High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams

Posted by: lindzee1113

High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 08/20/05 02:15 AM

Last summer I initiated a project to get a bowling team formed at my high school because we only had an intramural group that didn't compete with other schools. Here in Indiana bowling isn't at the varsity level for high school students, and so high schools aren't required to sanction a school's bowling team if one is formed. Eventually, we got a team formed, but my high school refuses to acknowledge its existance. It's a little ironic because last summer I went to the school athletic director to discuss forming a bowling team and he was all for it as long as we could support ourselves without money from the school (and we did). Even throughout the season he would stop me in the hall and ask me how it was going, etc...however, he seems to be the only one that cares the school has a team. He gave us permission to put up fliers around the school to advertise try-outs; every single one of them was taken down within a few days they were put up, and I also sent in an announcement for the school news but it was never broadcasted. The team took its own photos for the yearbook and the yearbook director himself told me that we would have a page for the team; I just got my yearbook and the team is not in there. The intramural club is, though, and so are all the other independent teams that my school doesn't sanction, like rugby and hockey.

Does this go on at any other high schools/colleges? Actually, the high school boy's team that won state in Indiana two years ago had a similar problem - their school wouldn't even display the trophy on campus.

I know a lot can't be done in a case like this (unless someone out there has an idea lol); I was just curious to see how other high schools treat their bowling teams.

Regardless if anyone at my school cares about going to the meets, etc., it just makes it difficult in a case like this to find people in a school of 3,000+ that are bowlers that might like to go out for the team. We basically relied on word-of-mouth to get the try-out dates known, and I fear that we'll have to do that again.

If anyone can offer and help, I'd truly appreciate it!!

Lindsay <><
Posted by: Just call me Al

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 08/21/05 10:59 AM

Lindzee1113,
Sorry to hear that your school is treating bowling this way. You need an adult either from the school or the PTA on your side. If your school has a PTA, ask to address them on this. Check with the athletic director again. You may want to bring up the fact that scholarships are now being awarded in bowling as well.
The squeeky wheel gets oiled.
Don't give up the fight.
Posted by: No open tenths

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 08/24/05 11:53 PM

I grew up in Bay City Michigan a very big bowling city (30,000 population 6 bowling centers). I didn't bowl in high school but I never remember hearing about the existence of a bowling team even though we were in contention for the state title many years. Unfortunatley very few young people give the sport the recognition it deserves and this attitude is carried on by many adults. I'm behind you to do whatever you can to be appreciated as the athletes you are.
Putting up flyers at your local centers may be more helpful than around the school. Also speak to any youth coaches in the area and tell them what you are looking to acomplish. Good luck!
Posted by: Smash49

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 09/12/05 09:53 AM

Lindzee

See if your state has an organization that handles high school bowling. What you described is not uncommon here. The people that handle high school bowling in your state may provide you with all the documentation to start with. You might also contact Bowling Headquarters at bowl.com to get some help. They may be able to point you in the right direction with guides and information. Texas is a club sport state and many of the high schools here have football as a religion:). That is about the only thing they consider. Our program is run with the help of an afterschool program called STEPS or Skills TO Empower People Socially. This helps because the school district already recognizes their work and sees it as a value to the students. You might look for someone like this at your school to be your sponsor.

Smash49
Posted by: Nate

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 12/10/05 02:34 PM

At my school we're just seen as a club. The school really doesn't care about us in anyway. I also play ice hockey for my school and it's the exact same way. They won't let us in the homecoming parade anymore and our principle feels we are a disgrace to the school. As for the bowling team....I don't think the principal knows we exsist.
Posted by: SlashMassacre

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 02/03/06 08:29 PM

Well i have a good story. Our school has been around 31 years, and we have never even had a bowling club. Us bowlers had no high school team to speak of. I got sick of it, so I started a bowling club. Now it is going to be a varsity team sport against all other Kansas teams. I think high schools who are against something you like are complete a$$holes. I get made fun of at school because instead of football or wrestling, im doing bowling. they shut up when i flash my 300 ring though. Anyway, do what you can to make it better, bring it up to the district, not just the principal. Hope i helped at all'

Colton
Posted by: Robert Lee

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 03/19/06 10:35 PM

When I was in high school, I lettered in bowling, but the teams from each high school were formed by the youth association. Each team competed against each other, and it was a traveling league, so we got to bowl in 3 of the 4 centers in my town. We won the championship the year I bowled with the team, but when we wanted to display the trophy, we were told it was ok by one vice principal, but the athletic director said we couldn't. So we just decided to just display it in the center, but you can't give up the dream. I love to bowl so much that I am starting a collegiate program at Colorado State University-Pueblo in Pueblo, Colorado, so if I can do it, we all can do it. We need to prove a fact that bowling is a sport.
Posted by: The Dude

