Where to find/How much for a good ball

Posted by: Bronxboy279

Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/06/03 12:53 AM

I was told by a fellow bowler that all the bowling balls found in places like "the sports authority" have defaults. I was also told that I would have to spend around $180 for a quality ball. Is this true?
Posted by: Wes K

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/06/03 08:23 AM

I'm not familiar with the stuff sold by sporting goods stores, but $180 for a quality bowling ball at a reputable pro shop sounds about right (if the price includes fitting and drilling).
Posted by: usr bin geek

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/06/03 11:08 AM

It is my experience that any "Big Box" retailer only sells blemished or factory second bowling equipment as the bowling industry keeps all factory first equipment exclusively for pro shops.

That fellow bowler gave you good advice.

I've seen topics like this before so in an effort to head off someone chiming in with the suggestion of an "online pro shop" I'd must point out that our Community Standards state, "You may not recommend or otherwise discuss online pro shops. It has been our experience that some of the online pro shops often misrepresent the equipment they sell, the terms of the sale, or in some cases even fail to deliver any goods at all. Posts including prices of equipment and web addresses or other contact information for online pro shops will be edited or removed."
Posted by: Kenny13

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/06/03 12:28 PM

Going to a pro shop is the way to go. At those large chains, there is not usually anyone there that can guide you to the right choice for your style and ability.

What you may save at the large chains, you end up paying later on. Any ball you buy from my local pro shop comes with free service which includes free fitting and drilling, cleaning, polishing, and sanding (and he does these on an unlimited basis). You will pay for these services in the end if you go to the chain stores, and still not necessarily get what you really need.
Posted by: FloridaLefty

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/17/03 02:30 PM

Being a bowler that has bought balls from everywhere over the years, I recommend your local proshop simply because they should be giving you better edvise and fitting than a retail outlet.

One thing that I've done alot, and still do is to check out the consignments or used balls your pro may have. You can usually get one for 50% or more off of the retail of a new ball. Try the ball for awhile, if you like it, you may want to buy a similar or exactly the same ball new. But otherwise if you're not too happy with it, your only out 1/2 the money you would have spent for a new ball. Also, get to be friends with some of the better bowlers in your league or lanes, I've had a number of good house bowlers, and semi-pro's GIVE me old balls that they didn't use anymore.

Take it to your pro, have it drilled for minimal cost, and you're good to go!
Posted by: okorimbo

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/18/03 12:17 AM

I agree with Steve and the others. For 90% of the bowlers a pro shop is definitely the best option. However, if you have doubts about pricing then I'd suggest a visit to one of the online sites ( which can't be mentioned here) and see what they are charging for the particular ball in question.This will give you a ball-park figure to work from. In most cases you'll find that the local pro-shop price, when you figure in drilling charges, etc., is about the same or only a little bit higher. And that difference is worth it when you consider advice, fine-tuning, guarantee, etc., etc.If there is a huge disparity in price then you might want to shop around a bit at other pro-shops in your area.
Doc
Posted by: Bowlerski

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 02/18/03 12:47 AM

Hey BronxBoy!

Just to add my two cents worth. Not only was that great advice due to the quality of the equipment being lesser, I can almost guarantee that the person who fits and drills the ball really doesn't have a clue to what they're doing. Not only will the ball probably not fit, but may also cause injury due to a poor fit. Having worked in a shop for some years, I can't tell you how many people have brought these balls in for us to refit. They may have saved $20-$30 on the initial price, but then they have to get the ball plugged and re-drilled, price varies from shop to shop, plus the ball is now plugged so it probably doesn't have the color match exactly(cosmetics really aren't a big deal) but the ball has now cost you what a factory first costs, and it's a factory second to start with! Your pro shop operator if he is absolutely ethical, can probably put you into a piece of equipment that will fit your game and not be too expensive, if you don't mind throwing something that isn't part of the "ball-of-the-month-club". It may be something from six months to a year old, but just may fit the bill. Once again, you get what you pay for.
Posted by: bowl2win

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 03/21/03 08:26 AM

i baught 1 ball from proshop and one from ebay(saved about $20).
after all said and done. the proshop ball is the best deal ..they have replace grips at nocharge.(the replacement charge for ebay ball is $15 for 3) and always give me advice on what i am doing wrong..the best advice they gave me was not to quit my day job.. i hope this helps..
Posted by: emperor

