Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good

Posted by: getting old

Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/14/03 11:35 AM

Can someone suggest where I can get a used ball spinner or plans on how to build one yourself?

Also what to look for when you are in the market to buy, I don't want to buy a cheap imitation that will break after a few uses?
Posted by: Wes K

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/14/03 10:00 PM

A couple of months ago, I was in the market for a spinner. After reading several positive comments about the Vertex spinner on the ASB newsgroup and the "coverstock preparation forum" of [Banned-URL].com, I went ahead a bought one (although I was worried that I was buying a "cheap imitation" as you mentioned).

The Vertex spinner has been great! It has a sturdy metal base and does not wobble while the ball is spinning. It spins at 450 RPM, which seems to be "just enough" for my purposes.

In addition to routine cleaning and polishing, I was able to sand out all of the track scratches from a couple of balls, and they came out "like new."

Anyway, I've only had the spinner a couple of months, so I don't know about how well it will do over the long haul, but it certainly seems to be well built; I expect it to last a good long time.
Posted by: Bowlerski

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/15/03 12:29 AM

Hello "old",

I have a spinner from Donkee in my house and it does quite well for my purposes. It does wobble a little bit on high RPM's. I have the biggest one they have, and have done a lot of full resurfaces, to mine, my wifes, and teammates equipment. I've had it now for six months, and I've definately got my moneys worth. It has worked very well, and with the large one, the splash guard was free. I don't recall if it still is. Innovativebowling also has one out that works quite well, but is a little more expensive.
Posted by: JimSut

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 12/18/03 11:25 PM

Hello,

I got the plans for mine off ebay. It took me a couple of months to acquire everything needed (working on it part time), but the assembly only took me two evenings in my garage. It works great, variable in speed from about 400-900 rpm. It cost me about sixty bucks to get all the stuff necessary to build it. A friend of mine has the vertex model, and I like mine much better.

take care,

Jim
Posted by: SoCalBoomer

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/12/04 01:01 AM

I built one from scratch. I had used a donkee for a while but wanted something more heavy duty.

I used a dryer motor, ordered a conical bearing and a needle bearing and a couple of other little pieces from McMaster Carr and used some square-stock metal (and a friend who is a welder) and built it.

I like it far better than the donkee. It doesn't wobble PERIOD. I've put the most non-round-core ball in the worst possible orientation in order to try to get it to wobble. Nada.
Posted by: Lefty

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/22/05 09:20 AM

Does anyone have plans for a spinner that they'd like to share? I'm interested in building one, but I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to judge how strong it needs to be.
Posted by: Coach04

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/22/05 10:44 AM

When I was looking into it, I compared the prices of all the components to build one, and it was more expensive to build a good one, than buy one.

You could scrounge around and get lucky finding materials to build with. But for the price of a new ball you can buy one. For about 1 1/2 times the price of a new ball you can get a really good, two speed, heavy duty spinner.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/22/05 03:23 PM

I can get a free used motor no problem, and I know a guy who has two(2) CNC machines in his basement, so I think I'd be able to do this fairly cheaply..
Posted by: Coach04

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/22/05 10:36 PM

No real need for a CNC machine....

You need a heavy steel plate for the base, have it bent on all four sides so you have a recess to house the pulleys & belt, have the corners welded so it wont spring. Put some heavy duty shock mount feet on it. Drill it so the motor can be mounted shaft down, you'll need a totally enclosed motor. You'll will need a mandrel with the bearings loaded to take heavy end thrust and side load. Calculate the pully sizes to give you about 480 RPM on the bowl. Devise a belt tensioning device. Build or buy a metal or heavy plastic bowl to hold the ball. Treat the lip with some type of soft yet durable material so it wont mar the ball. Build a splash shield kind of in the shape of a fruit basket to catch the waste product slung off with the water. Oh and make sure the motor and all electrical components are waterproof. As well as all lubricated shafts and bearings.

Or order one online for around $150, and just plug it in.... smile
Posted by: PROGRIND

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/05/06 03:40 PM

I'm also in the market, my pro shop is now charging $4 a ball to clean them. OK plus I like to tinker with surface finishes.Has anyone seen one for under $160?
Posted by: Scout

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/07/06 05:48 PM

Just add about 30 bucks and you can get one form Donkee.com. I bought the 1/3 hp model and it works just great.
Posted by: Scout

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/09/06 08:53 PM

but they get you in the shipping
Posted by: Andrew B

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/27/06 03:34 PM

I have a Donkee 2 speed spinner and I think it was one of the best investments that I could have made. If I decided to charge my friends for the work that I do for them I could have paid for it already! It is a good investment if you plan to use it.
Posted by: Saint-Jake

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 04/09/06 07:23 PM

Hey Group,
When you use them do you also use water at the same time?? what exactly is the correct process for re-surfacing a ball?

Thanks
Posted by: I BOWLXXX

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 09/01/06 01:08 PM

Well I worked in a proshop for awhile, and the way i was taught to resurface a ball was 1. you do need water so you dont eat away your coverstock. 2. Sand the ball on four sides which would be with the CG up, Then flip it to where the fingers and thunb are down. Then from there flip it on its side. then flip it over again so its on the other side.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 12/14/06 09:59 AM

General question here.

I had my TS&A resurfaced a week ago. Box specs called for 400 grit finish. The pro shop said that with the age and use of the ball, he would take it down to 250.

I now find this ball has renewed hook, but too much.

