AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament

Posted by: AmpleSound

AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/20/10 09:38 AM

Is anyone else involved in this thing? I signed up for the first round back in October, and I'm currently #1 in my house division A at +149. Bowling center is AMF Sonesta best search is Westminster, CO.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/20/10 05:41 PM

Nope, not currently bowling any leagues in any AMF centers. Won't even step into one to practice since they want to charge too much for a game.
Posted by: HughScot

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/20/10 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
Nope, not currently bowling any leagues in any AMF centers. Won't even step into one to practice since they want to charge too much for a game.

I bowl in an AMF center and they are equal or low in price compared to other centers in the area.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/20/10 08:18 PM

It's about $5 a game and a friend of mine who is bowling in a league in one center and goes to practice there since it's the closest house to him says they aren't even giving him the league discount. The center I bowl league in, I only pay $2, maybe $2.25. Even when I wasn't bowling league there I paid that price.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/20/10 09:30 PM

Way to go Ample!!!!

I don't bowl in AMF centers either. They are too expensive and impersonal compared to our local privately owned centers.
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/20/10 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
It's about $5 a game and a friend of mine who is bowling in a league in one center and goes to practice there since it's the closest house to him says they aren't even giving him the league discount. The center I bowl league in, I only pay $2, maybe $2.25. Even when I wasn't bowling league there I paid that price.

League discount in the AMF places here in camp Roch-cha-cha is $1.65.
Not too shabby but they will fight with you if you want 2 lanes.
LoL
Posted by: beefers1

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/20/10 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Way to go Ample!!!!

I don't bowl in AMF centers either. They are too expensive and impersonal compared to our local privately owned centers.

What do you mean by impersonal? What kind of personal service do you get at a bowling center?

Here, I find it kind of strange. The smallest centers usually have the lowest base prices, but don't usually give discounts or have promotions. The larger centers have higher base prices, but with various discounts and whatnot you rarely pay that price. Then there're a couple of corporate-owned places that are just flat-out expensive.

I only know of two centers that give league discounts. Both charge $2.50 for league members, I think.
Posted by: Mattdean76

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/21/10 03:09 AM

Yea, I qualified for that, they kept begging us to sign up for it, so I think tried 3 times, and qualified once at like +70 ish? I know I was in the top 10 in my average division (180-199), but they haven't told us anything about it since then.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/21/10 06:41 AM

Quote:
What kind of personal service do you get at a bowling center?

Well, around here the privately owned centers hold onto their managers for more then a year or so. Many of their managers actually bowl or have bowled league in the past. In fact most have been in their position for over 5 to 10 years. You get to know them, because most are actually there in the center and able to talk to. Some even go to our local association functions.

I tend to see employees that stay longer, and therefore learn their customers' habits in drinks and food ordering as well as bowling. Most of them actually know my first name.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/21/10 12:09 PM

Way to go Ample!!!!

Thanks Erin! Your AMF's sound like our Brunswick's here. LOL Though I do agree the privately owned centers are pretty good, there aren't any very close to me. All 10+ miles away. Where there is a Brunswick, and a few AMF's within minutes of my house.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/21/10 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Mattdean76
Yea, I qualified for that, they kept begging us to sign up for it, so I think tried 3 times, and qualified once at like +70 ish? I know I was in the top 10 in my average division (180-199), but they haven't told us anything about it since then.

Well if you bowled that back in the first round then you need to check the current standing sheets to see where you stand. The center finals will start February 22, and conclude on March 7. Then onto district finals, March 21-22, and from there onto Vegas, April 15-17.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/21/10 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: AmpleSound

Well if you bowled that back in the first round then you need to check the current standing sheets to see where you stand. The center finals will start February 22, and conclude on March 7. Then onto district finals, March 21-22, and from there onto Vegas, April 15-17.

Last week I was tied for 9th in my division. Not as many people went into it, Isn't it like the top 50 qualify for the center finals? They didn't tell us a whole lot of info on it.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/21/10 05:12 PM

Way to go Ample!!!!

Thanks Erin! Your AMF's sound like our Brunswick's here. LOL Though I do agree the privately owned centers are pretty good, there aren't any very close to me. All 10+ miles away. Where there is a Brunswick, and a few AMF's within minutes of my house.

I bowl at a Brunswick house pretty much exclusively right now. They had the same manager for several years until they promoted him out and brought in someone else two years ago. The first manager was a real bowler who took real pride in the game, took care of the leagues as well as his workers. The new manager bowls, but I don't think knows all that much about it, many of the workers quit that had been there. He was terrible at ordering for the center, and wouldn't stand up for the workers when he should have.

It's still better to bowl there than AMF. They fired all the managers but one that were real bowlers, not just people that threw balls down the lane, for people that know nothing about bowling other than throw the ball at the pins. The one they kept kind of rotates around different centers and ends up at the Country Club Lanes when the PBA comes to town.

As for independent centers. The closest ones to me are close to an hours drive away.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/22/10 09:30 AM

Last week I was tied for 9th in my division. Not as many people went into it, Isn't it like the top 50 qualify for the center finals? They didn't tell us a whole lot of info on it.