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 04/02/06 07:54 AM

Our school has a similar, but not too similar, situation. We have a bowling team, and we're actually really good. Bowling is a club sport here in Wisconsin, and we're not supported by our schools (at least we're not). The lanes that we bowl at for home school meets pitches in more than the school does, for instance giving us a coach bus to travel to a meet. Anyway, I'm really disappointed that the school doesn't want affiliation with us. In 2004, we had 2 teams in the state tournament and they took 1st and 2nd place. We also had the individual state champ in 2004. This year, we made it back on the TV finals for state and finished 3rd place. There's only one other team in the state that's made the finals as much as we have over the last couple years, but yet, the school wants nothing to do with us, and they refuse to display the 3 conference championships we've won, or any of our 3 state tournament plaques. I don't need to worry about it though, I just wrapped up my senior bowling year.
Posted by: Colonel Sandbagger

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 04/24/06 09:49 PM

Lindzee,

Our school has a similar situation, although bowling IS regognized as a sport here in my section of Upstate New York. As much as we are regognized as a Varsity team, life is not that fun for us. The athletic director, instead of hiring some of the Gold level coaches in our area who are more than willing to coach us, highered an assistant football coach/lunch moniter to be a sort of dignified babysitter. He knows about as much about bowling as the chair I'm sitting on. Firstly, he only looks at total pins in tryouts, not even caring (probably because he doesn't know about...)form or spare picking. I was cut as a 7th grader, although better than many of the kids that tried out, simply because I was, to my disadvantage, a seventh grader. He seems to be out to get the older, but lesser bowlers, some sort of bragging right their on a varsity sport. We are hoping to get enough support to throw him out this year.
Don't give up though, with enough support, you can make anything happen thumbsup
Posted by: Coach439

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 05/22/06 12:54 AM

I to want to encourage you to "not give up the fight." When my daughter was in High School, some schools had teams as a club but not her high school they were very academic (the football team never won a game). So when she decided to start a team she received alot of opposition, but she didn't give up. In her sophomore year she managed to get them to allow the team as a club as long as they had an adult advisor that had to clear the school board as a substute teach and was wiling go to all of the matches each week about 15 weeks, but she found someone and they had a team for 3 years. She was top bowler for the all 3 years and went on to receive a scholarship to bowl for the University of Nebraska - Linclon and has 3 national titles out of the 4 years she bowled.
So don't give up the fight to get the school to let you have a team or to reconize the members for High School, Female bowler have many oportunities to get there advanced education to be paid, also if you are a female with at least a 180+ average and want to bowl for college, first look at www.SUbowling.com and go to "join the team page" and fill out the info. Then, if you are not interested their you can go to NCAA.org to get a list of other schools.
There are some club teams that offer some scholarship money but they are very few and usually you have to try out for them before you get it.
Posted by: Smash49

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 05/22/06 05:52 PM

It does take a lot of work. I put in over 500 hours annually to the High School team including a lot of travel time. I spend at least a week at the coaches summit where ever it may be every year. The students and their parents also do a lot of work. Lobbying the school district, talking to newpapers etc. Fundraising also is a big thing. Bowling is not free in Texas! at least for most schools. Like Coach439 has stated keep working at it. All our schools seniors on the bowling club have been excepted to colleges and we are still looking for more schools.

Smash49
Posted by: Coach K

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 05/24/06 02:22 AM

Ugh, I would've loved so much if my HS recognized a bowling team.

Wow, I love that game so much!
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 08/28/06 09:50 AM

I guess, I was fortunate. I received a Varsity letter for each of the 4 years of HS Bowling. But, it took a dedicated teacher in the school to be the moderator and keep it going. Don't even know if he could bowl. His problem was to get budget to pay for school bus and bowling. Another problem was the overlap with other Fall sports of Football and Basketball. Kids had to choose between them. Some exceptions were made because the Moderator was able to schedule bowling meets on Friday, late after school. This was a normally slow Football practice, since our games were usually on Sat at noon. I bowled, and played FB.
Posted by: Brian Longo

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 08/28/06 10:20 AM

I was fortunate enough to live in a state where bowling is a recognized Varsity sport (New York). I bowled all 6 years I was in Junior and Senior High School and my team won the Boys' State Championship in 1992. To me, high school bowling is like a college bowling atmosphere in that it's enthusiastic and a great learning experience if you want to continue competing at a very high level. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for school bowling, I wouldn't have some of the friends I have now.

