Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?

Posted by: Mkirchie

Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/03/19 12:04 PM

I might be getting a new ball in March for my birthday and I'm contemplating one of the 4 Hy-Road options. The last month, my Vintage Danger Zone has been starting out great on the fresh and in the early stages of the lanes breaking down. However, when I try to make a second move left to get me inside of 3rd arrow to avoid the breakdown in the front, it is having trouble making it back to carry and the reaction is sketchy. I've had no problem balling down to my Critical Mass and moving back right to find a line in the 3rd game, however I feel like I would like to have an option other than just going weaker. I also don't want to get a ball that could be too similar to the VDZ.

I'm likely to discount the Hy-Road and the Hy-Road Pearl for either being too similar to the VDZ or not being strong enough for what I would like the ball to do. That basically leaves me between the Hy-Road X and the Hy-Road Nano. I'm inclined to lean towards the Nano as I still feel that the X could end up being too similar to the VDZ and it would give me a tool I don't currently have in my bag. I was curious what others think of this ball.

Mark
Posted by: djp1080

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/04/19 12:08 PM

Have all four Hy-Roads. The pearl seems to make a stronger move on the backend than the OG. The Nano is best to handle over, under conditions and covers a lot of boards. The X gets into a set, roll mode.
If you think you'd like to get something that makes it around the corner very well when even moving farther left, take a look at the Code X.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/04/19 02:41 PM

Hy-Road X - Maybe better said, hook, set and roll.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/04/19 05:18 PM

I'll have to definitely put some thought into it. Where I bowl is a high friction center and with being on the rev-dominant side, I'd be worried about going too strong (my big concern with a ball with a strong cover and asymmetric core) and ending up with something I can't use. I can say I'd like the smoothing out of the over-under that the Nano would provide, that's essentially what is happening when I make that inside move as of late. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have also read that the Nano is pretty versatile.

Mark

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/04/19 10:35 PM

Not sure about versatility of the Nano. I've stayed with the OB finish. My problem with the one I have is it's 16 lbs. and I had some fit issues. I think I may have adjusted with tape, but I haven't used this ball as much as I would have liked so far.
Personally I would think the Hy-Road X would be more versatile as it's a polished solid cover to start with. It would probably do well to take it down to 4K grit or lower to suit your needs.
The Nano finishes quite nicely on the backend with the finish it came with out of box.
I kind of wish I got the 15 lb. Nano.
I've stayed with the polished finish on the OG and the Pearl.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/05/19 10:08 PM

From looking at comparison of ratings, I know that I will get less length out of either the X or the Nano compared to the Vintage Danger Zone. The NRG cover on the Nano will be very different from the PK 2016 that Brunswick put on the VDZ. I'm not sure how different the R2X cover on the X will be though.

One ball I loved that I never got to replace was the ball I got from the Pro-Am for the Johnny Petraglia Pro-Am back in 2003. It was a high RG high differential ball (the core was from the old Red Alert Zone) with a particle cover. I could play on almost any condition I wanted to with that ball. I haven't had a ball with what could be considered a strong cover since.

Mark

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/07/19 12:07 PM

How about this Mark?
Compared the VDZ to Storm's IQ Tour solid. Both are solid covers, with about the same RG, but the IQ has a lower differential and a 4000 grit finish. What I have found is that I have to line up practically the same with the IQ Tour as with the Code X despite the differential differences. Also, on THS I didn't make any moves during a set.
Perhaps you could get a similar result with your VDZ by taking the cover to 3000 or 4000 grit matte finish. I'm quite pleased with what I saw with the IQ Tour. It won't work very well on the dry without going to polish or something. Nice to have a IQ Tour 30 polished pearl ball handy... smile

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/09/19 08:11 AM

Thanks for that information. As a side note, one of the main reasons I'm thinking about any Hy-Road in general is the thicker cover. In theory, whatever I get could also become a replacement if my VDZ has any major cracking issues. I can't say I'm very happy with the current thickness of the covers on most newer balls and to get a thicker cover at the price of the Hy-Roads is a great benefit. I believe I would end up with a ball that I can use for a very long time, much like my Critical Mass.

