Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open

Posted by: goobee

Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 02/12/16 02:13 AM

I'm looking to book my hotel accommodations for the 2016 Open. For those who have been there, is the closest hotel near enough for me to walk over pushing a 4-ball and a 3-ball roller? According to google maps, El Dorado and Harrahs appear to be the closest to the Bowling Stadium.

Or should I just drive over and park?

What do you guys do?
Posted by: Doogie

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 02/12/16 02:43 PM

I have never bowled there but have walked around the area a fair amount and I think they are easily close enough to walk.
Posted by: vdubtx

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 02/12/16 03:16 PM

Silver Lagacy, Harrah's and El Dorado are all within walking distance to the stadium. I have parked at Harrah's and walked with 6 balls before.

Past 2 years have stayed at Grand Sierra and Sands Regency. Both times I needed a car. Think we will stay at Silver Legacy this year. One of my team members should be getting us special rates for the amount of gambling he does there.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 02/13/16 01:13 AM

Cool, I'll only have to walk them over once. I'll rent a locker and stick them in there for both days. If I shoot well, I won't mind the walk back over to the hotel at all. smile
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 02/13/16 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: goobee
Cool, I'll only have to walk them over once. I'll rent a locker and stick them in there for both days. If I shoot well, I won't mind the walk back over to the hotel at all. smile

That is the right thing to do. What are your dates? I will be doing team on March 23rd and D/s on the the 24th.

For the record, Harrah's, Silver Legacy, Circus-Circus, and El Dorado are all about the same walk to the stadium. I have stayed at all of them

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 02/13/16 08:55 PM

Ah, you'll be there 2 weeks earlier. We are scheduled for April 9 and 10.
Posted by: David170

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 02/29/16 04:14 AM

Been there a few times to bowl, we walk from the El Dorado. Stayed at Harrahs one time it was even closer. both 1-3 blocks away. Everyone will be walking with there stuff 2. Nothing to worry about.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/01/16 09:14 PM

Yep, I'm all booked at Harrahs. I was leaning towards Circus because it was cheaper but decided I'd rather have a shorter walk instead.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/02/16 04:35 AM

Great call with Harrahs. That was the one I was pushing for. Everyday the hotel gave us 2 for 1 for the buffet. I was out voted thats why were at El Dorado this year. Wish you the best of luck, bowl good and most important HAVE FUN.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/04/16 12:03 AM

Good luck to you too David. Last year was my first time at Nationals. Now that I've gotten the "oohs and ahs" out of my system, I can hopefully concentrate on bowling.
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/04/16 12:09 AM

Might as well use this thread...

Meant to post that the USBC posted the live streaming schedule on http://bowl.com/livestream/ and, as usual, all of the Regular division champions of last year will get coverage, as well as past Junior Team USA members Jake Peters and Geoffrey Young (team), Derek Magno & Joe Conti from NY (D/S), Team USA member Bryanna Cote (team), former Wichita St. players Brent Bowers and Kristopher Prather (team), and USBC Hall of Famer Dave Husted (D/S). Coverage of the Women's Championships is also listed on that page. Sorry, folks, but Riggs and the 11thFrame.com group isn't on it this year.

Unfortunately, this will be the last year for the foreseeable future that there will be live streaming from the Open, as it was thought that later bowlers got an advantage on lane play from watching the live streaming.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/04/16 03:13 PM

Seeing how low the scores were last year, are people really getting an unfair advantage from watching other people bowl? Seems more like "doing something just to do something" to make it appear that the USBC is on top of things. (Insert roll-eyes emoticon)
Posted by: champ

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/05/16 01:30 PM

are people really getting an unfair advantage from watching other people bowl?

Call me a perfect example. I got to watch Matt McNiel live last year. I sat right behind his pair and watched every frame he threw. Didn't miss a single shot of his historic third All-Events Eagle. Not to mention the rest of his group...which for the most part all bowled really well, too.

You'd think I would have picked up something that would help me on the lanes. Nope. Nothing. I stunk.

But I'm just a house bowler who has no real chance of doing anything great at nationals.

How about the PBA and USBC Hall of Famers crowded around studying him as well? Based on their scores, I'd conclude that merely watching a good bowler bowl a pattern, doesn't really give you much of an advantage. Maybe great bowler can get a few decent ideas. But decent ideas don't automatically translate into great scores.

