BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24536 - 02/02/06 07:26 AM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
ChrisLim Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 24/M/Singapore
Hi,
I have this Neo-tec liquid sandpaper. Does it make a dull ball more dull? Can i use it as a cleaner on a dull ball instead of a polish-remover?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#24537 - 03/28/06 01:24 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
Flynwolf Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 33/Male/Laurel, MD
You can go to bowl . com, the official website of the USBC to find out exactly what is legal and illegal for cleaning your ball. It doesn't really cover what works, just what you're allowed to use.

Tony

#24538 - 04/06/06 12:10 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
General Pounder Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 38/M/Midlothian, IL
This is how I have been cleaning my equipment for years.

1) Let the ball soak in faucet hot water and dish soap (any grease cutter will do) for about 5 mintues.
2) Dry it off. Make sure you get all of the water out of the finger holes. Leave it upside down on a towl for a few hours.
3) Use another rag with rubbing alcohol on it and wipes the whole ball a couple of times.

All of the cleaners do a good job but rubbing alcohol works and it is the cheapest thing. If you ball needs a really good cleaning, then it should probably be re-surfaced anyway. This has worked for me for years.

#24539 - 04/28/06 10:05 AM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
TKOA Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 38/Male/Louisiana
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by ChrisLim:
Hi,
I have this Neo-tec liquid sandpaper. Does it make a dull ball more dull? Can i use it as a cleaner on a dull ball instead of a polish-remover?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Chris, if your unsure what to do the best thing is to take it to your Pro Shop and let them do it. Most Shops will let you watch and explain what there doing. If your going to soak your ball always put coark in the finger holes. It's easier then trying to dry them out.
Columbia Action Pack 15lb.
Ebonite Black Ice 15lb.
Columbia White Dot 15lb. (Ten Pin)

#24540 - 05/16/06 10:28 AM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
Cardiac Cat Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 29 /Male /Maryland
I just use a cleaner called black magic. I know it's not approved for use while playing, but it is allowed before and after league play. Seems to work pretty well. It was recommended by my local pro.

#24541 - 07/30/06 01:16 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
Mutilated1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 36/Male/Pell City AL, Right Ha...
OK, here is my report on cleaning bowling balls with ordinary household products. First a disclaimer, none of the products I tested are made for bowling balls, and I have no idea if they are "legal" for use on a bowling ball or not. The things I tried, I tried because they are good around the house for cleaning greasy stuff, and because when I examined the label I did not see acetone or anything that might be harmful listed as an ingredient. Also, I limited my testing to products that don't irrate the skin, because I think if its not harmfull to your skin, then most likely it won't hurt your bowling ball either.

I should also mention that I tested this stuff on last seasons equipment, not my new equipment I got for this year. While I don't think it got harmed in anyway, I'm not trying this with my new balls. I don't think it hurt my old equipment in any way, but try it out at your own risk - if it screws your balls up - its not my fault. I warned you.

First product I tried is a cleaner called "Greased Lightening", this works really well with a hard plastic ball like a White Dot. Spray it on, wipes it off. Requires a little elbow grease to remove pin and belt marks, but cuts the grease like nobodys business.

Greased Lightening also cleaned pearlized particle balls exceptionally well. It left the finish nice and tacky. The only drawback I could notice was that for polished balls, it also removed the polish.

The next product I tried was "Easy Off BAM!". This is different from Easy Off oven cleaner. Spray on, wipe off - this product removes the grime, belt marks, and ball marks with ease. It also cleans down into the grooves and makes the engraving on a ball look new again. Unfortunately it also removes the polish on polished balls, but works great for dulled particle equipment. Allthough this stuff cleans grime better, it did not leave as desirable a surface as greased lightening except for on particle balls.

The last product I tried was "Simple Green". Probably the "safest" product of the stuff I tried, allthough it did not clean as well and didn't leave the excellent tacky surface that greased lightening did.

Summary - Greased Lightening seems to be a great cleaner for bowling balls. 32 oz bottle is available at the grocery store for $4-5 dollars, Easy Off Bam I would not use except for the dirtiest and oiliest of particle equipment, Greased Lightening works better. And Simple Green is probably good for touch up cleaning, but not worth the trouble for cleaning really dirty balls.

#24542 - 08/08/06 04:48 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
Matt G Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 23/male/cleveland
If I do the soaking method do I need to worry about the rubber fingertip inserts I have.

#46808 - 12/30/07 03:31 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls [Re: Matt G]
d_bradford82 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Macomb, IL
I have tryed hot water baths, hook again system, and now baking.

With the baking I took 3 different balls, turned on the oven to about 250 and put one in at a time. I would then wait about a min or two till i could see the oil coming out pull it out and wipes it down with a clean towl and alcohol. I then proceded to the next ball and did the same thing. Then started everything over again with ball one.

I did this till oil quit coming out of the ball at 1 and 2 min time periods. You bake longer and it will start coming out again.

Reasoning behind this is to make sure the balls had plenty of time to cool in between cycles. Because for them being in there only a min or two at a time the ball didn't actually warm up very much at all. The very most outside of the coverstock was warmed up and the ball was Completely cool to the touch.

Just for experiment sake i took one ball and repeated the procedure without time between heat cycles. It seemed to work fine if not great pulling oil out but eventually i heard a popping sound. i think it was my insert coming unglued but don't know for sure. But with it heating up as much as it did i could deffently see some problems with expansion/contraction and the ball coming apart.

Now a lower heat up might prevent this but i haven't played around with it yet.

The hook again system did work well but was messy. The dawn/hotwater bath did work well on certain balls. I did not have luck with the Hammer blackwidow and hawgzilla coverstocks though. Seemed to make them worse

The other thing i have not tryed that sounds like it might work is the dishwasher methode. Put the ball on the bottom rack of the dishwasher. The heat from heater in the dishwasher plus all the hot water washing the oil away sounds like it has potential.

HG: 300-3
HS: 816

#52544 - 03/20/08 08:24 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls [Re: Sheldon]
RLD Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Pinoy-Guamie on the Bay

Originally Posted By: Sheldon
Luster Kings only put wax on a ball. It is very very old as technology and theory goes. It was designed when there were only black bowling balls which were rubber. These balls needed wax in order to make them hook.

Do not use these machines unless you want to destroy
your balls reactive surface. If you have use such a machine, have your ball re-surfaced by Haus Machine or similar machine.

What's the best way to remove the Lustre King wax from the ball? Would a hot water bath work or would it be best to bring it into the Pro Shop?

#52546 - 03/20/08 09:00 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls [Re: RLD]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I will keep this old dead thread going one more post.

RLD, bring it to a Pro Shop unless you have a spinner, the pores will need to be sanded pretty deep to get the wax out, maybe even sanded, then melted out with a rejuvinator, then sanded again.

You know this one started off in 2002, it is even older than that Hammer ball one last month laugh

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

It's never too early for a good deal!
Shop Amazon - Countdown to Black Friday

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Critical Care Kitty needs your help
by steveA - 05:02 PM
Body Moving Left
by SteveH - 05:07 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10/29/14 10:36 PM
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:05 PM
Fall '14 Week 7 virtual league results
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:02 PM
Sore wrist.
by spr3wr - 10/28/14 04:14 PM
Storm Crux Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 10/28/14 02:42 AM
2014 WTBA World Men's Championships
by Richie V. - 10/26/14 09:21 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/26/14 11:34 AM
Rough Comparisons of Storm & Roto Grip balls
by SteveH - 10/25/14 04:33 PM
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - 10/24/14 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - 10/24/14 03:37 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.