USBC Open

Posted by: Todd

USBC Open - 01/18/09 12:48 PM

So anyone got plans for the trip this year? My team..."Split Happens" is going in March....18/19, we got some [censored] slots, 8:30pm for team and 11:30om s/d.

This will be our third year and hoping to improve again this year. Any tips or suggestions on preperation/types of balls to bring..(especially since it cost a arm and a leg to bring on plane)

thanks
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: USBC Open - 01/18/09 12:57 PM

Fly Southwest, still no fees. And, you are allowed 2 booked luggages, max 50# each. My 4-bag roller is 43# for the top with 2 balls and shoes. While the lower section is 46# including the frame and roller mechanism.

Or, if you can be without your balls for a week, ship them. The link for preferred costs is on the National USBC Website.

Re: USBC Open - 01/18/09 10:19 PM

yeah sw is freaking out of this world expensive from BWI...........700 plus for me and the wife....looks like NW for me.
Posted by: uniqueblinds

Re: USBC Open - 01/18/09 11:47 PM

check on orbitz. airfare and new york new york. $420 a person for 3/21-3/25.

Re: USBC Open - 01/19/09 12:05 AM

Todd, many travel agencies can arrange air/hotel to Vegas for reasonable combo prices. Just a thought.

Otherwise, pay $50 for your balls to be shipped and fly United from BWI, 1 stop for $253, vs Northwest, 1 stop for $350.
Posted by: jaws1945

Re: USBC Open - 01/19/09 09:30 AM

Our group is bowling Mar.6,7. We have a deal at the sahara where it will cost each person about $100 apiece and airfare of $273 from MSP
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: USBC Open - 01/20/09 10:35 AM

We bowl every Memorial Day weekend. I will be heading out there on May 22nd and heading home on the 26th. I fly SW so I never worry about my bowling balls. I take 4 with me. I carry on my clothes and my laptop.

Bowling Ball express seemed a little steep to me. I think that when I priced it out a few years ago, it was over $100 each way for all 4 of my balls. Then, I would have to use my bowling bags as luggage anyway because they ship them in bowling ball boxes (unless you have the tote bags). I am contemplating getting another ball before Nationals. If I do, I will take 6 with me. I am still up in the air on it though.

For equipment, you need a few balls.

1) Sanded ball. Like 320 or 500. This will help you burn a spot for you on the lane.

2) Strong pearl. Something that has a good backend to it and can cut through some oil.

3) A little weaker pearl. For when the lanes start to break down.

4) Spare ball. A must for Nationals. I highly recommend no hooking at spares.

I am sure that Jim will have a little more detail on equipment to take. That is what I take.

Re: USBC Open - 01/20/09 08:19 PM

sorry for the ignorance but when you say sanded 320 or 500 are you talking about getting the ball sanded with that type of paper? I have a twisted fury a storm and a plastic..so i guess i will take all 3??

Re: USBC Open - 01/20/09 08:21 PM

Todd, yes, 320 and 500 refer to the grit of the paper the ball is sanded with.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 08:02 AM

More common than sandpaper is using abralon pads or scotchbrite pads.

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 08:10 AM

That's strange. I have 5 proshops in reasonable distance. And, none of them use Abralon. It's just too expensive. Scotchbrite type pads are sold over the counter, but not used in the back room.

All ball touchup and refinishing is done wet sanded. That's what I see, anyhow.

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 08:24 AM

All the pro shops I've been to here have used Abralon pads.

Your pro shops stock 4000 grit sandpaper?

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 08:29 AM

Don't know, never used it. But, the one I mainly use has a slotted wrack, like pigeon holes, and specific grits of paper in each. It starts at 180 on the low end. But, I have never gone past 1200, and there are a few more pigeon holes below that.

I'll check the next time I am in there. Maybe get a photo too.

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 09:32 AM

My guy uses Abralon pads. But, they get worn really easy. Scotch bright pads are much mroe durable. I think that as long as you use water when you are resurfacing, you should be okay. I want to get a few abralon pads to put in my bag for touch up jobs before I bowl. This past year, one of the guys had a 500 pad in his bag and we all hit our equipment with it before the team event.

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 03:20 PM

thanks...sounds like a trip to Wal-mart for some Scotchbrite pads and some H2O and i am good to go. thanks for the feedback.

or i will just take to pro shop and have them sand it up!!!!!

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 05:35 PM

i think they are talking about 320 or 500 on a ball to throw in practice so you have some friction. we call those charcoal balls. they help to build a break point down the lane to throw at. we usually do it with an old urethane ball.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 06:36 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding the prize goes to unigueblinds. The thing is with that approach you need the whole team or even better both teams on the pair to all be work on it, but you want a ball that absorbs the oil. If every one is doing it in a different spot it doesn't work too well, at least not at Nationals.

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 09:12 PM

got it....we have 4 on our team that are right handed my dad is left handed......will maybe work that approach.......sand the heck out a urethene ball then go get em. thanks
Posted by: PSBA10

Re: USBC Open - 01/21/09 11:37 PM

I'm kind of surprised that you were successful doing that with a urethane ball. From memory, urethane did not soak up the oil. The last urethane ball I threw came back with large oil rings that had to be cleaned off. This would suggest drastic oil movement and carrydown. I would think a resin ball that is known for oil absorbtion would work much better. If the surface was 500 or 320 it would act as a sponge thus creating a wall without the drastic carrydown, and could be done with much fewer shots.
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: USBC Open - 01/22/09 06:55 AM

Resin balls work best for opening a line, urethane doesn't absorb oil, I wouldn't even bring a urethane ball to the nats as they push the oil down the lane and ruin everyone's shot including the people after you.

Sand paper or scotch brite is fine for the bulk of the work, then finish the ball off with abralon gives a more uniform finish.

Edit: also use a spinner, don't sit with the ball in your lap and think for a second you are going to do anything other than mess up the surface of your ball.

Re: USBC Open - 01/22/09 08:35 AM

All of this also has to be done before the ball is checked in for that squad. If you try to change the surface in the squad room, which would mean by hand anyways, you are suppose to take it back to get check in again.

Re: USBC Open - 01/22/09 09:22 AM

To add what Jim said. I have my stuff done with a spinner. If I need a "touch up", I will do it by hand. Not very hard and not for very long.

Re: USBC Open - 01/22/09 08:32 PM

So Jim, what would be your suggestion of spare ball to bring if i dont take my Budwiser ball........I do have a older ball that does not hook as much, guess i could bring that out of the attic sand it up and take it...(better practice first though???) thanks for all your assistance

i guess my real question is...whats the difference between a urethene ball and a plastic ball??

Re: USBC Open - 01/23/09 08:38 PM

Grip, a urethane ball has better grip, and depending on the ball a real core.

Re: USBC Open - 01/23/09 11:10 PM

so infernocal, where in MD are you? I just moved to Severna Park.....bowl Mon nights Severna Park Lanes and also times at Greenbelt for fun

Re: USBC Open - 01/23/09 11:43 PM

At Nationals your spare shooting ability is extreemely important. If you can make any pin on the deck with your Budweiser ball, by all means take it with you. The more confident you are in your spare game the better you will score. Don't take chances with spares.

Re: USBC Open - 01/24/09 09:14 AM

I'm up just east of Baltimore in the Essex area. Right now I'm just bowling a Saturday League at Perry Hall.

Re: USBC Open - 01/24/09 12:15 PM

thanks for the advice, the first year i went had LOTS of issues with spare's and my scores showed it. last year took my spare ball and increased total pins by over 80, for series. thanks bud ball it is.

Re: USBC Open - 01/24/09 12:17 PM

very nice, so we are pretty close. Very soon Greenway should be putting down the National oil pattern. although the lane surface is not the same, gives a good indication of conditions i would think.

Re: USBC Open - 01/24/09 01:37 PM

I've heard when Greenway puts down the National pattern it gives on a good idea of how it could be. I've never went to National nor bowled Greenway when they have it down. I've only rolled at Greenway a couple of times, normally mid day during the week when I've worked close to it and knew I would be getting off early.

Re: USBC Open - 01/24/09 07:31 PM

I practiced at greenway to get ready for nationals, and did pretty well. The only difference is the lanes at greenway are amfs which are softer than the brunswicks they use at the nationals. This means that the ball will hook more and be more rolly, where the brunswicks will tend to be more skid flippy.

It still helped me bowl better at the nationals, especially with spare shooting.

Re: USBC Open - 01/24/09 09:40 PM

normally they put the shot down sunday mornings, 1.00 a game......holler sometime and we can go throw a few, as soon as they put it down i will le tyou know

Re: USBC Open - 01/24/09 09:44 PM

so how about some time, you come up and bowl, i pick up the lane chareges and you give me some tips????

Re: USBC Open - 01/24/09 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd
so how about some time, you come up and bowl, i pick up the lane chareges and you give me some tips????

If this is directed to the Coach unfortunately he isn't able to bowl due to an injury a little over a year ago but we are glad he is still active in coaching and on this site. I plan on setting some time up with him soon myself.

As for the offer to get together and throw a few, I just might take you up on that offer when they put the pattern out. I've contemplated it the past couple years since I've heard they do it. I know also during the summer they put out the PBA patterns for their PBA league to practice on.
Posted by: Silent Mike

Re: USBC Open - 01/24/09 11:53 PM

I'm 90% certain I'm making my first trip July 2-3. I was asked to join a team from my local lanes. I've been wanting to do this forever and it looks like it'll be this year as long as I can dance around work and the holiday weekend.

I have some experience on the PBA patterns but that was only for a Summer and that's about it for sport patterns. Can someone describe the shot? Length of oil? Flat patterns I assume? How do they break down? Is straighter greater? I'm looking forward to it, it should be fun and a good learning experience.

Re: USBC Open - 01/26/09 10:12 AM

Mike: Some people can play basically straight up 5 with a ball that has surface during practice. I was out there when Team Tilt was bowling and they were all deep inside though. The ones who score the best start deep and get deeper. Unless you have a ton of hand, starting the ball inside and getting outside of 9 is trouble. I normally start in around 17/18 out to about 10-12. There, straighter is greater. Keep yourself out of trouble. D/S, your deeper and you will only have a couple of shots of practice. We normally get the 11:30pm D/S squad on Memorial Day. Sometimes, we get lucky and are near the end of the alley and our lanes are fresh. Has happened a few times.

The oil pattern is being released on Feb. 15th.

http://www.bowl.com/tournaments/usbcopen/National/laneconditions.aspx

Re: USBC Open - 01/26/09 08:44 PM

we are 8:30pm team on the 18th and 11:30PM on the 19th

Re: USBC Open - 01/26/09 09:16 PM

It's official. I'll be there for sure as I have the days off of work already. I should be there July 1st-5th (Weds-Sun) and bowling on Thurs and Friday. I was reading there are some other tourneys in the area. I plan on getting what I can get into but still leave a little time to enjoy being out of PA. I'm hoping the guy running the team event can lay down a similar shot to give us an idea of whats out there.

Even on a THS equipment means a lot. I can't get over how weak all my old equipment is compared to new stuff. I'll make sure I bring stuff I trust for the trip. How many bowling balls do you normally bring? I'd like to bring 2 double ball bags if at all possible. It doesn't sound like a single strike ball and a plastic will cover it?

Re: USBC Open - 01/26/09 09:27 PM

Two double ball bags is a good idea. I'm sure you've read CoachJim's post about the types of balls needed and I've heard similar things from multiple sources. There are always several side events going on around Nationals, last year one was even ran on several pairs on one end of the National Bowling Stadium. Good luck Mike, I hope to one day be able to bowl Nationals and often.

Re: USBC Open - 01/27/09 06:46 AM

Quote:

I wish I could believe me, but like Cal said I can't bowl anymore.

I am available for coaching, if you want we could put a group together, I will give you a good rate, just let me know.

As far as tips go the best one I will give you is just let the ball roll off your hand, keep your wrist in position and don't lift with the fingers. Finger lift = severe over/under at the break point, so be nice to the ball at the release and it will be nice to you.

Re: USBC Open - 01/27/09 07:44 AM

Mike, last year, they had I think, 8 extra lanes set aside, and bowlers could wager to bowl on PBA type shots. Payouts were every 50 bowlers if I remember correctly. Then, there is the 40 frame game. 1 game, 40 frames long at another House.

If no one told you, there is wagering in brackets too. High games, randomly selected head to head bowling, and the like. $5 for this, $10 for that one, reentry second chance another $5, and before you know it, it's $100. Don't remember all of them. This the real attraction to many bowlers. And, where they make their money.

Here is a link.

http://www.bowl.com/tournaments/usbcopen/national/sideevents.aspx

Re: USBC Open - 01/27/09 10:07 AM

There is also the Bowler's Journal tourney and the 40 frame game. The only one that I would like to do is the 40 frame game. Each frame is something different. One frame, you may need 8 for a strike, next frame a strike is worth 30 pins. Looks fun.

As for equipment, 4 is the minimum I would take. I am taking my Paradigm, Special Agent, Cell, and my spare ball. I'd like to replace my Paradigm with a T-Road Pearl by then but I doubt it will happen. I would like to be able to take 5 though. 2 solids and 2 pearls and my spare ball. The other ball would be my X-Factor. Basically a stronger pearl and a weaker pearl. The weaker pearl for singles when the lanes are drying out. I can play with my Paradigm but I'd like to be able to play a similar line the whole time instead of moving further left. I can play 5th arrow but I would rather stay closer to the middle.
Posted by: LinNevada

Re: USBC Open - 02/01/09 12:40 PM

There are 4 tournaments that I know of during the USBC

Bowlers Journal at Gold Coast

Forty Frame Game at Sam's Town

Bowing This Month at Silver Nuggett

Ebonite Beat the Board at Orleans

Re: USBC Open - 02/01/09 03:51 PM

Thanks for the info all. I'm definitely psyched about being a part of it. If all goes well I'd like to do it each year as for now the rates are reasonable and the experience will be invaluable. I could use some down time and a tan too.

Re: USBC Open - 02/05/09 08:41 PM

getting excited going to Hanover PA sunday to bowl in a tourney!!!!!!!! got the flights figured out and free rooms at ceasers!!!