And to further add to the discussion, take a look at Erik Vermilyea's group last year. They were really the first really big name team to stroll into El Paso. Without the advantage of seeing anyone else bowl, the took the Team All Events lead by 700 pins. And the rest of the super-star teams sitting at home watching...didn't even come close to knocking them off the top spot. It was maybe one of the best team performances in the history of the tournament, and it was done without NEEDING to watch other great teams bowl.

All I'm saying is...I think its a tragedy we're losing the livestreams.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/06/16 12:52 AM

You got that right Champ. Publishing the patterns and broadcasting games won't mean a hill of beans for the vast majority of bowlers.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/12/16 05:13 PM

After one week, here are the early leaders:

Regular Division

Team: 5 ITC Bowlers (Johnston, IA) 3,128
Doubles: Will Barnes (Austin, TX) & Kevin Tatrow (Bel Aire, KS) 1,335
Singles: Will Barnes (Austin, TX) 764
All-Events: Will Barnes (Austin, TX) 2,023

Classified Division

Team: Malad Gun Club (Malad City, ID) 2,529
Doubles: Randy Robinson & Crystal Forkner (Higginsville, MO) 1,118
Singles: Greg Kokanour (Highland, CA) 595
All-Events: Greg Kokanour (Highland, CA) 1,612

The Regular Team leaders' effort last night was on the BowlTV stream.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/12/16 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Richie V.

This same group shot 3140 last year to finish 27th. Perhaps that's a good indication that the minor tweaks to the patterns wont be changing the scoring pace too much,

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/12/16 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: champ

This same group shot 3140 last year to finish 27th. Perhaps that's a good indication that the minor tweaks to the patterns wont be changing the scoring pace too much,

If that's the case, and given how friendly the Stadium was to lefties during the WSOB, I wouldn't put it past Matt McNiel to win a fourth all-events Eagle.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/12/16 09:11 PM

If that's the case, and given how friendly the Stadium was to lefties during the WSOB, I wouldn't put it past Matt McNiel to win a fourth all-events Eagle.

Add into your factorization that a lot of experts are saying these patterns may play a tad softer for lefties as well. Oh, and I saw on facebook last night that in his house shot league he's averaging 257 (maybe 258 after just shooting an 818)...so he's obviously bowling well right now. Lots of whispers about him going after Jeff Carter's average record.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/12/16 10:58 PM

Oh, and one more McNiel nugget...bowling in his city tournament he shoots 804/813/816 for a 2433 All-Events. He's red hot right now.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 12:19 AM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326167

Matt Smallin (28, R, Glenburn, ND) has been consistent in his seven Open appearances, this year using subtle speed adjustments to post games of 258, 259, and 268 for a 785 series and the Regular Singles lead. Note: 793 won Regular Singles last year.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 01:20 AM

The trend continues Richie. Matt Smallin shot 2062 lat year compared to his 2060 this year.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 01:42 AM

Hmm, I hope we all don't shoot similar to what we did last year. I stunk like a skunk in El Paso. livid

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 01:45 AM

Hmm, I hope we all don't shoot similar to what we did last year. I stunk like a skunk in El Paso. livid

Me too. Awful. Bowled well in the Bowler's Journal, and stunk in the real tournament.

But I've got some ideas for this year. I just hope they're worth a couple hundred pins.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 01:55 AM

But I've got some ideas for this year. I just hope they're worth a couple hundred pins.

I'm bringing 3 balls that I didn't have last year to combat the tough conditions, the Rebel Tank, OSW and Faball Nail. We are not going to watch my balls make sharp left turns this time.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 04:59 AM

I've been watching the web cams and that one live steam. I'm think tropical breeze and try to play down and in. A lot of people saying it's as rough as El Paso.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 11:31 AM

so would it be wise to bring a down-in and a big hook ball?

I'm planning on bringing my 4-ball stacker. . .

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
so would it be wise to bring a down-in and a big hook ball?

I'm planning on bringing my 4-ball stacker. . .

I think a weak ball with a lot of surface is good idea to have. In my experience last year, strong balls wanted to hook too much, but there was way too much oil for weak balls to be predictable. They'd either never pick up, or they'd have way too much energy at the end of the pattern.

