2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY

Posted by: dalion

2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 03/25/18 12:39 AM

Well its opening weekend this weekend, so time to open the thread.

I found a link to get hotel info:

https://book.passkey.com/event/49018275/owner/14227/list/hotels

Our crew will be going up there at the end of June. If anyone else wants to go, we're looking for a few more bowlers.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 03/26/18 01:52 PM

GO GET "EM! I won't be traveling to Syracuse, but best of luck to those of you who are!
Posted by: champ

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 03/26/18 04:39 PM

This is the first year since 2013 my team won't be attending. It was starting to look financially impossible for most of us.

But now that bowling has started, and scores are being posted, I've got the itch. I suspect that sometime before the tournament ends, I'll make a solo pilgrimage and try to get something from the sub board.

I love this tournament (though I'm not at all happy about several recent rule changes) and I don't want to miss it.

Considering on the first day of the tournament a team shot 3000, and an individual had 280/745 in doubles, I'm wondering if scores might be higher this year. That would be a nice break from the extreme grind its been the last three years. Time will tell.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 03/26/18 05:59 PM

Now there's been a 791 and 1441 bowled in the Bowler's Journal.

Adding to my previous comment that it looks like this might be an average raising year.
Posted by: wronghander

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 03/27/18 04:33 PM

My group will be bowling May 23 & 24. Looking forward to this one since it's within driving distance and I probably won't get the opportunity again to bring 8 bowling balls to the tournament. Have my sights on cashing this year in the singles and all events. I wasn't that far off last year.
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 03/28/18 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: champ
Now there's been a 791 and 1441 bowled in the Bowler's Journal.

Adding to my previous comment that it looks like this might be an average raising year.

Bowlers Journal is at a bowling center site this year rather than separate, but similar, lanes at the nationals site, so you likely have a different lane surface, as it's at an AMF center.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 03/28/18 10:24 PM

Its definitely different, but indicative no less.

Furthermore, a very solid team from Detroit (Bill O, Kurt Pilon, Ryan Mouw) just shot 3322 which would have won last year by over 50 pins. Yes, they're a great group, but they left behind a lot of pins.

We're less than a week in. Scores will be good. I've got the itch to go.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 04/07/18 08:39 PM

Only a week later, I'm starting to wonder if 3322 might really be a score to beat.

The way doubles scores have been from the first week, I think it will take 1480 and 820 to win those titles. I think I wrongly assumed that perhaps both conditions would be soft. But Team is proving to be anything but.

Several of the well known teams have already bowled, and struggled in Team event. NABR, who is historically good on the extra tough conditions USBC has switched to, may be the the real barometer. I don't know when they come through.

I wouldn't be surprised if the winning score in Team and in All-Events has already been shot.
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 04/22/18 04:06 PM

I don't have any delusion of scoring at the Open...I have bowled it 17 times and my lifetime average is about a buck65....

my home house put out last years team and d/s shot for some of the boys to get at least a few tosses on something NOT a house shot. I dusted off my Rogue Cell and put a 1k dull surface on it, and my Reign-of-Fire I rubbed down to 500...They looked good on that condition...so they will be making the trip with me. Everyone I talked to said it was hard to get it to wrinkle over there in Syracuse...I don't bowl until July and have a tough shot league coming up that will give me some reps on a difficult condition...higher hopes than I usually tote in the door with me.
I am going a week from Tuesday to watch the guys I was practicing with in the team event. Updates when I get them.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 05/03/18 09:03 AM

OK...here's my review.

I went to watch the buddies bowl the team event Tuesday night. To a man, they tried playing out with no success. Once they moved in to the 4th arrow, breaking it off about 8 they did better. One of 'em shot 264 the 2nd game.
OTOH - and as a bonus, I got to witness 2 teams sponsored by the shop that does my work that I didn't know were going to be there. THEY did MUCH better. All 10 players were out with VERY dull equipment. One started with the front 7 and his team was the only team in the house over 1000 the first game. A different guy started game 2 with the front 8. They finished up over 3000 and in 9th as of when they finished. Not too shabby.