Re: USBC Open - 02/05/09 11:17 PM

Hey, I guess the bowling is off the strip by a few miles. It would be good if your hotel had a transport service to and from the Bowling Center.

Just a thought.

Re: USBC Open - 02/06/09 08:52 AM

ahhh my friend...my wife (the shopper in the family) got us a rent car for $20 a day.....now its not a caddi but we are in vegas...need to get from point a to point b...... most likly will be another PT Crusier like we had last time!!!!!!!

Re: USBC Open - 02/06/09 10:11 AM

Having a rental car is very nice (or at least people with a car). As much as I didn't like bowling Knoxville in 2003, having my car then was great. I had an X-Terra at the time. 4 of us piled and and made the trek. We had 16 bowling balls and all of our luggage in the back. Needless to say it was piled to the ceiling. If I stopped too fast bags would fly into the back seat.

Being able to move around in a city is very nice though. In NM this past year, it was great that we had the rental cause we could go anywhere we wanted. When it isn't your car, it can be a pain. You have to go where and when others want to go. In 2006 in Corpus Christi, we had friends who had a passenger van. We had to go everywhere with them or stay in the town house we rented. It got old real quick.

Vegas is a town I don't know if you would need a rental unless you plan on going outside of the city. Taxis are everywhere and I would think that the hotels will have shuttles.

Re: USBC Open - 02/06/09 10:30 AM

Corpus, I had a car since I flew to San Antonio and drove the difference. It did halp in a town without public transportation. Albuquerque, I stayed at the Hilton, and they shuttled me all over, at any time. Public transportation was pretty good too.

I have never been to Vegas, but thinking to stay on the strip, and look for shuttles.

Played golf in Albuquerque early am on an extra day. A little dew on the greens. The first hole green, I see a wavey line from the cup to the fringe. I asked another what that could be. He said a snake. I couldn't tell if it went toward the hole or away from it. I wouldn't reach my hand in to get my ball out of the hole.

Re: USBC Open - 02/06/09 12:52 PM

I am staying at the Sahara. It is at the north end of the strip, and the first stop on the monorail line. $13 for a 24 hour pass and you can go up and down the strip as much as you want. It makes 6 stops and they run every 6 or 7 minutes.
The Sahara is about 3 miles from Cashman Center. They don't have a shuttle, but offer 20% off car rental through Dollar. Otherwise it's a short cab ride. I posted something last month about their bowlers special on one of the forums.

Re: USBC Open - 02/06/09 01:25 PM

We are staying at the Marriot by the MGM. Hotel points from a buddy's dad so hotel is $0.00 grin If I have to pay a few bucks a day for a taxi, oh well.

Re: USBC Open - 02/06/09 01:46 PM

I wish I had your deal. Nothing beats free......................

Re: USBC Open - 02/06/09 04:54 PM

Evidently other guys I am going with are staying at Ballys. pay for 1 night, get 3 free. $100 for the 4 nights.

Re: USBC Open - 02/06/09 09:40 PM

ceasers is too far to the cashman plus i am playing in 2 Texas holdem at the Rio. its cheap, they dont charge for parking and will be able to run mom and dad around town as they have never been!!!!! plus 5 nights free is ok with me!!!

Re: USBC Open - 02/07/09 01:29 AM

Free at Ceasars
Pay for 1 get 3 more at Bally's
Marriott points for free room.

There is something there for me.

Re: USBC Open - 02/07/09 10:30 AM

I say get the best deal you can that works for you. With business being off affected by the state of the economy, there are deals out there. Casinos are starting to fall all over themselves to get customers. My goal was to find a place that was fairly close to the Cashman Center and still easy access to other places on the strip and downtown. Cab fares can get expensive. I also like the lower stakes tables.

Re: USBC Open - 02/07/09 11:16 PM

Free is good

Harrahs owns is Ballys???? and we could stay there for free as well!!!!! I say Ceasers over Ballys
have fun and good luck

Re: USBC Open - 02/16/09 01:59 AM

leave march 21st and come back on the 25th. $450 hotel and airfare at new york new york. i am just trying to figure out whats balls to take. i have a cell, cell pearl, emerald vibe, hy road, virtual gravity, up rising, black widow, vapor zone, play maker and a spare ball. which 5 performance should i take? i'll also probably buy the new cell by then.

Re: USBC Open - 02/16/09 09:40 AM

It all depends on how you have your equipment drilled and the surfaces on them. The only equipment I really know is Storm/Roto so I know where I would point you. There is going to be oil. I like to take a couple of balls that are dull that can eat the oil and then a ball that I can roll that will give me some back end bite. I am only taking 4 (Cell, Special Agent, Hy-Road (coming soon), and my Spare ball. My Cell will be at at least 1000 abralon but probably 500 abralon. The Agent will be at 2000, and the Hy-Road at box or 4000 abralon (won't know until I get it). If I was taking 5, I would add my X-Factor. If I could take another ball, I would add a Cell with my exact drilling that I have on my current one but have it at 4000.

The main thing is that you need to make sure that you have a wide range of equipment with you.

Re: USBC Open - 02/16/09 09:54 AM

Pretty much agree with GP, although I don't know Storm. You do need a wide range of balls, but not much for medium or dry. Stay in the higher reactive line for heavier oil. Get one for length and another to read early. A dull ball helps too with your spare ball.

My ball for length will be at 1200 grit polished.
My early read will be at 600 grit.
My dull will be at 400 grit.

Last year, the oil pattern was readable on the back end, and pretty controllable. Getting through the oil was not a problem.
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: USBC Open - 02/19/09 03:08 PM

They posted the lane condition data for the tournament today. It's a 40 ft. pattern.

Lane condition details: http://tinyurl.com/c5o49m

Tape data: http://tinyurl.com/d5b2fu
Posted by: Dan300

Re: USBC Open - 02/19/09 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Richie V.
They posted the lane condition data for the tournament today. It's a 40 ft. pattern.

Lane condition details: http://tinyurl.com/c5o49m

Tape data: http://tinyurl.com/d5b2fu

Thanks for posting those.

Can someone explain what the tape data is?

Re: USBC Open - 02/19/09 10:03 PM

The tape data is based on the lane tapes that the USBC uses to certify the lanes. Atochabsh, who works for her local association and has had to work on the crews that certify bowling centers in her area, could probably better explain it. The first link in my post is of greater importance to most bowlers, however.

Re: USBC Open - 02/19/09 10:57 PM

The tape data shows the heaviest concentration of oil at various distances down the lane. It shows the oil is spread from 4 board to 4 board. The heaviest oil is at 8 ft, and lessens to 38 feet. These tapes are taken on each lane to prove that the oil laid down complies with the spread pattern.

Note: There are 50u of oil laid down. That's about double a House shot.

Pattern looks similar to last year. The back end was playable.

Re: USBC Open - 02/20/09 09:32 AM

Looks like fun grin
Posted by: patbofwi

Re: USBC Open - 02/24/09 02:39 AM

so i am bowling this shot in league and im goin to nationals in march any tips on where to play this shot for a guy who has medium revs last time i was taped i had 350 for my rev rate. if u could giv me a heads up i would appreciate it

Re: USBC Open - 02/24/09 05:11 AM

It depends a lot on your equipment, too. My shot was over 10 straight up with high reactive equipment that had a dulled cover. A little too much speed left you light. Then, the problem was crossing the center flood for spares. Saw lots of cherries and missed 7's, from the right.

Re: USBC Open - 02/26/09 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
It depends a lot on your equipment, too. My shot was over 10 straight up with high reactive equipment that had a dulled cover. A little too much speed left you light. Then, the problem was crossing the center flood for spares. Saw lots of cherries and missed 7's, from the right.

You hit on it. Spares are the key. depending on the squad time cross lane spares can be an adventure. Unfortunately I have the hell squads 8:30 and 11;30 pm

Re: USBC Open - 02/26/09 09:05 AM

Jaws:

I have those squads too. Not the best in the World. I really don't mind the 8:30pm team slot but the 11:30pm D/S really sucks. A nice mid-day nap is going to have to do it for me. My flight out is at 9:10 the next day. No sleep for me that night.

Re: USBC Open - 02/27/09 05:54 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15294&f=1

Dave Girell of Toledo, OH rolled the first 300 of the tournament on Wednesday night in his second game of singles.
Posted by: IronMaiden756

Re: USBC Open - 02/27/09 10:08 PM

I bowl April 1 and 2 and will bring my Special Agent, Rock Pearl and White Dot thumbsup The baggage fees scare me and bringing one less ball this year will cut down some confusion.

/adjusts Dunce Cap wink

Re: USBC Open - 03/02/09 05:03 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15305&f=4

Mark Wolford of West Liberty, OH picked the Open to bowl his first-ever 300 in his first game of team on Saturday night.

Re: USBC Open - 03/02/09 05:04 PM

I bet he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express!!!

Re: USBC Open - 03/06/09 08:47 AM

Found out from the manager they had the shot out on 1 and 2 last night, so I went over after league. Man, it's nice to be able to use the Cell. I was able to play anywhere from 1st to 4th arrow - best looks were straight up 7, or 4th arrow out to 12. The Avalanche had a nice look outside with a bit less speed too. Actually, all of my balls had a good look outside. Total was nice from inside as well. Very playable - just make good shots.

Re: USBC Open - 03/06/09 09:29 AM

Wow, you went straight up 7 with the Cell? I wonder if the VG can do the same thing? I know I could only get my Terminator outside of 10 when the lanes started to breakdown in the later games.

I'd like to practice on this shot. But our House has it down at 8 am on Sunday. Little too early. By the time I could get there, I am sure it would be broken down .

Re: USBC Open - 03/06/09 09:31 AM

Dennis:

When I was talking to Bill, he said to let him know when I wanted to go up there and he would put the shot out for us. When we go, I will let you know.

Re: USBC Open - 03/06/09 10:23 AM

It played pretty similar to the old Scorpion, from what I can remember.

Re: USBC Open - 03/06/09 10:53 AM

GP, don't you think the shot would play different on wooden lanes? Or not last as long?

Re: USBC Open - 03/06/09 11:07 AM

It will play different and not last as long. They have different shots programs into their machine. He said basically he could put something out tougher to make us throw better shots. Not as much miss area.

Re: USBC Open - 03/10/09 05:42 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15350&f=1

Jeff Voght of Canajoharie, NY, a first-time participant, shot the third 300 game of the tournament, which helped him post a 771 in singles (currently 4th in event) en route to taking the lead in Regular All-Events (he had scores of 618 in team and 726 in doubles).

Re: USBC Open - 03/11/09 10:40 AM

Just got back from the USBC in Vegas. They were tough, as usual. There was a shot straight up about 10 or 11, but there was definitely an out of bounds to the right of that. The carry was good, and as always corner pins were an interesting adventure. The 10 pin was a normal pickup, but the spares on the left were tricky with a late hook to them. The S & D they hooked more and by the end of doubles I had to switch to an inside line. By the 5th game they started hooking earlier and it was hard to stay off the nose.
At least we had a good time. We stayed at the Sahara and they treated us well.It was a quick 10 minute trip up Las vegas boulevard by cab. With 4 in the cab it was about $4 apiece tip included.

Re: USBC Open - 03/11/09 10:49 AM

Thanks for the info Jaws. I have seen people from time to time play outside. If you go straight up the boards, there is a line. If your ball has any amount of swing to it out there, your in trouble.

4 people in a cab? Was the truck bottoming out?

Re: USBC Open - 03/11/09 11:08 AM

LOL Only for the team event. There were plenty of lockers, so we kept our equipment there afterwards

Re: USBC Open - 03/11/09 11:15 AM

Good info Jaws. Like last year, straight up 10.
I bowl with a fellow who uses a severe inside line, outside 30. Last year, his first 4 balls went right into the channel. He had to move right, and this took him right out of his game.

No walled house shot here!!

Re: USBC Open - 03/13/09 05:58 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15364&f=1

Ron Nelson Jr. of Bridgeview, IL rolled the fourth 300 of the tournament in his second game of doubles on Wednesday, combining with games of 247 and 248 for a 797 (best set of tournament to date) to help take the Regular Doubles lead (with Bryan O'Keefe of Arlington, TX, who had a 671 set in the event). Ron Nelson Jr. also now leads Regular All-Events, and his team, Cambridge 1 out of Feeding Hills, MA, is now in the Team All-Events lead.

In other tournament news, Junior Team USA Support also took the Regular Team lead on Wednesday night.

Re: USBC Open - 03/14/09 05:28 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15373&f=1

The fifth 300 of the tournament in the third game of doubles helped Jason Guest of Urbandale, IA get a 743 series and move him and Scott Wohlwend of Moline, IL into second place in Regular Doubles yesterday.

Re: USBC Open - 03/14/09 10:43 PM

Ok ladies and Gents.....spent 4 hours at the pro shop today, it appears that the guy that drills my equipment is not that good, i have been having a hard time getting out of the ball, went to a new place where he re did everything, wow what a difference i am not gripping the ball so hard now, its resting nice in my hand...anyway going to Odenton tomorrow to throw on the pattern then off to Vegas Monday. I will report back next week.....

Papa needs a new pair of shows....Watch out Vegas here i come!!!!

Re: USBC Open - 03/15/09 06:28 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15375&f=1

55-year-old George Kontos of Joliet, IL rolled games of 256, 268, and 277 in his doubles event for the first 800 series of the tournament on Friday. He teamed with his son John, a first-time participant, for a 1,343 score in the event, just short of the top 10.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15374&f=1

On Saturday, Anthony Kastle of Charlotte, NC rolled the third-highest series in Classified Division history, a 723 (201, 268, 254) in his doubles event (Regular Doubles, but Kastle is Classified in singles and all-events) to help him to the Classified All-Events lead.

Re: USBC Open - 03/16/09 05:56 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15377&f=1

Two bowlers in the same squad, Mike Newman of Council Bluffs, IA and Keith Ubert of Hays, KS, shared the spotlight by rolling 300 games in their team event on Saturday. Newman started his 2009 USBC Open campaign with the 300, while Ubert needed to warm up before getting his in the last game of the squad. The pair was only a few lanes apart, so spectators at their end of the facility got their money's worth.

This makes seven 300s so far, nearly twice as many as in the entire run of the 1986 ABC Championships held at the same venue (four).