Something like a breeze with 800-1000 sounds like a good idea to me. Enough surface to get it to slow down and tumble, but not a strong enough cover to force you deep inside.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 05:09 PM

Last year I did pretty well in El Paso with my Hyper Cell at 1500 and my Disturbed at 1500 later in the D/S block.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/15/16 08:11 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326193

Robert A. Bures (Mentor, OH), a past doubles champion, was able to share success with his son, Robert J. Bures, as their Wickliffe Lanes team posted games of 1,024, 1,153, and 1,025 to become the first team this year to break 3,200 (3,202) and take the Regular Team lead.

I didn't see it yesterday, but Matt Smallin also added 679 in team and 596 in doubles to also move into the Regular All-Events lead with a career-best 2,062.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/16/16 12:35 AM

I think a weak ball with a lot of surface is good idea to have. In my experience last year, strong balls wanted to hook too much, but there was way too much oil for weak balls to be predictable. They'd either never pick up, or they'd have way too much energy at the end of the pattern.

Agree with this I do. Last year, I was urged to take the shine off my balls which I of course I failed to do. I won't make the same mistake this time.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/16/16 12:41 AM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326203

Robert J. Bures (28, R, Painesville, OH) was far from done after helping his team into the lead, as he fired games of 279, 278, and 258 for an 815 in singles, adding 666 in team and 641 in doubles for 2,122 in all-events, good for the Regular division lead in both. The group leads every event, as Jason Bowles (Euclid, OH) and Matthew Zitnik (Mayfield Heights, OH) shot 712 and 629 to take the Regular Doubles lead with 1,341, and their Team All-Events score is 9,598.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/22/16 10:51 AM

Catching up...

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326206

T-Rays (Jamestown, ND) put up games of 880, 844, and 883 to take the Classified Team lead with a 2,607 total, 75 pins better that the effort that put them in 9th place last year in El Paso.

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326234

First-timer David Kettell (19, R, Lindenhurst, NY) used a 644 singles set to not only take the Classified Singles lead, but also move into the Classified All-Events lead with 1,661 when combined with 528 in doubles and 489 in team.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/27/16 04:17 AM

I cant wait for that middle division in Las Vegas next year.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/27/16 04:07 PM

tip for those following me: take something mediumish with high grit and/or shine for after the shot breaks down...if you get the ball right of 7 at the break it will NOT hit the headpin...plays pretty hooky in ...three sub-500 sets actually returned me bracket money...not enough to pay for my buy-in, but a reasonable number at all shoulda paid decent......good luck y'all

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/27/16 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 6_ball_man
...three sub-500 sets actually returned me bracket money...

Yeah, as bad as I did last year, I actually won a bracket. Goes to show how tough the scores were.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/28/16 12:37 AM

Is what I'm hearing, is El Paso in Reno. The scores are looking low.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/31/16 06:38 PM

The first of the major leaderboard threats, Junior Team USA Support, makes their appearance this weekend. Their minors squad will be on BowlTV Sunday, likely with the team having a chance at the TAE lead.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/31/16 08:31 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326252

Prior to this year, his first Open Championships appearance, the only time David Hjelm (42, R, Wheaton, MN) had seen the National Bowling Stadium was in the movie, Kingpin, but he threw 540 in team, 586 in doubles, and 587 in singles, which, with Gary Sundby Jr's (Dalton, MN) 569, took the Classified Doubles (1,155) and All-Events (1,713 for Hjelm) leads.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 03/31/16 09:42 PM

Next week at this time, I'll be on my way to Reno. Bowl some practice Friday and then the fun begins with Team on Saturday.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/01/16 01:15 PM

Next week at this time, I'll be on my way to Reno. Bowl some practice Friday and then the fun begins with Team on Saturday.

best of luck to you goobee - and we expect a report! smile

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/01/16 02:44 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326281

People who were wondering who the Eddie Byrd of Who's Eddie Byrd? (Ft. Worth, TX) was didn't have to for long after he posted games of 214, 247, and 288 for a 749 series on the way to the Regular Team lead with 3,241. The team also included USBC Hall of Famer Lynda Barnes and 2015 PWBA Rookie of the Year Stefanie (Nation) Johnson.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/04/16 12:56 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326285

If Anthony LaCaze wins a championship Eagle for a record fourth straight year, his Junior Team USA Support 1 team will have to give it to him by winning Team All-Events, and, while they've taken the lead with a 9,672 score, that is well short of their average of 10,131 the last two years. Steve Novak led the team with a 2,019 all-events score.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/04/16 02:09 PM

Last year Jeff Richgels predicted 9600 to win. While Junior Team USA 1 proved him wrong with an incredible performance, there weren't too many other teams to top the 9600 mark.

