Storm Hy-Road Surface

Posted by: 82Boat69

Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/12/17 03:18 AM

I purchased a 'used' Hy-Road to experiment with. I really like the ball's performance but noticed that wherever I bowl, this ball picks up gunk from the pit :-)

Not only does it pick up gunk, but normal cleaning agents hardly touch these smears. I use Power House ball cleaner, but I may as well be using water.

I polished my Hy-Road hoping it would help, but no joy. Anybody have the same ball and problem? What do you clean it with?
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/12/17 08:51 AM

I have a Hy-Road, at a 2k dull surface and haven't noticed that is any worse than any other ball, as far as picking up gunk. I use nothing but 90% rubbing alcohol on my stuff - cheap at a drug or dollar store, and I am good with the results I get with it. I clean my junk (so to speak) after the session it got used on, before packing up to leave. NOTE: rubbing alcohol is one of the few things that it is legal to use AT ANY TIME. A lot of other preparations are restricted to use only between session or not at all. The USBC website has a page that lists commercial or industrial solvents and their legal status. For instance, MEK and acetone are banned entirely, as they effect the chemical composition of the ball surface.
Good luck, and let us know what your solution was!
Posted by: djp1080

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/12/17 09:49 AM

I have two Hy-Roads. My guess is that since they're shiny almost black polished balls, that you're seeing much of what you're getting on all of your equipment. It's just that you don't notice it as much.
At the house I normally bowl at I have no issue with dirt or grime; however, if I go to three other houses near me, they're all quite dirty especially from the ball returns.
As for me I use a mixture of LA's Awesome degreaser (one part) and alcohol (three to four parts). Get them at the dollar store. Also, use a shammy between shots. Use Storm's Reacta Shine on them as well. Shine them up after 9 games or more. The Reacta Shine has some grit in it which cleans up belt marks and such.
Hope this helps...

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/12/17 10:28 AM

Like all bowlers, I'm use to getting all kinds of smudges on my equipment. I've just never owned a ball that collects so much grime so quickly and I've never had so much trouble removing that grime. I also have 2 Storm 'Locks' that I used during the same sessions and neither collected any dirt. That's why I thought my problem was ball related. The Hy-Road is much more tacky on the surface than the 'Locks'.

Searched the internet and found a number of complaints about the R2S cover stock collecting grime. I guess the tackier a surface is, the more grime it picks up.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/12/17 06:27 PM

I didn't look it up, but going by memory, the Lock ball is a matte finish solid coverstock ball, isn't it? You have it listed as polished. I wonder what polish you're using on it.
The Hy-Road is a hybrid and I believe they use Step 2 compound to yield what they call a 1500 grit finish.
I've used Powerhouse's Clean n'Sheen on my Hy-Road and it works about as well as Reacta Shine. What ever polish you use on the Hy-Road, I'd recommend a company's factory finish unless you'd like to have the Hy-Road go longer down the lane for you.
Good luck...

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/12/17 06:43 PM

I polish all my balls to keep them from soaking up too much oil. I usually use Extender Polish. It also helps me keep my RPM's up and keeps the back-ends from jumping.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/12/17 07:37 PM

When I clean balls, I use paper towels. That really shows the dirt from the surface that got removed. It is also the recommended way to clean, as listed on many cleaner bottles.
Posted by: BOSStull

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/19/17 07:09 PM

I only bought a Hyroad back in June so I am kind of still experimenting. I used the recommended ReactaShine to clean and polish but I did not like the resulting effect. The ball was pushing too far down the lane not getting into a roll and lane motion I desire. I knocked off the shine and tried 4000 grit. Only problem the next week of bowling the lanes was screwed not the normal house shot to compare to. But at 4000 I was able to play line that resulted in a little success. Posting to state Reacta Shine as a cleaner between sessions may not be a good option for all bowlers especially ones with a little speed.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/24/17 05:41 PM

