The price of new bowling balls

Posted by: BOSStull

The price of new bowling balls - 01/26/20 10:05 AM

Seems to be trending upward on new releases. $174.95 for top notch releases now. I bet by the end of the year we will see $179.95. Add in drilling $250. A lot to pay if the ball turns out to be a dud.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 01/26/20 05:15 PM

I agree, spending $250 to possibly end up with a counterweight for a multiple ball ball bag is rough. I'm not sure if in my earlier days I ever had anything top of the line or how much the balls I had cost back then. I got a few as gifts when I was in high school and I got a few balls from bowling in pro-am's.

Mark
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 01/28/20 06:14 PM

I was convinced years ago that porosity of cover stock was a problem. I had many verbal arguments with Ebonite Staffers on this. Oil absorption into the cover was the leading cause of early ball death to me. The counter claim always was holes in the cover was needed to gain friction on the lane. Time and time again, I could prove that theory wrong, just by comparing my ball rolled against the Pro's ball.

And, here we are, 12 years later, and last night in league, I rolled 3 balls, a 7 y/o ball, an 8 and a 10 year old ball. I started with a fully reactive cover, and quickly moved to a hybrid. When neither worked to my satisfaction, I pulled out the 10 y/o particle urethane ball, and finished game 2 at 257 and game 3 at 236. I know that using the porous covers would not have done that. In fact, each of those balls would have been replaced 10 times over in that time.

Buying quality balls has never been a problem to me. But, the kind of ball was. Any ball known as a soaker was off my list. The harder the cover was better for me.

This is just my opinion, borne by repeated trashing of balls less then a year old. I have seen that most balls needed a resurface and oil extraction after 50 games, on average. But, once resurfaced, they never lasted another 50 games, more like 30. Hence, a replacement was necessary.

As for now, I'll stay with my older equipment, as I can't find another that is made better.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 02/29/20 01:54 PM

Hey, I got Lucky. I got a NIB Seismic Raging Bull Charged for $41 shipped on EBAY. Similar Specs to my Storm Intense. I have never had a Seismic but have thrown my teammates Seismic Longhorn before and liked it. Will be drilling soon.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 06/20/20 05:06 PM

Another deal got a NIB Storm Son!Q for $51 including shipping. Still haven't drilled the Raging Bull. Pro shop was closed for a long period of time . May do that this week.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 09/26/20 09:39 PM

Deals are there to be found. Another new in the box Storm Fever Pitch for $78. Actually more than I wanted to pay but I needed another ball to replace my Motive Arctic Sniper as a spare ball.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 11/01/20 02:39 PM

I got the original Honey Badger off EBAY for $80. Always wanted this ball. Can't wait to get it drilled. The last ball I got (Fever Pitch) is working out nicely for a spare ball.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 12/13/20 10:40 AM

Honey Badger turned out to be a really great ball. If you want a ball that gets down the lane with a lot of backend this is it.

Now on to my latest purchase. I got the Storm Super Son!Q for $80 shipped.

As for prices of new balls there is a new high everyday price on Buddies with the Idea by Big Bowling for $179.95. For a new ball company you would think they would undercut everyone else to break into the market place.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 12/22/20 06:48 PM

Kind of hoping I can come across a Storm ALL ROAD since they are now discontinued for a good price. Still need to drill Super Son!Q

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 05/23/21 01:15 PM

super Sonic drllled. Good compliment to my Son!Q my go to ball. I also got my all-Road NIB eBay bid $41 total shipping and tax $73. Next ball to be drilled.
Posted by: djp1080

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 06/01/21 11:15 AM

I recall Norm Duke using the Super Soniq and it sure was working well for him that day. I have the Soniq and have had some luck with it. I got it and expected it to be a stronger IQ type ball, but it was never that. Was disappointed.
Got it to work pretty well when I finally moved about five boards left and kept it in the oil a little longer. Haven't used it in some time now. Guess I should pull it out and make sure it hasn't cracked. Lost my IQ Tour 30 about a month ago. Replaced it with a Hustle RAP which seems pretty darn good.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 06/06/21 06:19 PM

Good to see another post. SON1Q is currently my favorite ball. I rolled a 290 with it a couple weeks ago. Super SON1Q is a good compliment to my SON1Q when I need a tad stronger ball.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 06/07/21 12:27 PM

Nice going! What surface do you use on the SonIQ? I've kept mine shiny using either Reacta Shine or Motiv's Polish. Both work pretty well. Most times I attempt to roll it over board 17 and target around 12 or 13 for decent results...

