BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35062 - 11/03/06 08:06 AM PBA Experience Leagues
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Who's thinking about starting one, and what are you planning on doing about it?

I started talking to a couple people that work at a center I bowl at about converting one of our leagues into this type of league.

Is anyone else considering this?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#35069 - 11/03/06 10:53 AM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Lefty]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
I would really welcome such a league, but I can't get a Sport league started - so I doubt this league would be any easier to get going. It really sounds like a great idea though - but I think there are too many people out there that just want to score high on their house shot - wish it was different.

#35070 - 11/03/06 11:14 AM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: SoCal Jeff]
SportBowler Joe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 63/M/SoCal-RH
Wow, I guess were lucky around here (also SoCal) since there's 2 sport/PBA leagues within 6 miles of each other on 2 different days. 14 teams on Monday for sport.

Joe
House 800's (15)

#35076 - 11/03/06 12:24 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: SportBowler Joe]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

Joe - where in So Cal - I have been going off the bowl.com website as far as listing Sport Leagues - I'd like to know where in SoCal they are

thanks

#35077 - 11/03/06 12:38 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: SoCal Jeff]
SportBowler Joe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 63/M/SoCal-RH
Jeff - Corbin Bowl in Tarzana (Angel runs the Sport league)
Matador Bowl in Northridge. Where are you located?

Joe

Edited by NoMoreHouseShots (11/03/06 12:39 PM)
House 800's (15)

#35079 - 11/03/06 12:53 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: SportBowler Joe]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

South Orange County - far away frown

#35090 - 11/04/06 03:59 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Rollin' Cowboy Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/M/Atlanta
The Atlanta area houses have been very slow to adopt Sport Bowling in general and there are only 2 houses in the metro area that offer them on nights that it is impossible for me to join and both are also a little too far to drive from where I live.

I received my currnet USBC Bowler mag during this week and did a little reading on the topic and personally this would be something I would like to get in on but not sure when this is going to happen near my residence especially since this area hasn't become to keen on the Sport concept yet.

Good luck to those of you who have this opportunity and keep us posted on how it progresses.

Cal Russell

It takes balls to play this game.

#35094 - 11/05/06 09:16 AM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Rollin' Cowboy]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Tell me, just what is the difference between this concept and what I bowl in?
Mine are 185+ leagues. Heavy Oil, longer shot. Although handicapped, it makes little difference to the better bowlers.

I know ABT has many tourneys, weekly in this area with a sport shot. Many of the same bowlers bowl every Saturday in one. It is almost like a traveling league, with 9 games, team, doubles, singles. When you bowl enough, and well enough, you get a tournament average.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#35095 - 11/05/06 11:36 AM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Dennis Michael]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
We had been eagerly waiting for the announcement, and when I got the press release I was completely diappointed. The new "PBA Experience" is simply Sport "Light." The ratios are easier, the awards will be different (meaning, more than likely smaller) and it's a complete farce to say the bowlers will bowling on exactly the same conditions as the pros.

I was at convention last April when they went into such detail about how to run a sport league. One of their suggestions was to run the league at least 5 or more weeks on each pattern so that the bowlers get a chance to actually learn something about the pattern. These leagues will be bowling on something new every week. The pros change every week, but they bowl significantly more than 3-4 games per week on a given shot. In another seminar, the speakers were talking about taking topography and other lane issues into consideration. But they're claiming if you shoot a 250 at your PBA experience league it's just like Tommy Jones doing it. Wrong. It will depend on the lane surface (guardian, wood, sythetic or those other overlays), how old the lanes are, and how badly damaged.

In addition, if I do my math correctly, a PBA Experience league starting in January would only run 12 weeks. That seems like an extraordinary amount of work for 12 weeks of bowling.

If this gets the word out about true Sport bowling, then great. But if this becomes their emphasis and main program to promote, I'm really going to want to barf.

#35096 - 11/05/06 11:52 AM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Dennis Michael]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Tell me, just what is the difference between this concept and what I bowl in?
Mine are 185+ leagues. Heavy Oil, longer shot. Although handicapped, it makes little difference to the better bowlers.

I know ABT has many tourneys, weekly in this area with a sport shot. Many of the same bowlers bowl every Saturday in one. It is almost like a traveling league, with 9 games, team, doubles, singles. When you bowl enough, and well enough, you get a tournament average.

These shots are going to be much more difficult than what you bowl on. A typical house shot will have an oil ratio (oil in the middle of the lane compared to oil on the gutter) of 7:1 or greater. Some houses are upwards of 20:1. These conditions will be 3:1. That means there's much less room for error, and there will be no invisable bumper where people can just send the ball out and watch it hook back. When you do that, the ball will go in the gutter.

These conditions will generally take house bowlers who average 220+ and bring then down below 200. It will also cause you to play the lanes different every week, because you have to bowl on a new condition every week. You also won't have the opportunity to expierament week after week on the same condition until you finally figure something out.

So the bowlers who are more accurate and can make the faster adjustments will excel, and should help to bring other bowlers up to that level by making them adjust faster and be more accurate.

I'm personally really excited about this. I can't wait to bowl in a league like this next year.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.