In short, I STILL do not know where I am going to play...LoL, but I am pretty sure it will be with dull stuff.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 05/03/18 03:10 PM

oh yeah....if any of you are going, park in the lot at the corner of State & Harrison Streets...you're welcome

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 05/22/18 08:42 AM

I went and watched last year's champs the NABR team last Friday. One of their bowlers I know personally and have bowled with locally (Mike Rose). Their companion team is completely composed of guys I have bowled with here. They all started with dull/aggressive stuff out, but by the time the lights were on for score they were all already swinging it, though short swings and still outside. By the end of game 3 all of the were at 15 or farther in except for maybe one guy on the companion team. They did have some struggles, but the NABR guys posted a number that sets them in 4th place @ 3217. The companion team did credibly at 2939.

I DID note that the NABRs, to a man, shot their spares straight with shiny plastic or urethanes. The companion team seemed to all throw hooks at their spares (except for the 10 pin). [shrug]

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 05/23/18 08:42 PM

Bowled team today, shot 192, 192, 212 for 596. Had a good look up 8 and got great reaction with my Pyramid Antidote. When it started to read too early in game 2 I switched to my Ridiculous Asym to get it a little further down the lane so I could stay in the same spot.

My problem was spare shooting. 7 opens, all makeable spares. I don't have a spare ball I always thought I could throw my reactive straight but the back ends were really hooking and ran into trouble there. Still happy with my set overall got a chance to cash in all events if I have a good day tomorrow.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 05/25/18 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: wronghander
Bowled team today, shot 192, 192, 212 for 596. Had a good look up 8 and got great reaction with my Pyramid Antidote. When it started to read too early in game 2 I switched to my Ridiculous Asym to get it a little further down the lane so I could stay in the same spot.

My problem was spare shooting. 7 opens, all makeable spares. I don't have a spare ball I always thought I could throw my reactive straight but the back ends were really hooking and ran into trouble there. Still happy with my set overall got a chance to cash in all events if I have a good day tomorrow.

Well done, pal. Good luck with d/s!!

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 05/26/18 03:29 PM

Appreciate that 6-ball. Finished up on Thursday went 217, 178, and 204 for 599 in doubles and 202, 175, 174 for 551 in singles. Threw my Radical Cash drilled double thumb with 500 surface and it worked well. Almost had a six-pack in game 1 with a stone 9 coming after a 4-bagger. Had to be accurate but I felt the pattern was very playable. Spare shooting was better than in teams. Didn't miss any single pins but did miss a few cluster spares unfortunately. But I did convert a washout as well.

Started out with a strong game in the singles block but my wrist device strap came off on a shot early in game 2 and after trying to use it for a couple of frames after that I really wasn't confident in the strap staying on so I threw some soft shots then ended up bowling without it but never got really comfortable either way and ended up with back to back games in the 170s to end it. Disappointed in that but still feel good about my overall performance and ability to compete on sport patterns. I figure to cash in all-events with 1746 and hoping to do so in doubles as well with 1148.

Fortunately got the whole summer to work on bowling without my Bionic. Probably was time for me to move on from that anyway.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 05/27/18 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: wronghander

Fortunately got the whole summer to work on bowling without my Bionic. Probably was time for me to move on from that anyway.

Well done at the nats, pal. Who did you bowl with in Syracuse?
=====

I have gone the other way with a device. I used an elbow tendonitis strap for a coupla seasons after tearing the brachialis tendon in my bowling arm several years ago (at work - not while bowling). I had never heard of it, but it turns out, that it controls the three inside finger - two of which are in the ball of course.
Anyhoo...I felt a twinge in that area while golfing, so I dug out the strap and strapped up for my last 2 bowling sessions and did MUCH better than I had been doing, so I think it will be a fixture indefinitely now...I didn't strap up for my last golf outing, but I think I am going to buy another one and stick it in the golf bag.

Have a great summer, and if going without the device causes too much struggling don't be afraid to buy another.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 05/27/18 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: 6_ball_man

Well done at the nats, pal. Who did you bowl with in Syracuse?

I bowled with a group from the Boston area. We had two teams go out but everyone else was under 1500 for all events. Mostly standard and classified division bowlers and I believe with the new rules for 2019 I would actually be the only regular division bowler if I go out with them again next year. Might be shopping around to see if I can get on a better team. They'd probably be better off getting another standard division bowler in my place anyhow so they don't have to bowl in the regular division in teams.

