Finding Sponsorship.

Posted by: mikeyyy44805

Finding Sponsorship. - 04/16/09 10:09 PM

I would love to bowl in the youth masters tournament, in dayton ohio, on May 9, 2009. 3 days before my birthday! The problem is, I cant afford it, because I dont have a job. If anyone would like to sponsor me I would be so appriciative! Thanks to anyone and everyone. I have called around and local business' wont sponsor because they have used all "sponsor" money. either that or they have another excuse. frown

http://www.capribowlinglanes.com/index.p...8&Itemid=15

Bottom of page is all the tourney info. smile
Posted by: 4StepShaun

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/16/09 11:56 PM

Only if you sponsor my car. Gas prices are still killing me.
Posted by: Mattdean76

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 01:09 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what about your parents? Maybe they could help you out? Or some friends you could do some favors for in exchange? Maybe you can cut some lawns?
Posted by: Shale

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 03:16 AM

Well you definitely have Initiative with a capital I, but making a ton of posts in various forums asking for handouts all at once (ball, sponsor, etc) might be a bit overkill.

If you posted a informative thread about yourself, your bowling, how you are progressing, and then added at the end about everything you might receive a more even/informed response.

best of luck
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 04:35 AM

Go to league nights and see who is sponsoring the teams. Restaurants, local businesses, and Insurance cos. may come up with an additional few bucks if they see their name is being recognized at the lanes. You may get $10 from 10 companies rather that 1 business for $100.
Posted by: Jock

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 06:04 AM

You want to bowl in a SCRATCH tourney with a 150 average and you want someone to sponsor you????

That's not called sponsoring, that's called a gift!

Sponsors will want you to be able to show their name around and get something for their money.

Although this tourney might be an interesting experience for you you will disappear too fast to make it worth a sponsors while to invest in you.

Maybe you could do what Erin suggested in the other post, try to find a part time job.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 03:17 PM

Yeah, I am working on it. Lol.. .Like I said, with the town I live in and no car it makes it hard. Lol..

And I could get half from my grandma, I dont talk to my mom or dad, they left me. frown And My aunt would give me 10, but that still leaves some..

I just think it would be cool to expirience this tourney!
Posted by: leftykev

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 04:02 PM

Well, don't worry too much about it because there are LOTS of bowlers that wish that could bowl tournaments because they lack the funds, for whatever reason. They just don't bowl.

And, don't worry, there will always be another bowling tournament.

I believe you want to bowl a tournament, but I question your choice to post your request for funds on here, because of all the internet scams floating around, because there is no real way to verify the legitimacy of your request, and if you will really bowl the tournament if you get the money.

Sorry, but we all have to treats posts like this with a dose of reality.
Posted by: bowlerchic1

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 05:11 PM

Have you checked with your bowling alley? If you have a relationship with them, they may be willing to help you out depending on their situation, and their confidence in you as a bowler.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 08:35 PM

I agree. But I was just asking, its not a big deal, just thought I might find a couple people willing to help thats all...
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 09:02 PM

Ask your local pro shop if there's a way for you to WORK off the entry fee.

Erin

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 09:31 PM

Well, Since I just started I really dont think they would. But I can always ask. Lol... I realllllyyy want to go though just for expirience. It would be cool. Lol

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/17/09 11:52 PM

Put it to them as you have us. You want the experience. You might not be competative now, but are willing to work off the entry fee doing whatever you can in the shop.

Erin

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/18/09 12:09 AM

Yeah, Im going to ask them! Lol. But I didnt expect anyone to donate, just thought I could ask. Lol.. But thanks for the advice! smile

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/18/09 12:57 AM

I just heard of an opportunity today. Our House has a proshop in it and over the years, they have put extra or unwanted balls down in the basement. The House is looking for someone to carry them up and throw them in the dumpster. They have a sign for $10 an hour to carry balls up. Ours estimates they have over 400 balls down there.

Maybe yours has something similar.

You can't carry more than 3 balls at a time. Up the stairs, about 50 feet to the doorway, and halfway back in the lot to the dumpster. Then walk back. I figure 7 minutes per roundtrip, or 24 balls per hour. That's over 16 hours. That pays the freight.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/18/09 11:44 AM

wow, cool. maybe you could possibly find a few good balls! lol. that would be cool.... and my bowling ally doesnt have a pro shop... frown and its only 10 lanes, but i go 3 times a week.... i live in a small town....
Posted by: Shale

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/18/09 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I just heard of an opportunity today. Our House has a proshop in it and over the years, they have put extra or unwanted balls down in the basement. The House is looking for someone to carry them up and throw them in the dumpster. They have a sign for $10 an hour to carry balls up. Ours estimates they have over 400 balls down there.

You can't carry more than 3 balls at a time. Up the stairs, about 50 feet to the doorway, and halfway back in the lot to the dumpster. Then walk back. I figure 7 minutes per roundtrip, or 24 balls per hour. That's over 16 hours. That pays the freight.

Hrm, Im trying to think what I would do with 400 old balls :P im going to be down that way in a few days in my van heh.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/18/09 01:50 PM

Lol, yeah, im sure you could sell these on like craigs list for 10$ or something! lol.. or ebay for cheao but its something!
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/18/09 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Shale
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

Hrm, Im trying to think what I would do with 400 old balls :P im going to be down that way in a few days in my van heh.