To clean my Hy-Road I will use a cleaner that my Pro shop has. Must be a generic licensed to companies. I believe Buddies sales it also but a get from my local Pro shop. A little support there for my local PS. The Hy-Road does seem to pick additional stuff almost like plastic or something from hitting the pins. Now I have taken my surface to 500,4000 the next step as in the video on the Storm | Code Red Surface Adjustments. Figured this applies to the Hy-Road too.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/25/17 10:47 AM

Sorry to hear that you didn't care much for Reacta Shine. I haven't tried other factory polishes like from Brunswick or Ebonite, but I've used Clean n'Sheen from Ebonite and it's similar.
I just put some Reacta Shine on my Code Black this morning. I haven't polished it up in a while and thought I'd give it a try. Just used a small piece of an old tee shirt with a little dampness on it. Used a swiggle of polish on three different parts on the ball and it took me a few minutes to get it all done. Looks and feels great. Hope it works well now, too. smile
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/25/17 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: BOSStull
e Storm | Code Red Surface Adjustments. Figured this applies to the Hy-Road too.

Thanks for the vid! A good analysis!!

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/25/17 02:30 PM

Saw the same video. Went 500 one way and 1000 the other on my 'Hy-Road' for 20 seconds. Shot 938 for 4 this morning in practice. My Hy-road moves as much as my locks now :-) Not bad for $80 drilled.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/27/17 03:33 AM

Followed up the 938 with 1004 in league yesterday.

279, 278, 243, 204.

I usually don't mess with surface that much, but this Hy-Road has really strengthened by roughing it up a little.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/27/17 09:43 AM

Nice going Boat!

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/27/17 10:04 AM

At my age it's nice to bowl in a 'slot'. Last week we had a fella shoot 259, 300, 226, 267 = 1052 for 4.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/30/17 08:33 AM

Nice bowling Boat. Dropping my Hy-Road to 500-2000. It just did not have a ball motion I desired with our shot. My Particle NS sheen surface was much better choice this week.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/30/17 09:37 AM

Originally Posted By: djp1080
Sorry to hear that you didn't care much for Reacta Shine. I haven't tried other factory polishes like from Brunswick or Ebonite, but I've used Clean n'Sheen from Ebonite and it's similar.
Dip,for a polish it does the job. It's just not the surface for my Hy-Road with the house pattern that I am bowling on.

I did use it to get a close resemblance to the original OOB Sheen finish for my L/M particle balls(800 grit grey scotch brite pad, reacta shine, another light hit with gray pad) to produce a hazing sheen effect. I may try this on my Hy-Road if the 500-2000 doesn't give me the desired affect next week. I bought a 32 Ounce bottle of reacta Shine so it will be my Polish of choice for awhile. nelson

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 09/30/17 12:00 PM

Whenever a person roughs up a reactive ball, they'll create more 'friction' which will reduce RPM's and ball speed at the pins.

We have a relatively oily shot, so I don't lose too much.

In the 'Storm' video where they demo doing this to a 'Code Red' which has the same surface as a Hy-Road, the person in the video also began to lose ball strength with grits under 2000.

I decided to start at the bottom and work up. For my last three 4 game sets, I've shot 936, 1004, 938. In the last set, I changed to a polished Ebonite 'Cyclone' because the lanes broke down.

Lower grits cause my ball to soak up more oil quicker, So I may be wearing down my shot quicker.

I've been working at projecting instead of lifting. Combined with the rough surface, I get a really nice roll into the pocket. I seem to carry everything. If I don't stay under the ball and lose too much axis rotation, it becomes a powder-puff.

It's fun experimenting. Might as well get my money's worth out of my ball spinner :-)

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/01/17 03:19 PM

I had an opportunity to use the spinner at an old pro shop. I would change the surface in mid game when practicing. It helped because it was so close. then I'd change again if I wanted.

I remember changing a ball surface 3 X in a game, to get my desired result.

then in league, the lanes were different and it didn't work. I would mostly change to get more length. don't use polishes much. But used higher grit.