Re: USBC Open - 03/16/09 06:26 PM

I thought the shot I practiced on was easier that the shot of last year. Maybe it wasn't? Scores seem to be higher this year.

Re: USBC Open - 03/16/09 10:38 PM

I thought the shot I practiced on was easier that the shot of last year. Maybe it wasn't? Scores seem to be higher this year.

Not sure if it's easier, but last year in 11 league games (PBAX league) I averaged 176. This year in practice once I found my line I was well over 200. Going to a different house this weekend to see if I can repeat anything close to my practice sessions. I'm hoping to practice at 4 houses prior to going out to LV in mid-April, just to get a feel of the difference across differing lanes.

Re: USBC Open - 03/16/09 10:40 PM

Wow, you went straight up 7 with the Cell? I wonder if the VG can do the same thing? I know I could only get my Terminator outside of 10 when the lanes started to breakdown in the later games.

I'd like to practice on this shot. But our House has it down at 8 am on Sunday. Little too early. By the time I could get there, I am sure it would be broken down .

In practice, I was going straight up 5 with my Pearl Cell, and crushing the pocket. I was also able to get to the pocket that way with my solid Cell, so it's definitely a line to try. It's the one I'm going with since I don't rev it up enough to swing at all. (going up 5 is also how I play the Shark, btw)

Re: USBC Open - 03/16/09 11:49 PM

Dan, went to a different house that has the vegas shot on Monday night. These were wood lanes, though, and I didn't know how they would react.

I definitely was able to play out at the 5. And, with more than 1 ball. Both my VG and the Term reacted great from out there. As the oil changed, I couldn't quite get a lesser ball to react the same, leaving washouts. So I moved a little inside, back out to 10-12, and a shot was there.

Re: USBC Open - 03/17/09 09:20 AM

Dennis:

Liberty Bowl?

I can't wait to bowl on oil again. My last 2 balls are more geared towards heavier oil. Hopefully in a few weeks, I can get out and start practicing on weekends. My house is running a special during the week now. 9pm-12am, $10 all you can bowl. I am going to start bowling a few games after league this week. This house doesn't have any PBA patterns in their machine though. I asked. A few years ago I guess they tried a Sport league. 10 teams of 4. By week 6, they had half the league drop. Never ran it again.

Re: USBC Open - 03/17/09 12:50 PM

I started going on the boards on bowl.com again for Nationals. It gives me a little insight into the lanes and what to do when in town. One of the guys posted a link to a site that I thought had an interesting take on how to play the lanes this year.

Originally Posted By: bowlingfordumdums

March 10, 2009

My insight on how to play the lanes correctly at the Open Championships.....

I made a trip down to Vegas last week to check out the venue and lane conditions at this years Open Championships. Also more importantly to go hang out and watch some friends bowl too. I have to say it is a big advantage to make an earlier trip to get some insight on how the condition will play.......because it is different than past years......

First of all it is my opinion that there is way too much oil on the lane period (this is the most oil ever at Nationals).......so many people are going to think that aggressive balls and bowling balls with strong layouts may be the way to go............but that's not the case........it might be ok for about a game in Team event....... but after that it won't be good......and this is why.......

10% More oil on the lane than last year with all that extra oil between 10 and 38 feet ....... heads will break down as fast as last year but down the lane will play much tighter......... the pattern is two feet shorter but it won't act like it ......here's a clue............. having some shine on the surface of your ball might be key this year to create some backend reaction and more overall hook.

Last year they had the extra reverse loads at 10 and the 12 board while this year they have them at 6 and 9. You have only have three ways to attack a pattern when you are on the fresh (Team event)......Outside, Inside or right on top of where those extra loads are......... People got fooled last year when Mike Jasnau hinted to people to play outside of it when in fact the right place to play to start was on top of it.... Another thing to remember .....about every legitimate condition you bowl on you will very seldom be able to play directly outside the extra shim unless the pattern is short or the overall amount of oil is lower.........

The lefties will be playing on top of the shim this year there is no doubt......unless there is enough of them to break it down......if that happens they too will have to use weaker stuff and move in............especially in doubles and singles. Many of them might be throwing shiny stuff right off the bat.....

The righties I'm afraid will be better off to start inside the extra loads.....reason being more oil down the lane will result a ball reaction with more hang to the right especially with those extra loads at 6 and 9. You are going to be better staying away from that in the long run.

For years and years it was so important for a team to break down the lanes correctly but with the increased oil it isn't the case anymore......your better off playing a little further in on the fresh because there is so much oil.....your better off playing the puddle for hold then wasting time trying to create more dry to the right......If the volume was lighter like it was a few years ago......I could see it........

The higher rev players again will have the advantage.......the bowlers who slow hooked the lane with great success won't have the nut like they did the past 2 years.......but they will be given a big bone again........The tweeners and strokers should have a little more this year if they take my advice with equipment issues........ The straighter players are again ........since it is almost March Madness time should we say........air ball...... unless they take a chance on my equipment selection advice.......then maybe they can make a few buckets or at least hit the rim........

Wanted to put a little note here that it is worth every penny to get some coaching from Mike Jasnau at the Gold Coast while you are there.......(Same site as the Bowlers Journal Tournament) but remember don't get sucked in by playing the conditions the same as the Open.........that is what happened to people last year.......and again that's the case this year too............ P.S. Another note.........im my opinion.......the lane installation was pretty poor this year so from lane to lane on the fresh there will be a dramatic difference on some pairs so if one lane is playing almost an arrow tighter right off the bat...chances are the lane isn't really level and you will need to make an adjustment.... Good luck all....

Re: USBC Open - 03/17/09 05:15 PM

yesterday a house in streamwood illinois had the usbc shot out. i got john bradford from bradford bowling pro shop. he just got back from nationals. he started with a virtual 10 to 6 and back. it seemed to work right off the bat. then he grabbed a break and moved in to 22 to 8. tat seemed to work as well. i then went on lane 1 next to him and did the same thing with my virtual at 2000. seemed like i had a little room out there to start. after 10-15 frames he had me grab my black widow and move into 4th arrow to 10 and that seemed to work in fact i had room to the right as long as i got it right late.

Most important. i think i got my equipment figured out. virtual at 2000 to open lane up. rogue cell, pearl cell, hyroad, and black widow from there. the only ball not sure about is the rogue cell. i get it friday, fly out saturday, and bowl in vegas on monday and tuesday. we'll see what happens.

Re: USBC Open - 03/17/09 05:30 PM

uniqueblinds:

Being able to open up the lanes is key. Having a ball with surface to start is a great thing to have. Then, a ball with some polish to bump off of the spot you just made. More people playing the line the better the bump zone. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Re: USBC Open - 03/17/09 05:50 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15379&f=1

There was almost a repeat of Saturday yesterday, as Jeffery Robertson of Tempe, AZ rolled the 8th 300 game of the tournament in doubles, while Jason Neiman of Warren, MI just missed one w/ a 299 in the same event and squad.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15378&f=1

On Sunday, 83-year-old Edwin Fisher of Houston, TX became the 100th member of the 50-year club.

Re: USBC Open - 03/19/09 03:39 PM

i agree. Since i was there March 7-8, the higher scores are starting to take place. At this rate it could be one of the highest scoring ever.

Re: USBC Open - 03/21/09 05:41 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15390&f=1

Dennis Tomhave of Vermillion, SD shot a 679 set to take the Classified Singles lead despite wearing a knee brace and having a limp from a nagging injury. His 1,799 all-events total is currently good for second place in Classified All-Events.

Re: USBC Open - 03/21/09 06:41 PM

Just wanted to give you a update as painful as it is. Just returned from Vegas. We made a mistake of bowling forty frame game before we bowled usbc, i ended up sticking on the first frame and did something to my plant leg...I know....stupid......

anyway bowled a 459 team with a 9 clean in the second game, then leg fell apart for the third. we did pretty good for team just over 1600 (good for us) s and d was not so good, did not even break 400 in doubles and had a 493 singles. It was tough, there was a shot but if you missed mark, it was gone. leg is not in very good shape most likley pulled a thigh muscle, lots of pain but fought through it. It was fun as usual and Binions roulette was very good for me after team. we went to pick up brackets and won 1300 on the roulette table, so paid for the trip there.....anyway take a sanded and a polished ball, hit the 10 or 11 and you will do well. make sure you make your spares.

Re: USBC Open - 03/21/09 10:24 PM

You didn't even break 500 and went to pick up bracket money!?

I shoot 654 two years ago (last time I was able to bowl), and win one bracket, no justice at all in this game, LOL. I'm glad you had fun I am heading out to watch my teammates bowl in May, I hope the tables are good to me, the airlines are taking enough money just to get there.

Re: USBC Open - 03/22/09 09:35 AM

2 years ago in Reno, I shot junk for D/S. I put in $100 total for brackets and won $50. Teammate shot over 650 for both put in $800 total and won $250 back. Just so happened that the ex-pro bowler Mark Williams was on our squad and they went head to head in most of the brackets. Things like that happen.

Re: USBC Open - 03/22/09 05:51 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15394&f=1

Joseph Burgio of Buffalo, NY didn't get a chance to tell his mother that his wife was expecting their first child before his trip to Vegas, so he jokingly told his teammates he would take the lead in the tournament and tell her in a bowl.com article. What happened? He shot a 788 to take the lead in Regular Singles yesterday. laugh

Re: USBC Open - 03/22/09 10:50 PM

I just got home from the USBC Open also. We bowled Monday and Tuesday 3/16 & 3/17. I did reasonably well in team. I had a problem keeping under the ball though. I wanted to help it. That was the wrong thing to do. Once I got myself back under control I did OK. After the team event I rented a locker and stored my equipment there overnight. We were staying about 8 miles from the Cashman Center on the west side of Vegas. Our S & D were scheduled for 9:20 on Tuesday morning. We left the condo at 7:45. We pulled into Cashman at 9:05. The traffic was horrendous. I don't think there is a street or interstate that is not under construction. Anyway, I hustled through the scale room and just got my shoes on when we went out to the lanes. The first ball in practice would not come off my thumb. I almost did the Machuga flop, but I was able to stop. I only had one piece of tape in each of my balls. I removed it but still couldn't get out of them. Obviously I kept pulling everything left.

Some advice if you are going to the Open. Test the fit of your grip before you go through the scale room. That way if changes are required, you can have any number of pro shops there make the adjustments. Once on the lanes it's too late.

Personally I had a hard time keeping hydrated. I expect this is the reason my thumb was swelled up. Hopefully the smell of me stinking up the place in singles and doubles is gone.

Re: USBC Open - 03/23/09 09:25 AM

I guess drinking beer all day at the blackjack is not a good way to stay hydrated grin

How were the people around you shooting? I have heard that the ball to have out there this year is the Virtual Gravity. Last year it was the Cell. More and more reports I am getting are saying a VG with the pin up is the way to go for team and something with polish for D/S. What equipment did you use for Team, D/S?

Re: USBC Open - 03/23/09 11:18 PM

I used my Cell for team and when I was staying behind the ball it worked great. I had to use my Ebonite Big One for S&D. It had a little bigger thumb hole. When I was able to get out of it, it was not strong enough to turn the corner. If I played down and in, I left a lot of garbage. Boy, I wish I would have thought to check my grip and had the Cell adjusted before I went through the scale room. This was the first year that my equipment actually matched up to the condition.

The team shot was about 17 to 10 with heavy forward roll. I never found a shot in S&D.

Re: USBC Open - 03/24/09 05:43 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15400&f=1

Chris Jones of Columbus, IN had the 9th 300 of the tournament Sunday night in his second game of doubles.

Re: USBC Open - 03/24/09 09:08 PM

Lots of Cell and VG's all around, i threw my twisted fury team and storm s and d. If you hit your mark 10 or 11 it was good, half a board either way...watch out......

Re: USBC Open - 04/02/09 05:51 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15433&f=1

A team out of Lexington, KY that was put together to honor the late USBC and PBA Hall of Famer Don Johnson took the Regular Team lead on Tuesday night. Don Johnson's son Jimmy is a member of the team.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15428&f=1

Above is one of the better human-interest stories of the tournament, that of Ken Davis of Hillsboro, OR, who took up bowling 3 months ago after losing almost all of his sight (field of vision) as a result of a traumatic head injury suffered while in military service in Iraq.

Re: USBC Open - 04/03/09 06:11 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15436&f=1

Vincent Yoder of Wooster, OH shot the 10th 300 game and 2nd 800 series of the tournament Wednesday night to take the Regular Singles lead with an 810 score. The 300 was flanked by games of 231 and 279.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15435&f=1

Lexington, KY's Don Johnson Memorial carried over their success in the team event to doubles and singles on Wednesday to take the lead in Team All-Events w/ a score of 10,056, the 10th highest Team All-Events score in tournament history. Team member Andres Gomez of Weston, FL, a former PBA Tour exempt player, backed up his 702 team performance with 746 in doubles and 682 in singles to move into 2nd place in Regular All-Events w/ a 2,130 score.

Re: USBC Open - 04/04/09 10:45 AM

It appears they have some pretty good shooters in that group.

Re: USBC Open - 04/06/09 05:34 PM

Getting caught up b/c I hadn't been doing my Google News search all weekend...

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15442&f=1

Turbo 2-N-1 Grips 1 out of Madison, WI took the lead in Regular Team on Friday night...

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15444&f=1

...then took the Team All-Events lead with the fifth-highest score (10,317) since Team All-Events records were first kept in 1947, on Saturday. Team members Mike Shady and and Marc McDowell were a big part of this, as they also took the lead in Regular Doubles (1,474). Shady is now 2nd in Regular All-Events with a 2,133 score.

Re: USBC Open - 04/06/09 05:44 PM

That's a very accomplished group as several if not all of them have an Eagle to their name as well as some regional experiences and titles.

Re: USBC Open - 04/06/09 05:47 PM

Mike Shady and Marc McDowell are two of my favorites from the pba tour in the 90s, not surprising they did well.