Can I lessen the friction by going in reverse by resanding back to, say 600?
Posted by: Brian Longo

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 12/14/06 10:58 AM

I wouldn't have dropped it that much. I would've brought it back to 320. 600 will be higher than the box finish, and thus will have more skid than fresh out of the box.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 12/14/06 11:19 AM

Thanks Brian. Since, my guy does it for free, and lets a counter kid do it, I think the kid was having trouble finding the right grit emory to bring it down. He settled on 250, which is what he could find. I just have to take some off to lessen the friction.
Posted by: Brian Longo

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 12/14/06 12:03 PM

Yeah, just bump it up to 320. You could even hit it with a red Scotch Brite pad dry and it will be around 320.
Posted by: steveinhawaii

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/02/07 10:03 PM

I also purchased the Donkee. On low rpms it spins smoothly, but on high rpms has a good bit of wobble. Doesn't really bother me as I only use high rpm to polish, but I imagine it might annoy others. As others have said that the Vertex doesn't wobble I kinda wish I got that one. Live and learn.
Posted by: PSBA10

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/26/07 01:49 PM

I have a Vertex spinner, and depending on the ball orientation it will wobble also. Nothing I worry about though. It works quite well.
Posted by: Roy

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/28/07 05:23 PM

Well from the research I've done, the Vertex is spinning only around 435-450 rpm's. And the Donkee spins at 475 and 675 rpm's. And I've only heard that the Donkee wobbles at the higher speed. Sounds as if the Vertex might have some wobble depending on where the top weight is oriented at its one speed of 435+ rpm. So if the Vertex was capable of hitting the 675 rpm's that the Donkee is hitting it would most likely be a bad wobbler too. Donkee seems to be the only one with the splash guard, and I really don't have a $35+ need for a foot control pedal. So as soon as the Donkee's 3/4 hp are back in stock, I think this will be my choice.
Posted by: Bigpirdy

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/03/08 10:30 PM

i haven't found one for less $240.00 if someone has seen a ball spinner for $160.00 please give up the location. if someone has plans to build one i would like for them to share the plans with me. thanks
Posted by: Reader

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/04/08 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Brian Longo
Yeah, just bump it up to 320. You could even hit it with a red Scotch Brite pad dry and it will be around 320.

Brian-

Do you have a source for the different color 3M pads with reasonable prices?

Read

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/04/08 11:09 PM

where can you get a spinner for $160.00?
Posted by: TenPin_

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/06/08 12:30 PM

I haven't seen any for $160. The least expensive I have found is $199, both Donkee and Vertex Mold have one for that price. I've never used any of those so can't say if they are any good, but I do believe in general you get what you pay for. If you aren't going to be using it but a few times a year, then an inexpensive spinner will probably be fine. If you are going to use it frequently spend the extra money and get a good, heavy duty spinner with a heavy metal base and metal ball cup. Then offer to your fellow bowlers to clean / sand / polish their balls for them for $3 or $5 to help offset the cost. smile

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/06/08 08:00 PM

I totaly agree about getting what you pay for...
I have a motor and I think I can build one for a fraction of the price of a donkee and a vertex. If all works well I will post how I did it and all of us can enjoy the use of a good ball spinner.
Posted by: Keglndude

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/13/08 09:58 AM

I just made a spinner using a table top drill press. With some modifications the total cost was about $75.00. Variable speed and minimal wobble. Looks good and works great. Anybody want more info I can take pics.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/13/08 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Keglndude
I just made a spinner using a table top drill press. With some modifications the total cost was about $75.00. Variable speed and minimal wobble. Looks good and works great. Anybody want more info I can take pics.

That would be great!
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/13/08 06:47 PM

I was just at a salvage type place today. They had an electric motor that would probably have had plenty of power. Everything else I've read here though seems to suggest I would need some welding prowess, which I don't have. Does the drill press solution assemble easily?

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/15/08 07:42 PM

The drill press idea works great. No welding invoved.
If I could load some pics I would, but I'm having trouble doing that. For now I will try to explain the process. The bench top drill press comes with a stand and the motor drill assembly. I turned the motor drill assembly upside down with the shaft which holds the chuck face up. I did not use the chuck. The shaft holds the plate which the bowl will sit on. Since this plate needs a hole directly centered and that fits on the shaft, I used a solid pulley with the same diameter as the shaft. The stainless steel bowl then is bolted to the pulley. The pulley is used for convenience and is only used to hold the bowl.
Now the tough part. The whole motor asembly which now has the bowl mounted on to it should be placed on the stand. The stand consists of a steel pole and the base. It also has a work platform that connects to the pole. This work platform will support the motor assembly. The motor assembly can fit onto the pole but it won't go all the way down to the platform. A hole using a hole drill must be cut through the covering. This covering is thin metal and houses the two pulleys and the belt that turns the whole contraption. Once this hole is drilled the motor assembly can be lowered all the way down to the base. Then, the pole can be measured and cut flush with the motor assembly. The idea is to get the bowl posotioned perfectly centered on the pulley(plate). This is the best I can do right now. I already resurfaced one ball using those new sanding pads and it turned out great. When the balls weight block is not centered, and this will happen as you turn the ball over, I did get some wobble. I ended up bolting the machine to my work table with good results. The drill press cost me about $70.00 and the stainless steel bowl cost $12.00. I had all the bolts and drills and everything else. So for less than $100.00 I got myself a spinner that works very well. ASk me specifics. Maybe you guys have an idea better than this.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/15/08 07:59 PM

Thanks for the info, but it's hard to see without pics. Can you load them to someplace like http://www.flickr.com and then link them?

Again, thanks for putting this together!

