BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10477 - 01/29/03 06:49 PM Drills to help your bowling
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Ageless/M/MD
Hi Everyone...

I thought it would be good to start a new topic on bowling drills to help out the beginner bowler. I will start by posting a couple and Rich and others can jump in and add some more. Hopefully we can come up with a great thread that can be made into a sticky post that appears at the top of the Beginner Forum.

I will talk about the Kneel Down Drill and the One-Step Drill.

Here is how to perform the kneel down drill:

Go up to the foul line with your slide foot, and kneel down on your right knee (for right-handers)use your towel folded up to give your knee a cushion, and have the knee lined up behind your slide foot. So your slide foot is now at the foul line pointed forward, and your knee is on the approach behind and in line with the slide foot and your are leaning on your slide leg with your slide leg side elbow & forearm. The foot of the leg you are kneeling on should be at a diagonal away from your bowling arm for balance. Make sure not to have your head and shoulds go beyond your slide knee or else you are bending too far forward. Have your ball sitting on the approach next to your slide foot. Put your hand in the ball and by lifting up your shoulder, pick up the ball. Now with your muscles (this is the ONLY time to muscle the swing as we need to get the ball moving) push the ball forward and let it FREELY swing back. As it swings forward and passes your body, give it a little more muscle to help it gain height, then let it FREELY swing back. On the next forward swing, let it swing FREELY forward this time releasing the ball at your ankle. Some people benefit by thinking of dropping (relaxing) the thumb toward the palm of your hand as your hand reaches the ankle of your foot.

Now all this time while you are performing this drill, you will be keeping a striaght arm with no elbow bend. NOTE: DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WHERE THE BALL GOES DOWN THE LANE. You are performing a drill to help get the feel for a few things: 1. A free armswing, 2. A striaght arm. 3. The feeling of heavy fingers as the balls weight transfers to your fingers for the split second as the thumb clears the hole. Once you get the feel for this drill, then you can move on to the one-step drill.

Note you can also improvise on the knee down drill by standing up (this is the no-step drill), having your slide foot forward and in the lunge position (knee bent), have your trailing foot behind you and to the side (non bowling hand side) slightly so the ball can clear your hip. Then perform the pushaway, let the ball swing into the backswing, let it swing forward, having that relaxed hand we all talk about, and release the ball down the lane. As with the kneel down drill, the ball should hook off the lane before reaching the pins - if you are hooking the ball. You can also work on a straighter release too.

Here is how to perform the one step drill:

You will take your address position about 2-3 ft from the foul line. If right-handed, drop your right foot back and behind your left foot (this is so your hips are slightly opened). Now perform your pushaway, and let the ball fall FREELY into the backwswing, and keep your arm long and extended - do not let your elbow bend and do not move your feet!!! NO MUSCLING IN THE SWING. As the ball swings back and reaches the top of your backswing, step with your slide foot, let the ball swing FREELY forward, and roll the ball. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT DIRECTION of the ball. Just get used to the arm swing and long arm. REMEMBER in this drill that we want the FREE ARMSWING IN BOTH directions, no muscling.

You can practice the kneel down drill at home rolling the ball into a cushion on the floor.

Keep practicing these drills until you can get your muscle memory engrained for the new striaght arm swing you are looking for. You might even want to video tape yourself while performing the drills to make sure you are executing properly.

Later...Dan

Formula for Improving your Bowling....
Professional Bowlers Service, Inc. + Briggs Consulting = Bowler Educational Seminars -> Results - Improved Bowlers Gaithersburg, MD - Home of Bowler Educational Seminars - Ask me about attending one!!!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#10478 - 01/30/03 06:44 PM Re: Drills to help your bowling
Dizzy Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 49/M/Pennsylvania
DTB300,

I'm familiar with those two drills with some differences. In the kneel down drill the effort with the muscle is only once to pull the ball back to start the swing. Then the subsequent two swings forward and one swing back are free. In the one-step drill the feet are together with the sliding heel up off the approach and the ball starts by hanging at the side. The ball is pulled back into the swing then the arm is let free to swingg forward three times and back twice. On the last backswing the sliding foot moves forward just as the ball passes the knee going back and the bowler goes into a good finishing position at the line just before the ball is released, thus teaching good secondary timing. This helps get the foot to the line before the ball which helps the leverage.

