Pro Am

Posted by: General Pounder

Pro Am - 06/28/08 08:12 AM

I bowled in a Pro Am last night. Let me just say I had a blast. I bowled with 6 different Pros. First, I bowled with Jeff Carter. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Then I bowled with Derek Sapp. He bowled for Western Illinois and just won a Regional last month. The next 2 I can't remember their names. I have them in the car. Nice guys though. A lefty and a righty. Then I bowled with Dave Traber. Great guy. Lastly I bowled with Brad Snell. Again, really nice guy. After talking with a few of the guys who bowled, the only person who they said wasn't nice was Eungene McCune. Most of the pros took off right after bowling. They are bowling the 8am squad today. I went to the bar and Dave Traber was sitting there. We talked for about another 15 minutes or so until he finished his beer and then he went back to his hotel. I wish that I had time today to go and watch the tourney itself.

Now, to the bowling. We were bowling on the Scorpion. Let me just say that the Pros made it look so easy. Jeff Carter was almost the entire lane with a Rapid Fire (and striking). It was really cool to watch. I shot a 257 the first game. I had 2 non-strikes. I picked my 10 pin but I missed a 2 pin. I had a lot of problems with my thumb hole. I need to get all of them zapped a time or 2. Next game, I lost my line a little and left a 2-8-10 and a washout. The washout I put the head pin around the 10 pin (I hate when that happens). Last game, I shot 237. My only open was a 3-10. I don't think that you could have put a hair in between my ball and the 3 pin. Oh well. 701. Finished 2nd scratch but it is a handicap tourney so I didn't finish in the top 15. There were a lot of point and shoot bowlers. One of the guys on my pair shot a 660something with 160+ pins handicap. He won the tourney with an 829. The best part is that his daughter entered him into the tourney for Father's Day because he wouldn't do it himself.

I got an entry into the tourney for nothing because I am bowling in the sport league in this house. It would have been worth the $80. I paid the $100 and got a Cell. I am going to the Pro Shop on Tuesday before league to talk with my guy about how to drill it. I should have it just in time for the Shark.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Pro Am - 06/28/08 08:28 AM

Hey, that sounds like great fun, and good shooting GP. Traber knows your College buddy Biondo. Did he mention that? I believe they were partners in a tourney I bowled in last April.

Traber really acts like he has the heart of bowlers in mind. I have watched him working with bowlers in the PBAX league at a house near me. I don't know him, but have listened to him counsel bowlers on the shot and their release to match the shot.
Posted by: Brandon510

Re: Pro Am - 06/28/08 11:24 AM

GP Sounds like real fun. Nice Shooting!
Next time they have a proam near me id like to go. I missed the one they had in april with Tony Reyes and Leanne Barrette. Thats hella of deal $100 for cell.

Posted by: desertdog71

Re: Pro Am - 06/28/08 02:13 PM

I am going to try and bowl at the opener in Wichita this season. That should be fun.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Pro Am - 06/28/08 04:14 PM

I'd like to bowl the Pro-Am when the Tour stops about 7 minutes from me. It seems every year when it comes through something comes up and I can't. I know a few years ago it was a no-tap format when it was here.
Posted by: Lefty

Re: Pro Am - 06/29/08 09:36 AM

Nice shooting GP.. have they changed the all the pro-am shots to PBA patterns now? They used to bowl on house shots.
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: Pro Am - 06/29/08 12:47 PM

Nice shooting GP. I think that you have a choice in a Pro-Am, wether you want a pro shot or a house shot..I could be wrong. Anyways great shooting regardless, I hope to bowl in a Pro-Am in the fall when the tour makes its way through the Detroit area.
I just hope I don't embarrass myself..LOL.
Posted by: GunsTariq

Re: Pro Am - 06/29/08 06:36 PM

You do have a choice. I made the choice to bowl on the Viper in Detroit this past season where I paired with Richie Allen, Todd Book, and Dale Eagle.

GP is this a regional Pro-Am you're talking about?
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: Pro Am - 06/30/08 07:30 AM

Way to go GP, it sounds like you had a great time.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Pro Am - 06/30/08 09:26 AM

Thanks guys. It was a Regional Pro Am. We were shooting on the Scorpion. I will hear more about the results tomorrow night at league. I can't remember what we are shooting on tomorrow. I have the sheet in my bowling bag that has all of the patterns and what weeks we are bowling on them. I am more looking forward to drilling up my Cell. I got 3.5oz top weight and a 3 inch pin.