Bowling Power Player Thread

Posted by: KahKiat

Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/12/11 06:55 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_form

http://www.humankinetics.com/mediasvr/MarketingPDFs/Jowdy/Jowdy%20e4532%20p68-71.pdf

Cranking

A cranker is a bowler who strives to generate revolutions using a cupped wrist or excessive wrist action. Crankers who rely on wrist action may have a high backswing and open their shoulders to generate ball speed. These bowlers often cup the wrist, but open the wrist at the top of the swing. Crankers may also muscle the ball with a bent elbow because their wrist is not strong enough to be cupped at the release. Crankers often use "late" timing, where the foot gets to the foul line before the ball; a technique known as plant and pull, hardly using any slide on their final step and pulling the ball upwards for leverage. The timing between the feet and the ball being delivered is only a fraction of a second. Even though the plant and pull bowler is sometimes used as another name for a cranker, it is rather misleading because some crankers slide more, while bowlers with other styles can also use this technique. The term "cranking" is used to describe the style of release and heavy wrist action that typifies crankers. Because of the high rev rate and power crankers have, they can throw powerful strikes even on less-than-perfect hits, but are more prone to splits rarely left by strokers or otherwise. Because many bowlers have a style that can be described as a cranker or a power stroker, the term power player is used for any bowler who can generate high revolutions or ball speed.

Some crankers use a low backswing but have a cupped wrist in order to generate high revolutions; this was the "old-fashioned" way of cranking. Notable bowlers with such a style include Jim Godman, Bob Learn, Jr., Ryan Shafer, Kelly Coffman, and Bob Vespi. Mark Roth was among the first bowlers to crank the ball using a high backswing and excessive wrist action. Other bowlers who followed this style include Amleto Monacelli and Jason Couch. Robert Smith, Michael Fagan, and Tommy Jones are often considered crankers due to their high RPM rates, but each has a smooth slide-step so they can also be classified as power strokers.

The myth that crankers are not good spare shooters is not always supported. Roth, for example, was one of the best spare shooters on tour in his day, and was the first person to convert the nearly-impossible 7-10 split on national television. Robert Smith and Jason Couch both post very high spare-conversion percentages.
[edit] "Tweening"

A tweener (a term derived from "in-between") is a bowler that delivers the ball in a manner that falls somewhere in between stroking and cranking. This modified delivery could use a higher backswing than is normally employed by a pure stroker or a less powerful wrist position than a pure cranker. Some use the term to refer to a bowler who is simply not a "picture perfect" example of either a stroker or a cranker.

Notable tweeners include Brian Voss (primarily a stroker, but not "picture perfect") and Doug Kent (considered by some to be a power stroker).
[edit] Power Stroking

A variation on tweening is used by a very successful and well-known bowler, Pete Weber, who is considered a power stroker. This term refers to a bowler who relies on a high backswing and open shoulders to generate potential ball speed and a big hook, but uses the timing of a stroker. It can also be used to describe a stroker with a high rev rate, or a cranker with an unusually smooth release. A power stroker's release is both smooth and powerful, generating many revolutions via a wrist snap or flick of the fingers, without muscling the armswing. Some other famous power strokers include Bryan Goebel, Wes Malott, Doug Kent (often considered a tweener), and Chris Barnes (often considered a stroker).

http://www.tenpinbowling.org/view.php?page=the_game.styles

Cranker

Cranker: Tim Mack. http://www.brothergate.com/3rdopenpicThe 'cranker' style is a more modern bowling style. This style is used by bowlers which nature it is to open up their shoulders and use power and muscle to deliver the ball.
A cranker will stand deep inside on the approach and he will have a 'late' timing, in which a cranker will use a lot of muscle. The bowler's shoulders are thrown open to accommodate his high backswing. His wrist will be cranked/cupped and his elbow bent to keep his hand behind and under the bowling ball, so that he will be able to lift the bowling ball at the end to create a lot of hook and revs. His slide gets to the foul line before the bowling ball gets there and the cranker will (almost) be standing still at the foul line before delivering the ball (this is also known as 'plant-and-pull'). His shoulders will still be open at this time, due to the high backswing. This results into a strong push towards the finish before delivering the ball.
This creates high leverage for a very good, but less controllable, ball reaction. A cranker throws the bowling ball towards the gutter and into the 'space'. He will play the ball from the heavy oil towards the dry parts of the lane, where it will be screaming back towards the headpin. The ball will have a huge hook and lots of revs, and due to this a cranker is able to play in heavy oil.
The track on the bowling ball of a cranker will also often be beside the thumb and fingers, but will be closer to the fingers than to the thumb. Furthermore you will find a lot of flare on his bowling ball, more than you will see on a stroker's ball.
A cranker is less consistent than a stroker and needs more 'space' on the lane to play his game. But when this 'space' is available to him, a cranker will be very hard to beat, due to his surplus on hook and mostly revs.

http://www.amfbowling.co.uk/bowlingacademy/hooks.aspx

The Cranker

This is the classic style of hook bowler. The Stroker's sliding foot stops just before the ball gets to the bottom of the swing, creating moderate leverage for a good, controllable ball reaction.