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 06/19/21 04:03 PM

Surface is out of box with a little lane ware. If I need stronger ball I have The Super SON!Q, Usually going across 8-9 targeting 5 on our house shot. If i move further in leaving a lot of 10s. SON!Q has been a good ball for me . Have a second NIB I got a while back cheao for just tin case.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 06/29/21 01:20 PM

Thanks BOS... I'll try that next time I use it. It's sitting in the box with the plastic bag wrapped around it. It looks nice. I still miss my IQ Tour 30 which cracked earlier this year. I guess I should have bought an Emerald for the just in case point like you did with yours... smile

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 07/24/21 08:38 PM

Ok I still have the All-road to Drill. Hy-road and Hy-Road nano have been a good go to balls of late. Really like my Roads. They tend to match up to me. Had all my balls de-oiled with my annual MTCE plan and new surface placed on them. I had a Radical More cash that cracked in the De-Oil process. This is the third Radical ball that has cracked on me and no others from any other company. Liked my Radical balls the they tend to crack at a higher rate. Outer surface tens =ds to be thinner than other balls.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 09/04/21 05:08 PM

All-Road is drilled . What a fantastic ball.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 09/04/21 07:46 PM

I've got one, too. For me it's similar in shape to the Pro-Motion. Never had a lot of luck with the All-Road though. Got a Hy-Road Max and haven't had good luck with it either. It must be the operator. smile

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 09/05/21 12:13 PM

I match up well to the Roads. One thing about my Roads they are all 16 lb. so technically they are a higher flaring ball than the 15 lb version. As you can see from my post I tend to wait for a deal. Every ball that I have bought I have targeted after I have thrown them at Storm Demos.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 09/12/21 08:46 PM

I seem to match up with the Roads well too, although I only have the Hy-Road Nano and All-Road to base this off of. I also have all 16 lbs and I will agree about the All-Road being fantastic, I picked one up back in February. I had it drilled pin down and it rolls strong, reads the lane great, and hits like a ton of bricks.

Mark

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 09/21/21 06:09 PM

Almost tempted to buy another All-road at Bowlersmart for $80.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 09/22/21 11:56 PM

I've been bringing a different ball to start with each week in our senior league amd this was the week for the Hy-Road Max. Messed around in warm up and still didn't find a good spot. Got through to about fram 4 or 5 and I was standing on about board 27 and targeting board 12 at the dots. A bit later I moved one board with my feet and eyes to the right. Stayed there for the rest of the session. Was right around 180 on each game and was quite happy how things went.
The ball picked up very early and still had a good move on the backend. I must have had wide path to play in this morning... smile
Posted by: 82Boat69

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 09/23/21 04:54 AM

Watched a YouTube video by Mo Pinel where he explains how to drill a low-flare bowling ball. I took a Roto Grip Hustle RAP and drilled it 90 x 1-3/4 x 45. It's now my favorite ball. I'm 73 and can't generate speed like I use to. The low-flare ball hooks more like urethane but isn't as weak as urethane. It allows me to remain right of 30 with my feet and bang the pocket anywhere outside 10. If it has a down-side, anything right on the beak is a split. Ended last year averaging 199. So far this year 213. Anyone who wants to try something new might try low-flare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvMkDIllTY4

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 09/23/21 12:55 PM

I bought a Hustle RAP not long ago. Tried it a few times and I was disappointed thus far. I manipulated my thumb hole tape and it seems to feel a bit better. I'll give it a try again. I got it to replace my IQ Tour 30 which cracked several months ago.
The Tour had a distinctive motion to it and I miss it a lot. I hope I can get the RAP going and have it simulate the IQ. Watched a review of the Hustle Wine and it looked pretty good by getting into a roll nicely. Maybe I can get my RAP to do similar things. We'll see... Good idea on the short pin drilling BTW...
Posted by: goobee

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/07/21 09:04 PM

I got a Brunswick Twist which is supposed to be very weak. I don't use it much, it either goes straight as an arrow or over reacts on dry. My problem of being a low tilt bowler with no speed really kills me in dry conditions.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/07/21 10:14 PM

Try a 'low-flare' drilling layout. I have a PAP of 5-1/4 over and 3/8 down. For low-flare I drilled a 'Roto Grip Hustle RAP' 90 x 1-3/4 x 45.

There's also a Mo Pinel YouTube video on low-flare drilling.

The only downside I've noticed, if your ball rolls too far and you hit the nose, it won't break-down as many splits.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/08/21 01:07 AM

I am high track bowler as well low tilt unfortunately. As such, I use Mo Pinel's Control Layout for High Track layouts on my balls.

https://radicalbowling.com/uploads/downloads/Layouts/radical-layouts.pdf

The layout I have on the Twist is 85x4.5x45. For the most part, this layout has worked well for me on most of my balls as it's a fairly weak layout.

