BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44952 - 11/05/07 03:53 PM The cold and your balls, is this okay?
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/M/Jackson, MI
To leave my balls in my car all week (in michigan cold), then take them inside the day before using them so they thaw out completely before league? Or will that hurt them the same as taking cold balls and throwing em down the lane?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#44954 - 11/05/07 04:08 PM Re: The cold and your balls, is this okay? [Re: Smooth23]
Richard Koppinger Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 43/M/NJ
This after I watched Farce of the Penguins last night! laugh

My understanding is that this still makes the balls vulnerable to core separation. The coverstock, core and weight block are all different materials with different densities and different rates of expansion and contraction. If the materials repeatedly expand and contract, the ball can be damaged inside without necessarily showing it on the outside.

Anybody care to confirm this? I'd love to hear something more definitive.

#44955 - 11/05/07 04:08 PM Re: The cold and your balls, is this okay? [Re: Smooth23]
General Pounder Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 38/M/Midlothian, IL
I would not recommend this. The fluctuating temp can cause the core/coverstock to expand and contract. This happens too much and the core can separate and you can also crack the surface.

#44957 - 11/05/07 04:23 PM Re: The cold and your balls, is this okay? [Re: General Pounder]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I also had a ball that had permanent discoloration (white swirls) because of leaving the ball out in my trunk.

#44958 - 11/05/07 04:41 PM Re: The cold and your balls, is this okay? [Re: Lefty]
AmpleSound Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 31/M/CO
High and low temperatures are bad for your bowling balls. It is best to never leave them in the car. You could very well crack the cover stock or severely damage the core. If you leave them out in the extremes then say you brought them inside and go to use them and they've lost a step somewhere. It's most likely your core has separated and you just created a 15# or so paper weight...
Roto-Grip Epic Battle - (Heavy/Med)
Brunswick Rattler - (Medium)
Lane Master Sure Strike - (Med/Dry)
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#44959 - 11/05/07 05:01 PM Re: The cold and your balls, is this okay? [Re: Lefty]
General Pounder Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 38/M/Midlothian, IL
Originally Posted By: Lefty
I also had a ball that had permanent discoloration (white swirls) because of leaving the ball out in my trunk.

I have those on a couple where I left them in my trunk. I was more worried about the core than anything.

#44960 - 11/05/07 05:33 PM Re: The cold and your balls, is this okay? [Re: General Pounder]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: General Pounder
Originally Posted By: Lefty

I have those on a couple where I left them in my trunk. I was more worried about the core than anything.

My concern is that there had to be some sort of chemical change to the ball. I can't imagine that's good.

#44963 - 11/05/07 06:53 PM Re: The cold and your balls, is this okay? [Re: Lefty]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
I know it's bad but I'm lazy. I'd have to carry my 3 ball bag up 2 flights of stairs so unless the temps are EXTREME they stay in the truck. I've never had a ball crack or a core seperate. Now that I've said that it's bound to happen.
Storm - Natural

#44969 - 11/05/07 07:41 PM Re: The cold and your balls, is this okay? [Re: Silent Mike]
Calvin Pistorio Online   content
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I try to tell my friend this, but he'll leave his bowling balls in the truck year round unless he needs room in the back seat for people. Other than lifting it in and out of the seat every day that he bowls, it wouldn't be hard for him to do it. He has a couple of 4 inch step ups go get into his door. I take mine in and out almost every time, seeing as I have a single cab pick up truck with nothing covering the bed and sometimes have a passenger. I'll occasionally leave them in there for a day or two but normally at the times when it stays between 50 and 70 degrees. The only ball I've ever had cracked was one that sat in my climate controlled basement for a few months and I went to grab it to use and it was cracked all the way around from one side of the thumb to the other.
HS:763

#44978 - 11/06/07 12:51 AM Re: The cold and your balls, is this okay? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MD
I used to leave mine in the back of my truck also. I started taking them out everynight, but I would leave one ball and a pair of shoes just in case I had time to bowl a quick game or two without going home. One day I went to grab that ball and it was comepletely cracked. I'm glad I dont leave them inside the car. Its a risk I dont wanna take, so I lug them up the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 01:58 PM
Brunswick sold
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:48 PM
Very Strange Ball Track Problem
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 02:05 PM
Resurfacing the Storm Byte
by djp1080 - 07/23/14 11:55 PM
Trying to understand this statement
by SteveH - 07/23/14 10:24 PM
Any rules on speed of play?
by SteveH - 07/22/14 04:17 PM
A loss in my local association
by SteveH - 07/22/14 04:12 PM
Suggestions on a better angel
by mmalsed - 07/21/14 11:41 AM
Two years or no competitive action
by SteveH - 07/19/14 11:41 AM
push away tips
by Dennis Michael - 07/18/14 05:32 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 07/18/14 02:41 PM
Junior gold, Buffalo, NY
by Smooth Stroker - 07/17/14 06:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.