A neighbor of mine when I was a kid used to give old bowling balls to his pigs. They would nose them around their stalls.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/18/09 10:22 PM

lol.. thats wierd! haha.. but funny. wink

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/18/09 10:46 PM

I know somebody who uses them for landscaping. You certainly can't 'recycle' bowling balls that I am aware ofm so being used as an interesting stone sure beats sitting in a landfill.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/18/09 11:32 PM

true. smile thats nice.. but i just noticed this is my sponsorship thread. lol.. this got WAYYYYY off track. haaha
Posted by: larry m

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/19/09 12:09 PM

ball reviews.com a guy has a choice of 2 different 14 lbers $40 shipped
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/19/09 02:00 PM

Mikey, this site tends to have ADD, HADD and several other acronyms that causes one thread to jump around through dozens of different topics.

I remember one that I believe was lost in the Server Crash of 08, where it somehow got steered from bowling related to pink cooking aprons. Of course in the same crash some very good threads that stayed on topic was lost as well.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/19/09 03:58 PM

Cal, I remember that thread. We were talking about ball finishing with sandpaper, abralon or Scotch Brite pads. Lefty brought up that there are abralon pads on mittens, like oven mits, that led to other items and ened up with aprons in pink.

It didn't go off topic. It was a logical extrapolation of the original tought.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/19/09 04:10 PM

Ok maybe that one stayed on topic, kind of, but there have been many others that went completely off track, and then somehow ended up back on the original topic. It's the nature of the site.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/19/09 08:00 PM

So... We need to sponsor pigs with our old bowling balls?

*attempting to bring it back around*

Honestly though, if anyone has experience with getting sponsorship into tourneys (and not just from a rich uncle), etc, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/19/09 09:24 PM

This was posted on an older thread. The days of sponsorship were much better in the 60's/70's. First, any bowler who aspired to go pro had to have his bowling averages validated by the House they bowled in. There was no automated statistical accumulation of averages in USBC nor ABC back then. The house urged the better bowlers to join because the house received prestige by having a traveling team, that was sponsored by the house. The house usually paid for all fees, even individual tournaments, because the House name was almost synonymous with the bowler. You were always John Doe of ABC Lanes.

Also, there were many local businesses who contributed to a House fund that paid for bowler expenses. Even the local Auto dealer would give the team or certain bowlers a service loaner car with their name proudly printed on the door for use in travel to tourneys. Tourneys in the Chicago area were usually reachable within a few hours.

Team sponsorships were the responsibility of the House or the league. On rare occasions, a bowler would have their own team sponsor. But there were usually waiting lists of sponsors with the house. That was a primary method of advertising locally. Not only on the shirts, but hanging on boards over the lanes or prominently displayed somewhere in the house. Advertisers were displayed for a year, and assigned to a team.

Should a local bowler choose to bowl in a tournament, regionally, where overnight travel was required, it was not uncommon to have a donation box in the bar, or the house would run a raffle to raise funds.

But, those were the days of more private owners of lanes. They were also the trainers, coaches, and organizers of the House team.

I was young, but I remember our house ran Friday night poker games in the basement, and took a cut of every pot to support the bowlers from that particular house.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/19/09 10:06 PM

that would be cool! haha, i should try to set somethin up.. or just play poker and win. lol. but im 17, so prolly not allowed.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/20/09 12:19 AM

Dennis, it's all AMF's fault!! They are the downfall of all bowling!!

Actually sarcasm aside, I do believe that.

I am proud to bowl in a privately-owned house!! Though their bartender and lane oil machine suck.. at least not AMF-owned!!!

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/20/09 05:36 AM

Quote:
Dennis, it's all AMF's fault!! They are the downfall of all bowling!!

Actually sarcasm aside, I do believe that.

Me Too!! but at least the doors are open for some form of bowling.

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/20/09 06:51 PM

On the topic of AMF, I just recently found out that the worst AMF in my area is starting to upgrade some, mainly new machines. I heard it was pinsetters since part of this house is getting changed over to duckpin. This center lost a lot of bowlers last season. I don't think they are doing anything about the horrible inconsistent lane conditions and lane machine that often didn't work right.
Posted by: Domokun

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/20/09 07:42 PM

We sorta share a similar area, Cal. Which [censored] AMF house are you mentioning? Your describing nearly all of them in NoVA--except for the overgrown-skeeball duckpin stuff.

I mean, is there really, actually, for real-real a good AMF house?

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/20/09 08:28 PM

AMF Dundalk is the one I'm referring too. Only reason I think it's still open is the Greater Baltimore Bowling Association has it's office there. It's arguably the wors one around me with Woodlawn a close second. The only one I know of that was even more terrible was closed down a few years ago.

Country Club Lanes is a pretty good AMF house. I guess it helps to be a decent one when trying to keep the PBA Tour coming back. It's about the only one they try to keep a real bowler much less a bowler at as as manager.
Posted by: Domokun

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/21/09 09:28 AM

I'd be happy to give you a quick, rat-infested tour of AMF Annandale, aka Crappandale. Supposed to have been demolished and replaced with condos, but that didn't turn out so we're stuck with this crap house that's doing everything but giving away free cars and teevees to get the leagues back.

However, if John Waters ever did his own bowling movie, I'm sure he'd film it in Dundalk. And I'd be right there for opening night.
Posted by: bowlerchic1

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/22/09 01:07 PM

Hi Mike

I'm bowling in the usbc queens in reno this weekend, and I;ve had the same problem as you. So I decided to make a list of friends, coaches, the bowling alley, relatives and I asked them all if they could help, even if just $20 bucks. I have a whole list of people willing to chip in what they can,and it's added up to help alot. Most people are willing to help if they can, so give it a try! Good Luck

Re: Finding Sponsorship. - 04/25/09 04:52 PM

thank you chic.

i guess im gonna have to try that. wink