Re: USBC Open - 04/06/09 07:48 PM

On the bowl.com message boards for Nationals, Riggs is a regular. He has been talking about how they were going to attack the lanes. He posted where they bowled, what equipment he used, and how the lanes broke down. Very good info. I hope that this doesn't get blocked.

http://77square.com/sweat/blog/frame11/

Re: USBC Open - 04/07/09 05:29 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15450&f=1

49-year-old Don Burdick of DeKalb, IL wanted to give his spot at the nationals to someone new, but got his spot back, and made the most of it Sunday night by taking the Regular All-Events lead with a 703 in team, 706 in doubles, and 759 in singles for 2,168. He is the first bowler in the tournament with 3 series of 700 or better.
Posted by: LinNevada

Re: USBC Open - 04/07/09 08:27 PM

Hi All Bowled Wed 4/1 at 830pm Team.I'm in my second full year bowling averaging 160.This was my first nationals since 1992,but I have bowled nationals 6 times in late 70's & 80's when I lived in chicago

I was nervous but after rolling first ball really got into it we bowled on lane 22 team. I'm a straighter bowler,started out playing 12 to 15 with a Hammer Hot Sauce pearl Rolled 167-169-180 had 6 splits and 2 blows for a 516

Next day bowled graveyard s/d at 1130pm lanes 57-58 doubles,59-60 singles. Started out with Hammer Hot sauce pearl again in doubles from 15-19,rolled 176-163-182 for a 521. Singles bowled same ball 163,then my worst game 135 3 splits 2 blows and recovered with a 183 for a 481. All events 1518 which I was somewhat ok with, although I had too many splits and not enough strikes

I did better than a number of higher average bowlers in my league, so that makes me feel better

Will practice and get better for Reno next year also have state tournament May 2 & 3 with my friday league team. Since my team is bowling nationals in july and I'm on a canadian fishing trip I had to bowl with a good group of guys from StAlbans Vermont
the lanes are playable and you better bowlers should be able to score better than I did

Re: USBC Open - 04/08/09 06:24 AM

Say Richie, I really appreciate you bringing updates on scores from Nationals. It is a nice feature that I look forward to.

In your readings, do they ever say what balls are being used? Or, which balls are doing the highest scoring?

Thanks again.

Re: USBC Open - 04/08/09 04:58 PM

Hi Dennis...I don't think the articles ever mention equipment, but I'll keep an eye on them.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15453&f=1

50-year-old Tom Hammack of Jenks, OK almost missed his turn to compete in the Open when snow in Denver delayed his flight, but he shot a career-best 679 to move into a tie for the Classified Singles lead on Monday.

Re: USBC Open - 04/08/09 05:33 PM

Dennis:

Equipment isn't mentioned in any of the articles. I read them all of the time too. The only place I see equipment mentioned is at bowl.com on their Nationals board. Looks like the VG and Cell are the balls. One guy said on their rack was 7 VGs and 2 Cells. You can view some vids on the front page on bowl.com of the Nationals site. 2 of the 5 vids have guys throwing the VG.
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: USBC Open - 04/14/09 01:13 AM

I bowled 4/1 and 4/2. The bowling was terrible. Not just for me. I did a write up for a poker newsgroup I am on, and therefore it is more gambling orientated. It is actually more of a vacation trip report. I am pretty verbose...it is a long read, but has photos, too.

http://6-ball-says.blogspot.com/

Re: USBC Open - 04/14/09 09:37 AM

6-ball:

Very cool stuff. There is no way I would be able to keep track of all of my gambling though. Don't think I would want to. No evidence for later grin

Here is going to be how my trip is going to go.

Drink, gamble, drink, gamble, drink, bowl, drink, gamble, drink, bowl, drink, gamble, go home. Oh, and go to a bachelor party and wedding while I am there.

Re: USBC Open - 04/14/09 10:04 AM

That sounds about how my trip went w/o the bachelor party and wedding. 4 nights was enough for me..

Re: USBC Open - 04/14/09 11:02 AM

And Reno the next 2 years smile
Posted by: Shale

Re: USBC Open - 04/14/09 01:06 PM

Woo, go Lennie and Linds!

http://www.bowl.com/temparticles/LennieBoresch.html

LAS VEGAS - In 1989, Lennie Boresch Jr. of Kenosha, Wis., had a breakout year at the United States Bowling Congress Open Championships, and he has been a dominant competitor on the tournament lanes ever since.

On Monday night, the 46-year-old right-hander proved he's only gotten better with age as he posted the highest all-events score of his 28-year tournament career and took the Regular All-Events lead with a 2,223 total. He had 752 in doubles, 743 in team and 728 in singles. Don Burdick of DeKalb, Ill., previously held the lead with 2,168.

Boresch also helped Linds Limited of Milwaukee into the top spot in Team All-Events with a 10,372 total, the third-highest score since the category was introduced in 1947. Turbo 2-N-1 Grips 1 of Madison, Wis., previously held the lead with 10,317.

Dale Traber, who returned to the USBC Open Championships after a three-year hiatus due to his exempt status on the Lumber Liquidators Professional Bowlers Association Tour, added 2,080 for Linds Limited and was joined by Gary Daroszewski (2,080), Ryan Lever (1,995) and Gus Yannaras (1,994).

Re: USBC Open - 04/14/09 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: General Pounder
6-ball:

Very cool stuff. There is no way I would be able to keep track of all of my gambling though. Don't think I would want to. No evidence for later grin

Thanks...Usually I take extensive notes to generate my spreadsheet at home. I keep track of losses in case I am lucky enough to hit anything that needs to be reported, to have write-offs. This was all done from memory and there are gaps and, I am sure, errors. Not many though. The $ number is very close to accurate. All the buy ins and cash outs are valid. I did not keep accurate track of the slot/video poker falderall.

Originally Posted By: General Pounder
Here is going to be how my trip is going to go.

Drink, gamble, drink, gamble, drink, bowl, drink, gamble, drink, bowl, drink, gamble, go home. Oh, and go to a bachelor party and wedding while I am there.

Oddly perhaps, I do not drink extensively when I gamble - or bowl for that matter. I wasn't always like this. I like to {try} to keep my head about me when I am risking my hard earned dough. Also, I am old now. Afterwards, at the bar, now, that is entirely different story. grin

Re: USBC Open - 04/16/09 01:20 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15473&f=1

68-year-old Curtis Cage of Santa Clara, CA rolled the 12th 300 game of the tournament in his last game of doubles on Wednesday, then nearly shot another one in his first game of singles. If he had done it, he would've been only the fourth bowler in the history of the USBC Open Championships to bowl 2 300s in the same tournament, and only the second to do it back-to-back.

Re: USBC Open - 04/25/09 05:29 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15510&f=1

Unable to find a partner for doubles after various partners backed out, 36-year-old Lynn Corey of Addison, IL took to the wood by himself and shot the 13th 300 game of the tournament in his last game of doubles on Thursday night.

Not USBC Open news, but I thought I'd update some goings-on @ the Women's Championships...Clara Guerrero teamed up with Jenifer Larson last night to take the Classic Doubles lead, and Michelle Feldman shot the highest individual series in the history of the tournament (816) to take the lead in Classic Singles.

Re: USBC Open - 04/26/09 06:34 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15516&f=1

49 year old Ron Vokes of Racine, WI rewrote the record books yesterday, as he had a tournament record 30 consecutive strikes en route to posting a 290-300-267=857 series in Regular Singles, one shy of tying the event record. Adding in his 767 in team and 697 in doubles, he now holds the Regular All-Events record pinfall of 2,321.

Re: USBC Open - 04/27/09 09:15 AM

Old record for AE was 2279. Unbelievable.

Re: USBC Open - 04/27/09 10:56 AM

I agree, incredible. I figured the scores were going to be high this year, based on the first 2 weeks of the tournament, but that is way over the top. Must have something to watch 30 of 32 strikes.

Re: USBC Open - 04/27/09 11:06 AM

When I shot my 826, I had 32 strikes and no more than 11 in a row. 30 in a row is amazing.

Re: USBC Open - 04/27/09 02:21 PM

I want you on my team

Re: USBC Open - 04/27/09 02:38 PM

That was on a house shot, not a USBC shot. Closest I have come since was a 750something.

Re: USBC Open - 04/27/09 05:46 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15520&f=1

34 year old Sean Riccardi of Piscataway, NJ, tossed the 15th 300 game of the tournament this weekend, using it to crack the top 5 in Regular Singles (3rd, 789) and Regular All-Events (4th, 2,164). After doing well in the USBC Open and also finishing 12th in the US Open earlier this month, Riccardi plans on bowling in the PBA Tour Trials next month at Thunderbowl Lanes in Michigan.

Re: USBC Open - 04/28/09 05:40 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15526&f=1

Former University of Nebraska teammates Richard Volhard (Marathon, WI) and Kyle Shunkwiler (Lincoln, NE) shot the 16th and 17th 300 games of the tournament yesterday. Volhard's came in his last game of doubles, while Shunkwiler waited until the last game of singles for his. Volhard's doubles partner, Adam Cardwell (Woodbury, MN) actually started the strike frenzy with 10 in a row in the second game of doubles before leaving a 10 on the 11th shot, finishing out with a 289. Cardwell's 729 combined with Volhard's 731 to move the pair into third place in Regular Doubles (1,460).

Re: USBC Open - 04/30/09 05:46 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15534&f=1

The 18th 300 game of the tournament was turned in on Tuesday by 55 year old Gordon Kilpatrick of Waterloo, IA. He had wanted to post an 800 series and an all-events score of over 2,100, but will take the perfecto as a nice consolation after he failed to accomplish both goals. The 300 came in his second game of singles.

Re: USBC Open - 05/01/09 05:24 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15538&f=1

35 year old Kevin Shafer of Eaton, IN rolled consecutive 248 games in singles Tuesday to record the highest triplicate series in tournament history with a 744. The old record was 741 (3 247 games) rolled by Allen Hardesty of Chicago, also in singles, in 1993.

Re: USBC Open - 05/02/09 05:14 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15544&f=1

Having made his USBC Open Championships debut 23 years ago at the Cashman Center, 42 year old Lonnie Thielbar of Fargo, ND saw his bowling career come full circle when he posted the 19th 300 game of this year's Open Championships in his last game of singles.

Re: USBC Open - 05/02/09 05:24 PM

Is it me, or are there a lot of Midwest people showing their game?

Re: USBC Open - 05/03/09 02:22 AM

Wisconsin is killing it at Nationals.

19 days (since it is Sunday in Chicago). I am getting restless. Going to practice later today. I need to get in some games.

Re: USBC Open - 05/03/09 10:05 AM

Doesn't Wisconsin always kill it at the Nationals, hence some of the theories that will float around about a secret Wisconsin shot when USBC was still there?

Re: USBC Open - 05/03/09 10:58 AM

On the boards on bowl.com, there are a few guys who are on the leaderboard out there. I don't think that there is a secret shot up there. I just think that there is good teamwork going on. They have 10 guys breaking down the shot together. They all move together and help one another. Also, what you do in D/S is a crapshoot. It all depends on who bowls team in front of you. If you have 2 teams who work together to breakdown a shot together before you, you have a good shot. If you have a team of classified bowlers spraying the ball, good luck.

Re: USBC Open - 05/03/09 11:03 AM

I know it's not a secret shot but over the years I've been on bowl.com people have constantly brought up that conspiracy theory. Like you said it's teams working together that happen to be very good bowlers that have experience on tougher conditions as well. It's just a matter of them making the right decisions.

Re: USBC Open - 05/03/09 11:09 AM

Most of the people on those teams from there who are on the leaderboard are either ex-pros, ex-regional pros, or current regional pros. I know that they all bowl on Sport shots all of the time. For people like that, it keeps their games sharp.

Re: USBC Open - 05/04/09 11:22 AM

You can figure out the shot, but you still have to execute, and get a break or two.

Re: USBC Open - 05/12/09 05:34 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15569&f=1

The 20th 300 of the 2009 USBC Open, and the first by an international bowler this year, was thrown by Joe Ciach of Missisauga, Ontario, a seven-time member of Team Canada. The 300 came in his second game bowling for KR Strikeforce 1 of Bowmanville, ON in the team event.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15570&f=1

Jeff Johnson of Freeport, IL came within a shot of throwing a 300 at the USBC Open nine years ago. This year, the 41-year-old accomplished the feat in his last game of singles for the 21st 300 of the event.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15571&f=1

After cruising to the Senior Singles title at the Bowlers Journal event last year, 56 year old Rick Perry of Kalispell, MT once again had success while in town for the USBC Open, posting a 226-299-289=814 set to move into second place in Regular Singles behind Ron Vokes of Racine, WI, who also still leads in Regular All-Events.

Re: USBC Open - 05/12/09 06:06 PM

So many good bowlers in the Racine/Kenosha area, maybe I shouldnt move and stay here and drink the lake michigan water :P

Re: USBC Open - 05/12/09 06:47 PM

Or get some help from them and put in all the work those guys have put in for years and on demanding conditions.

Re: USBC Open - 05/12/09 07:13 PM

Heh, only been bowling 15 weeks now, but Ive gotten some help from the proshop here, lots of good advice.

Re: USBC Open - 05/12/09 07:16 PM

double posted somehow

Re: USBC Open - 05/12/09 07:36 PM

You might have something about Lake Michigan water. I was a much better bowler when I lived in Chicago over 25 years ago, then I am now, drinking underground aquifer Lake Superior water.

Re: USBC Open - 05/12/09 09:45 PM

You might have something about Lake Michigan water. I was a much better bowler when I lived in Chicago over 25 years ago, then I am now, drinking underground aquifer Lake Superior water.

I drink Lake Michigan water and it hasn't done jack for me frown

Re: USBC Open - 05/12/09 10:03 PM

I think the better drinking Lake Michigan Water goes from Madison Street, North to Milwaukee.

South of Madison has a distinct Indiana flavor from the Steel Mills in Gary.

Re: USBC Open - 05/12/09 10:07 PM

Well, I work on Madison and the river down town (the north side of the river) so I get half and half. Still got nothing.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: USBC Open - 05/13/09 03:28 PM

Well your bad side is just holding your good side back smile .

Re: USBC Open - 05/13/09 03:45 PM

9 days and counting until I leave for Sin City.