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 06/03/03 04:36 PM

I looked online and found balls for very good prices. Going to proshops (all small) were overpriced. For example I bought my Hammer Blade Pearl for $90, and went to a pro shop to get it drilled for $30. Don't go crazy with your funds, buddy. When you talk to the pro shop guy, you can figure if he knows his stuff.
Posted by: Jimmy N

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 06/03/03 06:04 PM

If I may add my 2 cents worth, the balls you'll find at Sports Authority are generally plastic balls, ie. balls that wont hook. Those balls work alright as spare balls, but they wont be drilled correctly, so its generally not worth it to waste your time. I know a few people who have bought balls there, the "fitters" size your thumb, and have it put into a ball that has a bunch of finger holes in a spiral set up. You put your fingers in the ones that fit the closest, and thats how they measure your span. So, you are forced to go with their "pre-measurements", kinda like you do when searching for a house-ball. At a real pro shop, your span is measured, and the driller knows where to drill the ball for maximum performance. You can get a good ball used at most pro shops if you dont want to pay 180, usually you can get something in the 75-100 range.
Posted by: Turner727

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/13/04 06:26 AM

I went to an online pro shop, and picked some equipment out that looked good. Got prices, and added up shipping, drilling, and all the extra stuff. Came to about $300 for two balls, (one white dot, one Power Groove), shoes and bag, plus the drilling, shipping, etc.

Went to the proshop, and found the same equipment cheaper, Drilling was $2 more for one ball, but $5 less for the other. Shoes were a good 30% cheaper.

Plus now I have the added advantage that I can buy this stuff piecemeal, instead of all at once to save on shipping. And while I haven't been around pro shops a lot, I got a good feel off of the owner. So I know where I'll be going to get my stuff.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/14/04 09:03 PM

Well I have to fall in with the rest. I just got a Storm Trama ER (E-BAY) and when I went to have it drilled the guy at the pro shop told me it was a factory second. This was my 4th ball I bought on line. The first three no problem.
The good part, no I have to talk my wife into letting me get a new Fear Factor, from my local pro-shop.
Wish me luck. eek
Posted by: Harrylegthigh

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/31/04 06:41 PM

I started bowling last year and since then have gone through a state of buying balls at local pro shops and off ebay and individual bowling suppliers. I like the ease with which one can search on the internet for price and products and information about lthe various balls and what available etc. I agree the best advice for a novice would be to go to a pro shop but the fact is the price difference for a bowler collecting an arsnenal of balls is just too great to rely soley on small local pro shops. The price the local pro shops here ask for there name brand fairly new issue balls is just tredemously marked up plus you have to pay tax on top of that. But it usually does come with free drilling. Your ball driller and pro shop owner are there to help but not control the bowlers. My pro shop guys drill my balls for 30$ and never give me any lip about not buying from them. Its our right to save a little where we can, but for advice on your setup and drilling I would always got to and have a driller that new what I was doing rather than having it drilled by someone who didn't know or understand your needs. So in short buying on the internet is not so bad but sometimes one can get a blem, epecially from the ebay sellers but I have gotten several good used balls there. An real good service and deals on new balls from some of the major suppliers. Also some of the ball manufacturers sell blems at a good price. best of luck.*0)
Posted by: joel

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 07/18/04 03:15 PM

Kenny 13
I am going to buy a Columbia Blue Dot as a spare
ball as I heard they are only 49.00 dollars. My
question is should I get finger inserts as I do
have them in my strike ball which is mojo by track

thanks in advance bowling joel thumbsup

strokers do it better with help:
Posted by: BubbaD

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 07/18/04 05:49 PM

I recommend having your spare ball drilled the same way as your strike ball... it helps ME to know that no matter what ball out of my bag I pick up it FEELS the same... I can pull any ball out of my bag and it feels the same in my hand as any other ball (with exception to polished or dull) but the way it fits my hand fingers... thumb its identical... thats one of the things I am VERY particular on a ball.. I make sure my driller triple check pitch angles and span on my balls before he drills them... and I check them when I pick them up...and if they arent right I make him fix them, maybe I am a bit finicky but thats me
Posted by: BowlerFreak

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 07/21/04 04:28 PM

For what it's worth...

