2017 National sport adjusted average rule

Posted by: goobee

2017 National sport adjusted average rule - 07/15/16 05:22 PM

OK, I understand the need to take a sports league average and to covert it to a comparable house shot average. However, I don't understand the 2017 Nationals rule which requires adjusting your Nationals average. Isn't that a true average of your bowling on National patterns? Why does that need to be adjusted? It would seem more correct to use either your "book" average or actual Nationals average, which ever is higher.

Thoughts?
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: 2017 National sport adjusted average rule - 07/18/16 11:47 AM

it's because the average isn't compared to the pattern we're bowling on, it's because the average is compared to everyone else.

When everyone else is bowling on pattern A (no matter what it is) and are comparing each other to average B (on a house pattern and thus distinctly higher than on a sport pattern) if you change either one for a small group, it becomes inequal.

It would be like giving that small group a house pattern to bowl on when everyone else gets the closer-to-sport-shot pattern.

Re: 2017 National sport adjusted average rule - 07/24/16 02:22 AM

The Nationals pattern really can't be compared to anything in the "wild". When A list bowlers like Walter Ray struggle, you know it is something special.

Re: 2017 National sport adjusted average rule - 07/29/16 02:01 PM

Yes, true, but going in, all comparison needs to be at least somewhat on the same level.
Posted by: dalion

Re: 2017 National sport adjusted average rule - 07/15/17 03:54 PM

I understand the need for it. I didn't agree with it either.

Some of the bowlers in my group, who really arnt that good, have the adjusted avg of 200+.

BUT, I will say this: I've bowled better in this tourney than I did this year but yet THIS year, i'll make the most $$ I've ever made @Nationals $1200

Where as before my scores were in the regular divisions an in comparison w/ those guys, not very good, but in the middle division, the scores look good, even though adimittedly my scores were avg at best.

Re: 2017 National sport adjusted average rule - 07/17/17 11:57 AM

I know it's not perfect, but do you have any other suggestion? (not criticizing, just asking smile )

Re: 2017 National sport adjusted average rule - 07/17/17 02:30 PM

How about going with 21 games to establish a Nationals only average? During the first 3 tournaments you use the adjusted average rule then your Nationals average after that.

Realistically, I can't see people bagging 3 tournaments to get a fake average. Three years is a long time and will be expensive to do as well.

Re: 2017 National sport adjusted average rule - 07/18/17 11:48 AM

that would work for those who do a lot of tournaments, but for those of us who do not, it would some issues, like how do we get those 21 games? (thought - have a regional center that puts down a "certified" pattern where you can qualify/set average. . . ?)