Re: USBC Open - 05/14/09 05:59 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15577&f=1

There had been 21 300 games and 9 299 games this year in the USBC Open, but no 298 game until yesterday, when 29 year old Richard Perez of Portland, OR left a 3-6 on the 12th shot of his last game of singles.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15578&f=1

A local (Las Vegas) team, K&K Bowling Services 11, put together games of 877, 952, and 984 (2,813 total) to move past Malad Gun Club of Malad, ID for the top spot in Classified Team. Malad Gun Club had held the lead since Day 5 of the tournament.

Re: USBC Open - 05/18/09 05:35 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15586&f=1

66 year old Ed Gronski of Mulkeytown, IL posted games of 197, 245, and 245 for a 687 set, the second-highest of his USBC Open career, to take the lead yesterday in Classified Singles.

Re: USBC Open - 05/22/09 09:34 AM

I leave in a few hours. I made a last minute arsenal change. I am taking out the Special Agent and adding the X-Factor. I have thrown the Special Agent a few times over the last few weeks and it doesn't feel right. Hasn't since the redrill. Here is a pic of the X-Factor that is going instead.

Re: USBC Open - 05/22/09 02:32 PM

Good luck GP, win some money for all of us!
Posted by: IanTyler

Re: USBC Open - 05/22/09 02:35 PM

good luck!!

Re: USBC Open - 05/22/09 05:44 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15608&f=1

I usually don't post about 299s in and of themselves, but there was a notable one this week, thrown by Kenny Parks, the defending USBC Senior Masters champion. He left the 3 pin in his first game of the team event bowling for D's Pro Shop 5.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15607&f=1

The Classified Singles lead changed hands once again this week, this time to Vernon Daniels of Bermuda, who posted games of 236, 224, and 232 for a 692 set.
Posted by: mikeyyy44805

Re: USBC Open - 05/23/09 02:14 AM

a guy from columbus ohio bowled a 300!!!!

he is about 1 hour from where i live....
the pressure had to be so tremendous!!! laugh

Here is an article about it:
http://bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15610&f=1

Re: USBC Open - 05/26/09 04:37 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15614&f=1

Michael Burns of El Cajon, CA had a run at perfection in his Open Championships debut in 1998, running eight before a 10 pin bit him. Yesterday, he had another chance in his second game of doubles and completed it for the 23rd 300 game of the tournament.

Re: USBC Open - 05/27/09 10:30 AM

Well, I'm finally back and sitting at a computer. First let me say that I had an absolute blast out there. I hadn't been to Vegas in 10 years. So many things have changed. Some for the better, some for the worse. Progress I guess.

Team event: Lanes were playable but you couldn't get it too far outside unless you had a ton of hand. My out of bounds was about 7. 8 I was fine, 7 I was shooting at a wash out. I started out with my Cell at 1000 from 15-10. I had a decent look to the pocket but I was having a heck of a time with my spares. I have no confindence in my spare ball and in hind sight, I should have stopped at the Storm booth and just had a new one drilled up. After about 6 frames I moved to my Hy-Road at 4000 and it gave me a little more at the back end. I was rolling the ball pretty good but not scoring well. Also, missed spares killed me. Team was my low set for the tourney thanks to a fabulous 130 game to finish up (6 opens with 5 of them in a row). No one on my pair did anything for team. Others in my group did okay. One of the guys shot 650 with a 180 the last game. As a team, they shot 2932 and will get money back.

Doubles: Lanes were getting toasted. Actually, the heads were getting toasted. I was playing my Hy-Road from 15-10 but I was basically lofting it over the heads. I was doing okay but not getting the ball to do much so I went to straight up 7 with the Cell. There were others who were having success out there. Did okay but again, missed spares killed me. A team doubles teams from my group shot around 1200 and will cash. Not a lot but enough to go out to dinner on.

Singles: Heads were gone. Completely. I went back to my Hy-Road. I tried my X-factor for a couple of shots but it just didn't feel right. I had my best set of the tourney (which really isn't saying much). I moved left and was throwing about 21 to 8. There were a few of my group who scored okay during Singles but everyone pretty much said the same thing. Fried heads. One of the girls who I bowled team with shot really well. 238, 289, 182 for 709. She had a great look on their pair. Had the front 10, grabbed at #11 and went high and left a 6 pin. She kind of lost it for a little in the last game and recovered for the 709.

My sets were embarrasing. 473, 490, 540. I literally had at least 2 opens in every game. I had a few splits but mostly missed opportunities. I found that when I was throwing my spare ball, my swing plane was WAY off. ball was going way out on the back swing and was way in on the follow through. Hence, I was missing all of my spares right. When I stopped using my spare ball, I started making more of them.

Consensus was that they need to start re-oiling after team. With all of these teams now using a lot of surface to break down the lanes, by the time you get to singles and doubles, the lanes are getting to be toasted. Be that as it may, there was a playable shot out there and you can score on it if you make your spares and stay out of trouble. I could have easily been another 150 pins higher.

For Vegas itself. I did a lot of walking around, a decent amount gambling, and way to much drinking. Video poker at the MGM is great. You can bet the minimum and get drinks. Bartenders are really friendly. Dealers at Hooters (male and female) were great. Played Pai Gow there and had an absolute blast. Waitresses came around a lot as well which is not always the case. Planet Hollywood is a very cool looking place with a lot of yuppies and money floating around. If you want to people watch, go there. If you want to gamble, don't. Dealers don't talk at all. They basically stare at the table and just deal. No interaction. Ballys and Bills Gambling hall were pretty good. Dealers at the Flamingo were fun. I pretty much gave them money at all of the above.

While I was there, I had a Bachelor Party and a wedding. The Bachelor party turned out to be just a bunch of us heading to Toby Keith's bar at Harrahs and gambling. The wedding was awesome. They have a wedding chapel in Mandalay Bay. Very nice. Afterward, we were driven around Vegas in a stretched Hum-V. No sun roof but it was too hot to open any window. We had our picture taken at the Vegas sign. Dinner that night was in Paris at the Eiffel Tower. That was one of the best meals I have ever had. Don't know if it was worth what I paid, but it was phenominal. Plus, we had a great view of the water show at the Bellagio. Perfect night.

For those people who have thought about going to Nationals, go. At least once. Get as many teams as you can and go. The one regret I have about this year is that we stayed pretty far from the rest of the group. Since it was Vegas, everyone pretty much stayed where they had their perks and the best deals. We were south of the strip at a Fairfield, there was a couple guys at the Stratosphere, and the rest some where in between. I think that the most fun we had was during the day on Tuesday just hanging out in one of the guys rooms (they had a HUGE suite for 5 of them), drinking, playing cards, and telling stories. For the people who want to bowl every day while they are out there, you can do that. There are a bunch of side tourneys. Next 2 years are in Reno. One of my teammates who just came back to the game is going with a different team next year. Another who came just because it is Vegas said that he will be back year after year. Great experience. Great fun.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: USBC Open - 05/27/09 11:11 AM

Thanks GP for that great report. We go at the end of July. Looking forward to it. After having gone to several Nationals, I don't have high expectations. But Vegas should be fun. We're staying at Excalibur. We're driving so we'll have a car to get around.

Erin

Re: USBC Open - 05/27/09 12:01 PM

I'm glad you had a good time GP.

I'm still in Vegas, my wife and I are having a great time too. It seems we went to many of the same places and had similar experiences. We had a great time at Planet Hollywood and just driving around and seeing the sites. We saw Dane Cook Sunday night and Legends in concert last night, both were good, Robert Kelly who opened up for Dane, was even funnier than Dane was imo.

Legends in concert was great, the guy that impersonates James Brown was as good as the real James Brown and would have made him proud. The Britney Spears was better than the real deal and had 75% fewer stretchmarks. My wife is still ga ga over the Elvis impersonator who seemed to really enjoy preforming and was outside shaking hands and taking pics and making sure everyone had fun and we did.

My team bowled their usual, everyone around 550 each set, and threatening to score well if they could just stay lined up and not make mistakes every third shot. The shot seemed to break down quickly this year, the heads started drying up after the first game of team, this helped open up the lane, to the point where the shot was very deep between the 4th and 5th arrow out to the 8 to 10 board as GP mentioned. The key was not to try to hook the ball, and just let the lane do the work, but it is hard telling yourself you don't need to hook the ball when moving in that deep.

There was another shot with an aggressive ball with high speed and marginal side rotation, but you had to be accurate and be able to maintain a high ball speed without grabbing the ball at the release. Two of my teammates were able to shoot a couple of mid 600 sets playing this line, would have been higher if they were more polished at playing this line, like I said mistakes every 3 to 5 frames killed off what could have been some great scores.

I stopped by the storm booth and checked out the storm staff members' balls they had on display. It is funny how Norm Duke and Pete Webber's hands are bigger than Wes Malott who is a foot taller. Wes uses a ton of bevel in his thumb, Norm's holes are fairly sharp and his thumb looks like a triangle shape. Check it out at the storm booth if you are out there.

Re: USBC Open - 05/27/09 12:03 PM

We bowled team at 8:30pm on Sunday and D/S at 11:30pm on Monday. Didn't get there until 8 on Sunday and the Storm booth as well as most of the others were already closed. When we got there at 10:30 for the D/S, the only place left open was the bar.

Re: USBC Open - 05/27/09 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Thanks GP for that great report. We go at the end of July. Looking forward to it. After having gone to several Nationals, I don't have high expectations. But Vegas should be fun. We're staying at Excalibur. We're driving so we'll have a car to get around.

Erin

Erin,

Might I suggest either a Taxi for your trips to the center, or look into riding on the bus system(specifically The Deuce). Would probably be much cheaper than spending on a car, unless you're looking to go outside of the city.

Re: USBC Open - 05/27/09 01:26 PM

I had a car. From Friday at 7pm to Tuesday morning at 7am, it was $150 after taxes. It was a full size (Grand Prix). If we would have had to pay for parking at the hotel, it would have not been worth it. Being able to and from the bowl when we wanted to was a huge plus.

Re: USBC Open - 05/27/09 02:43 PM

Quote:
Would probably be much cheaper than spending on a car,

We'll be driving our own car/truck. Cheaper then flying, plus we dont' have to worry about shipping bowling balls.
Posted by: TheDemolitionMan

Re: USBC Open - 05/27/09 08:40 PM

Like GP, I finally have some time to talk about my first ever USBC Open and well as my first trip to Vegas.

Overall, IT WAS AWESOME.

Vegas was great, tons to do and in fact too much to do in 4 days. Definately, have to take week to explore more when I go back next time.

As for bowling, I can't be disappointed too much. I had fun and on the D/S day, one of the team members on our sister team from SD threw the 23rd 300 game of the Open. So that was pretty sweet.

As for my play I shot a 1473 or something for overall which came out to a 160 average even which I thought was pretty good for me. I think it could've been better...I kinda...sorta got a little starstruck and awed a bit the first day and threw a 407 series. Yeah so much for mastering my mental game. LOL. thumbsup

Anywho, I refocused the next day and did what I had to do, i.e. thinking of each game as if it were a game of practice. I threw a 508 and 529 for doubles and singles. Significantly better in my opinion, and it was nice to find out, through my dad, that a couple of other, better bowlers said that I needed maybe a couple of more years to shred this pattern to bits. So that was a big confidence booster. Especially after a sort of rough outing. It wasn't as hard as I thought, especially considering I was throwing my Venus the whole time, but still tough. The thing that really was grinding my gears was that I was missing spares by literally a fraction of an inch. Some where bad shots, but most were right on my mark but just didn't cross over as much because of the oil. Oh well, live and learn. I guess all I can do is practice.

I really wish I had the money to get the equipment I wanted. I walked into the Storm booth and there was everything I could've wanted. The balls, shoes and bag, all there, just no money. frown Oh well. It's proabaly better that way anyways. More time to get used to each different piece of my arsenal instead of trying it out at Nationals.

Anyways, I had a blast and hope to be back next year. thumbsup

Re: USBC Open - 06/03/09 04:40 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15646&f=1

45 year old Rob Lucas of West Lafayette, IN contemplated quitting bowling after knee surgery (complicated by a staph infection), but his persistence paid off yesterday when he tossed the 24th 300 of the tournament in his second game of singles.

Re: USBC Open - 06/03/09 05:11 PM

I'll be heading out to Vegas July 1-5, bowling on the 2nd and 3rd. We booked the Bellagio and got a good deal for the GF and I. I'm expecting a difficult shot but I'm also expecting to enjoy the experience and my first trip to Vegas. The whole trip was planned by the guy who runs my local lanes and he asked me to be a part of it. We have 2 teams of 5 going, I cant wait to see how we all do including myself.

How many bowling balls does the average person bring when flying? I'm thinking of taking (2) two ball totes (one as a carry on). I'd rather not ship the balls ahead of time if I can help it. Reading the stories has me psyched, I cant wait to be a part of it.

Re: USBC Open - 06/03/09 05:17 PM

Mike:

I wouldn't carry on. TSA doesn't know what bowling ball cores are. 4 is a good amount to take. Have fun out there.

Re: USBC Open - 06/03/09 05:47 PM

I didnt think about that GP, good point. I can fit my clothes in the carry on it's only a few days worth.

Re: USBC Open - 06/04/09 12:41 AM

How many bags can you check without getting charged? If you can get away with 1, then you check a bowling bag and your gf check one. Then carry on all of your clothes.

Re: USBC Open - 06/04/09 07:51 AM

Mike, I checked my 4-ball roller as 2 pieces, and had a carryon bag with clothes on the plane. Each bag booked was charged, $25 for the first and $15 for the second, each way. And, they have to be under 50# each or you are charged an over weight fee. If each person checked 1 bag, it would be $25 for each. $40 was better than $50. That's another bet at Blackjack.

Checkout the half price Show ticket booth at the Hotel. Jersey Boys was worth seeing. It's at the Hilton which is a pricey cab ride, $13 one way, plus tip. We took the bus and got the 24 hour bus pass for $7. Used it to and from the show the first night, and took a bus ride to the Cashman Center the next afternoon to watch an earlier squad bowl. Take the LV Blvd bus to the downtown terminal, and transfer to bus 113. Get off at Washington, 1 block from Cashman. Cab from Bellagio to the Bowling Center was $26 for 2, one way. Albuquerque had free shuttles from the Hotel, not Vegas. My transportation costs were $55 for cabs and $7 for buses for the weekend.