#10479 - 01/31/03 01:13 AM Re: Drills to help your bowling
okorimbo Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 82,male,SF Bay Area
According to the Ritger Coaches Manual the following is noted:
Kneel down drill:Kneel with sliding foot directly in front of kneeling leg.
Bring sliding leg straight. Raise hips and lean slightly forwardwith non-bowling arm pressed down and with a slight lean towards sliding leg.
With ball in hand in proper set-up, raise shoulder so that the ball is off the floor. Make TWO SWINGS backwards and release the ball on the second forward swing. Always start with a backward swing.

For the One Step, drill:
Feet straight across, about 2" apart
Both knees deeply bent a.
Hips back and slightly down
Non-bowling arm out for balance
Ball hanging motionless at the side
Raise sliding heel off the floor
Make 5 swings: starting with back swing
release ball on 3rd forward swing with your sliding step
Maintain balance and make 2 additional swings as ball travels down the lane.the

#10480 - 01/31/03 10:09 AM Re: Drills to help your bowling
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by okorimbo:
According to the Ritger Coaches Manual the following is noted: Kneel down drill:Kneel with sliding foot directly in front of kneeling leg.
Bring sliding leg straight. Raise hips and lean slightly forwardwith non-bowling arm pressed down and with a slight lean towards sliding leg.
With ball in hand in proper set-up, raise shoulder so that the ball is off the floor. Make TWO SWINGS backwards and release the ball on the second forward swing. Always start with a backward swing.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Then the manual, and what is taught at the Ritger camps, is different. I have attended two of the camps, once as a particpant 5 years ago, and once taking someone there and watching. BOTH times, the drill is started with a push forward. The coaches who work with the students hold the students students wrist with their hand feeling for tension in the swing. It was explained that the push forward helps the bowler learn to let the ball swing backwards. If the swing it started backward with muscle, then the student can engrain muscle memory of muscling in the backswing.

BTW, if the manuals are like what was available at the camps, they were full of mistakes, typos, etc. and were poorly bound. But again they had some good information for the new bowler. That is exactly what the Ritger camp is good for - the new bowler.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">
For the One Step, drill: Feet straight across, about 2" apart Both knees deeply bent a. Hips back and slightly down Non-bowling arm out for balance
Ball hanging motionless at the side Raise sliding heel off the floor Make 5 swings: starting with back swing release ball on 3rd forward swing with your sliding step Maintain balance and make 2 additional swings as ball travels down the lane.the
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">This drill has been modified by many of the professional instructors that I have either worked with as a student, or have worked with at Clinics, or have read information on. They now have the non-sliding foot back to help open the hips to let the ball swing on the proper path. If the hips are not slightly open, then it will promote an outward swing by the bowler to get the ball and armswing around the hip. They have also modified it to include the pushaway, to get the students used to pushing the ball away, removing the non-bowling hand at the right time, and letting it FREELY drop into the swing, freely swing back, then forward to the release. Since the non-sliding foot is also back, the majority of the weight is on the non-sliding foot, and this will help the bowler to step and slide with their sliding foot as the ball reaches the top of the backswing. The number of swings has also been reduced as continual swinging CAN cause the bowler to squeeze the ball to hang onto it after it passes their body in the forward swing.

Balance Arm Drill

The balance arm out to the side is a variation of the drill to help those learn the feel of the balance arm in the proper position. The balance arm drill can be done with the one-step as we talked about here, and can also be done using the full approach. For the full approach, take your address position, remove non-bowling hand and point toward wall. Start the approach soon after so tension in the bowling arm does not go on too long. Now start your approach with the balance arm in the same position throughout.

Later....Dan

Professional Bowlers Service, Inc. + Briggs Consulting = Bowler Educational Seminars -> Results - Improved Bowlers Gaithersburg, MD - Home of Bowler Educational Seminars - Ask me about attending one!!!

