Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow.

Posted by: Justinmill14

Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/19/09 06:03 PM

I am leaving for the youth pepsi tournament tomorrow and I bowl on saturday. I am bowling in the scratch division and I was just wondering if anybody knew what type of series I will probably need to shoot to make the first cut that goes down to 24? I looked for the past scores for the years before just to get an idea but could never find them. It also might help if I tell you that I am bowling in Tennessee. Thanks,
Posted by: Jay R.

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/19/09 07:41 PM

Can't really say. The best way to gauge what you will have to shoot to make the cut is look at how others are doing. I bet they don't use the same pattern every year so scores probably fluctuate anyways.

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/19/09 08:03 PM

Oh alright thanks, so do they use sport shots? I thought that they might use house but I've never went to a pepsi tournament so wouldn't really know.
Posted by: Jay R.

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/19/09 08:36 PM

Mine have always been sport shot or at least modified house shot. Even in the sectional tournament, which I assume is what you're doing.

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/19/09 10:17 PM

Alright, are sport shots usually just as hard as pba?
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/19/09 10:37 PM

Technically, PBA shots are Sport Shots because they have to comply to the 3/1 ratio of oil in the middle to the outside. The main difference is the length of oil down the lane and the volume of oil used. You should be able to figure the shot in the first few balls. Then, watch as it moves. Don't be afraid to move with it. Watch what other's balls are doing to get a heads up.

Good luck!
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/20/09 06:09 AM

Sport shots aren't always hard. Some of them are almost as easy as a THS and many of them are harder than the PBA shots.

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/20/09 09:31 AM

Alright I appreciate it guys, I am getting ready to leave here in about 1/2 hour, hopefully I can come back with good scores!
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/20/09 02:06 PM

And remember, every frame is the most important frame. Don't take spares lightly, don't think ahead and don't worry about mistakes that are already done. Just throw the most important frame each time you get up on the approach, the one at hand. You never know what that pin count will do for you in the total standings.

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/22/09 09:15 PM

Just got home from Pepsi, I don't know what it is but I always get to comfortable after I bowl a good game. For the first round we bowled on house, I shot 206, 256, 159 thumbsdown -621. The cut went to 24 and I was in 13th. This morning we bowled on the chamelon, I shot 238, 127 brickwall, 198. The cut then went to six and I finished in 8th. I don't know why I always have a terrible game after a good game. I have got to get over it!
Posted by: 4StepShaun

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/23/09 06:14 AM

A few tips.

Don't get too excited at the end of a good game. Appreciate individual shots, not total pins.

Completely ignore your score. Know what frame it is and what lane you're on and that's it. Try your hardest at each shot and only think/concentrate about that shot. Don't think about the mistake you made last frame or even the first shot in that frame if you got a bad break or threw a bad ball. Don't think about what your score will be if you strike out or what game you need to get the 600, 700. etc. Put all your concentration into the shot that you need to do right then.

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/23/09 11:59 AM

Alright thanks, I try my best to not pay attention to the score, I usually don't start looking until around the 8th frame. I guess maybe I should wait til the game is over.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/23/09 06:14 PM

I'll agree with Shaun on that, you start to get excited after putting up that good number.

Re: Headin out for Pepsi tournament tomorrow. - 03/23/09 10:42 PM

I think that it is that, I used to think that it was just the second game, but in the first round the second game was my best. I guess usually it was my second game because I would have such a good first game. I just HAVE to remember to stay on TOP of my game and keep attacking and not sit back and think the pins will do it for me. (although it would be nice if they did but whats the fun in that? lol)