The Cranker gets maximum revolutions on the ball, producing more power than any other type of bowler.

Generally the Cranker will stand with their feet to the left hand side of the approach, and swing their ball out to the edge of the lane.

In order to create this, the Cranker uses "late" timing (getting to the foul line before the ball). They plant their foot and pull their arm through, bending the elbow to keep the hand behind and under the ball and leaving the shoulders open for maximum leverage.

A Cranker is prone to injury due to the amount of "muscle" they put into each shot.

Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/12/11 08:49 AM

Great stuff, KahKiat!

Hey! I finally spelled your name right !

That last bowler - Kevin Walter - is doing my new favorite shot.

I don't do the high backswing, thhough. I get pretty much the same action out of it, but haven't learned to control it yet under various conditions.

It works best with my 0-pitch thumbholes.

You can release it without all the oomph to soften the shot, so it's flexible. Very speed-dependent, so that adds another dimension of both difficulty and variability/adjustability.

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/15/11 10:44 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/17/11 03:01 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/18/11 07:23 PM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/18/11 10:22 PM

Posted by: looseleftie

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/19/11 07:54 AM

OMG some of their ridiculous backswings... Seriously, I can't even begin to think about how some of those guys shoulders must be feeling by the end of their league night, not to mention consistancy..

I get why bowlers get their backswing higher, but some of these guys, why???
Posted by: ex-mpd

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/19/11 05:30 PM

I agree. Some of those backswings are crazy! WTF?
Posted by: TheDemolitionMan

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/21/11 01:24 AM

For sure. I'm not sure some of them need it that high if they are using muscle to control the ball and its speed.

I'm wondering though why the King of Swing, Michael Fagan isn't on here? His mentor, PDW is but he isn't. That's a travesty. He has an almost vertical swing.

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/23/11 07:07 PM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 02/25/11 06:37 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/07/11 10:46 PM

Posted by: J.Brown

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/09/11 12:45 PM

I apparently have a very high back swing not like some of those guys. I didn't realize till I saw myself on video. Now there is a highschool bowler that bowls in a local house here and his back swing is insane vertical just like Fagans BUT one difference this kid doesn't need the back swing. Even with that giant back swing he doesn't produce huge rev's or big speed from it I don't get it lol.
Posted by: spectral

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/09/11 01:22 PM

ay yes i've seen that a lot of times too. players with an almost vertical swing that throw the ball with 3 revolutions down the lane at around 10mph lol smile
Posted by: J.Brown

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/09/11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: spectral
ay yes i've seen that a lot of times too. players with an almost vertical swing that throw the ball with 3 revolutions down the lane at around 10mph lol smile

Yup, I noticed too he get's his rev's mainly from his relase he crosses his body. I've talked to him about it but he only says I like my back swing and so does everyone else lol. Ok well in a few years when your shoulder is screwed from doing that you'll learn haha.

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/09/11 08:25 PM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/11/11 07:41 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/15/11 05:07 PM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/16/11 10:33 PM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/20/11 04:12 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/20/11 11:10 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/21/11 06:40 PM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/23/11 01:14 AM

Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/23/11 11:58 AM

Is this just a thread of cranker videos? Should it not go in the videos section?

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/29/11 08:10 PM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 03/29/11 11:07 PM

Very impressive. Love the slow mo's at the end. Great technique. Shows that you don't need lots of muscles to do this.

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 04/17/11 03:39 AM

Posted by: kwik8

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 04/18/11 08:34 PM

Lots of Motiv balls in there.

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 04/28/11 11:39 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 05/07/11 11:29 PM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 05/08/11 04:20 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 05/19/11 10:35 AM

Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 05/19/11 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: KahKiat

This is Greg Young, a local bowler from my local center and what I consider my "home" house.

This was actually taken in my home center Shore Lanes Merritt Island, notice the masking units are the same as in with my own videos I have posted.

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 05/19/11 10:32 PM

If that ball's more than 10 pounds, I'm impressed.

Aw heck, I'm impressed anyway. Wish it were that easy for me.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 05/20/11 08:17 AM

Originally Posted By: 10PinGaloot
If that ball's more than 10 pounds, I'm impressed.

Aw heck, I'm impressed anyway. Wish it were that easy for me.

If this was replying to my post it is definitely more than that haha.

Greg throws 15 lb equipment. He is also a student of Tom Blasco (like me) as well as Jeff Marks.
Posted by: KokomoKid

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 05/22/11 10:28 PM

Great bowling videos

Thanks for posting these!

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 06/16/11 08:24 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 07/20/11 07:12 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 08/06/11 05:20 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 08/13/11 12:11 PM

Awesome slow mo's. What I like is that there are several amateurs, each with their own personal style doing the same or similar release, so you get a real feel for what is happening.

They all use a lot more arm action in their releases than I do, but they're young, so....

This is probably the best video I've seen showing how the actual release portion of this style of release is done, while some of the first ones you posted in this thread show best how the arm and form contribute their parts.

Great stuff!

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 09/12/11 08:09 PM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 09/13/11 06:17 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 09/19/11 06:40 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 09/20/11 08:13 AM

Re: Bowling Power Player Thread - 09/21/11 08:10 PM