Originally Posted By: 6_ball_man

I have gone the other way with a device. I used an elbow tendonitis strap for a coupla seasons after tearing the brachialis tendon in my bowling arm several years ago (at work - not while bowling). I had never heard of it, but it turns out, that it controls the three inside finger - two of which are in the ball of course.
Anyhoo...I felt a twinge in that area while golfing, so I dug out the strap and strapped up for my last 2 bowling sessions and did MUCH better than I had been doing, so I think it will be a fixture indefinitely now...I didn't strap up for my last golf outing, but I think I am going to buy another one and stick it in the golf bag.

Have a great summer, and if going without the device causes too much struggling don't be afraid to buy another.

Definitely wish you the best with that. I can't say I have any issues pain or injury wise; the device just allows me to get a stronger release. Without it my fingers and thumb come out at pretty much the same time. Great for dry lanes but that's about it. I have an Ebonite Striker in my bag that I'm going to try and hopefully that will give me the support I need without being too cumbersome. My issue is that I take it off for spares and I'm sure that wears out the velcro. At least the non-robotic ones are cheaper to replace.

Have a great summer as well and good luck on the lanes. Also good luck for anyone else who is going to be bowling Nationals.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/23/18 08:33 PM

Heading up to Cuse tommorow. Bought the new Radical Katanna Dragon. Hoping i can get that to move on what im told is heavy oil up there.

See the low to cash #'s have been posted:
http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/...OCLowtoCash.pdf

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/23/18 09:07 PM

Dragon should be great for doubles and singles. Had no issues getting my Cash to come off the pattern and this ball out hooks the Cash.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/24/18 09:59 AM

Last minute someone backed out so if anyone wants to bowl Wednesday start Tuesday

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/24/18 09:25 PM

On second thought. Looks like we found someone

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/24/18 09:36 PM

So team event has more oil/longer pattern?
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/25/18 04:20 PM

Nice going guys!!

I haven't cashed in 6 years. Course, I haven't gone in 6 years. Not since my knee went out.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/26/18 06:04 AM

Me and my group will be in SYR to bowl this weekend. We bowl team at 11 Sunday and d/s Monday at SEVEN AM!! ugh...8 local guys and 2 friends from Great Britain. I am the weakest player of the 10. [shrug]

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/27/18 09:08 AM

The group I used to go with is there now. They will return by Friday.
Had I gone, I would have stayed to meet you.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/27/18 09:59 AM

Bowled team yesterday. I was told team oil is about 35 feet, while dbls/singles is 48 feet. Those could be wrong, just what I heard.

I started w/ my DV8 rukos skitzo(sp?), mainly cuz my thumb had swelled and the thumb hole there is larger. 1st game was hard to find a shot, but I too did eventually settle in hitting the 8 board and going up an at em. Needed something stronger though so 2nd game I switched to the Kattana dragon. That ball could definitely recover on the back end, shot 234 second game, after having just a 156 1st. Continued w/ the dragon thru the 3rd game but it finally burned me in the 10th w/ a split, leaving me w/ a 168, so 558, not great but not horrible I guess. 6 opens I think? all but 1 were splits.

Bowled 40 frame, but couldn't quite reach 1000. Some of my doubles partners there shot 1100 so I should at least cash in a few doubles, however I got the big whammy so I walked out w/ $120. good enuf for me, anything else will just be gravy.

we'll see how sing/dbls goes tonight.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/28/18 10:16 AM

did NOT bowl well in singls/dbls. Really struggled trying to find a playable line. Tried going up an at em down 8'ish but w/ the longer pattern couldnt get a consistent return to the pocket. So continued to experiment all over the lane. Once u got outside 10, it was headed straight to the 6/10 pocket, whereas in team, my ball could actually recover out there, as long as it wasnt too far out there. Eventually i settled on playing inside, around the 3rd arrow. Had to soften the speed just a bit to get the ball to recover but was finally able to roll off a couple decent games at the end, 206 and 223. Wanted to try to at least cash in singles, which hopefully i should w/ a 597 (168 1st game). low to cash is 594.

Doubles was horrible since i was all over the place but at least it wasnt a 400 series (almost though: 509). Shot 2442 in team so that should cash also. Bowled better last year. You really couldnt hook at spares cuz it was difficult to judge where to play. Some spares shots i thought would work, never even turned, others turned way too much. should of just went straight at all of em, but most of my opens were splits so....