At each destination, Vegas and Milwaukee, I found that my ball bags were opened and inspected. They insert a piece of paper explaining that the bag had been opened and inspected for security reasons.

Guess the internal weight screws up their X-ray equip.

Oh, and make sure you bring a small size of toiletries, 3-4oz max. They confiscated a new full tube of toothpaste as being too large. But, they ignored the 8oz bottle of ball cleaner checked my bag pouch. So, put bigger sizes in your ball bag.

Re: USBC Open - 06/04/09 08:03 AM

Welcome back Dennis, how did you bowl?

I wish I could have extended my stay a day so we could meet.

Demo, it gets easier the more you bowl the less star struck you get. Vegas was a good year to get your feet wet, this year's venue was not near as intimidating as the stadium and the 100ft high ceiling that make your perspective get thrown off if you look up.

Re: USBC Open - 06/04/09 09:13 AM

Hi Jim. How'd I bowl? Well, I made more money playing Blackjack then bowling. This was actually the first year of Nationals bowling that gambling paid for some of the trip.

I had a tougher time than GP. I found the lanes gave me a lot of back end that I normally don't have. My 2 main balls were too strong. I was hemmed between the 8 board and 10 at the arrows straight up, and the 8 at the breakpoint from 15 at the target. Both of my balls over read the backend of the lanes for a total of 15 splits. I think I only had 3 missed makable spares in 9 games, 2-10 pins.

I had the best roll in set 3 when I finally moved to a medium ball.

Interesting note. There was a team next to us who were sponsored by a Storm Rep. They all rolled VG's. Each was drilled with the pin under for an earlier roll. they all had a nice controllable hook. My pin over tournament drilling was too strong for the lanes. Talked with them about it, and the Rep said he found the Tournament drill pattern too strong for the National shot. I found that out.

My Terminator at 1200 polished went through the oil just fine but at 8 straight up would cross over a lot, diving through the nose mostly. Moving left a little at a time just didn't cut it for me. My VG from 26 over 15, again left unmakable splits. I was getting a final snap on both balls that I had trouble controlling. both balls would be fine off my hand, hit the target and break, turn to the pocket, and radically dive to the left the final 5 feet. The more I would try to project the balls out farther on the lane, the more they broke for me. Guess I have developed too much hand in a year. Or the relaxed span hurt me.

The second day was a fiasco. We were in the 5:30 S/D shift. Of course, they don't oil between Team (earlier) and our shift, so I was expecting some carrydown issues.
But, I didn't expect to bowl in 80+ degree heat in the center as well. People were sweating, and 2 bowlers quit with the heat. One from our team. Seems, the earlier Team squad was complaining that it was too cool. So, they shut the air off. That building really heated up quickly in the afternoon Sunlight, and took a long time to cool down. I had been in the building twice before, once to watch and another to bowl. As you enter, you feel the rush of cool air at the door as you left the 90* outside to the air conditioning inside. Sunday, you were met with hot stagnant air inside as well. It wasn't fun to bowl in those temps. I checked our squad bracket results. There was only 1 series over 650, then it dropped to just over 600 and down farther. I guess the heat affected all of the bowlers and probably the lane oil as well.

Another strange thing was that I fouled twice. I can't remember my last foul. I was sliding a lot longer than usual on the approach.

All in all, the trip was good for me. But, my teammates whined and complained a lot. Mostly about the temp and conditions. A few said they won't come again. One fellow, a cranker, has a 220 on a House shot, and rolled 355 in Doubles with 8 gutters. He certainly won't be back. Dead man's land outside of 8 killed him.

Time for a new group. Tough to bowl with everyone complaining.

A benefit for me was the Lane Masters booth recognized me from previous visits. I told them about my problem with my Conqueror after I put it in the revivor. They offered me a new Dynamic Power, drilled with grips, and shipped back home for $125, $15 was shipping. Didn't expect the deal, but I took it.

Re: USBC Open - 06/04/09 10:13 AM

Just to add, I saw a really strange shot while at Nationals. As many do, my doubles partner let his ball out too wide, and left a 1-2-7-8-10 washout. On the spare shot, he again let it out wide and hit the right, pocket side of the head pin. The pin went sideways and bounced off the side board, hitting the 2-7-8. But what was weird was that his ball also deflected off the head pin to the right and picked up the 10.

Re: USBC Open - 06/05/09 07:43 AM

OK, I kept detailed records of the costs of my trip to Vegas, kept receipts and accounted for cash use with the following results.

Entrance fee
Airfare/Baggage check/airport parking
Hotel/Food/Show
Taxi/Bus
Brackets
New ball and shipping
Misc. Photos/souvenirs/etc
Total Cost was $987

Course, most will not buy a new ball $125. Or lose money in Brackets, as I did $100. But, just wondering what others spent.

Re: USBC Open - 06/05/09 08:51 AM

Entrance Fee
Airfare
Rental Car
Taxi
Brackets
Tram
Food
Limo
$1143

That doesn't count my gambling losses or drinks. I really don't want to know what that total is. I had a wedding while I was out there. We had dinner at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. That was almost half of my food total. I didn't want to take the rental car out when I was drinking/gambling with my friends. That made my taxi higher than I was hoping. Oh well. Looking forward to Reno.

Re: USBC Open - 06/05/09 09:11 AM

What was different this year vs others, was that I didn't spend $1 on a drink, alcoholic, that is.

According to my cash count when I returned, I actually recovered $488 at the Blackjack tables.

That game, Gai fong ,or fu gay, or whatever it is, was just a slow death. Stay away.

Re: USBC Open - 06/05/09 09:14 AM

Pai Gow. I love that game. At about 4am, some of my buddies started calling it Ka Pow though.

Re: USBC Open - 06/05/09 09:21 AM

Yeah, that's the game where you play 2 hands out of 7 cards, but have to win both to win, isn't it?

Re: USBC Open - 06/05/09 09:37 AM

Yep. The way to win at that game is to play the "sucker" bets. When you hit 3 of a kind or better, you win based on the odds. If you bet $5 on that and someone else at the table hits one of the higher ones, you win. In Reno, I was playing only $1 on that when I was playing $5 (I had just reduced the bet due to my dwindling stack of chips.) I hit 4 of a kind and won $100. Guy on the other side of the table who had $5 out won more than I did.

Re: USBC Open - 06/05/09 05:24 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15652&f=1

Not only has the all-events record fallen in this Open Championships, but the record three-game series has, as well. 48 year old Bo Goergen of Midland, MI posted games of 299, 299, and 264 for an 862 set, which took the lead in Regular Singles. Goergen had 32 of a possible 36 strikes in the series. The previous record was held by John Janawicz of Winter Haven, FL, who rolled an 858 on the way to the 2004 Regular Singles and Regular All-Events titles.

Re: USBC Open - 06/05/09 07:46 PM

(2) 299s in a series. Great series but that sucks.

Re: USBC Open - 06/05/09 11:54 PM

When I read his series, I knew there had to be some big scores. Then I saw back to back 299's. Damn, I got one of those this year, and it leaves a bitter feeling and taste in your mouth. You replay, and replay that last ball a dozen times as how it could have been different. then to do it again, is just inconceivable.

Re: USBC Open - 06/06/09 05:37 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15660&f=1

Bo Goergen, as it turns out, is a teammate of USBC Masters champion John Nolen, who made his last Open Championships appearance before he becomes PBA Tour exempt. Nolen had a 703 bowling for Northern Lanes Pro Shop of Sanford, MI, helping that team to ninth place in Regular Team, then followed up with 651 in doubles and 685 in singles for a career-best 2,039 all-events total. Northern Lanes Pro Shop is now third in Team All-Events with 10,116.

Re: USBC Open - 06/12/09 06:00 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15676&f=1

20 year old Joe Hostetler of Minerva, OH arrived later than expected at the Cashman Center on Wednesday, needed to find a collared shirt to compete in, and then had 2 near falls in the second frame of his first game of team that caused him to foul each time for a 0 frame. He rebounded from that with 6 strikes for a 202, then battled a lower back strain caused by his double foul to record the 25th perfect game of the tournament. He added a 227 for a 729 set in team, then came back with a 716 in doubles and a 711 in singles for a 2,156 all-events score, good for 6th place in Regular All-Events. Hostetler was only the third bowler in the tournament to post 3 sets of 700 or better.

Re: USBC Open - 06/12/09 11:53 PM

I have seen him bowl in local tournaments in person, and he is a very solid bowler. Kudos.

Re: USBC Open - 06/14/09 05:19 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15682&f=1

29 year old Eric McIver of Des Moines, WA rolled the 26th 300 game of the tournament Friday in his last game of doubles. McIver started bowling in a league in September that uses lane conditions similar to those found on the nationals lanes in recent years, so that was proof that preparation does indeed pay off.

Re: USBC Open - 06/16/09 06:18 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15687&f=1

30 year old Lee Vanderhoef of Greenville, SC posted the 27th 300 game of the tournament yesterday. Vanderhoef kept the mood light during his quest for perfection by joking around with 2007 USBC Queens champion Kelly Kulick, whom he's had a 10-year friendship with.

Re: USBC Open - 06/29/09 04:58 PM

Had a fairly busy weekend, so this is getting everyone caught up on tournament news...

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15720&f=1

Terry Rohrer of Ft. Wayne, IN watched his teammate Frank Testa of Akron, OH, post the 28th 300 game of this year's USBC Open in the team event, then added one of his own in singles.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15719&f=1

Brenda Edwards (776) and Stephen Padilla (790) of Mansfield, TX broke the USBC Open doubles record previously held by Jonathan Masur (West Orange, NJ) and Jeffrey Butler (Garfield, NJ) with a 1,566 (previous record, 1,544, was set at the National Bowling Stadium two years ago). Edwards, the sister of Team USA head coach Jeri Edwards, then added a 300 third game of singles, the 30th of the tournament.

Re: USBC Open - 06/29/09 08:40 PM

Weds the girlfriend and I plus 9 other bowlers put together from my local lanes are heading out for Vegas. I'm still trying to decide how many balls to bring:

1)Either the 3 ball roller loaded with 2 balls to keep it under 50lbs plus my 2 ball tote as a carry on for a total of 4.
2)3 ball roller and call it a day despite the extra weight/cost.

I'm bringing the Cell Pearl and I just had the original Cell punched up for the trip. I threw a few games and it was nothing short of vicious on the back end. The spare ball is a must and if I go with 4 balls I'll bring something a bit more tame like my Paradigm for when the lanes break down. This is my first trip out there so Im not expecting much other than enjoying the experience, getting out of PA and giving it my best.

Re: USBC Open - 06/29/09 09:30 PM

Hey Mike, have a great time. I understand the condition is pretty darn wet. You might not need the polished and pearl stuff. But not a bad idea to bring at least one.

We're hitting the road the Vegas July 16th and bowling the 18th 19. I already have tickets for Terry Fator at the Mirage (there's a 25% discount for USBC bowlers) and since we're staying at Excalibur the jousting dinner show on Sunady night. The bowling is going to be tough, but I'm determined to have fun.

Take pictures!! I'm bringing my lap top so hopefully can get online during the trip.

Erin

Re: USBC Open - 06/29/09 09:38 PM

The lane conditions broke down to the point a pearl would come in handy depending on the line and the amount of revs you have. The original cell will get the most use followed by the cell pearl depending on if it has too much back end, then the paradigm will probably fit the bill and good idea for the spare ball. Good Luck Mike let us know how you do.

Re: USBC Open - 06/29/09 09:58 PM

Gotta agree with Jim. The lane conditions were really weak, especially for Doubles and Singles, where they do not oil between the earlier Team squad and yours. The back ends, I found, were really wicked, and snapped. I spent the whole time fighting to keep off the head. 15 splits tells my story.

But, enjoy your time.

BTW, Blackjack was beri, beri gut to me.

Re: USBC Open - 06/29/09 10:17 PM

Thanks for the info and suggestions! I have one more day or work to get through then early to bed as the flight leaves at 730am. I just want to make a decent showing. Try to stay away from splits and missed 10 pins, cover easy spares and do the simple things to earn decent scores. I'm not a fan of traveling but this time I'm definitely excited to be a part of it. I wont be bringing my laptop but expect pics and a full report on how good.....or bad I did lol

Re: USBC Open - 06/30/09 05:49 AM

Quote:
The back ends, I found, were really wicked, and snapped. I spent the whole time fighting to keep off the head. 15 splits tells my story.

This is why you have to learn to be nice to the ball, and let it just roll off your hand, any kind of "Grip it and Rip it" will make the ball over react and be near uncontrollable.

Re: USBC Open - 06/30/09 09:37 AM

The heads during D/S started to get really fried. Something drilled pin up, pearl, and polished should work well.

Re: USBC Open - 06/30/09 06:01 PM

Gotta agree with Jim. The lane conditions were really weak, especially for Doubles and Singles, where they do not oil between the earlier Team squad and yours.

Unless you get saddled with the very first squad of the day, or nobody bowled team the squad before your D/S squad. That makes things a little more interesting, or so I've heard. One of these years I might actually get to bowl the Nationals.

Re: USBC Open - 06/30/09 09:01 PM

Quote:
Unless you get saddled with the very first squad of the day, or nobody bowled team the squad before your D/S squad. That makes things a little more interesting, or so I've heard. One of these years I might actually get to bowl the Nationals.

My team gets saddled with the 7am sunday morning squad every year, and it's fresh oil, but they never seem to have as much as they do for team, this year was no exception and the heads were drying out by the third game of doubles.

A pin up pearl and some side rotation, without grabbing it of course, would open the shot up. Increasing the speed also worked, but required an aggressive ball to keep it from snapping too hard on the back. Staying with a ball like the cell and just increasing the ball speed by holding the ball higher and letting the ball drop into the swing instead of throwing the ball harder (hooks too early), should work if you are comfortable playing straight.

Re: USBC Open - 07/01/09 04:44 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15732&f=1

Greg Bollinger of Plainville, IL and P.J. Massey of St. Joseph, MO had known each other for years, but Massey had no idea Bollinger was bowling in his team squad until Bollinger completed his team event with a 300 game. By fate, Massey would finish his own 300 two minutes later.

