Scotch Doubles?

Posted by: slaterracing

Scotch Doubles? - 02/07/12 03:24 PM

OK I am bowling a scotch doubles tournament on sunday with one of my league teammates. Have not done one of these so just making sure i know how it works. So if i lead off and strike then she would throw the next ball and i would have to pick it up. Now then does she throw first until she strikes or after i would pick up the spare do i throw again? kinda confused on that.
Posted by: vgnano420

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/07/12 03:30 PM

Scotch doubles - A team doubles game in which player one will roll the first ball of every frame and player two the second. Because securing a strike means player two will not have a roll, pairs usually alternate their positions after each game.
Posted by: vgnano420

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/07/12 03:33 PM

. Scotch Doubles format will be used: Partner #1 throws the first ball. Partner #2 shoots the spare. If Partner #1 gets a strike, then Partner #2 throws the first ball of the next frame, and Partner #1 will shoot the spare, and so on

Hah I can see why you asked the question now, I guess there are different ways to play this game.
Posted by: dgordon0408

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/07/12 03:47 PM

the way we play scotch doubles at my house is the second way that vg posted

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/07/12 04:08 PM

Ya it has me a little confused as to if the order stays the same until the one person strikes then it changes.
Posted by: Doogie

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/08/12 10:38 AM

If you don't mind me asking where is this scotch doubles tournament at? Do they have information on it online?

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/08/12 05:18 PM

It is at Merle Hay lanes in Des Moines Iowa. Here is a link to the info on it.

http://merlehaylanes.com/documents/scotch_doubles.pdf
Posted by: JW123

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/09/12 10:40 PM

Only time I ever played Scotch Doubles, it was the players alternated shots throughout. So if you strike, your partner throws the first ball of the next frame. A 3-ball 10th frame means the person who led off the 10th (and threw the 3rd ball) will not lead off the next game.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/10/12 08:44 AM

Agree with JW123. You just continue to alternate turns. No bowler rolls 2 consecutive balls.
Posted by: Doogie

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/14/12 08:39 AM

How did the tournament go Slater?

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/14/12 08:52 AM

Not to bad. It is def a little odd picking up someone elses spares. We thru 6 games total and alternated every shot. So each person never shot 2 times in a row. Plus we changed our pair of lanes every 2 games so that was challenging as well. But it was a good time and had fun.
Posted by: dgordon0408

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/14/12 10:46 AM

Worst thing you can do for scotch doubles is pair up with a lefty if you're a righty and vise versa, I paired up with a lefty girl for an in league scotch doubles thing and I was able to find the pocket but she couldn't get a good look and left me a bunch of 5-10 to shoot at

Re: Scotch Doubles? - 02/14/12 11:01 AM

Ya i thght abt that as well. Would def be tough shooting at spares you would never normally have to shoot at.