For those of you who don't have it, keep working at it. Bowling, in the youth levels, is showing a resurrection of sorts, and may arrive near the level of popularity it once held with adults back in the "heydays" of the 50's through 70's. I've said it many times before, both as a youth bowler, as an adult bowler, and now as a coach - kids are the future of any sport and we need to give them any and every opportunity to succeed and enjoy the sport that we possibly can. Without youth participation, this sport will continue to decline where only diehards remain.
Posted by: Rollin' Cowboy

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 08/28/06 06:21 PM

Lindzee

In the small town(Lindsay, Okla.) where I grew up there was no bowling team at all for students. Varsity or otherwise and certainly no club. My suggestion would be to contact the school board for one and discuss this at an open meeting but you will most likely have to have other kids interested in it other than 1, 2, or 3 of you. Get your word out and keep it out. Originally I'm from Oklahoma where as DJ mentions it above that football is like a religion. Sadly it is that way in almost all cities...small, large, or metropolitan.

Since you are 17 and on your way to graduating HS and moving on to college....one thing the board may need to realize is that if the school does decide to recognize you then it might mean more scholarships for those in the future for students such as yourself. In this case you may end up being the "martyr" by your activism in getting recognition but if you don't continue to try and see it through....it certainly will not ever be recognized.

I'd also get in touch with collegiate coaches who may lend you a hand or even attend the meetings with you. There are always options so utilize anything and everything to see your accomplishments through. It will not be an easy journey and it will frustrate you to no end....but there is one thing I want to invoke in you.....one voice cannot change anything.....a multitude of voices can change everything. Find sponsosrs or whatever you need to do.....but if the school won't recognize and support you and you have to find outside sponsors to do it....then remind the school that whatever revenue you bring in to support your organization that they will certainly not reap the benefits that you bring in. Let them cut their own throats.
Posted by: HertzPBA

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 03/29/08 09:54 PM

This crap happened at my school. Many people tried many times to get a team going and to get the area going competition and no one has interests in it. Its like they think bowling isnt a sport or isnt hard compared to other sports.
Posted by: Smooth23

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 03/30/08 12:01 AM

Here where bowling is very big now, one of the local schools demoted bowling from a team to a club this year. Boys and girls both made enough money, I think boys ended up 6th in state, girls 2nd.
Posted by: Timotheus

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 03/31/08 09:11 AM

I lettered in bowling my 4 years in high school as well, and in fact won the Section III team, doubles and singles tournaments at the end of the season my sophomore, junior and senior years respectively (I may be the only one to have done that, I'm not sure though). My school recognizes bowling as a varsity sport, and in fact almost every high school around here has a varsity and JV bowling team.

Lindzee your school may have a problem with thinking that it will have to shell out extra funding for the bowling teams. One of the schools near me (Oswego) had to disband their team because their local lanes burned down and the school couldn't afford it anymore.

As for the one high school administration thinking ice hockey is a disgrace to the school, that's just sad. He's probably a big football guy and anything that's not football doesn't matter to him. Actually that's kind of the way it is all over the country nowadays, though thankfully my area recognizes the importance and diversity of all sports from football to baseball to hockey to bowling to basketball.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 03/31/08 10:33 AM

New Jersey has been a good state for HS bowling too, but my HS was similar to others in how our team was treated, even though they had a team long before I got there. My Freshman year, we had no school provided transportation to the lanes that were 9 miles away, we had to get there ourselves. Next, for my Sophmore-Senior year we were given transportation to the lanes, but not back to home. During those 4 years we had a winning record every season, including winning our first county championship in my senior year. We went on to win our sectional that year too to go to states. That year, 2 of my teammates and I were named to the all-county team.

Even with success, we were still not treated the same as the other sports. We were supposed to get a championship banner in the gym to go along with the ones for all the other teams, but we never saw it and I'm not sure they ever got one for that year.

Mark

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 03/31/08 11:45 AM

In HS, we had a regular league that we had to walk to, about 2 miles. But, our travel teams were treated just like any other team. School bus would drive to our destination, and bring us back to school. The bowlers had their option of taking public transportation home from the lanes.