Here's a vid of one of the few times I've been able to bowl with it.

https://youtu.be/KsFLnvpesOo

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/08/21 05:19 AM

The Twist is a symmetric ball, so the drilling angle (85) really doesn't mean anything. All you have is pin-to-PAP and VAL angle to play with. There are a number of things that you can do to get the ball down the lane easier;

First, consider playing around with finger-pitch and also your ring-finger span. I was also high-track 6-3/16 over and 3/8 down. Changing my pitches and reducing my ring-finger span changed my PAP to 5-1/4 over and 3/8 down. It's much easier to get the ball down the lane with more tilt. Mo Pinel also has a how-to video for that. High-track players are ring-finger dominant. By reducing the ring-finger span, you reduce that dominance.

Secondly, consider a longer pin-to-PAP. Go from 4.5 to 5 or even 5.25. This change will stand the core more upright making your ball go longer. Opening up the VAL angle from 45 to 50 will also give you more length. I use 45 on weak balls, but 50 for more aggressive balls. My Hustle is 90 x 1-3/4 x 45 for dry lanes and I have a UC2 drilled 50 x 5 x 50 for fresh oil. A wider VAL angle may also conserve RPM's down lane. I find I leave fewer 10's.

Finally, after watching your video, you hit up on the ball pretty good at the release point. You might want to relax your wrist and work on using a softer release. Let the ball do more work and you do less work. You may discover the ball rolls better at the end, you'll get more RPM's and you might even get more speed. Try to deliver the ball into the lane and remove loft. At our age, less is more.

We will never get any stronger, so we need to get smarter. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it :-)

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 01:16 AM

Yeah, my PSO has been trying to get me to go down a similar path. I gave him carte blanche to drill up a ball that he felt would be most beneficial due to my health limitations. He changed my finger pitch by a lot, so that my fingers were more relaxed. Instead of coming out of the ball like I do now, he wanted me to stop my arm as I released the ball. As you suggested, he also me to let the ball do the work.

I tried it for a bit, couldn't get comfortable and went.

My release goes back to the 80's when balls didn't hook out of the box as they do now. This same release barely moved the ball back then for a down and in shot. If you wanted your ball to move, you had to put "stuff" on it.

Now that I'm much older with bad health, it's time to make the change if I want to continue bowling.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 01:35 AM

I'm 73 and it's really tough to make physical changes. The best way is to try anything new with a 1-step drill. That slows everything down and makes it easier to feel what's happening.

I also use physical check-points during my approach to help me stay physically accurate, otherwise I can be all over the place.

I have a 5-step, so my first check is to flex my wrist and relax my grip pressure. The next check is to make certain I start my ball on my second step. The next check is to make sure I have a proper cross-over step. Next, I want my ball dropping down and swinging back as relaxed as possible. Next, I want my 4th step a little shorter to give me a nice leverage position on my 5th step/slide. Next, and this is really tough, I need to wait for the ball to move forward without my help. Being relaxed at the bottom increases RPM's and ball speed. Finally, I like to have a solid finish position. At 73, with back surgery and shoulder surgery, I don't have classic form, but I can post up most of my shots.

The 1-step for making changes is the best tip.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 03:17 PM

Good stuff there Boat. On your 5 step I do a lot of the things you do at first. Once I do the first couple of steps right everything seems to fall in place. There is point It seems between the 2nd and third step I have a body tilt that helps the ball move to a higher position in the back backswing increasing ball speed. There is very little effort in my swing. I was fortunate to have a few lessons with Mo. He provided me with the proper fit helped me change from a high track low tilt bowler to a medium tilt with a lower track. Guy had an amazing memory. It may of been 6 months, even a year between lessons but he remembered everything about you. I missed the last time he came to town because of COVID I elected not to attend. Shortly afterward he passed.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 03:36 PM

For years, I was four-step and had problems with pushing off consistently. After a 20+ year layoff, I went to a 5-step which helped a lot after I learned how to use the first step as a timing step. Prior to the covid lockdown/layoff, I became very comfortable with my timing; after the layoff, something happened and I lost it. I know something is wrong because my approach/delivery feels awkward at times.

Agreed, having a prebowl routine is very helpful. When I forget to follow it, it usually results in something bad happening.

I'll have to try using the 1-step, especially after I come back from back surgery.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 04:51 PM

At 73 and over-weight, once I get moving forward, any attempt to make a correction can end up as a face-plant or pulled muscle. However, a month or so ago, I actually was able to stop and hold on to my ball right at the foul-line. All my work posting-up my shots may actually be working. Shoulda seen my effort to switch to 2 hands :-) I know what lane-oil tastes like.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 05:40 PM

While I'm not a fan of 2-handed delivery, I think it has it's place in that it has revitalized some interest in bowling.

What I am not fond of seeing is young children, both male and female bowling 2-handed. No one knows the long term affect 2-handed bowling has on the human body.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 05:49 PM

Will be interesting to see what Belmo looks like at 50. Once everything begins to tighten up, 2 hands becomes tougher.