Mark

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/09/19 09:50 PM

Mark, Your reasoning is sound I hope and think. That's why I have a few Hy-Roads as they tend to hold up very well even when filled up with quite a bit of oil.
What I've learned is that these shammy pads do wonders and cleaning of your equipment before and after use pays big dividends, too.
I've gone to a food dehydrator to bake my bowling balls and had good results; however, by cleaning the ball and wiping it while in use has resulted in practically no need for the heating up of the gear I use most.
I expect to use many of the balls I have for many years to come. I do get excited about new balls that have just come out though. smile For example the Storm Crux Prime with it's cover that doesn't absorb nearly as quickly as other gear available other than urethane or plastic. smile
That's my take. I like what I'm seeing with the IQ Tour solid ball. It's low differential and big hook. Perhaps my speed is too low. I've tried slow down for years as I used to throw it at 19 to 20 mph just a few years ago. I'm pleased my speed is right around 15.5 to 16 mph.
Good luck!!!

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/10/19 07:57 AM

Yeah, cleaning helps a lot. I always use a pad during bowling and clean with cleaner when I'm not at the lanes. Last summer for a few days, I put each ball in an empty 5 gallon bucket and took advantage of whatever direct sunlight I get in the early afternoon before the sun passes in front of trees (or when it wasn't raining in the Northeast last summer). Oil poured out of the VDZ but barely came out of the Critical Mass. I plan on getting some dark colored tape to wrap the bucket since most of the heat in the bucket was caused by the lid and not the sides.

Mark

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/11/19 11:32 AM

The food dehydrator works very well for getting oil out of a ball. Previous to that I used the hot water method of sweating out oil in several balls and that worked very well, too; however, I didn't have much success keeping water out of the holes. That's why I went to the hot air method instead.
Like I said before, I seldom use the dehydrator these days.
The three worst balls for soaking up oil for me were:
1 Track 300T, 2 Storm Vivid and 3 Storm Hy-Road.
The traction of the 300T and Vivid diminished drastically, but the Hy-Road was still working quite well although it had a lot of absorbed lane oil.
For several years now I might start up the dehydrator perhaps once a year or so just to check things out. I guess my shammy and ball cleaning methods are working well.
I've learned in the last couple of years that certain balls are best with factory finish and others that I have require changes to either remove the polish or compound finish or to go to a little rougher grit finish to get the reaction working well.
For example, I bought my first Hammer ball (Dark Legend hybrid) which had their Clean n'Sheen finish. I tried several changes to that ball and finally took the Clean n'Sheen off along with sanding it with 2000 grit, 3000 grit and then 4000 grit pads. Next time out it was like a different ball. Before that I was quite disappointed.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/11/19 05:11 PM

I used to do the hot water too, but also got annoyed at the problem with the holes. I tried to buy rubber stoppers used in chemistry applications, but they could never create a perfect seal for the thumb hole and couldn't handle finger inserts at all. Also, since my part of town is on septic I never wanted to dump the used water down the drain and I would instead carry the 5 gallon bucket through the house to dump it outside.

I never got around to the food dehydrator option, I got as far as research.

Mark

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/11/19 06:05 PM

Yes, I looked into the rubber stoppers, etc. Research only. smile
Thought about the inserts getting messed up and loose. Never used that large of a bucket though. It was strange to pick up the ball after 15 or 20 minutes of soaking and find that I had a hard time getting the ball out. smile
Did my Hy-Road one time for three separate soaks or a total of over an hour and oil was still coming out...
The food dehydrator is the way to go for home use IMHO. It works and works well! Thanks to those who posted info on it a few years ago. The NESCO dehydrators work well and easy to make them do the task for bowling balls. I used some duct tape to seal up some of the holes. Didn't add any temperature gauge. Set it for 120 to 125 degrees F and let it do it's magic.
Posted by: BOSStull

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/16/19 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: djp1080

The food dehydrator is the way to go for home use IMHO. It works and works well! Thanks to those who posted info on it a few years ago. The NESCO dehydrators work well and easy to make them do the task for bowling balls. I used some duct tape to seal up some of the holes. Didn't add any temperature gauge. Set it for 120 to 125 degrees F and let it do it's magic.
I have been thinking about doing this myself. I have a teammate that did this and works really well according to him.