With how tough the patterns are, how much they're transitioning this year, the new lane panels and topography job, and just how good these guys are, their 9672 just might hold on.

There are maybe three or four teams left that you would expect to maybe put up a better number. But it wouldn't take too much of an off day for even the best teams to fall short of that lead.

I'm saying 9672 is a lot better in reality than it looks on paper. I would not be surprised to see it hold on.

It would take averaging 3225 a set to take the lead. So far, there have only been two 3200s bowled in the Team event, and I would bet there have been zero bowled in doubles.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/07/16 12:22 PM

On the other hand, after a few days of thinking, Matt McNiel must be licking his chops right now. He's been bowling incredibly well lately, and so has his team. Scores aren't high, and that's their wheelhouse. There are a lot of good teams to go yet, but there aren't a lot of GREAT teams.

I'll be there to watch the Lakers bowl live. I bowl the same day, but the following squad. I watched every shot of his All-events win last year, and knew I was watching history unfold, but I have a feeling this year may be even better.

How many eagles does he win?

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/08/16 03:26 PM

Finished up practice an hour ago. The Blend 10 OSW, fantastic ball, it will not run me when I miss left. It gives me a little bit more margin for error I didn't have in El Paso. Outside of 10 is still no man's land, you don't want to slide out there. I narrowed down my balls to 3, none aggressive.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/12/16 09:38 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326323

Andy Mills & Nick Heilman (La Crosse, WI) secured a tie for the Regular Doubles lead after the former converted a 1-2-6-10 washout to put up a 684 series with Heilman's 657 for 1,341. The two are members of the Nicholas J's Pro Shop team that won the 2012 Regular Team title in Baton Rouge.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/14/16 04:44 AM

Didn't think they had it this early, but here are the low-to-cash scores as of Apr. 1:

Regular Division

Team: 2,588
Doubles: 1,050
Singles: 544
All-Events: 1,679

Classified Division

Team: 2,241
Doubles: 919
Singles: 460
All-Events: 1,447
Posted by: dalion

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/14/16 05:13 PM

I've heard that to 'set up' the lanes in the Team event, bowlers should use a less aggressive ball and play down an in and once the lanes open up u can switch to a more aggressive ball an play deeper in. Which could almost apply to every year. Sadly, not every bowler can play down an in.

I'll be heading out there in a lil over a month so hopefully i'll do better than El Paso. Usually Reno is good to me, but who knows.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/15/16 07:05 PM

Breaking via Facebook: Tim Janz has the first 300 game of the tournament, in his 2nd game of singles. Details to come.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/15/16 11:31 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326350

Janz (36, R, Beaver Dam, WI) was a member of the Janz's Home Improvement team that won the Team All-Events title in 2014. The 300 came on the latest date the first 300 has been bowled in the Open Championships since the 1985 tournament in Tulsa, OK, which was also the last time the ABC Championships/USBC Open Championships went without a 300 game.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/15/16 11:54 PM

The 300 came on the latest date the first 300 has been bowled in the Open Championships since the 1985 tournament in Tulsa, OK

I love this part of the story. I personally really enjoy the very low scores of the last two years. I think it really highlights the skill of those who succeed.

I just noticed 2015 had the lowest low-to-cash in doubles in the history of the tournament. The previous low was 1066 established in 1907(!) while the low-to-cash in 2015 was 1065.

It really says something about the skill necessary to post a 1400 winning doubles score when 525 a man will cash.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/18/16 10:02 PM

Last years winners are LIVE right now on the usbc youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL4C892FBA026C78FC&v=t9Q9i8rR7Q8

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/19/16 06:47 AM

Originally Posted By: 6_ball_man
Last years winners are LIVE right now on the usbc youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL4C892FBA026C78FC&v=t9Q9i8rR7Q8

I watched to the bitter end...they threw a credible number, but came up short. Team NABR are tied for 9th.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/19/16 07:51 AM

I watched all of it to, when the guy came on with Matt in the 2nd game. I had to turn the speakers off. He was killing me.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/19/16 03:40 PM

But they're only about 30 pins off Vermilyea's group heading into Doubles and Singles, to try to take the lead in Team All-Events. Hopefully they put on an exciting run today.