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/16/08 05:23 AM

I will try tonight. Can HTML be enabled. Maybe that is the problem.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/16/08 07:55 AM

You can use UBB Code. It's like HTML, but it's not wink. If you have a link to an image, you put [ img ] Link_to_pic [ /img ] around it, without the spaces within the tag.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/16/08 03:16 PM

you lost me on the tough part... making the work stand. try to get those pics up. can u still use the varialble speed on the drill press?

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/16/08 08:30 PM

Explain the UBB again. You can still use a variable speed by changing the belt on the pulleys which are inside the cover. Pictures will explain everything.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/16/08 09:37 PM

i thought that was the way you would change the speed. were you able to upload the pics? i think i understand now about mounting it on the pole, but i still would like to see some images.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/17/08 10:35 AM

Explain the UBB again.

If you upload the photos to another site, you can link them here with the UBB code I explained. You can also click on the "Enter an Image" button to link to an image that's hosted somewhere else.

For the UBB code, you have the link to an image (like http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TM5SC72TL._AA280_.jpg ). You then put the "image" tags around it to make it appear like this

If you quote my message, you'll see exactly what it looks like.
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 01/17/08 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Lefty
Explain the UBB again.

If you upload the photos to another site, you can link them here with the UBB code I explained. You can also click on the "Enter an Image" button to link to an image that's hosted somewhere else.

For the UBB code, you have the link to an image (like http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TM5SC72TL._AA280_.jpg ). You then put the "image" tags around it to make it appear like this

If you quote my message, you'll see exactly what it looks like.

HEY! You're pretty smart. That sounds lots easier than the stuff necessary to embed an image while posting and you could (presumably) edit in text around the images as well, no?

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 01/18/08 09:42 AM

Originally Posted By: 6_ball_man

HEY! You're pretty smart. That sounds lots easier than the stuff necessary to embed an image while posting and you could (presumably) edit in text around the images as well, no?

Yep, you can put whatever you want, wherever you want.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/19/08 10:06 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/archives/date-posted/2008/01/19/

Here some pics for the Keglndude Spinner. Any questions just ask.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/21/08 09:54 PM

Awsome job, that thing is wicked. Great enginuaty and skill. I bought a drill press just like that and i would like to know how many amps does your motor pull? It should be listed on the press somewhere. thanks and again great job!!!!
Posted by: PSBA10

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/22/08 06:42 AM

Keglndude, your spinner looks great, however I think I would add a shield around the motor or seal it somehow. In order to resurface your balls, you will be using copious amounts of water. It will get thrown everywhere, including into the openings in the motor. This can/will cause serious issues with shorting, shocking, and at the extreme, electrocution.
Posted by: ChenZ3n

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 01/22/08 12:05 PM

edited...

got any pics of where you had to modify the housing?

A "step by step" with pics would probably make you the darling of the DIY bowling world.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 01/22/08 05:52 PM

New pics with descriptions.

Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 01/22/08 07:15 PM

You'll want to make sure there's a heavy duty rubber edging around the cup so the ball doesn't slip while appying pressure and get the ball all scratched up

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 01/22/08 07:37 PM

I had some nice weatherstripping that worked real nice.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 01/23/08 09:15 AM

Those are the same pics smile

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 01/23/08 04:20 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/archives/date-posted/2008/

If this doesn't work click on January

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/23/08 04:24 PM

Don't know the amps but they are all pretty much the same, unless you bought a heavy duty model. The one I purchased is 1/3 HP. Really wanted 1/2 HP but this one seems to do the job.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/23/08 09:24 PM

thanks for the reply...
Posted by: gg

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 04/06/08 09:44 AM

New to forum. I happen to have a bench top drill press and was wondering why I could not just put the motor and head assembly upside down on my work bench and chuck in a bowl with a bit shank attached ? Why did you not use the chuck?

GG

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 04/07/08 07:15 PM

I don't see why you couldn't do that. I liked the idea of it being mounted. I'll tell you thou, this thing is sweet. I have used it numerous times already with great results. As far as using the chuck........I thought that I wanted the bowl to be closer to the base and thus would have less wobble. If you use the chuck assembly the bowl will be about 2-3" above the base. Be my guest and try it. Just let me know cause I plan on making more. Thanks for the interest.

Keglndude
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 04/07/08 09:28 PM

Just make sure you tighten the chuck with a chuck key before each use so you don't loose a limb, we don't need industrial accidents on this site. I don't want to see a post that starts off with, I tore my thumb off in a drill press I was using as a spinner, any ideas as to how to bowl league tonight? nut
Posted by: gg

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 04/10/08 04:56 PM

Hi, i was thinking (a dangerous thing I know)but you probably have something there about less wobble the closer the cup to the head. I have not had time yet to try a few test runs but I have a question. You said you bolted a cup to a pully --is that right? I assume you locked it down with allen screws, is that right? With the chuck seat being tapered how did you get it tight enough to keep from wobbling? If you could post a photo that would help.
Thanks
Posted by: pup

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 04/14/08 08:15 PM

I saw where you built your ball spinner from a dril press.This was a good ideal. I already had the drill press. Bought a thick metal bowl at trift store for two dollars. Drilled a hole in the center. Cut the head off a 2 1/2 X 1/2 bolt one that the threads don't go all the way to the head. Put a nut then a large washer bowl then another washer and nut. The washers help support plus if the bowl wobbles you can make the hole a little bigger and adjust the wobble out. I removed the cover top cut the hole in the bottom cover. Had to file a little in the top of the press housing and knock a pin out that kept the pipe from going all the way thru. I removed the adjustable table and slid everything to the bottom support or stand. Chucked the bowl in the chuck and tighten. Turned it on. It needed very little adjustment. I then tighten the the two nut on the bowl. Stretched a thick sock over the bowl left the rest in the bowl. Put an old ball in for the test. Worked great. I have polished 6 or 7 balls and put a 2000 grit finish on a old hammer ball. Used a spray bottle with
water and a 2000 pad looks great. $42.00 total Thanks Pup