I have a good relationship with my local pro shop(s) because I buy a lot of equipment from them. In return, they are VERY willing to help me out with anything from free polishing/sanding/finger grips to advice on the lanes. Plus, it is an insult to a professional to buy your equipment elsewhere much cheaper, only to come to the pros for their advice and expertise. That is partly why their balls are more expensive - you get the knowledge that comes with the ball -- it is a package deal. I have never regretted one dime that I have spent at our pro shops in town.
Posted by: Smooth Stroker

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 07/25/04 01:00 AM

I am lucky enough to have the best of both worlds. I do agree however that you should start off at the pro shop. Get your first couple of balls there. Do research online and educate yourself on the fine art of bowling balls. Some pro shops have huge mark ups. My first ball came up to $180 including tax and drilling. And that was a mid priced ball. I found the same ball online for a $100 less.
I then found a buddy that drills balls as a weekend job. His prices were out of this world too. So I started buying balls online and giving them to him to drill. I saved loads of money. I mean like $60-80 each. Sometimes more.
I have now found a pro shop that matches internet pricing and has separated the drilling charge. They are a reputable pro shop that drills for a couple of touring pba pros. I can now get a Triple X for under $200 including drilling when before the price would have been over $200 just for the ball. I say if you are knowledgeable and run into a hot deal online, jump on it. If you have a good pro shop who will cut you a deal then stick with it.
I think the pro shops should adjust their thinking like this pro shop did. If business is lagging then this might help. If you have a long waiting list of bowlers waiting to have their ball drilled, then keep the prices high. Business is all about supply and demand. Most business owners are judged by if they are able to grow their business. pro shops should be no different. change is good.
Posted by: fuze detonator

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 08/29/04 07:25 AM

some pro shops will not drill a ball that isn't brought from htere own shop
Posted by: Coach04

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 08/30/04 02:34 AM

Any pro-shop that refuses to drill an outside purchased ball, doesn't need your business. There are plenty more that will drill anything you bring them.

The pro-shop I use matches internet pricing and charges a flat $40, for fitting, drilling, inserts, and finishing. He is happy not to have to stock so many balls, and get stuck with them when they go out of style. You can find and purchase it from the web, or he will order it for you from the local distrubtion center. Either way it is the same price.

He is more interested in having happy customers that return, than he is the profit in new balls.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 08/30/04 03:09 AM

Yes, but Fuze is in the UK and the atmosphere may be different there then it is here.

I can see that in the UK, where road travel is more difficult and availability of pro shops may be extremely limited that you might have to contain yourself from internet purchasing. All roads lead to London!

Erin
Posted by: CPAScott

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 12/08/04 10:03 AM

I concur about buying balls from a local reputible pro shop. If you think the price is too high compared to some of the reputible online shops (of which there are a few), negotiate with your local shop.

I buy my bowling ball from local pro shops, but other equipment (gloves, tape, cleaners, etc.) from the online guys.
Posted by: Buck Rabbit

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/19/05 04:05 PM

BubbaD, I understand your point but I do the opposite for the same reason.

When I shoot a 10 pin, I break my wrist, and shoot a full roller with a spare ball to get a near staight shot.

I don't want my muscle memory to kick-in for my normal shot so I make everything different, no finger grips in the spare ball, take off my wrist brace, the ball is even a different weight. When I pick up my spare ball to shoot a 10 or 6-10 ten, it is a whole different shot, that is mentally seperated from the feel I am trying to achieve on my strike ball. To make it a golf analogy, shooting the 10 pin is putting, the strike shot is my drive, and the muscle memory and protocal are completely different for each.

This works for ME and and though I am not a great bowler converting 10 pins at an above average pace is my best bowling skill. My personnal theory would be if you are trying to pick up your corner pins using the exact same stroke and release as your strike ball make the FEEL of the spare ball the same by duplicating weight and grips. If you are using a release on your corner pin shot that you don't want to repeat with your strike ball, make the feel distinctly different.

Joel, you can take, my opinion as the, some people get away with it method. I will be interested to see what the coaches have to say about this. Is there a preferred way to setup a spare bowl or is this a matter of what feels right for each inidividual?
Posted by: Coach04

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 01/20/05 10:19 PM

I just think, "Why go to so much trouble for one shot?"

Use a plastic spare ball drilled the same as your strike ball, and you don't have to learn a new shot, or undress and redress between frames..... K.I.S.S. It works!
Posted by: 802dave

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 02/28/05 01:10 PM

I agree Coach!

I've started inserting my thumb first for right-side spares and deliver it basically the same; it makes a difference!