I guess it mostly sucked, but I spose it could of been worse. Better luck next year I guess.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/28/18 12:43 PM

Unlike the Pros, who get to practice on the specific lane condition, Nationals doesn't allow it. It was common for the National shot to be issued to bowling lanes to lay down so the local bowlers could practice on it. That is not allowed today. Our old house, used to put the shot down on 6 lanes for practice each Sunday. It was so popular, we had to take reservations for use.

And, I don't know why? Why should the shot be kept secret til you show up? And, then, not allowed to practice on it?

Unlike a golf green, where you can see the undulation, most can't see the oil on the lane. And, when the lane is buffed, it's even harder.

So, why is the pattern held in secret?

I contend, most accomplished bowlers CAN succeed if they practice on the condition.

Course, I would be told the lane surface under the oil is different for all and humidity affects the oil, or when it is laid down makes a difference. Why all of the mystery?

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/29/18 11:06 AM

I totally agree w/ u. It's not helping us to bowl better leaving it shrouded in secrecy. Not that many ppl can understand the graph's, like for example:
http://patternlibrary.kegel.net/PatternLibraryPatternGraph.aspx?ID=772&VIEW=COM
To me that still doesn't explain how theres an out of bands when theres less oil on the outside. but then I obviously don't know much about oil graphs.

However, isn't the bowlers journal oiled the way one of the events is oiled? I seem to recall back in Reno, for I think $100 your team could practice on the team pattern w/ a pro/coach downstairs in the showcase lanes. Course I think that was the last year we got to see the pattern revealed before the tournament, so that likely wont happen in 2020 when we get back to Reno.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 06/29/18 11:04 PM

When the USBC first announced that the patterns would be kept a secret I didn't like it but after bowling in the Open for the past two years and really following the tournament closely I think it's the right decision. I think it just gives the pros (and top amateurs) too much of an advantage. I think they would do much more with that info than us mere mortals that are competing with them in the regular division.

I think you can prepare for the tournament without bowling on the actual shot as well. I did so by bowling on the house shot and working on accuracy plus playing a few different lines for scenarios that I might run into. There's enough information on the internet about how the pattern plays as well so one can make educated equipment choices before going out there. I'm not sure I would have bowled any better if I had bowled on the actual shot.

Also the Bowlers Journal is on the doubles and singles pattern so technically you can bowl on both patterns prior to bowling the Open since you can still set up a practice session on the team pattern.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 07/04/18 04:24 PM

Keeping a secret is notoriously difficult (impossible). F'rinstance, I went and watched 2 team sessions...it didn't help me any but I had information a lot of others do not have access to. PLUS, no matter how few people know the secret, it will no doubt get out. THE ONLY FAIR way is to publish the pattern beforehand. That is the ONLY way to ensure EVERYone has the same information.
As I said...watching quality teams beat up the pattern didn't help me in the slightest. Again, I had 3 sets under 500, and decided after 2 misses early on to go back to shooting simple spares with a straight/backup ball. My first 2 attempts at simple spares using a strike release with my polished Polar Ice went ok...THEN I whiffed a 7 in the moat just in front of the pin and chopped a 6 offa the 10. So I went back to the tactic I KNEW would work. I didn't have many strikes, but my 2 best deliveries left me a rap10 and a 9 pin. I made one equipment mistake in taking my Rogue Cell, which has been a pretty good performer in previous nationals. I prolly should have had the Onyx Vibe in the bag for at least the end of team event. The Rogue was worthless on either condition. Other than that, ever ball I took got on the rack for an appearance. One of the guys I was with was shy about brackets so I walked him through the process and (unfortunately) he used one of my examples...He was the highest scorer in the building in the team event...660+ He should have had more $ in, but that is part of gambling on your bowling I guess.

It was 100F for the 3 days we were in SYR...Monday afternoon a thundershower rolled through that decreased the temps by 25.

I will keep going, but the "enhancements" make it more difficult to support this show...[shrug]
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 07/10/18 12:19 PM

Here were the patterns:

Team (38', 28.4 mL, 1.96:1 {asymmetrical})

Minors (D/S) (42', 30.69 mL, 2.15:1 {asymmetrical})

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 08/07/18 12:38 PM

Checks arrived, I got $128 buqs. About 1k less than I got last year. course I was bumped up to Regular this year. Better luck in Vegas!

Re: 2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY - 08/07/18 08:45 PM

$98 for me. Cashed in doubles and all events. I'll take it.