Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live

Posted by: BOSStull

Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 10/14/17 10:16 PM

Going to the Storm/RotoGrip Demo next weekend. What ball will be the cream of the crop?
Posted by: djp1080

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 10/15/17 03:01 PM

My guess is that the Storm Marvel Pearl will come out on top...
Hope you have fun...

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 10/17/17 06:16 PM

You may very well be right about the Marvel Pearl. I'm looking forward to throwing all of them.
Posted by: rrb6699 (RayRay)

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 10/20/17 08:34 AM

just had a matchmaker here. threw every ball. they set up 2 THS, a Nationals Shot and another Nationals pattern with extra head shot.

I'm a fan of strong covers and the Sur Lock was noticeably the strongest reading and reaction. a somewhat close second was the no rules exist. with the generic layout on each ball they all played within 4 boards of one another even on the sport vs THS.

the code red (I was initially interested in) I found needed more friction to react than I hoped. I ordered the Sur Lock. I could figure out how to play each ball, but you could tell the difference in hitting power. especially weaker were the Intense, daredevil trick. the Hot Cell performed admirably on the house shots.

I'm now trying to determine what layout to put on my Sur Lock.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 10/22/17 05:35 AM

Today's the day. RayRay they didn't list the Sur Lock but the last Storm Demo I went to did have balls that were on the advertisement. I would be interested and throwing that one also. As for the pattern all previous Demos at this location have been house shots.

I will be taking my Hy-Road with me for comparison. Curious to see how much of a difference between my HR and the Code Red.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 10/23/17 05:25 PM

Demo is done. Three out of the six balls I would consider buying are the Intense , No Rules Exist, and Marvel Pearl. The Code Red would be included if not being to similar to my Hy-Road.
The Hot Cell and Danger trick I have no need for.

I had no intent on buying a ball while I was there but maybe one of these in the near future may end up in my bag.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 10/25/17 08:36 AM

I talked to my Pro Shop after the Demo. He was kind of surprise that many of his potential customers were opting to wait on purchases at the Demo. The reason was the announcement of the Hy-Road Nano and SON!Q. There is a lot of interest in these 2 balls me included with the Hy-Road Nano.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 02/10/18 06:41 AM

Another Storm Demo. 4 new balls to try.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 02/11/18 07:19 AM

Storm CODE X and Rotogrip IDOL was also added to the Demo..

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 09/16/18 06:51 AM

Here we go again. Another DEMO. Get to throw the new ROTOGRIP and STORM releases.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 09/16/18 01:55 PM

My new center does an Ebonite demo once a month in season. Storm was a couple times, no more.

Motive is a big seller there.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 09/16/18 03:26 PM

MY center Brunswick Zone in Lilburn also has an Ebonite DEMO on September 29. They will be back to back weekends. The Storm is at a Stars and Strikes the following weekend. I am not looking to buy a ball but I like to go to DEMOS to evaluate what the brands have to offer. I will probably do both.
Posted by: 82Boat69

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 09/16/18 05:00 PM

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if bowling ball manufacturers actually have any performance data that 'proves' new equipment is any better than old equipment?

Assuming a ball's surface and specifications are the same as something else that's already on the market, exactly what are bowlers expecting from the same balls with a different names?

What was it that Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result?

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 09/18/18 01:40 AM

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
Posted by: 82Boat69

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 09/18/18 01:52 AM

I think that's what bowlers do when they buy new balls. There hasn't been any new technological break-throughs, so all the new balls are just the same as the old balls with new names, not new performance.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 09/18/18 08:46 AM

that's why my balls are 6-10 years old. Can't find another one to beat them.

I found a good mix and I stay with them.

Good cleaning and a refinish and they have been good as new. And, Lane Master balls don't absorb oil like most.

I contend that the thin covers allow oil to soak into the filler material. And, no matter what you do, it won't come out. The balls don't roll the same as new, and can't be refinished. So, you have to buy new.

All of mine are solid resins with no filler. They don't soak up oil.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 09/23/18 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
Yep INSANITY can apply to bowling. I do the same thing over and over again and expecting strikes but get anything but.
Posted by: wronghander

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 10/08/18 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BOSStull
MY center Brunswick Zone in Lilburn also has an Ebonite DEMO on September 29. They will be back to back weekends. The Storm is at a Stars and Strikes the following weekend. I am not looking to buy a ball but I like to go to DEMOS to evaluate what the brands have to offer. I will probably do both.

Get anything out of this? Got an opportunity to go to an EBI Demo myself but it's an hour away so not sure if it will be worth it. But I've had success with their stuff before (4 of my 6 honor scores have come with EBI balls). The Precision and Scandal/S are two balls in particular I am considering based on the reviews they got from BTM.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 10/11/18 05:44 AM

I did not make the EBI Demo. I ended up having to work the weekend. I am going to try the next EBI at another center when it comes. I really wanted to do the BOWLER ID if nothing else.

I did attend the Storm Demo last Sunday.
The Storm Demo was different then the last few. Instead of a typical house shot there as a lot of oil across the lanes. On the second shift I ended up using the HALO to break the pattern down. Once broken down all the balls did well especially the Physics.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 02/16/19 11:57 AM

Another Storm matchmaker Live.

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 03/17/19 10:04 AM

I did make it to the Matchmaker Live. I rolled all the balls and here is my take on them based on the oil pattern which was a house shot and how they matched up to me.

First ball I threw was the HY-Road X. Based on what the S&$ house shot normally is I threw it where I would throw my HR Nano polished and got my expected reaction. Standing 18 across 8 out to 5. After throwing a few shots time to move on. Now I have a ball to compare others to. thumbsup

Next ball was the Super Sonic. Impressed after the first shot after hitting the Brooklyn side. Had to move in considerably and swing it out to stay in the pocket. This ball covered a lot of boards and was my favorite of the DEMO. I wonder how this would compare to my Katana Dragon. thumbsup

Next I threw the CRUX Prime. Another good ball. I had to move back right a couple of boards from the Super Sonic. Still good ball motion for me. thumbsup

Next the HALO Pearl. First ball missed right. It seemed to keep going not make the turn. I had to move right and slow down a little. Once i got lined up no problem striking. I was back throwing in the HY-ROAD X territory. angel

Next the IDOL PEARL. Ball just didn't work for me. Move right again. Had to pretty much go straight up the boards. thumbsdown

Last of all the Fever Pitch. I wanted to throw this ball to see if it could double as a spare ball. No problem with 10 pins or any other spare. I have a MOTIV Artic Sniper I use as a spare but that is all it is good for. I played the TWIG inside of five with the Fever Pitch and it worked well for me. No problem with carry. I could also play other lines with some success. Liked the fact this this ball is a 2 piece. thumbsup
Don't like the price.

As for all the balls first choice would be the Super Sonic love

After enjoying the day throwing Storm and Rotogrip bowling balls I then went home and proceeded to order a NIB Radical More Cash for $60. nelson

Posted by: djp1080

Re: Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live - 03/18/19 12:02 PM

Thanks for the report. Good job! Sounds like you had found and you found a super price for that Motiv ball... smile