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 04/14/08 10:38 PM

Oh yes, I did forget about that part. The shaft that is home to the chuck is tapered. The pulley that is used as a support for the dog bowl does have an allen screw that is tightend to secure it to the shaft. Here is the secret. The shaft has to be ground down to make it even all the way down. Hers how that is done......With the drill press running, take a high speed hand held grinder and run it against the chuck shaft, making sure that you don't stay in one spot too long. With both the shaft and the grinder spinning at the same time, you should be able to achieve a perfectly straight and true shaft. Make it just right to fit through the pulley. Only take a little off at a time. Took me awhile but fits perfectly. Thanks for the interest.

Keglndude
Posted by: J_w73

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/16/08 02:08 PM

My $35 ball spinner.

Variable speed polisher sander from Harbor freight. $29
A 6 gallon pail from my work... uhmmmm - free
nuts and washers from the $3.00
Flow pot from Walmart $2.00

The polisher says 200 rpm to 3377 rpm. I'm not sure if the slow speed is 200 but i think it needs to be slower so I might go get a potentiometer from Radio shack and wire it in there. I also need to do something with the base of the polisher. It works fine but I would like it to be a little more stable at higher speeds. The tub hits the side of the pail a little bit. I think I will get some longer bolts and extend the bolts that hold the handle so that they go through the outside of the pail.
Might need some larger washers for a more sturdy base for the tub also. For a first try and just throwing it together is works awesome.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/16/08 02:26 PM

I see one thing attached to the polisher - is it the tub or the pail? Where/what is the other piece?

How do you hold the polisher in place?

EDIT - Ok, I see the other pictures now smile Does the weight of everything keep it in one place when it's on? Does the sander have a switch to stay on, so you can just turn it on, then use 2 hands for the task at hand?

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/16/08 02:31 PM

I finally got the pics straight..
should be a good post now.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/16/08 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: cgeorg
I see one thing attached to the polisher - is it the tub or the pail? Where/what is the other piece?

How do you hold the polisher in place?

EDIT - Ok, I see the other pictures now smile Does the weight of everything keep it in one place when it's on? Does the sander have a switch to stay on, so you can just turn it on, then use 2 hands for the task at hand?

Yes.. the polisher sits up from the handle. The pail holds the other end in place and keeps it from torquing. The switch has a button to hold it down so that the polisher stays on.
Like I said.. I might extend the bolts that hold the handle on so that they go through the pail so that the polisher won't move side to side at all. I think that is needed because the polisher and ball trys to move when you put pressure on it while sanding
Posted by: intheZONE782

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/30/08 08:12 AM

Taking on a project of making a 'homemade' spinner. Luckily we know an engineer firend who happened to have an extra washing machine motor...don;t ask me why...Went out and bought a 1000-watt turn-style dimmer switch and a standard 4" hex-locking pulley and vioala! I still have to find a bowl of some sort to put on it, but it should work fine and we only spent 20 bucks..of course..the motor was free, but this should be a cheap alternative. Once i get the bowl mounted I will have a better idea of RPM's, but with the dimmer switch it is fully adjustable to about any speed I need. I will post pics soon.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/30/08 09:24 AM

Sounds good. This is one of my Winter projects. Course, I have been saying that for 2 years now.

As for the bowl, I saw some flower pots made out of rubber/vinyl that could work. I felt a little dumb carrying my ball into the nursery and trying them for size.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/30/08 09:34 AM

I saw that a couple posts above here..looks good and probably wouldn't worry about scratching the ball like a metal bowl would...
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/30/08 04:21 PM

Donkey makes a workstation cup for bowling balls that has a rubber top edge. Its about the size of the cup on a regular spinner. It can be found at donkee.com/workstation.htm.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/30/08 07:44 PM

Actually i just found a durable plastic mixing bowl- here are some pics of the progress. We are builiding a housing this weekend and it should be finished.

Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/31/08 09:49 AM

Very nice.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/07/08 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: infernocal
Donkey makes a workstation cup for bowling balls that has a rubber top edge. Its about the size of the cup on a regular spinner. It can be found at donkee.com/workstation.htm.

They will sell you the bowl from their actual spinner for 11 bucks.. 15 bucks with the rubber ring that keeps the ball from spinning ....there is a minimum $20 order so you will have to throw in an abralon pad too..

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/07/08 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: intheZONE782
Actually i just found a durable plastic mixing bowl- here are some pics of the progress. We are builiding a housing this weekend and it should be finished.

How does it work set up like that? .. Does the weight of the ball have any adverse effects on the motor. I need to switch my set up to use a belt and pulley system like the real spinners. The polisher doesn't like the weight from the ball and the weight from the pressure while sanding.. the gearing in the head of the polisher gets a little hot and is noisy.. I like your direct drive set up if the motor bearings and bushings can handle it..
I might be able to just use the motor from the polisher in a set up like yours.. I also have a washer that I am getting rid of wink
I also found that as you put pressure on the ball while sanding and put strain on the motor I think the variable speed resistor in my polisher heats up and therefore changes the amount of volts it lets go... so when you let up on the ball the speed wants to take off.. any trouble like that with your wall mount variable light switch

where did you get your bowl..??

