Roller Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 34/M/Washington
Over the summer, I got some coaching from one of the scratch bowlers in my league. The biggest change we made in my game was changing my release to get away from side rotation (similar to Weber) and instead create more roll (similar to Jones). Now my ball picks up its roll way earlier than before and I am having a very difficult time with this new release in league play. Part of the reason for my poor play is lack of speed and I have tried to fix this by starting my ball higher in my setup (using a free arm swing) and starting a little further back on the approach. However, I still find it hard to keep my ball on the right side of the headpin.

Now Im beginning to wonder if the balls that Im using are just too strong for this release and my medium/heavy lane conditions or my drill patterns need to be changed. The two balls that I used to use the most were drilled before my release change and they were made to pick up their roll early. Should I look into using a different drill pattern to help keep my ball on line longer?

Heres what Im using right now:

Double Agent Particle Pearl @ 1000 abralon Drilled similar to Storms heavy roll layout #2 (pin right and below ring @ about 4 from PAP with x hole on PAL)

Special Agent Solid Reactive @ 2000 abralon Drilled similar to Storms heavy roll layout #2 (pin right and below ring @ about 4 from PAP with x hole on PAL)

T-Road Pearl - Pearl Reactive @ 1500 + polish - Drilled for slight length (pin slightly above and between my fingers @ about 5 3/4 from my PAP with no x hole)

So should I have my Agents polished, or change their layouts, or buy weaker balls, or get away from Storm and try another manufacturer or what? I am seriously struggling and would appreciate any advice thanks.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#47653 - 01/14/08 08:21 PM Re: My balls hook too much! [Re: Rookie Roller]
Triumph Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 38/M/Wa
I was having the same problem. I was droping the ball a touch on release. I have been working on "skipping the rock".A low and long thing. That helped me keep the ball from hooking off my hand. I get much better carry and length now. Im just learning this stuff too, hope it helps, Triumph

#47657 - 01/14/08 09:55 PM Re: My balls hook too much! [Re: Triumph]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
1000 abralon, and even 2000 abralon, are pretty frictiony surfaces. Definitely polish them, or take them even further (to 4000). Keep in mind you want variety in your lineup. Maybe take T-Road pearl to 4000 and polished, the special agent at 2000 w/polish, and the double agent to 2000, or 1000 and polish.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#47662 - 01/14/08 10:23 PM Re: My balls hook too much! [Re: cgeorg]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Have the T Road repolished at the Pro Shop. When you bowl, the balls like this, get dull on the Track and need to be repolished. Plus you might want to look at the part of the lane you are playing. It might be that you are too much in the dry, which means on a house shot....too far outside.

Erin

#47664 - 01/14/08 10:28 PM Re: My balls hook too much! [Re: cgeorg]
sixbagger Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Indiana
I'm a total newbie when it comes to hooking and to bowling as well if you consider my long layoff so I probably shouldnt offer up any advice as I will most likely put my foot in my mouth, but as I've said I am impulsive. Not only that but talking in an inquisitive manner actually helps the learning curve - I think; if nothing else it tells you what you dont know. LOL!

Anyway on to what I was going to say - if youre consistently missing the pocket to the right, why not try moving your setup position to the right? Least thats the first thing that comes to my inexperienced mind.

#47665 - 01/14/08 10:29 PM Re: My balls hook too much! [Re: Rookie Roller]
Mkirchie Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/New Jersey
Quote:
Part of the reason for my poor play is lack of speed and I have tried to fix this by starting my ball higher in my setup (using a free arm swing) and starting a little further back on the approach. However, I still find it hard to keep my ball on the right side of the headpin.

Now, not knowing your usual line to the pocket or if there is anything else that you have tried with your game besides increasing ball speed, but with the change in release, you now have a change in reaction. Did you try playing the same line you used to or have you moved left to adjust for the new ball reaction? On any typical house shot, and on what you described as medium/heavy lane conditions, there should be way more than enough oil in the middle of the lane to get the ball to slide to the right through the oil until it gets to the dry boards to the right and then turn back to the pocket. Essentially, you will get the ball to the same breakpoint down lane that you used to, but it will just be a different route. I prefer earlier rolling balls when I'm playing this line too, you don't want a ball that will slide too much and then enter the pocket behind the head pin, you'll be looking at a lot of 2-10 split combinations.

If you have not tried that change in line, I suggest that you give it a try before you try to play around with any equipment issues that could cause you to change/replace perfectly good bowling balls.

