Sport Pattern

Posted by: Anonymous

Sport Pattern - 03/07/09 06:18 PM

Hey there fellas.

Tomorrow it's been announced that we'll be bowling on a sport pattern. I asked that length he said he thinks its a 40 foot but he wasn't sure. Anything I should look out for to be successful.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/07/09 06:46 PM

Don't miss your target.
Posted by: BayAreaBowler

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/07/09 06:53 PM

Generally this means longer and/or heavier oil, so make sure you bring equipment that will address that.

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/07/09 09:46 PM

bump laugh

curious what people thought of it who have bowled. jim where you at.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/07/09 10:42 PM

Just get to the pocket. If you do that, you'll do well.

If its as true 2:1 sport shot oil ratio.

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/07/09 11:01 PM

pattern on the psyaba.org website.

(drag the image into the address bar or copy and paste the image url into the address bar to enlarge it)

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/07/09 11:10 PM

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/08/09 08:46 AM

Bump before I abuse this pattern like a bad girlfriend.
Posted by: Lefty

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/08/09 11:05 AM

Sport patterns reward consistency and spare picking. Get to the line the same way, hit your target and pick your spares and you'll be OK. Don't, and you won't.

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/08/09 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: A K
Bump before this pattern abuses me like a bad girlfriend.
Posted by: MJA

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/08/09 03:50 PM

I also willing doing a sport league here shortly (spring). I'm curious to this post also.

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/08/09 04:10 PM

I wish I had a benchmark ball today like the hy-road or two.

the lanes were easy, can't have the ball right of the 1st arrow or its not coming back. shoot anywhere in the track area and it was a strike or good count.

i struck only 4 times the whole day though.. only shot a 520. w/e i had fun it was a good learning experience. and only shows me that i need to get coaching and get in some pbax leagues.
Posted by: Smooth Stroker

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/08/09 10:46 PM

You only struck 4 times because you didn't have the dry outside boards to help drive your ball through the pocket. This is why the pros try to create a hook spot by going straight at first and using a higher friction ball.

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/08/09 11:30 PM

thats what i did.

i was standing on like 2-4 i'd guess and throwing over 1st arrow. i kept missing right.. then saying to myself "you can't miss right you idiot its not coming back.. AT LEAST miss left if you're going to miss" and i kept missing right.

i should have just went safe and moved a few boards in.
Posted by: Rickywin

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/09/09 01:36 AM

Bowling is a weird game. The mental game is usually more important, once you have a decent physical game. By telling yourself "idiot, you can't miss right..." I tend to throw it right. You're mind thinks "throw it right" instead of "can't throw it right". Instead of thinking it, you probably should have closed your shoulders a bit considerably, and position your feet toward the 7 pin (not so drastic, but you get the general direction). Its what I have to do for the sport pattern we bowl on during league.
Posted by: Luksa

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/09/09 03:29 AM

I think you were not playing the right part of the lane.

You should have tried rolling straight on board 8 or 9.
Posted by: Lefty

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/09/09 07:59 AM

I agree with Luksa. You didn't strike more because you were playing to far out.

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/09/09 12:07 PM

exactly that's when i stopped. i started playing one board left of the first dot (in the middle of the approach) and 1 board left of the 2nd dot. then i tried after all of this failed in the 3rd game i started moving over way deeper like 25 board at the feet and i was just throwing it over to where it would eventually break when it hit dry and strike..

hey that didn't work either. but it left me with some pretty easy spares.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/09/09 12:37 PM

Most sport patterns you need to be playing straight up the boards, not swinging the ball. If you were standing 25 and playing anywhere near the first or second arrow then you were just swinging the ball way to much. You need to be standing somewhere around 15-18 and go straight up 8 or so. If need be you can always move parallel to the right.

The mental thing is big too. You should always be concentrating on what you want to do, not what you don't want to do. You should say "just hit your target, thats all you have to do" not "don't miss your target idiot". Its the same as golf, if you get up to the tee box and say to yourself "Just don't hit it in the water" you are going to hit it in the water because you are bringing attention to the thing you don't want to hit.

Re: Sport Pattern - 03/09/09 12:39 PM

good learning lesson i guess.