Re: USBC Open - 07/06/09 05:14 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15745&f=1

Frankie Colon of San Juan, PR, a member of Puerto Rico's national team, recorded the 33rd 300 game of the tournament in his second game of singles yesterday. His doubles partner happened to be Kim Terrell-Kearney, last year's US Women's Open champion and a member of the Team USA squad for the World Women's Championships at the Cashman Center later this month.

Re: USBC Open - 07/06/09 06:09 PM

I'm back and it was an experience. They set up the Cashman Center very nice and had some good deals on equipment if you wanted to drag it back home. I went with my Cell, Cell Pearl and XXXL. In practice the guy in front of me left nothing but splits to shoot at so I didnt have much to go on except it was no house shot. I promptly started with a split but then settled down. Half way through I was clean and left a solid 10 pin and wiffed by a hair and then tugged a little left for a game ending split. I rolled 179-236-232=647. The last 2 games were completely clean. I played a deeper line with the Cell. It was more aggressive than I wanted but the Cell Pearl gave me a severe over/under reaction if you missed by a board or two. This was on fresh oil as was doubles and singles.

The next day wasn't as good. What worked the day before did not work at all this day. If you played left the ball would snap away from Brooklyn if you were a hair slow. If you were fast it would push right through the out of bounds and leave ugly wash outs and I had a pair of gutters on the day. The first game was MISERABLE, split city. I rolled 137-235-168 for a 540 series. Game 2 was clean and I had a 5 bagger in there. Game 3 I couldnt carry a double to save my life.

Singles wasn't great but wasn't bad. We moved to the lanes where the other people from my bowling alley were playing and we got what they broke in. Again it seemed like a severe under over reaction no matter what ball I rolled. What margin of error you have in league it's a lot less on these conditions. I rolled 164-190-217 playing up against the ball return. Game 2 was clean minus a gutter ball on a spare and a split in the 10th. Game 3 was clean.

All In all the 137 game was unacceptable. The 164-168-179 were so-so and the rest I was happy with. I ended up with 1758 all events which is 195 average I believe. For my first time at Nationals I think it was an OK outing with a large room for improvement. I got a ton of pictures and we got the team video which is so-so quality. It was definitely a great trip, the Bellagio was top notch as was the food they served in the buffet. The heat was more than I liked as were the relentess guys handing out "cards" (some women too). Over all it was a great experience. The next 2 years Nationals is in Reno, I dont think I'll be there for it but when it returns to Vegas chances are I'll be there to improve upon this outing or try my best.

Re: USBC Open - 07/06/09 08:55 PM

You had a nice showing, I have heard of people doing much much worse, myself included. What would you say you needed to work on for next time?

Re: USBC Open - 07/07/09 12:52 AM

For next time I need to improve upon things that will help me in league. Cleaner release, work on using different hand positions and better timing. It would have helped to have another ball fit in between the Cell and Cell Pearl. My game certainly has flaws, I knew it before Nationals but now I have a better understanding of them. I'm self taught so I won't throw my game out the window trying to change too much at once but I have a few things I want to work on when I get time to practice again.

Re: USBC Open - 07/07/09 05:26 AM

Do you think the Rogue would help, or would it be too jumpy, maybe a polished cell with the pin under the fingers with a longer pin to pap distance?

Thanks for sharing, let me know if you need any help getting ready for next time.
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: USBC Open - 07/07/09 12:25 PM

Speaking of the Rogue Cell, I will be leaving for Vegas in the morning, and decided not to bring 6 balls with me, just the Rogue Cell and my XXXL. Will let y'all know how it goes.

Re: USBC Open - 07/07/09 01:19 PM

Good luck Joe! When does the tourney officially end? I'm barely in there for cashing in doubles and total pin fall.

The polished Cell pin under sounds like what I was looking for. Next time I'm taking two 2 ball totes. My 3 ball bag got beat up pretty good on its way to Vegas and back. I'll be sure to pick your brain next time I venture out that way, thanks for the offer!

Re: USBC Open - 07/07/09 01:33 PM

Thanks, Mike. I believe the tournament runs through July 23rd.

Re: USBC Open - 07/07/09 03:43 PM

Nice bowling Mike, at least you put some decent scores up.

Good luck Joe, and most importantly learn something!

Re: USBC Open - 07/07/09 03:53 PM

Good Luck Joe, post back here and let us know how you do.

Re: USBC Open - 07/07/09 06:38 PM

Thanks, guys. Mentally, my focus is on throwing 108 good shots, adjusting quickly to any transition, and making my spares. Physically, I will be concentrating on staying on balance at the line, and just rolling the ball off of my hand. Emotionally, I am just looking forward to taking it all in. It's been 15 years since I have been to Nationals. I'll let you know how it goes.
Posted by: BayAreaBowler

Re: USBC Open - 07/07/09 08:17 PM

Joe - I would say the most important thing to remember is to be flexible. A shot that worked in the team squad might not work in doubles/singles. When I went, I played 13 board in teams and 6 board in D/S. So be prepared to try any and every line to the pocket to find some area. And any area will be somewhat limited compared to a THS, so you'll need to really focus on hitting your target every shot.

Re: USBC Open - 07/08/09 01:49 AM

That pretty much sums up my experience. I stayed too long trying to forced what worked in teams during doubles/singles and got burnt that first game. Quicker adjustments, having confidence in playing multiple lines and being accurate are a must. In the end though it was very playable it is certainly not impossible. I feel with a little more exposure to this shot the scores will go up. I wish a THS was more like this and not what it is now.

Re: USBC Open - 07/08/09 09:05 AM

Nice going Mike. Did you get in any brackets? Should have cashed in some.

It wasn't as intimidating as you thought, was it?

Re: USBC Open - 07/09/09 10:07 PM

Mike, here are the lowest scores to cash, so far.

Doubles: 1102

Singles: 565

All Events: 1738

Re: USBC Open - 07/13/09 12:21 PM

I returned from my trip to Vegas last night. All in all, it was a great time. I loved the Cashman Center atmosphere with all of the vendors, the grand entrance onto the lanes, the thunder of the pinsetters across 60 lanes, etc.

I just wish I bowled better. My scores...
Team: 202, 186, 174 = 562
Doubles: 199, 213, 145 = 557
Singles: 182, 178, 196 = 556
All Events: 1675

I felt the shot was challenging, but playable. Over the course of the 9 games, I threw...
43 strikes (avg 4.8 per game)
20 nine-counts (avg 2.2 per game)
19 splits (avg 2.1 per game)
2 misses (avg 0.2 per game)

The splits are what killed me. The lanes transitioned surprisingly quick, and I was moving a lot, especially at the beginning of each set. The good news was, even with the below average scores, I managed to make some money in brackets. Luck of the draw, I guess. Unfortunately, the 145 game in Doubles was a real buzz-killer as it knocked me out of both the regular and reverse brackets.

The number one thing I learned was to bring all of my equipment. When I bowl local tournaments, I would not think to go without bringing my usual 6 bowling balls. What was I thinking spending all of the money to go to Nationals and only bringing 2 bowling balls?

The balls I brought included a Rogue Cell, sanded to 320, layed out 3-3/8 x 3-3/8, mass bias on VAL. All this ball knows how to do is hook, set, roll, then roll some more. The other ball I brought was an XXXL, drilled pretty much over label, for spares.

After watching some of the other bowlers before our squad started, I was concerned about the 320 grit, since I did not see anybody struggling to get the ball to hook. But, being left handed, I think that worked out okay. The guys with the shiny balls and a lot of revs seemed to be having a lot of trouble controlling the breakpoint.

The line I played varied from 6 to 10 at the arrows with a little swing. Each lane played a little different. The doubles pair was the most different, with one lane tight, the other hooking. While I would say my ball reaction was good, it was still sensitive to every variance in my release, posture, speed, etc. Welcome to Nationals!

I am already looking forward to next year, and hope to be better prepared.

Re: USBC Open - 07/13/09 04:35 PM

Dennis I won some brackets the first day and lost the 2nd day so I broke even. For doubles we are at 1114, singles was 571, all events Im at 1783 or something like that.

It wasn't as bad as I thought. I heard a lot of stories of how the ball wouldn't turn and on and on. I can't say it was a cake shot but it was playable and with more experience I'm expecting better outings.

Joe I agree with you, the Cashman Center Atmosphere was a big part of why I enjoyed the trip. If you enjoy bowling there is no way you cant enjoy a setting like that.

Re: USBC Open - 07/13/09 06:11 PM

Joe you didn't do too bad for only having one strike ball and a spare ball. I know people who brought their entire arsenal and didn't do as well.

This is why I say the USBC National shot should be used for all sanctioned leagues, because it is fair to everyone, and requires you to make good shots. It will get easier the more you bowl on it. I really enjoy bowling on it because I know I earned every shot.

Re: USBC Open - 07/13/09 10:05 PM

Joe and Mike, when I was there, the Cashman Center was so hot inside, a couple of bowlers actually walked off the lanes. Seems the earlier Team squad complained it was too cold, so they turned the A/C down. That was the 2 squad. And, when we came in for the 5 pm squad, the mid afternoon Sun just baked the building. And, it took quite a while to cool the building down. I was sweating bullets in Doubles.

Re: USBC Open - 07/13/09 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Joe you didn't do too bad for only having one strike ball and a spare ball. I know people who brought their entire arsenal and didn't do as well.

This is why I say the USBC National shot should be used for all sanctioned leagues, because it is fair to everyone, and requires you to make good shots. It will get easier the more you bowl on it. I really enjoy bowling on it because I know I earned every shot.

Thanks, Coach Jim. Before going out to Vegas, I had a chance to bowl on a local bowling center's version of the National shot. It was after a 6-game tournament, and there was still a lot of oil on the lanes. To get any pocket angle on this practice shot, I was rolling a sanded ball pretty much straight up the three board.

So, in my mind I expected to see lots of oil and carrydown. That's one reason I decided to bring an aggressive ball that I could use to play up the boards. Surprise! Even on the fresh team shot, this ball was too much, and not having a weaker ball forced me to move a lot more and a lot faster than expected.

One of the guys I bowled with did something a little crazier than me. He only brought his spare ball with him. He wanted to have a new ball drilled up onsite. Unfortunately, he did not get a change to practice with it, and when we bowled the team event it was hanging up on his thumb nearly every shot. He was so frustrated by the middle of the second game, he started throwing the ball with no thumb, something he does not usually do. Needless to say, his scores and the team total for those games was quite forgettable.

I agree with you about the Nationals shot being challenging and having to earn every shot. By the end of the first set, I was feeling much more aware of everything I was doing and how it was affecting each shot. I was thinking how great it would be to practice on such a shot.

Re: USBC Open - 07/13/09 11:27 PM

Joe and Mike, when I was there, the Cashman Center was so hot inside, a couple of bowlers actually walked off the lanes. Seems the earlier Team squad complained it was too cold, so they turned the A/C down. That was the 2 squad. And, when we came in for the 5 pm squad, the mid afternoon Sun just baked the building. And, it took quite a while to cool the building down. I was sweating bullets in Doubles.

I can only imagine how hot it must have been. Every day I was there the temperature was over 100 degrees outside. Getting into a car that had been sitting in the sun was like stepping into a toaster oven.
Posted by: beefers1

Re: USBC Open - 07/14/09 12:18 AM

Wow, sounds like you guys are having quite an experience. I would like to try this some day, when I get good enough. Just 1 question, though: you go all the way to Vegas just to bowl 9 games?

Re: USBC Open - 07/14/09 06:19 AM

Quote:
Wow, sounds like you guys are having quite an experience. I would like to try this some day, when I get good enough. Just 1 question, though: you go all the way to Vegas just to bowl 9 games?

Some people do, when I used to bowl in it, I would bowl in all of the satellite tournaments as well, it would be close to if not more than 20 games.

Re: USBC Open - 07/14/09 06:52 AM

Beefers, there are 2 divisions, regular and classified, and it really is over/under 185 sanctioned average. There is also a Senior Division over 55. So, you have an opportunity to bowl against a reasonably close group in average and age.

In Vegas, I don't know the exact amount of entrants, but let's say there are 120,000 bowlers from all over the Country that you are bowling against, in the same pattern, and can compare your results against. And, you do that in a 5-man team event, Doubles and Singles competitions. So, yes that is only 9 games.

It is kind of humbling, but you know where you stack up against some equal quality, and what it is you should work on.

The added interest is the brackets of many types that you can enter. So, there is a little wagering that goes on too. But, it is a good time for most too get away for a bowlers weekend or short trip.

But, hey, It's Vegas for a getaway with or without your significant other.
http://www.bowl.com/tournaments/usbcopen/national/main.aspx

And, the opening ceremonies are cool. All bowlers march in together, in lane assignment order, and walk to their lanes. The Cashman Center looks massive and intimidating with wall to wall 60 lanes. Reno has 80. You go through a pretty serious ball check-in and weigh procedure. I found a ball 2 oz over in top weight a couple of years ago. You get to rub elbows with the major Ball Mfgrs in their booth, and talk the newest and most improved equipment. Ask questions of the reps, and get a good appreciation for their equipment. All are partial, of course.

After 3 hours of bowling, you go off and enjoy the nightlife of the town, and most have a really good time, even though you may find out you rank 24,345 out of those who bowled. That can be humbling.

http://www.bowl.com/tournaments/usbcopen/National/lowtocash.aspx

These numbers really aren't that intimidating, are they?

Re: USBC Open - 07/20/09 06:11 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15800&f=1

Entering the final week of competition, the excitement of last weekend was generated by tournament rookie Jonathan Schalow of Marshfield, WI, who had games of 299, 255, and 253 in doubles for an 807, the 6th 800 series of the tournament, and PBA Hall of Famer Wayne Webb of Sacramento, CA (Erin probably knows him wink ), who had the 34th perfect game of the Open Championships in his singles event.

Re: USBC Open - 07/24/09 05:25 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15819&f=1

First-timers Robert Carter (636) and Michael Warren (614) of Clinton, NC teamed for a 1,250 to take the Classified Doubles lead with the tournament winding down this weekend.