A guy on our pair last night threw it hard and with lots of revs; for his 10-pin spare, he just stuck his thumb in the ball - no fingers. I think he missed as many as he made... but it did go straight! ;-)

Dave
Posted by: Blondbeard

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 03/07/05 12:39 PM

I am not an experienced bowler and bowl for recreation. I have bought from the proshop and from on-line. Truthfully, I can not tell any difference in quality. But like I say I just bowl for recreation. But I do notice more people buying from on-line because of the price differential. I would think our pro shop would get wise and cut the mark-up and do more volumn, but it is small and run by the lanes and so they are more interested in the alley, food and drinks than the pro-shop.
Posted by: ExBronxiteBowler

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/20/05 12:42 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Bronxboy279:
I was told by a fellow bowler that all the bowling balls found in places like "the sports authority" have defaults. I was also told that I would have to spend around $180 for a quality ball. Is this true? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I assume that you're a current Bronxite. If so, you can try Cirillo's Pro Shop inside of Paradise Lanes in Yonkers. Its very near the racetrack. His prices are fair, and he has been drilling for a very long time.

regards

Walter

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/20/05 12:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by emperor:
I looked online and found balls for very good prices. Going to proshops (all small) were overpriced. For example I bought my Hammer Blade Pearl for $90, and went to a pro shop to get it drilled for $30. Don't go crazy with your funds, buddy. When you talk to the pro shop guy, you can figure if he knows his stuff. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Not in the shop I work P/T in. You bring a ball in purchased from the internet to get punched up, expect to pay $50 for drilling plus Finger Inserts plus thumb Slug. Total cost : $77 to get a ball drilled. And say the ball you got from the net has a 1 inch pin and 5 OZ Top Weight, don't expect us to swap out the ball for one that fits your game. We're gonna drill what you give us. Ain't no way to make sure you get a pin placement and Top weight that suits your game from the web. Other web balls I've seen have been 5 inch pin with 1 1/2 Oz on top... not much you can do in terms of layout. Other things I've seen in balls of the net include balls with a clearly marked Mass Bias (Rad for Storm, may vary depending on the brand) where it would be a good ball to setup for a lefty, however the guy who got it is a righty... Again, we're not going to swap out balls so we do the best we can given the ball in hand.
Posted by: Mary Allen

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/20/05 03:45 PM

The proshop that I've been doing business with for 7 years has never failed me in choosing the right equipment for my game. The proshop that I go to has a stub lane so that you can try out your new ball for free so that if there are problems of any kind while you're trying it out that the problems can be fixed right there on the spot. My balldriller has shared with me the nightmares that he's seen with people bringing in "internet balls and raffleballs" and boy did I learn something quite interesting. Of course you as a bowler would not recognize anything wrong with the ball, but to a professional ball driller he can spot several things. The number one thing that my balldriller checks for is the weights and balances. And from his experience most of those weights and balances are either off a little or a lot. Sometimes you get lucky and the weights and balances are correct-yeah out of one and a million defective balls that he's seen. He recently told me that a regular customer had given him a ball for him to drill out and when he tried to drill it that core of the ball was separating from the shell- what a nightmare! Of course my balldriller will drill balls from the internet for you but there's a cost to that because he's using his equipment and his overall labor to drill the ball right. And people who think that a ball driller should not charge one to drill a ball that came from the internet or won at a raffle is really out of their mind. Hey drilling a ball is a lot more than drilling three holes in it. So you are much better off getting your ball and having it drilled the right way from a reputable proshop. I own 5 balls and each and every one of them fit me to a T and they feel the same way when I do have to change balls. Me as an aspiring pro bowler strongly feel that price is unimportant- it's the quality and fit of the ball that matter to me the most. Anyone who is more interested in saving a couple of bucks here and there my opinion to people who think that way is "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR AND HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLIAN WHEN YOUR HAND RESEMBLES HAMBURGER MEAT" Enough said.

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/20/05 07:57 PM

Never mind the people who come in and say make the ball act like it appears on the chart, and they have a low rev rate and throw a spinner, There is nothing I can do to make a spinner's ball hook 30 boards. What I can do is make it hook more than his other equipment. I've had customers come in and say make it hook like it does in the video. Only problem is that the guy in the video is a high rev player, and the guy who bought the ball off the net is a low rev spinner. Ball he got had a 4 1/2 pin and 4 TW, this particular player needs more help on oil y=than what that ball with its pin placement and top weight will allow. He needs short pins and low top weight, so the ball can get into a roll. But he got the ball off the net, so we do the best we can. He ended up getting a HUGE weight hole in the thumb quadrent.