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/11/08 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: J_w73
Originally Posted By: infernocal

They will sell you the bowl from their actual spinner for 11 bucks.. 15 bucks with the rubber ring that keeps the ball from spinning ....there is a minimum $20 order so you will have to throw in an abralon pad too..

I just got the ball cup from the Donkee spinner. It isn't that great.. without the rubber piece it won't hold the ball that well. I thought I could just line the edge with some black tape or some other tacky material.. it won't work.. the cup is way to big without the rubber piece that is supposed to go in it. So with the piece it might be better but I don't know..
I bought some rubber mat that I am going to secure to the inside and see if that works.
Posted by: Brian Pickell

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/11/08 07:24 PM

It might be cheaper to go to an auto parts store and purchase some trunk weatherstripping.
Posted by: forlon4

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 12/27/08 10:34 AM

Hi, i'm from Canada and am looking for a ball spinner , prefer to make my own. It seems after reading the forum many say that they built, got plans via this or that , but did anyone ever provide you with them. I read the forum checked most repliers posts and was unable to find any. If you did receive any do you think that you could send them along my way, if you would I would be very greatful.--------------------best regards Peter
Posted by: latebowler

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 03/31/09 06:39 AM

Hello everyone, I stumbled on this thread and want to share a few pics of my made ball spinner, one of my employee had made for me. I was forced to make one with no choice, because I'm living in asia now and took up bowling as a past time, it is really hard to find good bowling balls here for a decent price without shipping it, only way I can get a good ball is when I go on a business trip and lug back 2 bowling balls everytime if in the right country with varieties, so I try to maintain them well. Shipping and import tax would had been 3 times the price if I ordered a spinner from the states.
so would someone tell me how to post a pic and i would share.
Works great, heavy duty quality for about $100 USD. lol, was really happy with it when he brought it to my house acouple days ago.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 03/31/09 06:46 AM

Can someone tell me how to post a jpg straight from my computer? thanks

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 03/31/09 08:50 AM

You have to click on the "Switch to Full Reply Screen" and then click on the link for "File Manager".

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 03/31/09 09:05 AM

I use tinypic.com You up load a photo to that sight and it gives you the url for posting to a forum or sending in an email. I think Dennis was the one that pointed me to that sight. Its been very useful.

Erin

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 03/31/09 01:27 PM

I had this made from an employee of mine
total cost = 100 USD
weight = 15 kg
3/4 HP
450 RPM at the momment, getting it moded to 2 speed in the acouple of days

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 03/31/09 01:30 PM

I will post more pics of the bottom that will show some parts of the inside when I bring it back to get it moded again.
Posted by: Birddog

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 04/24/09 03:23 AM

very nice! can't wait to see the guts underneath
Posted by: tazlittleking

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 05/13/09 11:47 AM

I made my own with a harbor freight drill press. Works wonderful. Basicly it is flipped over and I took a metal dog dish/large bolt and chucked it up. Super glued rubber tube on the rim and set the belt/drill for lowest rpm at 600 rpm. It is very nice to have your own ball spinner!

I should take a video of it so you can see it. Cost me less then $50 total!
Posted by: mikhial66

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 06/16/09 04:47 PM

For anyone who has used a drill press to make a spinner: is a drill press with a 1/3 HP (120V, 60 hz, 1 Phase, 1725 RPM) motor enough? I'm looking at one on craigslist at the moment for $75 and hoping I can talk him down a little bit if this will do the job.

By the way, I was planning on following this vid:

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 06/16/09 05:16 PM

IDK, looks wobbly to me, which means that it will take a toll on the machine. Doesn't look too stable. I can imagine that it would be challenging to get the hole in the bowl drilled exactly center. It also doesn't look like its spinning fast enough or stable enough to put much pressure on the ball for refinishing. I'd also keep in mind your work height too. You want it at a reasonable working height so you can bear down on it. The lining on the edge of the bowl is a must. I might try that rubber handle liquid stuff. The stuff you dip tool handles in? Put it in a tin foil throwaway pan (unless you want a divorce real quick, then use the wife's) and dip the bowl/s.

Erin

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 06/16/09 05:26 PM

There's another DIY video on youtube that is pretty much the same thing and that one is a lot more stable. He has padding on the edge of the bowl (But the bowl is way too small so the ball sits on, not in, the bowl. If you get the drill press drilled to a table and the bowl center, it should be stable. I'm thinking of getting weather stripping to line the bowl (the kind that lines your trunk). Putting weight on the drill press itself might be a problem, though, as I don't know how strong they are.
Posted by: tybo003

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/30/09 01:33 PM

intheZONE782: PM sent thanks

socalboomer: PM sent thanks
Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/01/09 05:02 PM

Don't forget the GFI, since you'll be dripping water all over the place...
Posted by: Justinmill14

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/01/09 05:25 PM

I made mine off of one of the videos on the internet. First bowl we couldn't get centered well enough. Second bowl, my dad took it to work and had a guy with all kinds of tools center it. It works perfectly fine for me and I love it!
Posted by: Leopard11

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/06/09 01:36 PM

I have seen a few video's on youtube and to be honest some look kind of dangerous. A superglued 1/2" bolt used as a shaft to one of the pulleys.. Wouldnt it be easier just to buy an electric motor for $40 and mount it to a frame? The bowl would be attached directly to the motors shaft...

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/12/09 11:47 PM

The video doesn't address water. Its best to sand balls with water. If you get water down into this electrical drill press what happens? If your seal is not perfect you will also get water in the bottom of the bowl, which will again drip down into the electrical drill press. Two stainless steel bowls rotating is going to generate a lot of static electricity and if they are not secured, could also contribute to the electical error possibilities. I don't think super glue would secure the two bowls. You'd need to to silver braze them together. Or you could use a more rigid plastic like PVC piping if you could find it in a big enough diameter.