Re: USBC Open - 07/25/09 05:42 PM

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15822&f=1

A record-breaking 2009 USBC Open Championships are now in the history books. The article linked above has a good recap, including photos of all of this year's champions.

Re: USBC Open - 09/08/09 09:36 PM

Well, it looks like I may not have a team for Reno. I am in charge of my 4 teams next year. I have contacted everyone and so far I have received back 10 people who are not going or have other teams already. Looks like I will be spending my Memorial Day at home next year. At least the wife will be happy.

Re: USBC Open - 09/09/09 06:42 AM

I might have a spot available that weekend on my team. Jonathan my doubles partner (when I could bowl) may not be able to go, he and his wife are having twins due in december, I think he will have his hands full and will most likely not be able to make it. He barely made it last year, so I would be shocked if he made it this year.

The only thing is the team I bowl on is no where near the caliber of bowlers you are used to traveling with, but I'm sure they would be happy to have you. They aren't horrible, but they aren't bringing home any eagles any time soon either, we cashed in 300th place 4 years ago in team and they all usually cash and do ok in brackets.

Let me know if you are interested and I will ask if the spot is available.

Re: USBC Open - 09/09/09 08:39 PM

Thanks Coach. I promised my wife though that if I got on with another squad that I would try to do it a different weekend. She doesn't like her Memorial Day "ruined" every year by me going away. I have a few guys around here who have been asking me if I want to go that I have a spot with them. I'm going to make a few more phone calls/send a few more e-mails to my current teammates and see where they stand. I have a feeling that most of the rest will still go but they procrastinate. They are the reason why we always get the zombie squads.
Posted by: VampyreBowler

Re: USBC Open - 09/25/09 01:20 PM

I've been going out there the last 6 years. Last year was the Tues/Wed following Memorial Day. Every other year was the Tues/Wed before Memorial Day. Next year I'm going out with a different squad and will be going early July which is better for my wife as she works in the school systems and the end of May is very hard for her to get off. When it goes to Baton Rouge, we will be going out at the same time as Mardi Graus which actually falls on Spring Break for her. The guy is is setting all this up has family in that area. In my 6 trips out I have cashed twice in Singles and Twice in Doubles. 2 years ago we got the DVD of us bowling teams and I used that to figure out where I need to play and I felt this years tourney was my most consistant.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 09:42 AM

It' official. My teams aren't going. I was able to get a few of the guys but most of them don't want to go to Reno again. If it was anywhere else, I wouldn't have any problems fielding at least 2 teams. I'm going to wait on the results of my wrist before I commit to a new team though. I went to NM a couple years ago when I was 3+ months removed from ACL surgery. Hindsight I shouldn't have gone. If I have to have any work done on my wrist, I won't go. It's wouldn't be fair to my new team.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 09:49 AM

WHAT!!!!! DON"T WANT TO GO TO RENO!!!

I can't believe that.

Sorry GP, maybe you can find another group to go.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 09:49 AM

Has anyone else heard the rumor that eventually they want to hold the USBC Open in 3 places permentantly? I think I heard they want to rotate it between Reno, Florida, and Texas, once they get that place built.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 10:26 AM

Heard that, but Reno is pretty fixed. Fla has to catch up with facilities. Texas is in the long haul, isn't it. The next 3 are already booked.

Heard Cashman center is scheduled for demo too.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 10:32 AM

Erin:

They have gone so many times to reno that they are just done going there. Me. I love going to Reno. I have a blast every time I go. Of course, my wife says that I could have fun in a shoe box as long as there is beer grin

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 10:36 AM

It is every 3 years in Reno and starting in 2014, every years in Orlando. I haven't heard of it going to Texas every 3 years. Personally, I think that would suck. I have heard that the Arlington area is nice but it would be much better if it was closer to the coast like Corpus Christie.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 10:44 AM

Are there casinos in Orlando and Arlington? Corpus Christie sucks.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 11:30 AM

Are there casinos in Orlando ...

There is at least one in Tampa, a 40 minute drive from Orlando.

and Arlington?

Shreveport is a rather long-ish 3 hours away and has several.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 01:24 PM

My family was looking forward to Orlando in 2011. My daughter will be 6 and the twins 3. With friends and family, I had like 20+ people who were looking to go with us. There is a lot to do in the area. My only thought is that hotels will be really pricey in Orlando.

I like the fact that there will be 2 stationary cities but I think that they need to keep the third open. It's nice to go to different places.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 02:05 PM

I agree with the two locations. Makes it tough for those on the opposite side of the country to participate. But its hard to go against Reno when it has a ready made fascility for the event. Not a lot for kids to do in Reno besides Virginia City and Circus Circus. Maybe BoomTown.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 02:16 PM

Dennis, Corpus Christi was the most fun I have had at Nationals. If it ever goes back to Montana I will not be going.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 02:30 PM

I went down a couple of days early, cause I had never been there before. And, I planned to stay a day later. It rained the entire stay. The downtown restaurants were closed on the weekend, or not worth going to. And, the Casino Barge was down for maintenance.

The best part of the trip was the drive back to San Antonio to catch a flight home. I arrived early, and went to see the Alamo, after I checked my baggage and balls at the airport.

I got on my flight, and came home, only to find my luggage and balls were not on the flight. They caught another, so it wasn't a loss. Just 3 hours waiting for my stuff to arrive.

The town was depressing. Closed store fronts, boarded up windows.

The most excitement I had was that was the weekend was that VP Cheney shot his friend while hunting, and he was taken to the Hospital right down the street. Secret Service and Police blocked the streets, while he was being transferred in. Loved being holed up in the Holiday Inn, on the water, while it was raining. The Hotel was empty. The food terrible. And, it was dull and dreary the whole trip.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 02:39 PM

I'm sorry you had a bad time, I wouldn't blame the town because it rained the whole time.

I stayed on Padre island on the water and had a great time, the food was great, some of the best seafood I have had, sun was out the whole time, I had the opposite time that you had.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 03:11 PM

I can't say that I had a bad time at any of the places I've been to. This year me and my wife lost close to a grand in the casino. But she also had an unknown atr the time stress fraqcture on her heal so we were not able to walk around like we wanted to at night. The last last time it was in Reno, I won enought to buy a new ball and a 4 ball bag. I'm not much on really going out and drinking since I don't drink so the bars and clubs aren't places I'd go to. I do look to see if there are any concerts going on near where I am.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 03:15 PM

I do the same thing, last year we went and saw Dane Cook, the year before we saw Bob Saget.

I'm probably not going this year unless a miracle happens and I can bowl again.

Re: USBC Open - 10/03/09 03:42 PM

If it is ever held in Vegas again, I WILL NOT go. Outrageously expensive and oppresively hot. It was in the 120s when we were there which made it miserable to go anywhere whether by car or foot.

Its difficult to find a venue that can provide the space for the length of time Nationals needs it.

Erin

Re: USBC Open - 10/04/09 03:11 PM

I know what you mean, I bowled in the mega buck tournaments one summer, it was 136 in the parking lot, I could feel myself cooking.

Re: USBC Open - 10/04/09 10:56 PM

Corpus for my group was a blast. We rented a townhome on Padre. We had a 3 bedroom place for 4 of us (2 full baths). We were 20 minutes from the bowl. We were right by a marina. Other friends of ours were less than 5 minutes away. We partied between our places. The other place was right on the beach. On the last full day there, we bowled the 7am D/S squad. When we were done, we went to the dog track. Had an absolute blast. Then went out for a great seafood dinner.

Vegas for me was fun but I would do things differently if I went there again. We had a free hotel off of the strip. Taking the shuttle was a pain and by the time I was getting back to the hotel, I was taking a cab most nights (I should say mornings). On top of that, one of the guys I bowled with got married out there. We were busy doing wedding stuff a good portion of time.

Bowling and the heat were a different story. I had a real hard time getting my fingers/thumb in my equipment. Before we bowled D/S, I had my hand in a bucket of ice on and off for an hour. I about used easy slide on my hand. That is how bad it was. The bowl wasn't that hot but my body was not taking well to the heat.

Re: USBC Open - 10/05/09 08:33 AM

I guess my party was the only one to not have fun in Corpus. See, there just wasn't anything to do if you don't drink. And few of us do.

With the Casino barge being down for the weekend, the place was dead.

Re: USBC Open - 10/05/09 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
If it is ever held in Vegas again, I WILL NOT go. Outrageously expensive and oppresively hot. It was in the 120s when we were there which made it miserable to go anywhere whether by car or foot.

Its difficult to find a venue that can provide the space for the length of time Nationals needs it.

Erin

If you can get a date in the spring, that's much better. I walked around downtown, and even from the Golden Nugget where I stayed to the Convention Center, and it was very comfortable. I can understand it being hotter in the summer, but springtime was great.

Re: USBC Open - 10/05/09 10:56 AM

It would be nice if it were ever to come within half a country of the north east.

Re: USBC Open - 10/05/09 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: cgeorg
It would be nice if it were ever to come within half a country of the north east.

I know how you feel. Though we did drive to Corpus Christi, which wasn't too bad. I just don't understand the airlines sometimes. I live in MD, when I flew to Baton Rouge, me and my partner flew from Baltimore to Laguarda to Baton Rouge.

Re: USBC Open - 10/05/09 03:23 PM

Got one better than that, Vampyre. The airfare from Chicago Midway to Las Vegas NS was $320, I believe. But, since I am closer to Milwaukee, I found a flight there with 1 stop for $230. And, the 1 stop was at Midway, yeah the original flight I looked at.

Airline pricing is confusing.

Re: USBC Open - 10/05/09 03:37 PM

Wow.....2 "trips" for less than the price of 1.

Re: USBC Open - 10/05/09 04:31 PM

So buy the trip with a stop, miss the first flight, and catch the second smile

Re: USBC Open - 10/05/09 10:24 PM

I wouldn't mind Nationals being someplace in the Midwest. When it was in Knoxville in 2003, we drove. We had 6 teams that year cause it was close and people who never go went. The only way it will be back in the Midwest is for a city to go through the bid process. They need to have a large convention center from basically Jan 1 through Aug 1. Plus, there needs to be alleys around to run all of the side tourneys. There is a certain number of hotel rooms that need to be available. And, the #1 thing is $$$. I have thought about looking at the requirements and seeing if the convention center that is 5 minutes from my house is big enough. There are enough alleys around me and hotels. The very first tourney was held in Chicago. Be cool to have one in the Chicago burbs.

Re: USBC Open - 10/06/09 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: cgeorg
So buy the trip with a stop, miss the first flight, and catch the second smile

As I said, I am actually closer to Milwaukee than Midway Airport in Chicago.

Re: USBC Open - 10/06/09 10:29 AM

I'd love to see it come to B-more or DC

Re: USBC Open - 10/06/09 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: VampyreBowler

Me too, but I think there is a better chance of the Orioles or Nationals winning the World Series than either city even thinking about making a bid.

Re: USBC Open - 10/06/09 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
Originally Posted By: VampyreBowler

Me too, but I think there is a better chance of the Orioles or Nationals winning the World Series than either city even thinking about making a bid.

Didn't Baltimore host one year many many many years ago?

Re: USBC Open - 10/06/09 07:00 PM

If so it was well before my bowling career and possibly before I was born. I just don't see them trying now though.

Re: USBC Open - 10/07/09 05:49 AM

Quote:

Didn't Baltimore host one year many many many years ago?

Yes back in 82. It was my first year in adult leagues, and I had no idea how to register to bowl in it, I wish I had though. Information wasn't as readily available back then.

Re: USBC Open - 10/07/09 08:12 AM

CoachJim, that's because Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet.

Re: USBC Open - 10/07/09 10:13 AM

HAHAHAHA

In '82 I was in Okinawa, my dad was stationed there in the army, and I wasn't the least bit interested in bowling. I actually started bowling about 10 years ago. Kinda wish I had gotten into when my dad was doing it so I could have bowled with him. While my dad was bowling, I think his hi set was like 580 something. That would be a bad night for me. After I shot my 2nd 300 I gave him my first 300 ring.

Re: USBC Open - 10/07/09 10:37 AM

Cool.

Re: USBC Open - 10/13/09 09:03 PM

Just found out the dates I'll be out next year....July 10th and 11th. Sat and Sun

Re: USBC Open - 10/14/09 06:06 AM

One of the best days of my life was when I cut school (U of MD) and went to practice, as I was putting my shoes on, my Father walks in (cutting work) and we each asked what the other was doing here and had a good laugh. Then we proceeded to bowl out of our minds, we bowled 4 or 5 games and every game came down to shots in the 10th frame and all games were 230+ (really good for back then especially in that house).

I remember the Angle just came out (first urethane ball ever made) and we each had secretly bought one, (secret from my Mom lol). We both had this big grin as we pulled the new "Secret Weapon" out of our bags and laughed again because we were going to destroy each other with it. I looked at the Angle my Father just placed on the rack, he grinned and said "Yep" I went to my bag and pulled mine out and put it on the return and said I won't tell Mom if you don't. I miss my Dad.

Re: USBC Open - 10/14/09 07:16 AM

Some of my fondest memories are of bowling with my Dad. Glad you guys had the same fun times. Those were great times.

My son won't be able to say that. As, I quit bowling when he was born, and returned when he was out of the house and age 24. Oh, we have bowled a couple of times together, but it was not the same.

Re: USBC Open - 10/14/09 09:31 AM

I wish I could have bowled with my dad. He came in a few times to watch me bowl during leagues. He would also be the one I would call when I would shoot 300 or 800. I miss my dad too
Posted by: beefers1

Re: USBC Open - 10/14/09 02:14 PM

Wow, awesome memories there.

Unfortunately I don't have any family background in bowling (I'm the first in my extended family to take it up). But if I have any children I can look forward to bowling with them someday.

Re: USBC Open - 10/20/09 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Dennis, Corpus Christi was the most fun I have had at Nationals. If it ever goes back to Montana I will not be going.

The steaks @ Billings were the best. Not much else to recommend the place, though.
Posted by: Vic44

Re: USBC Open - 10/20/09 10:30 PM

Can't wait until Reno this year....
Have to figure out what time works best, somewhere between May and July. But my dad lives 90 minutes from Reno, and we will get to bowl for the first time together at Nationals. Good times for sure!! ;-)