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/20/05 10:26 PM

Some people just never learn. People like that I say are too lazy to work at their game to aquire the skills necessary to be successful in this wonderful game of bowling. People of that mentality want to buy the ability in buying every hooking ball in the market and think that that's all they need to succeed. People like that I just laugh at, because I know that they won't make it that far. I don't care how you slice it you still have to work at it and it still takes time to improve.
Posted by: Ace38

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/21/05 02:14 AM

"Other things I've seen in balls of the net include balls with a clearly marked Mass Bias (Rad for Storm, may vary depending on the brand) where it would be a good ball to setup for a lefty, however the guy who got it is a righty..."

Can someone please explain more on the above, didn't know there is a difference in tis. So what is the best setup for a lefty ? Thank you very much.

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/21/05 04:09 AM

Ace, balls with mass bias' are asymetrical balls. It doesn't matter if you are right handed or left handed. Asymetrical balls tend to be more unpredictable. They are great for higher level strokers, who do not put too much on the ball. But in the hands of crankers, they can become uncontrollable very quickly, unless extreme skill is employed.

You can drill a ball (any ball) with the pin in the opposite side and the bowler's hand, if that bowler has tons of hand and wants a ball with "killed" revs. In otherwords, this would work for a bowler with so many revs that they cannot tame it down for drier (maybe even medium) lane conditions. So they put the pin in the opposite side of the ball.

You'd also want a ball drilled for what appeared to be for the opposite hand, if that bowler was a reverse curve bowler. i.e. back up bowler.

The full roller also needs very specific and precis pin placements to make the most out of the dynamics of the ball. The layout would not look "normal" to most 3/4 rollers.

Erin

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/21/05 02:04 PM

Erin,

My point exactly. Guy with no hand gets a ball off the net, and wants it to hook, but setup is problematic becuase of the mass bias, cg, pin alignment. The setup that would have to be used is not quite ideal for the reaction the bowler is looking for. Or the guy shows you the drilling instuctions, and tells you to make it exactly like this, except you can't since its, for example, a one inch pin, and he wants the cg under the centerline of the grip and the pin over the fingers...
Posted by: Ace38

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/21/05 07:26 PM

ComputerGuru,
What do you mean by one inch pin or three inch pin ? what is it reference to ? And is the purpose of having different size pin ? Thanks...

Thanks Atochabsh for your explanation.... thumbsup:

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/21/05 07:45 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Ace38:
ComputerGuru,
What do you mean by one inch pin or three inch pin ? what is it reference to ? And is the purpose of having different size pin ? Thanks...

Thanks Atochabsh for your explanation.... thumbsup:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">All modern bowling balls have pins. What I mean by an 1 inch pin is the distance of the pin from the CG... shorter pins generally roll up earlier and arc smoother off the break point, conversely, longer pins hook later and harder... What I'm driving at is that with internet balls you have no controll over what pin and top weight they will ship you. Proshops can always get a ball that meets your requirements from a distrubuter...
Or if they a several of the ball in stock, they can pick the one with the best top wight and pin for your game. Yes, you can save money buying balls off the internet, however, say the ball cracks due to a defect, you will have to deal with sending the ball back yourself. You get the ball from a proshop, they will get the replacement for you. Good proshops will not charge you to drill a replacement, if you bought the ball from them to begin with. That happens with an internet ball. guesss what. The shop will expect you to pay for the drilling of the replacement. brickwall
Posted by: Num1continder

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 05/24/05 06:25 PM

I keep hearing everyone say that the online shops Are only cheeper because they buy the "FACTORY SECONDS". what is wrong with these balls?

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 05/24/05 08:57 PM

From what my balldriller tells me about these factory seconds most of the time the weights and balances are wrong. Another defect could be the weight block and the center of the ball marking is way off. Every once in a while you may get lucky and nothings wrong with the ball at all, but your chances of being that lucky is a million to one. That's why I rather have my ball driller order the ball for me, because then I don't have to worry about shipping. I've seen too many people being so concerned with price and people like that get what they paid for and have no reason to complain.
Posted by: aj10pin