The more I think about it, the more I think of this contraption as being the next Darwin Award.

Erin

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/13/09 12:01 AM

I use mine 4 times a week cleaning 2 the 3 balls each time and already have resurface and refinished a few balls. Mine is rock solid and is made with a Harbor Freight $35 drill press. Used the large bolt to bowl and very little wobble.

Love it!

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/13/09 01:09 AM

This works wonderfull! Love having my own spinner. Was wondering if it would be worth $300 up for spinner and I think it is. To have to only pay $35 makes it even sweeter. Totally has paid for itself over and over.

Posted by: Jer

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 08/13/09 01:22 PM

Keglndude, can you sent me a picture of your home made ball spinner.

Thanks,
Jerry
Posted by: Adam_T

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/13/09 03:02 PM

I made one and am quite pleased. I got a used drill press for $40 that looked like new, the small 8" made in china press. I spent $5 on SS bowl, $5 on rubber trim for bowl edge, Oh I had to buy a 1/2" Fine thread trap and bolt and washers, maybe $10 total and I have lots of 5 gallon buckets and used one for my spin/spray catcher.

I'll post some pics and videos if anyone wants to see mine all though it looks like the others, except my spray guard.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/13/09 08:08 PM

I'd be interested to see it

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 08/14/09 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: mikhial66
I'd be interested to see it

Here is the pics, the video is uploading as I speak.

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/rckrzy1/bowling/
Posted by: RONBRIMLOW

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 08/17/09 10:08 PM

jay hawk bowling supply sells used ,but for that kind of price get on www.bowlersindex.com and buy a donkee spinner good price and works really well.
Posted by: loc

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 08/19/09 09:04 PM

Where the heck to you find a 9/16 tap? Also having a hard time finding a 9/16 bolt. What thread is needed? -12,-20,-24 etc.

I have checked Harbor Freight, Sears, local auto parts stores, not taps for 9/16, only up to 1/2 inch.

Edit: Maybe Grainger, I will check.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 08/19/09 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: loc
Where the heck to you find a 9/16 tap? Also having a hard time finding a 9/16 bolt. What thread is needed? -12,-20,-24 etc.

I have checked Harbor Freight, Sears, local auto parts stores, not taps for 9/16, only up to 1/2 inch.

Edit: Maybe Grainger, I will check.

My drill press used a 1/2" tap available at any ACE hardware.
Posted by: RONBRIMLOW

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 08/21/09 12:06 PM

J&B FRIEGHT OR fASTENAL SPECIALIZE IN NUS BOLTS TAPS TOOLS

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built - 08/30/09 09:47 AM

Originally Posted By: RONBRIMLOW
J&B FRIEGHT OR fASTENAL SPECIALIZE IN NUS BOLTS TAPS TOOLS
You need to look into buying one of these smile

Posted by: n777bh

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 10/31/09 06:37 PM

I just got an Innovative Personal Ball spinner 1/2 HP. It's 200 for the 1/3 HP motor and 230 for the 1/2 HP one. It's made of very heavy injection molded plastic. The price is a lot better than for the aluminum units.

It's very stable and it didn't slow down even when I was pressing hard using polish. So far I like it a lot.
Posted by: BigPoppaJ

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 12/20/09 01:16 PM

ive gotta recommend vertex. Talk to Doug directly. Gave me an awesome deal on a blem and i live 20 minutes away so i was able to bypass the shipping. Ive done a full resurface, on a no mercy, black widow venom, and cleaned up my virtual gravity with no problems so far. ive got the 1/2 but he told me the 1/3 would have been plenty. Anyhow, best of luck no matter which way you go.
Posted by: lebowski120669

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/25/10 11:43 PM

http://www.bowlingball.com/vertex-mold-ball-spinner-1-2-horse-power-bowling-accessory.html

Bought this one in Dec. 2008 and have been very pleased with it. I usually do 1 or 2 balls before the motor is a little warm. No negative reviews posted so far.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/27/10 11:00 AM

Just wanted to chime in that my 35 dollar homemade ball spinner is still going strong. I clean two to three balls 4 times a week. Also just resurfaced two balls. They feel and look like new. Has paid for itself over and over. When Harbor Freight has another sale gonna get another and jig it up so that I will never be down.
Posted by: lebowski120669

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/04/10 12:18 PM

Here some pics for the Keglndude Spinner. Any questions just ask.

Dang! That's pretty cool. Nice job. I know I don't have the patience & do-all to pull that off.
Posted by: desertdog71

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/04/10 04:40 PM

I am waiting for our clothes dryer to crap out. laugh
Posted by: r534me

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 03/17/10 08:18 PM

I bought my vertex 1/2 hp model used on Craigslist for $150.00. Works pretty good.
Posted by: JackZ

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 03/17/10 11:48 PM

Mine uses an old washer motor, some pulleys and a belt from work, and a cradle with 2 sets of ball bearings on the shaft that I got from a teammate. I built the base out of leftover wood and used particle board to surround it so it doesn't make too much of a mess.

Unless you're real handy with materials and tools, go buy one. Something happens and you'll be taking a trip in an ambulance. Vertex's seem to be great from what I've seen.
Posted by: Nickn89

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 04/01/10 05:35 PM

Hey guys i went through all the threads about homemade spinners and decided to make one myself.

After trial and error i made one using a vertical mounted bench grinder (Pictures below), but i'm having a few problems and i would very much appreciate it if someone who made one (or not) can help me.