That's when I realized saiar pads were different from wet sand paper. Got so confused between the two. Now stick only with wet sanding, to be consistent.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/01/17 04:40 PM

I use Abralon pads and keep them and the ball wet. Never go for more than 20 seconds.

CG, flip, serial number, rotate 90, 'Name', flip, 'brand'. Creates a nice crisscross pattern.

Sometimes the surface makes the ball unplayable. Then I go up 1000 at a time until it is. For dry lanes, I'll go 3000, 4000, 5000 and then Extender polish.

The key is to make certain the ball begins its roll at the right point. If it rolls too early, I go up another 1000. If it rolls to late, down 1000.

The only real problem I have, sometimes the ball motion looks really sweet, but the carry isn't. If the surface removes too many RPM's and burns up just before contact, I'll leave flat 10's all day.
Posted by: goobee

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/04/17 09:36 PM

My last remaining Storm ball, a Hy-Road pearl the bridge between the fingers cracked on me recently. Not sure when, I haven't used the ball in a while, I was going to try it again and saw it. That makes 4 Storm/Roto Grip balls that have cracked on me.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/07/17 11:37 AM

Sorry to hear that about your Hy-Road goobee.

Leaving my Hy-Road at 2000 Grit for now. Used my NS until the lanes came to the Hy-Road the third game. Wishing I had bought the Hy-Road Solid when it was still available. I threw it at a Demo when it came out and thought it was the best ball at the Demo. Oh Well. Maybe storm will recycle or release a version of the Hy-Road Solid again. Would make a good 1-2 combo for me.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/07/17 12:50 PM

If you thought you liked the Hy-Road solid, you might want to consider the Torrent. Got one recently to replace an old Vivid. I can use the Torrent for all three games on THS usually. Have it drilled up aggressively as I think I need as much help as I can get with a 3 3/8ths pin distance. With my speed it clears the front boards well and digs in nice at the range finders. Not too short and not too long. Perfect... I think you'd like it very much if you like your Hy-Road...

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/07/17 10:40 PM

why do I hear of so many Storm balls cracking?

the pro shop has another given back every week, it seems.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/08/17 02:59 AM

I've never put the question to a bowling ball manufacturer, but here's what I was told by an employee of one. The materials used to make new bowling balls are sensitive to heat/cold. As they warm they expand. As they cool, they contract. Like metal fatigue, they eventually crack. Since the outer shell(s) is weaker and less dense than the core, the shell cracks first.

Cracking between finger holes is usually a bridge that's too narrow. Also, if the edge around a finger, thumb-hole or balance-hole is too sharp, the edges can also crack. I use a thumb-slug and finger-lifts and never have this issue.

I've never had a high-end Storm ball crack, but every Tropical Storm or Tropical Breeze I've own cracked within 3 years, regardless of where and how it was stored.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/08/17 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: djp1080
If you thought you liked the Hy-Road solid, you might want to consider the Torrent.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out. Also seen this on Bowl.com but don't know if it will be a US or overseas release. Hy-Road Nano October 3, 2017
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/09/17 11:46 PM

I'm going to comment when I can read the thread ...... burp

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/12/17 02:49 PM

My surface experiments with the Hy Road Pearl never went well, so I typically go back to out of box. I've reduced my polishing with Reacta Shine to every other week or so now. Ball seems to be the same as the day I got it. On our dry house I try to always keep it polished to get the length. Nearing the end of Year 3 on the HRP.

I've had balls crack for sure, and older Hammer, a Brunswick, my Crux cracked this year. The Crux had been on the carpeted floor for 2-3 months and not used. Bridge crack. The only consistency amongst balls that cracked for me, is that I wasn't using them actively.