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 07/25/05 05:07 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by BubbaD:
I recommend having your spare ball drilled the same way as your strike ball... it helps ME to know that no matter what ball out of my bag I pick up it FEELS the same... I can pull any ball out of my bag and it feels the same in my hand as any other ball (with exception to polished or dull) but the way it fits my hand fingers... thumb its identical... thats one of the things I am VERY particular on a ball.. I make sure my driller triple check pitch angles and span on my balls before he drills them... and I check them when I pick them up...and if they arent right I make him fix them, maybe I am a bit finicky but thats me </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Tell u wot Bubbad U are spot on cuz if one ball is VERY MINUTE in Span/pitch diff you will feel the diifrence so u are rite to make ur proshop guy to check it 3/4 times lol

when i 1st started bowling i went to a local shop and the driller completely nack my thumb up cuz he drilled the ball at the wrong pitch and it was stayin on my too long thus causin the thumb slug to 'rip' my thumb open. now i use a diff ball driller although its summin like 90 miles away wink but i trust him completely as i neva had ne more trouble with the thumb lol

my 1st set of balls of him cost me 1000 thats 4 balls 6 ball roller abs shoes and coachin lol

so all in all if u go to ur proshop and buy multiple balls /accessaries you can get discounts as my gear sudda cost bout 1500 all total lol saved 500

Good luck and Good Bowling laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted by: kingpindave

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/08/05 05:31 AM

Most pro shops in london will drill your ball if it isnt bought from them. I generally get my stuff from the States.

It works out cheaper for me and you just cant count on the pro shops over here getting the stuff you want.

I either had to wait 4 weeks for my Elements Crossfire ball. Or get one shipped to me in 72hrs. Plus my local pro shop would have ripped me off when buying the ball.. smile
Posted by: gr8bowler

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/22/05 07:55 PM

I buy all my balls online. They have a huge selection, & alot of information on all the balls, & better yet you can get most balls for half off! if you have questions you can ask a local pro shop then get you ball online. Ask me for the sites if you want them.

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/23/05 02:13 AM

That kind of s u c k s gr8bowler. So if you have questions you go and pick the brains of your local shop, waste their time, and then buy elsewhere. Why not just call up the place you are buying from via the internet and pick their brains?

Benefits of buying from a local pro shop
1. build good customer relationship
2. support local small business
3. pro shop can watch you bowl and make an educated suggestion for a good ball for you. Takes a lot of guess work out of buying a ball.
4. you can get the pin placement and top weight you want with next to little effort.
5. even special orders typically arrive in less then 1/2 week. While shipping a ball can take 10 business days or more and you might not get what you ordered.
6. most instock balls can be fitted and drilled within a day or so of purchase. You're on the lanes with your new ball faster.
7. easy to deal with any warrenty problems.
8. most shops can return equipment that has funky pin placements or defects and get another without too much hassle and in less then a week.
9. its common to have fitting and drilling included in ball price.

Erin
Posted by: Angel

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/23/05 02:37 PM

Wow, gr8bowler, when you get that ball for 1/2 off, who drills it for you? When the pin placement is wrong and you can't get the ball to do what you wanted it for, who pays for shipping and restocking in hopes the online firm actually has what you wanted in the first place?

Building a great relationship with a pro shop is a money-saving process--where you can get a ball tweaked for nothing and get a few bells and whistles thrown in for free as well.

Telling the pro shop his time isn't worth anything is never going to get you the best service.

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/23/05 04:54 PM

I hope they charged you for thier time when they drilled your ball. Fair market value would be, in my eyes, 50 to drill, plus 12 for finger inserts, plus 15 for a thumb slug.

and if say the core seperates or the ball cracks I'd charge them AGAIN to drill the replacement after THEY deal with getting a replacement.

Another good one is I'll get my next ball from your competition aka another pro-shop, now can you please clean my ball for free? Some people have nerve....
Posted by: Mule

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/23/05 07:37 PM

Of the eight balls that I currently have, I guess I bought three from a local pro shop and five on the internet. Where I live (and bowl) there are no real experienced ball drillers that really know their trade and there are no bowling coaches. The area a VERY rural area with the largest town within 75 miles having only 12,000 people. The town I live in is just about 2,000 people with one bowing center (6 lanes). My pro shop operator/driller just started doing drilling about three years ago. Luck for me, I'm a full roller and there isn't much that can be done differently in drilling for me. He does a good job and has no problem drilling a ball that he didn't order because he knows that if he can come within 30-40 bucks of what I would pay online, plus what I pay him to drill the ball (with inserts) that I would buy it from him. Like may bowlers, I'm not "made of money" and cannot always afford to pay $230 for a new ball. I seem to buy 2-3 new balls each year and it runs into more money than I could afford to spend if I paid retail each time. If bowling were my only vice (I'm heavily into golf also) maybe I could spend more on bowling.

