Collegiate Bowling Requirements

Posted by: Joe Bowler

Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/17/09 12:53 PM

Can someone refer me to the requirements for someone to bowl collegiately?

The reason I ask is I know a young bowler who will be graduating high school this year. He came up through the junior bowler program. His current league average is in the 230's.

When I asked him about college, he said that because he bowled in an adult league, he is no longer eligible to bowl on a college team. That did not make sense to me. So, I am looking for guidance to pass on to this talented young bowler.

If anybody can tell me, or direct me to where I can find the requirements, I would appreciate it. Also, is NCAA bowling just for women? Thank you.

Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/17/09 01:01 PM

Is it NCAA or Intercollegiate? I believe Intercollegiate he could still bowl, but if it's NCAA then he's out of luck. It's something in the NCAA rules about participating in events that award money or something like that. It could also have an effect on scholarships for other sports. I might be wrong on some of this, but I know there was a discussion at the pro shop a few weeks ago regarding something similar.

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/17/09 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: infernocal
Is it NCAA or Intercollegiate? I believe Intercollegiate he could still bowl, but if it's NCAA then he's out of luck. It's something in the NCAA rules about participating in events that award money or something like that. It could also have an effect on scholarships for other sports.

I don't know. I am searching for options for this young guy. It seems strange that bowlers can bowl in leagues, tournaments, etc. that have cash prizes and still be considered an amateur, but they can't bowl in college?!
Posted by: Rickywin

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/17/09 01:15 PM

Uhm adults can't bowl in college? Of course they can! I'm an adult in USBC's eyes and I've been bowling for about two years in the collegiate program. I doubt NCAA would be any different.

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/17/09 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickywin
I've been bowling for about two years in the collegiate program. I doubt NCAA would be any different.

Thank you, Ricky, for speaking up. If it is not the NCAA, can you tell me what is the name of the organization in which you bowl for college? Also, if it's not too much trouble, can you tell me some of the other schools that participate, or direct me to a link?
Posted by: Rickywin

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/17/09 01:41 PM

http://www.bowl.com/college/
USBC Intercollegiate. Participating schools: Wichita State, Saginaw Valley, West Texas A&M, Pikeville, Fresno St, Neuman.

More names can be found at collebowling.com
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/17/09 02:09 PM

It's the money issue, whether it be an amateur or pro. A few years back leading up to the Winter Olympics, a skier received a sponsorship contract for training and so on. He was also on an NCAA team, I believe it was football. He became ineligible for the NCAA team. It's their policy. To them if you participate in an event for money you are no longer an amateur.

For more definite answers you will probably need to contact the NCAA or other collegiate programs. It's their rules that are in question.

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/17/09 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickywin
http://www.bowl.com/college/
USBC Intercollegiate. Participating schools: Wichita State, Saginaw Valley, West Texas A&M, Pikeville, Fresno St, Neuman. More names can be found at collebowling.com

Excellent, thanks for the info.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/17/09 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: infernocal
It's the money issue, whether it be an amateur or pro. A few years back leading up to the Winter Olympics, a skier received a sponsorship contract for training and so on. He was also on an NCAA team, I believe it was football. He became ineligible for the NCAA team.

Jeremy Bloom. He was a receiver at Mizzou.
Posted by: nosoup4you718

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/18/09 04:54 PM

I've bowled college the last two years.

He is definitely able to bowl in college. You can choose your sanctioning in college, adult or youth. (you can only be youth if you haven't been in adult leagues/tournaments etc)

I'm sanctioned collegiate adult. Bowl all adult leagues, and tournaments and am still eligible.

If this was a female bowler looking to bowl NCAA there might be issues, but this being a male bowler there is no problem.

If you have any questions about collegiate bowling feel free to post or message me.

Posted by: Paul W

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 07/18/09 05:28 AM

High, former collegiate bowler here and yes he will be eligible to bowl. Mens bowling teams are still considered club sports and are not currently in NCAA. Women on the otherhand have option of either remaining a club sport or being recognized by NCAA which also comes with certain requirements so only some women teams have made the cross to it. He will be fine as long as he remains in good academic standing (2.0+ cumulative grade point average) and has a minimum of 12 semester hours per semester. If he drops below 2.0 or gets below 12 hours for a semester he becomes ineligible to bowl.

One thing to note, the collegiate tournaments are pretty hard and averaging 230+ on a house shot is respectable but it would serve him well to bowl on sport patterns and get used to them as fast as possible. I have seen plenty of 220+ house bowlers fail miserably when put on sport patterns. Not saying he will do poorly, but the transition from house shots to sport patterns can be rather humbling to say the least.
Posted by: RDubYa

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 01/03/10 06:54 PM

I agree that currently the NCAA only involves women's bowling. I couldn't find any rules in the USBC collegiate eligibility guidelines that would prevent former adult league bowlers from being on a collegiate team.
Posted by: JW123

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/30/10 10:50 PM

With USBC Intercollegiate, the only requirements are that you meet the academic requirements (has something to do with GPA and the number of credits passed) and be enrolled as a full-time student.

The issue would be with a female bowler in an NCAA program because the NCAA has rules about professional/amateur status. Girls can compete in scholarship tournaments before going to college, but can only be in prize money events if they accept up to actual necessary expenses for competing. NCAA also has rules regarding what participants are allowed to do during the school year in terms of outside leagues. (Being on a team in an outside league is a no-no, subbing in an outside league is only allowed during vacation periods, but pacing in a league is legal.)
Posted by: Justinmill14

Re: Collegiate Bowling Requirements - 05/30/10 11:43 PM

Not all of the mens teams are considered "club" sports but you areright that only the women have the choice to be NCAA. All of the mens collegiate bowling is in the intercollegiate bowling. Not exactly sire why, but some colleges consider their bowling team a club sport but others consider it as a team sport, i talked to one of the coaches and he said that a lot of it has to do with how the college funds the team as far as being considered a club or team.