Also about home made devices I have a spinner I built from a Northern tool drill press. A total of $59 invested and works really well.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/16/19 09:30 AM

Mark,
About the Hy-Roads. I have the Hy-Road and Hy-Road Nano both at 16lbs both at 500 then Reacta Shine polish.

It would not be fair to suggest either ball because the conditions I bowl on are probably are completely different than yours. I am relegated to playing the outside boards on our league house shot when using the Hy-Roads. To move left I need crisp friction which I do not have. I can go to another center ($&$) shorter pattern high friction and both balls have a completely different and stronger reaction.

I settled on the Hy-Road Nano polished because OOB box it was not really usuable moving left and really did not carry well playing outside. Carry increased with polish with a stronger backend move then the Hy-Road. Both balls are drilled the same.
So you do have the option with the NANO to go to polish but the same with the Hy-Road X since ii is R2X take the polish off.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/18/19 03:52 PM

Thanks BOSStull, I had seen your first post on the thread about the food dehydrator/ball oven but didn't see this one. I just came back from ordering the Nano from my local pro shop. This is the first time I'm getting a ball drilled by this pro-shop. He's getting it in on Wednesday, I might not bother getting it drilled until Saturday and trying it out Sunday morning. My home center is more like the 2nd center you mentioned, 22 year old synthetics with tons of friction. To give an idea of what it is like, I'm playing around 12 at the arrows out to around 6-7 with the VDZ on a fresh shot and would end up around 15 at the arrows or a little further in later on in the night. At the end of one night, I was playing 12 to 8 with my Critical Mass and it was just flying back to the pocket.

My final decision to get the Nano came from noticing that I do have some cracking starting to form along the top of the finger holes on the VDZ. I figured I would get the Nano now while I can and when the VDZ is no longer usable I would consider replacing the VDZ with a regular Hy-Road or an X.

Mark

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/23/19 08:50 AM

Mark,
Hope the Hy-road Nano works out for you.

Over the last couple of weeks I had 2 balls crack. I had a plugged ball crack all the way around the ball. The other one is a Storm Intense that cracked around the thumb while I was using it. It is still usable but iím afraid that further use will only crack more but really donít want drill out and plug. It would be a big plug and for the cost I canít really justify the repair. I guess I will use will use it is no longer useable.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/23/19 09:51 AM

Thanks, I'm getting it drilled later this afternoon. A quick question, does anyone know what RG does Storm puts in their marketing/info for balls? Is it the high RG, the low RG, or the average/midpoint of the two? I had a heck of a time trying to find the RG of the 16 lb VDZ and also discovered that Brunswick only advertised the low RG in most places until I found a copy of the sales sheet online (Brunswick somehow feels that listing only 4 recently retied balls on their site is useful). I now know both the high and low RG and differential for the VDZ. If I know this about Storm, I should be able to make an accurate RG comparison of the balls before drilling to get an idea of what I would like done. If Storm advertises the midpoint, both balls have nearly identical RG's and the Nano has a slightly higher differential.

OK, I found an old post from another forum that indicates that Storm also publishes the low RG. Could someone verify this?

Mark

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/23/19 02:51 PM

Hope the Nano works well for you. I tried to find a definition for you, but didn't want to spend more time. The RG values are the low RG for all manufacturers. I would have expected to find that in writing easily on the USBC website, but nooooo! smile
I check using Storm's VLS spreadsheet to help determine ball layout. My PSO decides from there.
Have fun...
Posted by: 82Boat69

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/23/19 03:00 PM

The RG published is usually the highest radius of gyration for the core. That said, the value published will then fall into 3 categories based on whether the published RG is a 'high', 'medium' or a 'low' RG.

RG's usually fall into a range of 2.46 to 2.80. A ball with a published RG of 2.48 would be considered a low-RG ball. A ball with a published RG of 2.5 or higher, would be considered a high-RG ball.

All 4 of the Hy-Roads have a published RG of 2.57.