First - and most important i think - is that i'm having trouble finding the exact center of the bowl. I already wasted 2 bowls (Thank God they were cheap :)) and while it may seem fine at high speed and with no ball, once i load the ball it starts moving around *a lot*

I'm also under the impression that the bowl i'm using is not rigid enough (especially the bottom). I had an idea to reinforce the bottom of the bowl with a round piece of metal (possibly the bottom of another bowl or so) but i wanted to ask you guys first.

I will probably shield everything before using it because of water and i will also add a dimmer switch.

Any help would be appreciated
Feedback-Comments are always welcome smile

EDIT: Sorry for the huge pictures

Posted by: JackZ

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 04/01/10 07:55 PM

I'd re-think this. 1. The cup is directly above the motor. It gets wet, you get zapped. 2. I believe the cup is a large doggie dish? It's thin and will tear up. You could epoxy 2 of them together, but it'd be way out of balance 3. Balancing at high speed with the center of gravity being that high? No thanks;)

I've seen vids of one like that that tore up. Person's lucky he's still alive.

The Vertex spinner is designed the way it is for a reason. Consider buying one.
Posted by: BowlerBob

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 05/14/10 09:54 AM

I'm planning on getting a 1/3hp spinner. It's between a Vertex and Innovative.

A lot of comment about Vertex, so any comments on Innovative?
It comes with a long list of stuff, too:
5 - 320G wet/dry sandpaper
5 - 400G wet/dry sandpaper
5 - 600G wet/dry sandpaper
5 - 800G wet/dry sandpaper
5 - 1000G wet/dry sandpaper
5 - 1200G wet/dry sandpaper
1 - Gray Scotch-Brite pads
1 - Maroon Scotch-Brite pads
8 oz. Pro's Choice Extreme cleaner
8 oz. Pro's Choice Extreme compound
8 oz. Pro's Choice Extreme polish
1 terry towel.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 05/14/10 10:45 AM

Nick, one thing to consider is that just because you find the center of the bowl does not mean that the ball is going to spin perfectly. This is because the ball has its internal weights which make the ball unbalanced, thus creating the hook. You will find certain ways the ball sits on the spinner it will spin very true to center, then on other directions it will spin and wobble.
Posted by: Blacklight

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/26/11 07:40 PM

Building a variable speed one right now...Will let yall know how it comes out when I finish it...
Posted by: Blacklight

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/05/11 04:56 PM

Got the base modified and everything set up like I want it...Now just need to get a bowl and weatherstripping.

5 Speed Variable from 520rpm to 1960rpm...Got it set on the lowest setting right now but I will try lowest 3 speeds out and give my results and pictures after.

Total investment so far....$15 smile
Posted by: Dave800

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 02/05/11 07:13 PM

I bought a bowl from Donkee, Its the bowl they use on their spinner.

http://www.donkee.com/work_station.htm

It has a molded circular indent on the bottom of the bowl which I took a piece of 1/2" plastic and turned it down to fit the hole which perfectly centered the bowl on the shaft.

You cannot add what you call a dimmer to a 120 volt AC motor, it will not work and you will either kill yourself wiring it or start the motor on fire.

The only way you adjust the speed of a motor and it has to be a 3 phase motor, is with a frequency drive.(can be done with a DC motor, but that's a bit more complicated)

I did build mine with a 5 to 1 ratio constant torque 3 phase motor, meaning a 1800 rpm motor can be slowed down to 360 rpm.
I then bought a 240 volt single phase input, 3 phase output frequency drive to control the motor, I have infinite speed adjustment.

I'm a little weird this way, I wanted to prove i could do it, would have cost about 300 bucks with this set-up.
You are way better off buying one, get the 2 speed one if you do.
I have heard of some folks putting a bowl on a adjustable speed drill press, but the lowest spindle speed I found was 650 rpm which is a bit fast for sanding.
Drill presses are cheap on craigslist.
450 rpm for sanding, 650 for polishing
Posted by: Silent Mike

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 12/11/11 11:06 AM

I am not overly handy so I decided to buy the Vertex 1/2 HP version. I have a ton of older bowling balls that "died" so I can practice on them. I think it'll be money well spent, the few times I've had some bowling balls cleaned up it made a big difference.
Posted by: Hunter

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/04/12 08:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Blacklight
Got the base modified and everything set up like I want it...Now just need to get a bowl and weatherstripping.

5 Speed Variable from 520rpm to 1960rpm...Got it set on the lowest setting right now but I will try lowest 3 speeds out and give my results and pictures after.

Total investment so far....$15 smile

I don't have the $250+ to spend on those spinners, but I am intrigued by those who can build one for under $100. Is yours still working to this day? Is it heavy, I wonder how much it would cost you to ship one if I bought one from you.
Posted by: Mark B

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 01/04/12 10:07 AM

I was going to do the route of the build your own, but I started thinking about it and just bought an innovative personal spinner.
I ordered it on a wedneday and it was delivered on saturday (new years eve) so in between drinks I practiced resurfacing some older 16lb balls i no longer use. all i can say is wow. the ball track is gone, the tiny nicks and scrapes are gone, i wet sanded from the coarse grit up to 1000 on an old storm trauma, then polished it, and it looks awesome.
Posted by: Cheetahsneverprosper

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 03/03/12 11:55 PM

Well I tried it! Bought a 5-speed drill press at Harbor Freight for $65 + tax (free shipping with a coupon code I found online). Add a stainless steel bowl, some pipe insulation, duct tape, and an old nut & bolt I had lying around, and the ball spinner is working perfectly for less than $80. The second lowest speed seems to work best.