But I think the leading team all-events score has a much better chance of holding on than a lot people are giving it credit for. 9600 is a lot bigger than it looks this year.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/19/16 04:40 PM

Catching up...

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326361

Yeah Spare IV (Sacramento, CA) was able to stay focused despite the temporary closure of their bowling center, putting up games of 950, 882, and 824 for 2,656 and the Classified Team lead. Ben Robertson (Lemoore, CA), the veteran of the group with three Open appearances, led the team with a 576 set.

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326366

Joseph Rhinehart III (45, R, Albany, OR) did know if he'd ever bowl again after a tendon injury in his arm two years ago that required surgery, but is now the man to beat in Classified All-Events after 612 in team, 510 in doubles, and 613 in singles.

Low-to-cash as of Apr. 15:

Regular Division

Team: 2,602
Doubles: 1,057
Singles: 547
All-Events: 1,692

Classified Division

Team: 2,235
Doubles: 916
Singles: 461
All-Events: 1,448

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/19/16 11:04 PM

But I think the leading team all-events score has a much better chance of holding on than a lot people are giving it credit for. 9600 is a lot bigger than it looks this year.

NABR shoots 9525 to move into 3rd place.

The stage is set...

Either the Linds Lakers get their third TAE title, or Jr Team USA Support does.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/20/16 12:54 PM

I wouldn't count out Artistic Expressions. Some very good local bowlers from the DFW area who hold the high score for Team event a couple years ago.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/23/16 08:21 PM

vdubtx, I still remember that team...first team to crack 3,600 @ the Open, let alone 3,700.

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326386

The Classified All-Events lead changed hands once again, as Trudy Koberlein (66, R, Georgetown, TX) put up 581 in team, 568 in doubles, and 605 in singles, the first 600 of her Open career, for 1,754. She filled 80 of her 90 frames in the effort, punching out in the 10th in singles to move into a tie for 5th in that event.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 04/30/16 08:10 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326467

Matt Dammann (28, R, Spruce Grove, AB, Canada), who threw the second 300 game of the tournament in his singles event, believes the 9th and 11th strikes of a 300 game are the most challenging, b/c the 9th sets up the 10th frame, and you can relax after the 11th, knowing it's a good achievement anywhere.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/11/16 02:37 PM

Big weekend coming up at the Open, as Jeff Richgels and his 11thFrame.com group make their appearance, as well as top New England amateur Alex Aguiar, who has been an Eagle threat in the past and will be there with his NY-based group.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/11/16 09:34 PM

I think it would be really cool to see Riggs and crew win one more Team Eagle, before the new rules separate their team and age catches up with them.

Its going to have to be Team though. Team All-Events is already won. I firmly believe that. Too many super strong teams have come and gone, struggled and fallen short. 9600 is a lot more than it looks like on paper this year.

I'm calling it. JTUSA Support grabs their 3rd Team All-Events Eagle in four years, boosting Anthony Lacaze to become the first bowler in tournament history to win Eagles in four consecutive years.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/12/16 02:33 PM

Good news: Riggs has arranged to have his group streamed on Facebook Live. If you know where to find him on Facebook, the video should have him tagged once they go live.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/14/16 01:13 AM

Bowling Dynamics from Phoenix just took over the top spot in team with 3300.

I know all these guys and their companion team and (obviously) they are all very good bowlers. I've had my head handed to me by each one of them numerous times in local tournaments.

Their captain, Dave Cirigliano has a few top 5 finishes and two 300 games at Nationals, so this is hardly unexpected. Its a good team with a lot of accomplishments.

I really hope it wins, and I have a good feeling it will. Here's on to Team All Events.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/14/16 02:02 PM

champ, Riggs even enjoyed the performance watching from two pairs away. smile

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/14/16 11:09 PM

What a great weekend to be an Arizona bowler. Bowling Dynamics is lead Team, Team All Events, Dave Cirigliano became the second bowler with three 300s and is second in Regular All Events, and ninth in Singles.

Last year Bowling with Leverage (another top pro shop team out of Phoenix) put up a big Team set, and finished inside the Top 10. Bowling Dynamics companion team, Vice Grips, was inside the top 25.

