Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad?

Posted by: Gutterballqueen313

Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad? - 01/30/18 06:53 PM

Hey all,

I'm in the process of switching centers from one with the old wooden lanes, to one with newly resurfaced synthetic ones. The ball I currently use is a vintage 12 lb. Lucky Strike by Columbia. (It has lived up to its name, I won a prize for best female average in a charity bowling tournament!) I use a fingertip grip and am fairly comfortable with that, but concerned that it won't be as effect on a different surface.
I don't know what the ball is made of, so I don't know if it'd work just as well or not. Should I keep using it, or switch to something newer?

Thanx for all your help. smile
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad? - 01/30/18 09:05 PM

If I read correctly. It seems to be a plastic bowling ball. If so, it will slide alot on synthetic lanes, and not finish well.

Most would use it as a spare ball, not for strikes.
Posted by: Dylan585

Re: Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad? - 01/30/18 10:17 PM

Id recommend getting something newer... Unless you have 600 RPMs the ball wont do anything and will hit like a limp noodle!
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad? - 01/31/18 12:03 PM

Hi Lynda

You've got the plastic thing going against you. Synthetic lanes and the basic nature of plastic means that the ball just isn't going to do much of anything.

So in addition to changing to a more modern ball, I would also see if you can go up in weight.

My M-in-law uses a 12# ball and you can see it deflect a LOT in the pins. My wife uses a 14# ball and the difference is huge. IF YOU CAN, see if you can go up even to 13 or 14#. It will make a big difference.

smile
Posted by: Gutterballqueen313

Re: Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad? - 02/03/18 11:33 PM

OK, so I will see if I can get a 14 lb. ball, thanx all. smile

I am just wondering now if they have any 14 pounders that are not too heavy for my arm, but also very effective pinwise.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad? - 02/04/18 03:52 AM

Queen, I know mine does, but if there is a pro shop, see if they have any decent balls that have been traded in. If this is a trial, why spend the money for a new ball just to try.