I'm currently considering the new Roto Grip Hustle Ink, which many people tell me is the best house shot ball they've ever used. Definitely not a heavier oil ball. I'm still tossing around the idea of a Phase 2. The Ink and the Hy Road are incredible bargains. I priced up an Ink at $89, and drilled and delivered $119.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/12/17 08:00 PM

Steve, What you're experiencing is what I've experienced with my Hy-Road (original version) as well. I probably have backed off on it a bit further. I've been considering getting the pearl version as it's a two-piece ball similar to the original version and it should hold up very well for the long run. smile
I like what I've seen of the Hustle INK. One of my teammates just got one and it looks like a real bowling ball. Nice, shiny and dark color. smile He used it in game 3 and it hit hard...

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/14/17 02:02 PM

So last night the HRP was The ball. If not for some fatigue and lower back pain, my 567 series would easily be much higher. Missed a lot of 10-pins and an extremely easy 6/9/10 spare that would have added count to 3 in a row strikes. Oh well, I didn't fall apart totally.

Last night was typical of that house for me, a little extra oompha and enough hook to make it downlane past the straight bowler carrydown. On two shots, I shocked myself by releasing the ball properly, and realizing what A Lot of Hand is LOL

The Hy Road Pearl is now in need of work. Dirty as crap and some weird surface abrasions, probably from me dumping it in the gutter instead of converting the 6/9/10.

I will order the Hustle Ink, because it's cheap and most love it. I'm trying to figure out my 2-3 ideal balls. Hy Road will be one, and the Phase 2 seems to be on my list still

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/17/17 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveH

I will order the Hustle Ink, because it's cheap and most love it.
This guy loves the Hustle Ink so much he says "Oh, Ill never use that ball again,
https://www.newsday.com/sports/perfect-900-bowler-joe-novara-rolls-ultimate-series-1.14513582

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/17/17 06:44 PM

BTW I ordered one last week and should be ready on Wednesday. I doubt that I'll try it fresh out of the box in league though. I did do that with the Code Black and rolled a 264. Down hill after that... smile

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/18/17 10:06 PM

I had decided on the Ink awhile ago, first review I read.

For 89.95 plus 30 drill out the door, what the heck.

Bought it for the lane we bowl on. I will give feedback.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/25/17 01:27 PM

Steve, I picked up the Hustle INK last week and just got to use it today. The bowler wasn't all that hot, but I just wanted to report that this is performer especially for the price point. It's drilled up 50 x 3 3/8ths x 25. I kept it at an out of the box condition. It's quite similar to a Hy-Road in my opinion. The polished solid cover gets down the lane nicely and matches up with my speed just fine.
I think you'll like what you see with this ball. smile

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/28/17 12:08 PM

Love it! It does have that nice symmetrical shape I prefer on drier lanes. I've been bowling poorly, but when I'm on, it's a great ball.

I will always keep it out of box, though the cover picks up dirt and track marks like my Hy Road pearl does. Roll starts perfectly.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/28/17 03:23 PM

I'm guessing that you're talking about the Hustle INK.
This past week I started with the Torrent in game 1. Switched to a Marvel Pearl in game 2. In game 3 I switched to the Hustle INK in frame 6 I think it was after I had two 3-10's. I picked them both up. smile
Moved 3 & 2 over to board 30. The INK helped me with four in a row and our team got every game. Good night and I'm a believer in this Hustle. The other two balls were great, too. smile

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 11/04/17 05:43 PM

OK, the lanes were heavier in oil. After practice throws, I decided to pull out my Xtreme Damage, pearl ball. This is contrary to what I would normally do. But, the XD has such a strong finish, I had to use it.

Been a while since I used it. And, it took a few frames to line up. Started split open, split open. It really finished strong. Adjusted, to a low 200. Second game, again, 2 split opens, but a 198. Third game, the same, 1 split open and 1 fewer strike, for another 19X game. So, a 600 over all.

Was really happy with how the ball rolled on these lanes with fresh oil. I'll use it again.