When I first started bowling, we didn't have a whole lot going on here in Arizona. Then Michael Haugen started wining on Tour, Stu Williams moved to town, Josh Blanchard has made a name for himself. Bryanna Cote set a woman's national record, made Team USA, and is doing well on the PWBA. Our scratch bowling scene got a lot stronger, and with that came a lot of enthusiasm. Good tournaments have been popping up and they're well run, competitive, and growing. And I think we're starting to see the results.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/15/16 07:21 PM

And just like that, they're beaten in Team All Events.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/15/16 08:58 PM

Right, champ, by HornswogglerS out of Staten Island w/ a 9,719. I'll post the Bowl.com article:

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326565

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/16/16 02:45 PM

champ, while I'm thinking about it, I mentioned that you (not by name) thought Junior Team USA Support's 9,600 would hold up to Jeff Richgels, and he reminded me that he thought he had close to a lock twice only to lose; all it really takes is one hot team. smile

Low-to-cash as of 5/15:

Regular Division

Team: 2,630
Doubles: 1,065
Singles: 552
All-Events: 1,710

Classified Division

Team: 2,233
Doubles: 918
Singles: 462
All-Events: 1,452

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/17/16 12:10 AM

Chris Viale's Cambridge Credit group, which usually has Shannon O'Keefe in it, is bowling later than they usually do, the weekend after this weekend (I think). I'm not sure about the rest of their lineup, but joining the group this year is Danny Khuu, who's done well at Junior Gold and who is fresh off of a record all-events performance at the Mass. state tournament. smile

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/20/16 04:32 PM

Per a Facebook post by Matt Cannizzaro, the most accomplished first-timer in the history of the Open Championships, Walter Ray Williams Jr., will make his tournament debut tomorrow night (Eastern time). Walter Ray actually has three decades experience on the championship lanes, but all in the USBC Masters, including two titles at the Stadium.

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326609

An all-female team, We Are Here Anyway (Naperville, IL) shot 2,702 yesterday to take the Classified Team lead. The group, brought together by years of supporting their SOs, was making their fourth appearance.

I don't usually also post about participation milestones, but found this one worthy of mentioning:

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326603

Alfred Jones (81, Southhampton, Bermuda) yesterday became the first international bowler to reach 50 years of Open Championships participation, having bowled his first in 1964 in Oakland, CA.
Posted by: BOSStull

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/21/16 04:45 PM

Go Walter Ray. Love to watch him bowl.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/21/16 08:38 PM

What a big day its been on the lanes already, before we even see what Walter Ray will accomplish.

Have to give a shoutout to another Arizona bowler, Jakob Buttruff, in taking the lead in Regular All-Events. He's another top Phoenix player with a very bright future. Phoenix bowlers are currently 1st, 3rd, and 6th in All-Events.

And we have new doubles leaders, taking the lead by nearly 60 pins after so many great duos came up just short. Their 1401 is probably a winning score. 1409 won last year, and this year the doubles scores have been much lower.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/22/16 10:08 PM

For those interested, Walter Ray shot 1,838 all-events in his debut at the Open, currently good for 537th. His team, Northern Lanes Pro Shop, is 33rd; Bo Goergen, who had the highest series ever at the Open with his 862 in singles in 2009, was one of his teammates, and Sean Riccardi of St. Petersburg, FL was his doubles partner (101st).

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/27/16 12:08 PM

USBC has posted the estimated prize fund, below:

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/...OCPrizeFund.pdf

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/28/16 01:55 AM

For those interested, Walter Ray shot 1,838 all-events in his debut at the Open, currently good for 537th. His team, Northern Lanes Pro Shop, is 33rd; Bo Goergen, who had the highest series ever at the Open with his 862 in singles in 2009, was one of his teammates, and Sean Riccardi of St. Petersburg, FL was his doubles partner (101st).

Goes to show how difficult the conditions are at Nationals if a bowler of Walter Ray's caliber scores are that low. Here's the full low down on Walter Ray's performance:

http://apps.bowl.com/tournaments/usbcopen/national/viewentry.aspx?e=331798369

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/28/16 02:47 PM

Goes to show how difficult the conditions are at Nationals if a bowler of Walter Ray's caliber scores are that low. Here's the full low down on Walter Ray's performance:

http://apps.bowl.com/tournaments/usbcopen/national/viewentry.aspx?e=331798369

I posted the same thing, goobee, just linked on his name. smile

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/28/16 04:02 PM

oops

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/29/16 09:46 AM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326672