Try not to put too much importance on ball specifications. At best, they will only contribute 10% or so to a ball's reaction. 90% will come from the cover-stock and the bowler.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/23/19 03:26 PM

82Boat69, are you sure it's the highest? At 16 lbs (2.57 is for 15 lbs), the Hy-Roads are listed on Storm's site at 2.52 with a differential of 0.058. If that was the high RG, the low RG would be 2.462 and be right on the edge of USBC specs before drilling. I guess Storm could be pushing the envelope that much but they would have been pushing it for over 10 years with that ball. Then again, that differential is also pushing the edge of specs. Personally, I'd just specify the high and low RG values and let people do math to figure out differential. I'd like if the USBC set a standard like djp1080 mentioned.

Yeah, in this case I'm expecting what the ball does to mostly be from cover and not from core. Just want to get that 10% fine tuning as close as possible.

On another note, I was very happy with my experience at the shop and much happier than the last two balls I had purchased from a different shop. He slightly adjusted my thumbhole location to reduce stress on my hand. It feels just like a ball I've thrown for years, but better. I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Mark

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/23/19 04:08 PM

I was wrong. Here's a good explanation;

https://www.bowling.com/bowling-blog/bowling-terms-2/rg-values-and-their-meanings/

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/23/19 04:20 PM

As for drilling for comfort, I know that it's possible to take a person's hand and drill a ball anatomically perfect. Nobody around here knows how. I have a friend who owns his own equipment and he does that for himself, but none of the pro-shops do.

Like the dodo scale, hole size, spans, and pitch are still what many PSO's know. Some have you hold a pencil or a piece of pipe, but there's nothing scientific about it.

Bill Taylor wrote a book about drilling many years ago and he did have a few pages on the anatomical requirements. However, most PSO's learned via OJT and not by reading.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/23/19 06:13 PM

Mark, So I guess I was right. The published RG values are for the low RG. smile
As for comfort my PSO takes good care of me and likely all of his customers even months after first drilling.
I've changed how I hold the ball to attempt to keep my fingers inside the equator of the ball on the swing. As a result I've begun to develop a callus at the base of my thumb and it hurts a bit. So I took several balls in to have the bevel of the thumb hole quite a bit rounder than before. What a difference!
I've been placing some tape at the base lately to protect myself. Hopefully that'll not be necessary in the future.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/24/19 11:08 AM

OK, so my first impression of the ball is wow! It took me about 4-5 shots to get loose enough to get a good read on the reaction and I found a nice line targeting around 16 on the fresh shot. I had a little trouble with bowling too fast during practice the second game, but once I slowed down and got my timing right in the 3rd game, I was extremely happy with the ball. It was hitting extremely hard and carried most every time in the pocket.

In terms of reaction, it is getting downlane nice and just turning aggressively back towards the pocket. When I missed a little right, it's recovering nicely but is still able to hold well when I missed a little inside. If I use this starting out in league, I'll likely have that part of the front of the lane to myself for the whole night. I'm also really excited about the new range of my arsenal as I now can play 4 very different lines on the same lane.

Mark

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/24/19 12:35 PM

Sounds like the layout you went with and the ball fit what you were looking for. Fabulous!
I was at the pro shop the other day and saw the Storm Crux Prime. After having viewed some reviews on it, etc., I decided I needed an early birthday present. smile It's probably going to be too much ball for what I find myself on, but thought that since the other night I was standing on board 35 the other night that I'm getting used to standing on the far end of the lane anyway. smile
Good luck with the Hy-Road Nano. The cover should hold up very well for a long time as long as the surface your on stays pretty clean and doesn't tear it up. The ball doesn't have filler. Mine hasn't soaked up lots of oil, but I keep it pretty clean anyway...

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/25/19 06:12 PM

Looks like you made a good choice Mark in the Hy-Road Nano.

It was Belmo's ball of choice yesterday in the finals at the 2019 PBA Indianapolis Open on both patterns. What baffles me though is why has Storm discontinued this ball when probably the world's best bowler is promoting it for you on television.

Re: Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take? - 02/25/19 07:08 PM

Yeah, I noticed he was also throwing the Nano the week before at the Players Championship. I had a bit of urgency to get the ball before I could no longer find it. I didn`t realize it was discontinued until I couldn't find it as a current ball on Storm's site and saw it as a closeout on an online seller.

Mark