Don't mind the splits as I may have pulled a little. With the exception of 2 pocket 7-10's. That was all entry angle, too steep.

the best thing was that I kept my speed over 14 mph for the first time all year.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 11/04/17 05:50 PM

Oops, posted on the wrong topic.

Anyhow, a ball surface change is not peculiar to the HyRoad. I did like the video of the different ball paths. But, I have changed surfaces often to match a specific ball to a specific lane condition.

The problem comes when I bowl at different houses, and that ball doesn't match the second house. I'm not going to bounce back and forth, changing surfaces between lanes. So, I mostly rely on different balls.

I've had 2 of the same ball, drilled close. On one, I changed the surface and got a different ball path and ball reaction. I'm about to do it again. I have a second Black Diamond, and my driller and I have talked about changing the drilling to change the result. I'll prob do that next week.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 11/05/17 09:47 PM

They really should allow for surface changes.

Our driest shot became a real shot this past week. It was predictable, more oil, decent shot overall.

People whined, moaned, cried, complained. I loved it smile

First time ever.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 11/05/17 09:51 PM

Forgot this. I did use the Hy Road Pearl. It was a bit much, not enough. Moved right and switched to the Hustle Ink. Worked fine. Some bowlers are going to bring high end balls next week, I'm staying the same.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/21/18 02:04 PM

I have come to the conclusion that any ball that I have with polish just does not agree with me. 4000 seems to be the desired grit for balls that are normally polished.For the Hy-road and Hy-road Nano both are around 4000 but are completely different due to the actual cover material.

Today I ordered some Stadea Diamond pads instead of the normal Siaair or Abralon that I have used before. I thought I would try these see if they hold up longer. Anybody ever used anything other than ABralon or Siaair pads?

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/21/18 06:52 PM

I own an original Hy-Road drilled 60 x 4 x 40 and use Powerhouse Extender polish and 4000 grit. The first couple of games after polishing are squirrely. After that, I consistently get more RPM's down-lane, which gives me more back-end. The other downside is the polish only lasts 8-10 games. The upside, your balls won't absorb lane oil.

Using a video camera and counting every revolution, I get 14-1/2 with the polish and only 11-1/2 to 12 without. That equates to 325 RPMs versus 295-300. I only throw 14 pounds, so every RPM matters in the roll-phase.

Even polished, my original Hy-Road breaks more than anything else I own, including a Storm Lock.

The 'Perfect Scale' rates a Lock at 234 and a Hy-Road at 172. The Lock has an RG of 2.48 and the Hy-Road is 2.57. That's the difference.

Re: Storm Hy-Road Surface - 10/22/18 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: BOSStull
I have come to the conclusion that any ball that I have with polish just does not agree with me. 4000 seems to be the desired grit for balls that are normally polished.For the Hy-road and Hy-road Nano both are around 4000 but are completely different due to the actual cover material.

Today I ordered some Stadea Diamond pads instead of the normal Siaair or Abralon that I have used before. I thought I would try these see if they hold up longer. Anybody ever used anything other than ABralon or Siaair pads?

I ordered some Tru-Cut pads recently. As I do everything by hand I can't give you info on how long these will last; however, I can say that even their 5000D pad gives a pretty good cut into the ball unlike Abralon or Siaair at 4000 grit. Based on the info on the Creating the Difference website these pads should last quite a while as they don't tend to get clogged up as easy as other designs.
I used tap water with the pads and they seemed to give me the kind of surface I'd like to see.
I bought some of Motiv's Power Gel polish not too long ago. It's rated for 5000 grit according to the ads and the label on the bottle. This is what Storm's Reacta Shine will give you and I think their Step 2 compound will give you that kind of finish, too, with a ball spinner. I've been using Reacta Shine for several years now, but the Power Gel is a little less expensive and in a larger bottle. Good stuff... Hope this helps.
By the way, I picked up a Hy-Road X the other day. I found that it's a bit more controllable and seems to drive it's way through the pins very nicely. A sold cover with Storm's 1500 polished surface.