But, that was in Chicago. Don't know what happens in the burbs.
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 03/31/08 12:12 PM

Just to chime in in this thread, Massachusetts is also a state with no high school bowling at any level. The only thing available for high school-age bowlers here are the junior leagues (including a travel league, I think) at the various houses, plus the occasional junior tournaments.
Posted by: Brandon510

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 03/31/08 04:35 PM

California we also didnt any high school bowling. I would love to bowl in high school for my school but there want any team or clubs. So i bowled junior leagues in high school for bowling at the local center.
Posted by: Brian Longo

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 04/01/08 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Timotheus
My school recognizes bowling as a varsity sport, and in fact almost every high school around here has a varsity and JV bowling team.

Mine did as well. In fact, in our section (Section IV - Southern Tier), we had about 20 schools with bowling teams in two different conferences; STAC (Southern Tier Athletic Association) had 11 teams who fielded Varsity and JV boys and girls teams and the Susquenango association had 9 teams - all from small schools who at least had enough bowlers to field a Varsity boys and girls team. New York will always have a state-wide school bowling program.

As for North Carolina and Georgia (where I live now and where I used to live), high school bowling will probably be a local club deal. Maybe, if bowling "infiltrates" the youth better, I can foresee North Carolina becoming a Varsity sport state. All Georgia has, really, is Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, and Macon/Warner-Robbins as far as decent-sized areas. NW Georgia has a decent bowling following, too, but the state is otherwise too sparsely populated to make it a Varsity sport, I'm afraid.
Posted by: Atomic

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams - 04/03/08 01:25 AM

geez.. lettering in bowling??

im lucky my school had teachers that spoke whole sentences... some of them anyway..
a bowling team?? man what kind of luxury would that have been :P lol
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 04/03/08 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Atomic
geez.. lettering in bowling??

im lucky my school had teachers that spoke whole sentences... some of them anyway..
a bowling team?? man what kind of luxury would that have been :P lol

You were lucky to have teachers. We had to learn by reading the side a box. A small box at that.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 04/03/08 05:04 PM

You were lucky to have boxes. We had to cut down trees, process them into pulp, and create our own cardboard, and then fold it into a box. And then, after that, we had to plant 3 new trees to take the place of that one.

Oh, and the place where the trees grew was uphill. Both ways. 5 miles.
Posted by: Atomic

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 04/03/08 05:54 PM

you were lucky to have hills. we had to make our own hills just so that we COULD walk to school up hill both ways on our hands with our little brothers on our backs.. in fact, we were lucky to even eat. we didnt even have food either. we had to eat dirt.. and we were happy for that dirt.

you kids today dont know how good you have it.

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 04/06/08 10:53 AM

Dirt? You were lucky to eat dirt!
When we got home we had to suck on lump of dry poison.
But you know, we were happy, even though we were poor.

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 04/06/08 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Atomic
you were lucky to have hills. we had to make our own hills just so that we COULD walk to school up hill both ways on our hands with our little brothers on our backs.. in fact, we were lucky to even eat. we didnt even have food either. we had to eat dirt.. and we were happy for that dirt.

you kids today dont know how good you have it.

Well, this is going on beyond the unbelievable. But, I will say the closest thing we had in Chicago that resembled a HILL, was the curb on the side of the street.
And, yes, the streets were paved, and the teachers spoke in sentences, taught us the 3-r's, We didn't eat boxes or dirt.

I guess I was just privileged. I had shoes too. And, separate ones for bowling.

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 04/06/08 11:08 PM

Of course, none of us can take any real credit...

Posted by: JaredB

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 06/24/08 10:20 AM

I recently graduated from high school in Tulsa, OK. We had over 2000 students and rough estimate 300 knew about the bowling team, 8 were on it. I wasn't though, because I work at the house they use and disn't have enough time to practice and such. They had some OK results, but at my school you have to win something big to be noticed. Golf made state, Rugby is 2x state champs, tennis lost in finals, etc...but bowling? What do you mean bowling? I think one of the best things to do is make T-shirts and have the team wear them maybe once a week, it got a lot of attention at my school. I would always wear my AMF shirt on days the team wore their shirts
Posted by: Wickette

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 06/29/08 03:50 PM

My high school has been pretty supportive of our bowling team, they provide transportation to our matches and practices if someone needs it. My school seemed more supportive than our coach, who didn't know how to bowl and showed up for practices and matches so he could get paid. He just quit coaching the bowling team, so hopefully we can find another one for next season.
Posted by: Justinmill14

Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowlin - 07/29/08 02:26 PM

my school doesnt really care about our bowling team =( i mean they provide transportation but thats about it. It kinda sucks, and most the ppl on the team dont really care that much about bowling, im the only person on the team that practices regularly, everyone else has only been bowling about once or twice this summer