BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30030 - 01/11/06 07:06 PM Pinky Holes
Sidewinder Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 48/M/Virginia
About to get a new ball drilled shortly and am thinking about adding a pinky hole to a)reduce a little top weight and b)help take the strain off my ring finger to reduce soreness. My question is do most people who have them, drill their pinky holes fingertip or conventional? What can I expect as far as revs go?..less, more, same. Thanks!

RotoRoller -

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#30031 - 01/11/06 08:34 PM Re: Pinky Holes
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I have never heard of or seen a pinky hole. Please enlighten me. I believe there is a 4 hole limit in the bowling ball. What is the purpose of having a pinky hole? Most bowlers use the extra hole to make the ball legal because of certain drillings. You can use the extra hole to create more flare or less flare. I have never seen anyone put their pinky in a hole. I guess anything is possible.

Reign of Fire
Rogue Cell
Marvel Pearl
Tropical Storm

USBC level 1 certified coach

#30032 - 01/11/06 09:24 PM Re: Pinky Holes
Sidewinder Offline
Junior

Smooth, my understanding is that the hole limit is 12. One hole for each finger, one vent hole for each finger hole, one weight hole and one inspection hole.

RotoRoller -

#30033 - 01/11/06 10:11 PM Re: Pinky Holes
Sidewinder Offline
Junior

The part of the rules covering how many holes allowed is on page 84.
http://www.bowl.com/downloads/pdf/rules/Chap%207%20-%20Specs%20and%20Certs.pdf

RotoRoller

#30034 - 01/12/06 06:54 AM Re: Pinky Holes
Chief Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 50/Male/Michigan
I use a pinky hole in all of my bowling balls. I have joint problems in my traffic finger (middle) and after bowling I would experience a great deal of stiffness and swelling in the finger. The pinky hole which is drilled as a fingertip without an insert removes some of the stress by distributing the load. I have had no problem with the number of holes in the ball except for some good natured kidding about wanting to get more fingers into my delivery. I have several balls that also have a balance hole so that makes a total of 5 holes which is well within the rules. It is not as rare as you think and it did not create any additional reaction as far as I can tell before and after.

#30035 - 01/12/06 07:01 PM Re: Pinky Holes
jpruett2002 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 33/m/north ga
Intersting, I've never seen or heard of it. I'd like to see one. Where is it drilled in respect to the other two finger holes?

#30036 - 01/13/06 01:53 AM Re: Pinky Holes
Goodah Chunky Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: ??/M/State of Euphoria
Roto,

Pinky holes are usually used by the more elderly crowd to help then hold on to the ball and give them more control. They usually have their balls drilled conventionally but still can't hold on to the ball (meaning both the fingers are too weak to support the weight of the ball).

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">...a)reduce a little top weight...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">The best way is too drill the finger and thumb holes deeper. Why do you want reduce the top weight, is it too high (aka, the ball is illegal)? Putting a pinky hole just to reduce top weight would cause a higher thumb weight. Just remember the legal range of static weights to keep the ball legal: +/- 3oz for top weight, +/- 1oz for side weight and +/-0.5oz for finger/thumb weight.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">...b)help take the strain off my ring finger to reduce soreness...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I assume you have a fingertip grip. This usually caused by an improper fit, either the ring finger span is too long or the middle finger span is too short. Regardless, all (or most of) the weight of the ball is on the ring finger during the downswing and at the point of release - OUCH! Go to your nearest competent ball driller and get the span checked/refitted.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">My question is do most people who have them, drill their pinky holes fingertip or conventional?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">If the drilling is conventional, the pinky hole is also drilled conventional. If it is drilled fingertip, the pinky hole is also drilled the same way...

If you're using a 16lb ball right now you might consider moving down to a 15lb...

Chunky

#30037 - 01/13/06 08:57 PM Re: Pinky Holes
Sidewinder Offline
Junior

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">The best way is too drill the finger and thumb holes deeper. Why do you want reduce the top weight, is it too high (aka, the ball is illegal)? Putting a pinky hole just to reduce top weight would cause a higher thumb weight.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Well, the ball undrilled has 3.3 oz top weight and as layed out, has CG right of center of grip and slight biased towards fingers. I figure the pinky hole might be enough to eliminate a weight hole altogether or at least only require a small one plus I'd like a little more thumb weight on this one. Thanks for the tip checking the span for the ring finger and I'll be sure to have him pull that back a little.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I am gonna get the pinky hole drilled fingertip. Hopefully on Monday. I think I have a similar problem as Chief and had it even before going to fingetip. If this don't work, I'll go back down to 14.

RotoRoller -

#30038 - 01/17/06 10:16 PM Re: Pinky Holes
Rob J in WNY Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 36/M/Lockport, NY
In the sport league I was on last year, one player had a five finger holes - one for each fingertip. Totally legal, as five gripping holes are allowed.

I asked him about all the holes, and he said that he almost couldn't imagine trying to throw with just three holes.

He held one of the highest averages on the sport league. Very smooth delivery, too.

- Rob J

#30039 - 01/18/06 09:38 PM Re: Pinky Holes
jpruett2002 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 33/m/north ga
That's intersesting Rob. I can see where 5 fingers would help your grip as far as putting rotation on the ball, but I have two questions:

1. How many pro shops can actually drill a five hole layout properly?

2. Do you have to change your release to compensate for the extra fingers?

Would really like to hear more about this. Any info would be great. Thanks

idea

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - Today at 02:13 PM
Lane transition and changing balls
by TheDemolitionMan - Today at 12:35 PM
Need some help with my release
by mmalsed - Today at 12:20 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Joe Bowler - Today at 10:58 AM
Ball Weight
by Doogie - Today at 09:33 AM
Shoes - Brunswick versus Dexter?
by Doogie - Today at 09:26 AM
Proper Thumb Pitch for a Semi-Roller convert?
by Joe Bowler - Today at 06:18 AM
Fall '14 virtual league announcements & discussion
by FuriousSam - Yesterday at 03:37 PM
Resurfacing my ball.
by VFF57 - Yesterday at 03:08 PM
Generic weight block (Core)
by MiggityMatt - Yesterday at 02:17 PM
Hard Knocks' Preview: Bowling with WRs
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 11:23 AM
Ebonite Cyclone
by SubaruWRX - 08/31/14 11:42 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.