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/23/05 07:50 PM

Give up those golf clubs!!!!!
Posted by: Flynwolf

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/23/05 08:33 PM

I think I'll order my next ball online as well. The price is almost half what it would be in a pro-shop, even after paying for the drilling and inserts seperately. I'll have the ball drilled at my pro-shop on base (I'm in the military), and unless I'm terribly mistaken, since the alley and pro-shop are owned/operated by the military, the people working there are hired by our Nonappropriated Funds (NAF) department. They're paid by the hour, and the pro-shop itself will not lose/gain money regardless of where my ball is purchased. It all goes back into the system to be divided among all NAF services on base.

Tony
Posted by: Flynwolf

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/26/05 09:07 PM

Ok, I guess now I'll have to take my post back. I spoke with the pro-shop guy on base. It's kind of hard to do, because the hours are very limited. I found out that the price of the ball on base is just about the same as if I bought it online. The only extra is the inserts. Also, I'd like some advice on whether or not I should go for the thumb plug. The guy at the pro-shop said that the biggest advantage is that the thumb will fit the same in all of my equipment. Sounds like it may be worth it.

Tony

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/27/05 03:32 AM

Well, the best advantage to a thumb slug is that there is no seam between the coverstock and inner core of the ball. Some bowlers are sensitive to this feel. The only way the thumb will be exactly the same is if you do a mold of your favorite thumb hole and just have it duplicated at your desire. But milling a hole (making it oval) takes some skill and with a good pro shop can be made pretty close. I myself prefer oval inserts. That way I KNOW the oval-ness is the same from insert to insert.

Also the material that the slug is made from and the inserts are made from is different then the interior of the ball. It may be slicker or tackier to your feel, but it will be the same.

I'd say go for it and see if you like it. Its probably a $10 investment. Worth the try.

Erin
Posted by: Sheldon

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/27/05 12:41 PM

There is a lot more to a thumb slug than what Erin is saying. The main reason to use them is that when a thumb slug is not used with a reactive ball, a horrible reaction takes place usually some place in your second or third game. The reaction is caused by heat of your body and the material used to make the ball. When this occurs, the ball will not come off of the thumb and it gets worse with every shot. It is because of this reaction that ball manufacturers recommend the installation of a thumb slug with every reactive ball. Have you ever seen someone try and throw a ball and the ball goes up instead of down the lane or somewhere that it should not? A properly fitting thumb slug will give you a great release every time. Thumb slugs are made of urethane plastic, not reactive material!
Posted by: bimmerman

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 10/27/05 01:37 PM

Sheldon, for the most part you are correct, but I know a number of bowlers who don't use thumb slugs and have no problems releasing the ball. So, I would avoid making that kind of blanket statement.

The biggest reason for using a thumb slug is so that you have a consistent feel from one ball to the next.

Like most bowlers, I use a thumb slug in all my balls, because I want the feel to be the same. There are two materials for sluge, urethane and vinyl. The vinyl slugs are softer and more succeptable to moisture than urethane slugs. If you have sweaty hands, I'd avoid vinyl slugs and make sure that you pro shop uses a urethane one.
Posted by: neb5482

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 11/18/05 03:40 AM

There is a lot more to a thumb slug than what Erin is saying. The main reason to use them is that when a thumb slug is not used with a reactive ball, a horrible reaction takes place usually some place in your second or third game. The reaction is caused by heat of your body and the material used to make the ball. When this occurs, the ball will not come off of the thumb and it gets worse with every shot. It is because of this reaction that ball manufacturers recommend the installation of a thumb slug with every reactive ball. Have you ever seen someone try and throw a ball and the ball goes up instead of down the lane or somewhere that it should not? A properly fitting thumb slug will give you a great release every time. Thumb slugs are made of urethane plastic, not reactive material!

This is true, but depending on the fit of the thumb some bowlers dont experience it at all. This happens to me frequently, but I have been using baby powder to counter it for years. It acts as a lubricant of sorts for my thumb.
Posted by: Sheldon

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 11/18/05 11:20 AM

As to urethane or vinyl; they both cost about the same and a better more consistant release is achieved with urethane than with vinyl so it would be "penny wise and pound foolish" not to go with the best which is urethane. Another reason is that urethane slugs are hareder and do not show any signs of deterioration or wearing out; but the softer vinyl does not last as long for the typical bowler.
Posted by: Indpls Kid

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 12/25/05 04:19 PM

well my perspective is a little biased because i work at a bowling alley so i get drilling free only having to pay for grips and inserts if i want them so for me to drill a ball costs me a big whooping $12 dollars so as far as balls go...i normally order them off the internet, get them used from a friend, or get them off ebay(buyer beware tho. I have bought one ball from a Pro Shop and i only bought it because i was in Las Vegas and they had a clear plastic spare ball with muhammad ali's glove in it and it was signed. the best thing to do is do your research on the ball before you buy it if a friend has a ball he wants to sell you go on the internet to place like [Banned-URL].com and see what others think of the ball this is how i got a smokin inferno for $60 bucks and didnt even need to get it drilled because we have the exact same everything
Posted by: wingnut