#10481 - 01/31/03 02:07 PM Re: Drills to help your bowling
okorimbo Offline
USBC Silver Coach

I'd be happy to scan and send you the pages from my copy of the manual.At the Instructor's course in Ithaca the drills were taught as outlined in the manual. They may well have changed over the past few years, everything else in bowling has.
Doc

#10482 - 01/31/03 02:51 PM Re: Drills to help your bowling
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by okorimbo:
I'd be happy to scan and send you the pages from my copy of the manual.At the Instructor's course in Ithaca the drills were taught as outlined in the manual. They may well have changed over the past few years, everything else in bowling has.
Doc
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I also was at Ithaca and it is funny to hear what you experienced and what I experienced. Like you stated, with how bowling has changed, they could have changed with it. But it seemed that while there, it was the Ritger way only with no deviation. There was a bolwer in our group that was a cranker and wanted to improve their game based on being a cranker, and the coaches wanted nothing to do with it. They wanted to completely change their game over from a cranker. Needless to say the participant for the rest of the class was not very interested in what was going on. Maybe they have changed in that respect too.

For myself, I am very tall, yet they wanted to have me standing in front of the front dots on the approach eek and had my steps all compressed up. But the best thing for me about the Ritger experience was I did learn about the free armswing and playing angles on the lane.

The manuals are still a great source of information for drills for the starting students even though I thought they could have produced a more professional product. At least that is what my copies look like.

Later...Dan

#10483 - 01/31/03 02:58 PM Re: Drills to help your bowling
nhoj Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 35/M/IL
To DTB300, I'd just like to thank you for your insight I read in a previous post, "How to hook a ball". The information that you gave about feeling as if your knuckles are dragging the floor while coming through, and feeling the weight of the ball on my fingers at release has helped considerably with turning my shot. It has also helped in giving me a better release point.

#10484 - 02/01/03 02:27 PM Re: Drills to help your bowling
okorimbo Offline
USBC Silver Coach

It is doubtful that we were in the same class at Ithaca. And, it is likely that there have been changes.I do agree that the printed material is rather lacking in quality.
I don't adhere to only one system, Ritger or USA Bowling, or the Super School philosophy. I try to blend everything with my own opinions based on what I think the student's game and physical attributes need. Occasionally I get it right laugh
I 'm 6'1" and I stand at the forward set of dots and take small steps. My wife, who is 5'3" usually stands at the rear set of dots and takes longer steps than I do. Whatever works is correct.
As for the Ritger Camp's philosophy and the cranker's problem,, I believe that l'd assume that the purpose of the camp is to teach the Ritger system, and that the purpose of the Ritger Instructor's Camp is to teach coaches the Ritger system. confused
In any event, we probably agree more than we disagree, once we get past semantics. thumbsup
Doc

#10485 - 02/01/03 02:33 PM Re: Drills to help your bowling
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by NHOJ:
To DTB300, I'd just like to thank you for your insight I read in a previous post, "How to hook a ball". The information that you gave about feeling as if your knuckles are dragging the floor while coming through, and feeling the weight of the ball on my fingers at release has helped considerably with turning my shot. It has also helped in giving me a better release point. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">NHOJ....

Glad to hear my posts have helped you out. Different people need different words to help visualize and help them execute a drill. I am glad to hear that mine helped out.

Later...Dan

#10486 - 04/24/03 01:19 PM Re: Drills to help your bowling
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">..I believe that l'd assume that the purpose of the camp is to teach the Ritger system,... </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">And that is why I'll never attend a Ritger Camp. I believe that a "good" coach will build on a bowlr's game by correcting flaws and adding improvements, NOT by totally rebuilding the game unless that is what the bowler wants.

Just my .02 worth. laugh

Colin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Wrist Guards
by djp1080 - Today at 10:01 PM
Any North Carolinians here?
by ffemtreed - Today at 03:10 PM
sand baggers
by mmalsed - Today at 01:46 PM
Storm Optimus Video Ball Review
by Rocket Jr - Today at 12:20 PM
Need help picking angles from dual angle system
by B-Hammer - Today at 01:14 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Storm balls.
by Rocket Jr - Yesterday at 12:24 PM
Building an Arsenal
by goneal32 - Yesterday at 10:26 AM
is there a website to see the top selling balls?
by ngvjeff - Yesterday at 10:00 AM
Tournaments 2013-2014
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - Yesterday at 09:09 AM
is there a good site for overseas balls
by champ - 09/16/14 05:52 PM
Best week of bowling ever
by Richie V. - 09/15/14 11:38 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.