Andy Shutt (34, R, Waukee, IA) celebrated 15 years on the tournament lanes by posting the 5th 300 game of the 2016 tournament in singles. Shutt has spent time as an employee of one of the on-site pro shops at the Open, and that helped him get up to speed.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 05/31/16 02:49 PM

Got word from the local paper in Rochester, MN (via Facebook) that Syl Thiel, who had just tied the Open Championships participation record (71 years) earlier in the tournament, has passed away @ 93. frown

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/02/16 09:00 PM

Bowled Reno over the weekend. Yeah it was a tough shot for sure. Bowled horrid in team. Couldn't find a target. At 1st I was moving right to get into more oil. Was throwin up the 7 board at one point (up an at em). When that dried up had to move deep inside. Had to throw between 3rd an 4th arrows to get it into the pocket, course trying to figure that out took several frames an several splits along the way. Ball was just jumping too much and yes I was using my lesser hooking ball. Finished w/ a dismal 476. Fortunetly couple of the other guys bowled well (2 straight ballers) so we will actually cash in team.

Doubles/singles was much more playable. The longer oil helped keep the ball from over-reacting. I was able to get my first 200 gm of the tourney. Did hafta slow the ball down a hair to get it to hook into the pocket though. Just barely got above the low-to-cash line in doubles. If that creeps up any higher, I may not cash in doubles. Should cash tho in singles. Mid to upper 500's is what I shot in both. So looking like i'll cash in every event (cept all events). I guess 1 good thing is I lowered my overall avg so next year I will NOT be bowling in the upper division.

Bowled the 40 frame tourney afterwards just to prove I wasn't that bad of a bowler. Shot 1083 I think, which they told me will cash. Hit the big whammy so I walked outta there w/ $120

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/03/16 12:32 AM

Good deal dalion, I have yet to break 190 in two years. I probably needed to slow my ball down too. I was hitting the pocket but the trajectory was not correct.

There's always next year for me.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/05/16 02:51 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326703

U of O Alumni (Tualatin, OR), which includes a pair of father-son duos, took the Classified Team lead this past week after games of 923, 911, and 876 for a 2,710 total. It was only the second time the group has bowled together despite a total of 39 years experience.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/05/16 04:10 PM

923, 911, and 876 for a 2,710 total.

Very impressive score on those conditions for a classified team. My regular division team barely cracked 2500.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/06/16 11:26 PM

USBC Executive Director Chad Murphy posted some interesting stats about the tournament with almost exactly 2/3 of the teams having made their appearance now, and I'll link his post below:

https://www.facebook.com/chad.murphy.393/posts/10208058550575968

Among other things, he found it odd that Jodi Woessner is the only name that stood out among the 123 bowlers that bowled a 700 series in singles (also counting the lone 800 in the event).

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/08/16 01:48 AM

I wonder when the last tournament with only two 2100s was. And if Buttruff holds on for the win, it would be the lowest winning All Events score since 1988 when Rick Steelsmith won with 2053.

And with scores being even lower than the were last year, what's that say about Robert Bures' leading 815? That's such a big performance, I hope he gets a lot of credit in the press when he wins.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/08/16 02:50 PM

Walter Ray made his Open Championships debut earlier, and, as Riggs posted on Facebook, Pete Weber, fresh off of four consecutive PBA50 Tour wins, will return to the Open for the first time since 1980 this weekend.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/09/16 12:24 PM

And with scores being even lower than the were last year, what's that say about Robert Bures' leading 815? That's such a big performance, I hope he gets a lot of credit in the press when he wins.

The day after I say this Matthew Gilman shoots 814. That's the highest non-winning singles series since 2011, when Matt Weggen shot 826 to win and Kristopher Prather had 818 for second.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/10/16 03:34 PM

Catching up...

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326771

Justin Dunn (23, R, Deland, FL) helped his Team Harvey II team overcome a slow start by putting up a closing 300 game to leave his team just outside the top 10 (3,090).

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326777

Chet Wigal III (29, R, Groveport, OH) confesses to having his love for the sport dwindle, but he may have found renewed enthusiasm after putting up a 661 set to take the Classified Singles lead.