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 02/27/06 12:42 PM

IMHO, you can't beat going to a reputable proshop. I've purchased from both online and from a proshop and found that you can't beat having a professional there in person to help you. They are able to watch how you roll and are able to suggest the correct drill pattern for your style. If you do have problems with the fit, they are able to fine tune it. So, unless you know how to fine tune your fitment, I would suggest going to a proshop.
Posted by: Chris Cenotti

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/06/06 01:01 PM

Seems to me there's benefits to both. The key with the local pro-shop is, as wingnut said, a *reputable* local pro-shop. The first pro-shop I went to for my first reactive ball the pro-shop operator was bored with me from the moment I walked in, couldn't be bothered to have a conversation about what ball would be good. He pointed out a couple (which were totally wrong for the normal house conditions at the lanes), didn't ask how I wanted it drilled (I didn't know the difference between fingertip and conventional, but if asked I could have looked into it and saved myself the $50 I spent to have it re-drilled to fingertip 3 months later). When it was drilled he didn't watch me bowl with it to see if it fit right, just had me put my hand in once then said come back if there was a problem.

There are online shops that allow you to specify pin placement and top weight, and they are still cheaper than the local shops. Granted you're still out of luck if you pick the wrong one, so if you have a good shop I'd say most avg bowlers would do better to pay the extra for the insurance that they'll take care of any problems with a replacement if need be. And not all online shops sell factory seconds.

I think the important point is, whoever is buying the ball (whether its you online or your local pro-shop operator) *has* to know what they're doing because there are a lot of factors and as someone else pointed out, even a little deviation makes a difference.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/10/06 02:22 PM

The problem with buying a ball online is that you can't see what you are getting until it gets to you. Then, you still have to pay for drilling. I have spoken with a few guys who own pro-shops and they raised the rates for drilling equipment to help compete with the online shops. A $225 ball will cost you around $150 online. Most places charge (at least by me) at least $60. Basically I save $15 (if I didn't get charged shipping) and I don't know what the pin is or the top weight until it is delivered.
Posted by: TKOA

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 04/25/06 08:38 AM

I have done both and I think its worth it in the long run to pay alittle extra and go to the Pro shop. At most you might save $60 to $70 bucks, but after you figure in the little extra's you get like cleanings, polishing, etc. your saving won't be much if any and isn't your game worth it!
Posted by: 7string

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 05/30/06 08:17 PM

I thought that my local pro-shop would be the place to go when my girlfriend and I decided to take the plunge and buy new gear.

I called them up and discussed what we wanted/needed on the phone and arranged to collect everything and have the balls drilled. We turned up as arranged to find that only my gf's shoes were in. The guy in the shop says that he could do us a better deal than we had discussed on the phone. As he's the pro shop guy, and knows more than us, we got with the flow.

We ended up buying bags off the 'net as they couldn't supply (remember I'd arranged all this days before) and I got a different pair of shoes to the ones I ordered. This is all OK.

It wasn't until I was transferring my ball from it's box to my new bag, that I noticed X-BLEM stamped across the label. After reading a bit on the 'net I know what this means......

Before finding that, I called up to get the price on a spare ball and was quoted waayyy abo ve any advertised price. 'Well go and buy it on the net then' was the reply.

Needless to say I won't be buying from them again. Unfortunately, this is a case of a pro shop which is the only driller within 90 miles (I kid you not)!! However, my parents live in London, so I'll be buying my spare ball and having it drilled when I'm next 'down south'. Any suggestions for shops in/around North London ??
Posted by: mkee19

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 05/31/06 01:10 AM

Thats horrible 7string. I've bought my shoes and totes online. All my balls have been from my pro-shop, and after 3, I trust him with anything. He doesnt gimme any hassle to fix things, and does them with gladness. I also bowl with him and a few others sometimes, and that helps when I purchase new equipment, b/c he knows what type of ball I need drilled up.
Posted by: CL2006

Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball - 05/31/06 06:45 AM

I will probably buy the balls from the pro shop and the bags, gloves, etc online. Moneywise the deal we get from the pro shop here on balls is better than the total you'd spend online. However the accessories are much cheaper online.