Photo here: Ball spinner photo

I guess it remains to be seen how long it'll last. But after resurfacing five balls, it's already paid for itself.
Posted by: PetyaSol

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 05/12/12 01:23 AM

Here is what I made and use, the cheapest way.
I wish I spend more on a drill, the best way is to use mixer drill cause it has less revs and much more torque.

Posted by: Doogie

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 11/15/12 10:29 AM

Has anyone ever considered breaking down a treadmill to make a ball spinner? I have been thinking that this would work well. The motor should be powerfull enough and with the control panel you can get variable speeds. I have seen them as low as $25 on craigslist. If I see another one this cheap I think I am going to try it.

Any input people would have would be appreciated.
Posted by: VFF57

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 11/15/12 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Doogie
Has anyone ever considered breaking down a treadmill to make a ball spinner? I have been thinking that this would work well. The motor should be powerfull enough and with the control panel you can get variable speeds. I have seen them as low as $25 on craigslist. If I see another one this cheap I think I am going to try it.

Any input people would have would be appreciated.

I've taken an old treadmill apart and still have the DC motor and controller/drive board. I already have a Vertex single speed spinner, but I figured I could make either another variable speed spinner or something else.

It should work out fine if you can figure out the packaging and mounting the motor shaft to a ball bowl. Treadmills usually have DC motors because it's cheaper and easier to cover a full range of speeds versus an AC motor. The DC controller boards usually have a 0-10VDC input which is fed-in from the digital display based on miles/hour selection. If you don't want to use or don't have the display you can replace it with a liner taper 5K potentiometer. Put the wiper leg from the potentiometer on the DC controller board which is usually marked "P2". The outer legs go to "P1" and "P3" which are ground and 10 volts derived on the board from a DC supply. The speed will now be controlled with the potentiometer which should be linear as you turn it up/down.
Posted by: smarcus

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 12/12/12 09:36 AM

Looking at all the posts here. If you're into making your own thing, then fine, but can just go to polishyourball.com and look at what they have. You just need any standard drill. Works pretty good for most anything need to do at home.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 09/27/13 11:29 AM

I just happened to come across this old thread. From looking at their products, I felt it worth a bump.

Everything can fit into a small box, and their products seem to be just common sense.
Posted by: champ

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 09/27/13 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: New Old Bowler
I just happened to come across this old thread. From looking at their products, I felt it worth a bump.

Everything can fit into a small box, and their products seem to be just common sense.

In my opinion, the only reason to own a ball spinner is to polish a ball, and those things just don't create enough RPMs to shine a ball. They come out looking duller. Just my experience and opinion.
Posted by: slowdown

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 09/27/13 04:18 PM

Hello,
Made one it's a 1100 rpm motor garage door opener perfect for me. tried a 3400 rpm motor to way too much. i got the motors for free. constructing the box to support the motor took me a while, the hard part was mounting the metal bowl which i decided to mount a pulley on the motor then use another pulley which the bowl rested on. Drilled holes 4 hole thru the bowl and pulley attached it with 7/16 nuts a bolts. spent a total of 40 dollars.
Posted by: BOSStull

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 09/28/13 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: tazlittleking
This works wonderfull! Love having my own spinner. Was wondering if it would be worth $300 up for spinner and I think it is. To have to only pay $35 makes it even sweeter. Totally has paid for itself over and over.

Hey , I've seen this thread before and was intrigued by this setup. Harbor Freight still has the press and is still a good buy at $50.
Very tempting.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 09/29/13 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: champ

In my opinion, the only reason to own a ball spinner is to polish a ball, and those things just don't create enough RPMs to shine a ball. They come out looking duller. Just my experience and opinion.

More than likely true. I've been cleaning after every practice and league. I also just started to touch the ball up with an Abralon pad, by hand. Is there a real advantage to Polishing the ball? I tried that a few times last year by hand, and realized it was a losing battle.

Right now after I use the pad, I clean and wipe off, that's about it.
Posted by: ytlas

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/03/16 11:08 AM

I know this is a three year old thread, but there's a ball spinner currently listed on the large auction site. Ends 7/10/16.

The ball spinner is a Bizmar ball spinner made by Bruce Marberg. It uses a sealed aircraft bearing under the ball cup so it should never wobble. I bought mine from Bruce himself back in 1979 and paid $180 back then.

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/08/16 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: ytlas
I know this is a three year old thread, but there's a ball spinner currently listed on the large auction site. Ends 7/10/16.

The ball spinner is a Bizmar ball spinner made by Bruce Marberg. It uses a sealed aircraft bearing under the ball cup so it should never wobble. I bought mine from Bruce himself back in 1979 and paid $180 back then.

Looks like a well built ball spinner that holds it value well. Used approaching that 180 mark.
Posted by: ytlas

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/08/16 08:32 PM

Also the winner has to pay shipping...

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 07/10/16 06:39 AM

Originally Posted By: BOSStull
Originally Posted By: tazlittleking

Hey , I've seen this thread before and was intrigued by this setup. Harbor Freight still has the press and is still a good buy at $50.
Very tempting.
Since this thread was resurrected I might as well reply to my post. I was tempted and did proceed with this drill press to ball spinner conversion. I bought the equivalent Harbor Freight drill press for $49 and a bowl for $8. Mine is a lot quieter than this one. It will never be up to the standards of a spinner offered by various manufacturers but for less than $60 it gets the job done when I need a quick surface change.
Posted by: wbw910

Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good - 10/06/16 03:48 AM

A guy named Red Taylor was selling one on facebook for 150