I'm slacking a little bit, too...here are the 6/1 low-to-cash scores:

Regular Division

Team: 2,637
Doubles: 1,067
Singles: 553
All-Events: 1,714

Classified Division

Team: 2,229
Doubles: 915
Singles: 462
All-Events: 1,451

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/11/16 03:18 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326787

BowersBowlingTour.com (Bel Aire, KS) put together games of 1,004 and 1,178 before closing with the highest team game to date in the tournament, an 1,195, to finish with 3,377 and take the Regular Team lead. The members of the group are all former Wichita St. Shockers.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/11/16 10:38 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326790

The members of BowersBowlingTour.com averaged 211 in their minor events and needed a clutch finish in singles from Brent Bowers, who doubled at the end, to secure the Team All-Events lead with 9,730. Zach Rhoades led the way with a 2,035 total. FYI, Linds Limited of Milwaukee (2009) was the last team to win both the team and TAE Eagles in the same year.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/12/16 08:32 PM

[quote=champ]...Matthew Gilman shoots 814. That's the highest non-winning singles series since 2011, when Matt Weggen shot 826 to win and Kristopher Prather had 818 for second.

Its at least a little bit interesting that the day I mention Kris Prather, his team marches in and shoots a behemoth number in team, and the next day takes the lead in team all events.

Sad to see my Phoenix guys get knocked out of the lead. Particularly since that happened Friday, and Saturday Dave Cirigliano was on site at the Arizona State Tournament. I'm sure he heard about the lead change more times than he'd like. He's gracious about it, but certainly salt in an open wound.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/13/16 04:46 PM

This is actually about next year's tournament, but Riggs posted on his blog that the USBC has modified/clarified the professional participation rule for next year. Now, a PBA or PWBA Tour winner who either is a member now or was when the title was won cannot bowl in team or doubles with another PBA or PWBA cardholder, who would have to drop his/her membership before the start of the next USBC year (by July 31) in order to remain eligible to bowl on that team.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/18/16 12:11 AM

http://www.bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326837

Higgy's Aquarium (Westerville, OH) used a strong performance from Chad Roberts (2,122 all-events) after just missing taking the Regular Team lead to take the Team All-Events lead with 10,041, the first team to break the 10K team all-events mark this year. Chad Roberts also just missed the Regular Doubles lead with team captain Dan Higgins.

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326843

Brandon Novak (27, R, Chillicothe, OH) bowled the first 700 of his Open Championships career in doubles, a 703, then followed that up with an even better 742 in singles, adding 688 in team to take the Regular All-Events lead with 2,133. Showing his ability to handle pressure, he needed two strikes in the last frame in singles for the top spot and delivered three flush strikes.

Low-to-cash scores as of 6/15:

Regular Division

Team 2,634
Doubles 1,067
Singles 552
All-Events 1,712

Classified Division

Team 2,228
Doubles 915
Singles 461
All-Events 1,450

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/20/16 02:56 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326854

Former national collegiate champion (Wichita St.) Jesse Buss (31, R, Belvidere, IL) made a ball change after a 199 first game in singles, and it carried him to the 7th perfect game of the tournament.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 06/25/16 03:07 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326896

Like many bowlers who have major surgery, Robert Kruzic (54, R, Chicago Heights, IL) wondered if he'd ever return following back surgery last August. He no longer has to wonder, as he posted 621 in team, 621 in doubles, and 590 in singles for 1,832 and the Classified All-Events lead.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 07/09/16 12:26 PM

Wow, Low to cash in doubles really made a jump. Looks like I wont cash in doubles

Low to Cash
As of July 8, 2016
Regular Division
Team 2,634
Doubles 1,079
Singles 559
All-Events 1,680
Classified Division
Team 2,285
Doubles 935
Singles 474
All-Events 1,425

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 07/12/16 03:11 PM

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622327079

In the twilight of the tournament, the USBC disqualified several Classified division bowlers for using unreported Sport averages as Standard averages, and the disqualifications affected the leaderboard in the Classified division, as there is a new all-events leader in the division following the action.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 07/13/16 03:32 PM

http://www.bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622327085

The article above is the USBC's recap of the tournament, including all of the Regular and Classified division winners. Photos of all of the Regular division champions (including Team All-Events) are in the article.

Re: Reno Bowling Stadium - 2016 Open - 07/31/16 02:43 PM

A few days late, but here are the final low-to-cash scores:

Regular Division

Team: 2,632
Doubles: 1,077
Singles: 557
All-Events: 1,678

Classified Division

Team: 2,284
Doubles: 934
Singles: 474