Mark

#47667 - 01/14/08 10:35 PM Re: My balls hook too much! [Re: cgeorg]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I don't think that polish is the answer. First a question. Why are you using this new release in league? Why not save this release for when you need it most? I would store this new release away until you need it most. Like when the lanes are really oily.

I had a similar problem and I have always used Storm balls. My problem had always been too little ball speed and too much hook. I came around the ball a lot. I don't really understand how you didn't have this problem before. Coming around the ball as PDW does creates more backend. With the slower ball speed, your ball should've been hooking bigtime. PDW covers just as many boards as Tommy Jones does, maybe more.

This is how I solved the problem. I was looking for more speed and less backend. this combination covers less boards total. I suspect you came around the ball too much in the past. If you watch the balls rotation, it will tell the whole story. I first made sure that my armswing was sound. I was wrapping the ball around my back. I fixed that. I made sure that there was no hitch in my swing. I wanted a nice smooth armswing. No hesitations. You would be suprised how many people slow down the ball to make sure that the hand position is correct. I raised the ball slightly in my pushaway. I keep the ball close to my slide ankle at release. I also keep my hand more behind the ball.

The combo has greatly improved my ball speed. I can now play much more outside than I have ever been able to before. My carry is great. I leave very few ten pins. My ball doesn't roll out at all. My strikes are very impressive now. They make a loud noise when the ball makes contact with the pins. I can do this with balls that I never would've been able to before.

I have a T Road Pearl. I have used it for 3 games when at the beginning of the year, I thought I wouldn't be able to use the ball at all. The ball is very strong. But with a smooth armswing, with no speed impediments, It carries like crazy and Stays on the right side of the headpin. Of the Three balls you have, the T Road Pearl should get the most length. It isn't a light oil ball however. I would never use it on anything less than medium length oil. To me, all of those balls are strong. I would want a ball for light oil in my bag.

I now only carry 3 balls to league. One is a spare ball. The other two are my Pyro and my old X Factor that I use for light/medium oil. I can play a little more straight with my Pyro than I can with my T Road Pearl. So I save my T Road Pearl for tourny's.

Reign of Fire
Marvel Pearl
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#47668 - 01/14/08 10:43 PM Re: My balls hook too much! [Re: Smooth Stroker]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Don't get me wrong, polish will help some, but I think there are other solutions also.

Reign of Fire
Marvel Pearl
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#47683 - 01/15/08 08:25 AM Re: My balls hook too much! [Re: Smooth Stroker]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
The one question that hasn't been asked is, where are you standing and how deep are you moving?

#47703 - 01/15/08 11:56 AM Re: My balls hook too much! [Re: Lefty]
General Pounder Online   brickwall
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 38/M/Midlothian, IL
The equipment you have is some of the stronger equipment that Storm makes. On a THS with a low ball speed, I can see where you may have issues.

Stating that, I think that altering the surface will help some. It will help the balls get down the lane a little further. When you changed your rotation of the ball, you changed the shape of your shots. With side roll, the hook is delayed. With forward roll, they will hook up earlier. All of your equipment was drilled with the other rotation in mind. You can get them re-drilled and have them set up to hook later on the lane.

You may also want to look at getting something a little tamer. The Thunderstruck Pearl will hook less, and maybe go down to the Jolt Pearl. If the Thunderstuck Pearl works for you, there is the Thunderstuck that is tamer than the Agents that you have.

Don't be afraid to alter the ball surface first. It is a cheaper and easier option than re-drilling or buying new equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

Save with these Holiday Gift Deals!!

Shop Amazon's Electronics Holiday Gift Guide - New Deals Every Day

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Looking for the versatile dry lane ball
by Mkirchie - Today at 09:16 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Sign-ups open for Winter '15 V-league (Dec. 21)
by Richie V. - 12/16/14 02:53 PM
Anthony Pepe - is he destined for greatness?
by BIGHMW - 12/15/14 09:45 PM
Fall '14 Week 14 virtual league results
by Richie V. - 12/15/14 05:53 PM
New USBC Rules on balls For Thumbless bowlers
by FuriousSam - 12/15/14 01:25 AM
Thumb release
by djp1080 - 12/14/14 11:55 AM
2014 WTBA World Men's Championships
by champ - 12/14/14 10:47 AM
Attn Richie V (Dads Crux)
by Richie V. - 12/14/14 10:31 AM
Another Free Storm Crux Giveaway
by Rocket Jr - 12/14/14 09:47 AM
late sharp flip/hook?
by SteveH - 12/12/14 10:21 PM
Fall '14 virtual league announcements & discussion
by Gohokies - 12/12/14 01:13 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.