New plastic pins at 2001 ABC National Championships

Posted by: Hoosierbowler

New plastic pins at 2001 ABC National Championships - 02/20/01 06:24 PM

I really wonder just what the sound of the new plastic pins is like.
I hope it is'nt like the sound of college baseball with the aluminum bats, and their tink.
There is nothing to compare to the familiar sound of an all in the pit strike.
Posted by: Rocket Jr Coordinator

Re: New plastic pins at 2001 ABC National Championships - 02/21/01 02:57 PM

I had the opportunity to bowl on them at the BJI tournament last year, and watched others bowl the Brunswick Get in the Zone Challenge. They take a bit of getting used to. They definitely seemed to slide more, although they are supposed to be identical to the regular wood pins.
Posted by: The Fish Bowl

Re: New plastic pins at 2001 ABC National Championships - 05/16/01 03:29 PM

The center I bowl at put them in a pair of machines to test. They seem to be the same as wood. They still haven't decided if they're going to buy them for next year or not. I personally don't care either way.
Posted by: Pizzaguy

Re: New plastic pins at 2001 ABC National Championships - 05/18/01 04:23 PM

Scoring wise, the Twister pins are the same as the wood pins. However, the way you get the scores is a little different.

Light hits seem to carry much better than the wood pins. These pins seem to really fly around the lane. This is balanced off by leaving a lot of solid 9s (8s for lefties). I think this is because the ball just doesn't seem to deflect as much and drives through much stronger. High flush on these pins is running the risk of the solid 4-9.

The sound is a little different, but after a few games, you don't really notice it.
Posted by: School Yard Bully

Re: New plastic pins at 2001 ABC National Championships - 06/26/01 11:33 PM

I don't know about the ABCs but they are using these things at a center I usually bowl at. The noise they make takes a getting used to. I don't care for them as much as wood pins since they don't move the same way. My average has gone down since they put them in!