I don't mind the young doing it. It's a choice and if it means a shorter career as 2 handed, they can always switch to one-hand.

I've learned my game is more comparable to the PWBA than the PBA. I once could generate about 450 RPM's but down to about 325-350 now.

Everything deteriorates more and faster each year.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 05:56 PM

I would be happy to bowl like Daria Pajak. I think that young lady is going to have a successful career.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 06:08 PM

Steve Cook's Fireside Lanes had a PWBA event each year prior to the Pandemic.

I had a chance to bowl on a pair of lanes during their practice close to Team Singapore. Just beyond, Daria and Diana Zavjalova were bowling together. There was a 44 foot shot on and I could barely get my ball to move. None of those women had a problem. As amateurs, we're pretty clueless what this kids can do today.

I was surprise by how tall these women were. I'm only 5'9" but they all looked 6 foot. Daria, Diana and Kelly Kulick seemed like giants to me. I was amazed.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 06:35 PM

The ladies may not throw the big balls like the men do, they are impressive nonetheless. They can read and adjust on the fly to the condition changes.

I can barely bowl on easier sport patterns, not at all on National patterns. I can only fathom what bowling day in, day out would be on PBA patterns.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/09/21 07:50 PM

Some men can overpower many patterns. The women need to match their skid, hook and roll to the pattern. That they carry so well with less RPM's is impressive. I read somewhere that Shannon O'Keef only has about 300 RPM's.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/10/21 01:27 AM

Old school bowling rule - hit the pocket at the correct angle, you have a good chance for a strike. With the patterns they bowl on, being able to read the lanes and find the correct speed and release is what separates us amateurs from the pros.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/10/21 05:46 AM

I think E.A.R.L. says 17-1/2 board, 4 - 6 degrees, 17 MPH.

Amateurs can usually achieve 17-1/2, 4 and about 15 MPH. To achieve the steeper entry angles, requires significant more RPM's. 400-600.

Then, all this stuff has to be matched up, so the ball rolls-out just before entering the pocket.

Who knew it was so tough? When I was a kid in the 60's, we just pointed-up a 16 pound industrial-diamond and hoped :-)

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/10/21 08:29 AM

Agree with both of you about women bowlers.

I hate to say I bowl like a woman but if I compare the way I bowl to a pro player it is probably Missy Parkin.

I have always been impressed by the way Missy Parkin bowls. A while back she was throwing 16 lbs with little effort. I donít know If thatís the case today. Her style lets you roll a heavier ball with little effort..

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/10/21 09:37 AM

Going back to the posts about mechanics and form, I went on a mission this summer to fix my timing and increase my ball speed as a product of it. Did some research and found something that works for me. I am putting extra focus on my initial stance and being sure that my all the weight of the ball is in my non-bowling hand before I start. Similar to what was said earlier, I just make sure I'm starting my ball on my second step. Then, I stop thinking about anything except for keeping my head steady on target. My ball speed is higher, my carry has been really good and with my equipment I can play nearly a whole arrow right of where I used to before. When I can execute that correctly, I'm bowling really well. It's just a matter of being sure I do that every time.

Mark

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/10/21 12:31 PM

I think that anything a bowler does to relax their delivery arm is good. What I've read, relax grip pressure, which will relax forearm, which will relax bicep/tricep.

The biggest gains come from staying relaxed on the way forward. If a bowler tries to pull, generally their head will begin that motion, then their shoulder, bicep/tricep and then the forearm. Everything wants to slow the swing down and pull the launch-angle left.

The combination of less ball speed and just a slight pull can cause the elbow to get outside, their arm rolls slightly and the result is a high hit or split.

The added benefit of a smooth swing, it allows the bowler to post-up without falling off to the right.

Finally, we only have a fixed amount of RPM's. Where those RPM's get expended is crucial. We don't want them used up going through the heads, we want them down-lane when the ball begins to roll. During the roll-phase RPM's more than double.

That leads into another topic, balls that scrub off too many RPM's too early. If you can throw 20 MPH, no sweat. If you're like me, I need to conserve all the ball-speed I can.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/10/21 05:19 PM

Mkirchie, it's interesting that you mention initial stance. My previous stance when swinging the ball (I'm a rightie) was standing with both toes aligned. Someone gave me a tip to stand with my left foot slightly forward and together. Apparently I was told this forces my torso to already face my target to the right when I release the ball.

It has helped my inside line deliveries for sure. When bowling straight up or outside, I line my toes up again.

Re: The price of new bowling balls - 10/10/21 06:34 PM

I've been staggering my feet for years. It was pretty standard for 4-steppers. When I switched to 5-steps, I just kept it. I think it was supposed to put you in a more athletic position to start from 'and' open you up to the right.