I think it depends on how many people signed up, but yes the top 50 make the center finals. Then from there the top four make district finals. Lastly the winner of district finals goes onto nationals. This is for all divisions of course.
Posted by: Kilgore Trout

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/25/10 12:00 PM

AMF = Another Manager Fired

However, the league bowler discount at our local AMF house is quite reasonable. I certainly couldn't afford to bowl there without it. Also, the personal service is excellent. Everyone there knows our names and habits.
Posted by: Methus

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 01/27/10 08:51 PM

The center I'm in has about 4 people qualified for the open division. Woot. i'm +97 for the open division so going to move onto center automatically.
Posted by: Jai

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 02/02/10 02:10 PM

Is anyone else involved in this thing? I signed up for the first round back in October, and I'm currently #1 in my house division A at +149. Bowling center is AMF Sonesta best search is Westminster, CO.

I bowled the shootout at Sonesta last summer and the one before. I'm actually bowling 2 leagues at Arvada right now, I'm in the lowest division (sadlbut I bowled 161 over my average. Sucks since there's no lower limit in my division I'm bowling against bowlers with 100 average and shoot a 500 series to beat me easily. I'm hoping I make it, I'll be out in Vegas that weekend for my cousins 21st birthday anyways so hopefully I'll be there to bowl as well.

What's your name btw maybe we know each other?

AMF $500,000 Tourney - 03/02/10 03:04 AM

Has anyone entered this tournament?

http://tournament.amf.com/Pages/Index.aspx

I qualified for the center finals and had the night of my life last week I am in first of the 50 potential qualifiers at +192 (it should be +176), but either way, it puts me in first place with a week to go. If my score holds, I go to the district finals with a chance to go to vegas if I can place in the top 3, but I am not overly confident in that much prowess.

Anyone else in?

Re: AMF $500,000 Tourney - 03/02/10 09:29 AM

Yeah I'm in it, made a post awhile back. Hoping I get a second chance this Saturday for the center final as I was only +22. Need to be +100. I'm in the Division A bracket. Though I screwed up my shoulder Saturday night after bowling, so I'm not sure what may happen. Either way I'm going to bowl it again if they let me lol.
Posted by: J.Brown

Re: AMF $500,000 Tourney - 03/02/10 11:34 AM

I just did my center final yesterday i only shot a 550 and my average was a 186 i threw the paper away it wasn't even worth turning it in. I needed to be +130 at the least which isn't possible with that score. And shooting a 700 or close to it in our center has been impossible it SUCKS the oil pattern has been different every single week for the last 3 months which i figure they are messing with the oil cause of this tourney. The tournament i go to at one alley around here he lays down kegel shots and i have a easier time finding a line on those then i have at the AMF house around here.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 03/02/10 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Jai

I bowled the shootout at Sonesta last summer and the one before. I'm actually bowling 2 leagues at Arvada right now, I'm in the lowest division (sadlbut I bowled 161 over my average. Sucks since there's no lower limit in my division I'm bowling against bowlers with 100 average and shoot a 500 series to beat me easily. I'm hoping I make it, I'll be out in Vegas that weekend for my cousins 21st birthday anyways so hopefully I'll be there to bowl as well.

What's your name btw maybe we know each other?

Right on man, name is Gregg. I practice over at AMF Arvada usually to get away, and guarantee there being a lane for open bowling. Brenda is awesome, the staff is great too. I hadn't bowled there for awhile as there was an incident on New Years day 2009 and I just wasn't able to get past it for awhile. Finally got into going back and it's nice to see the same faces there!

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 03/07/10 05:37 AM

Well, Im in the District Finals for sure. They have me listed at +194, but I think it should only be +176 (737 series on a 187 book average from last year), either way, I was top qualifier in division A, so that is at least $100 for me. March 20th is our district finals, and I just found out where, so I am going to head down there to roll a few games to get a feel for the place. I'm pretty psyched just to have the opportunity to represent my center. I wonder if they have a dress code, cause I just wear shorts and a tee shirt to bowl, I have no formal bowling wear lol.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 03/08/10 10:27 AM

Well best of luck to you Mattdean! I blew it, so no District Finals for me...
Posted by: sdavis63

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 03/08/10 01:37 PM

If the AMF website standings is current, I made it by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin, 3rd in B class. I'll be going to KC next weekend to win district!

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 03/08/10 03:45 PM

Well congrats, and best of luck to you as well sdavis!

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 03/11/10 05:38 AM

Thanks Ample, good luck sdavis too! Maybe if we make it we get shirts with bowlingcommunity.com on it.
Posted by: sdavis63

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 03/11/10 12:10 PM

Thanks Ample and good luck to you as well Matt. I'll be looking for my 2x bowlingcommunity.com shirt in the mail to wear in Vegas!

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 03/25/10 09:10 AM

So much for me. I finished 19th of 38, I was about -20 for the 4 games. I shot 147 on a 187 average the first game. Pretty much killed me. after that I went 191-157-220. Missed all 5 10 pins I shot at. Missed a 4 pin and 2 6-10s. Struggled to find anything till the 4th game. Frustrating, especially knowing someone who I was bowling with was not re-rated and was averaging 226 in a non sanctioned league, but had a 199 average for this tourney some how. You could tell he was better, still was fun overall to do minus the bad shots, So much for that. smile

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 03/25/10 09:33 AM

I just hope they do this again next year! LOL

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 04/03/10 05:33 PM

They actually said they are going to make it a yearly thing. smile

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 05/14/10 03:16 AM

Just got my $126 check, woohoo! Well worth the $13 I paid to get in.
Posted by: dmlawyer

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 06/06/10 01:50 PM

This event bothers me a bit in that it is ripe for sandbagging.

I bowled in it and made it to the District finals and either people there had the luckiest string of their lives or they held their averages down in the early part of the year.

I person that I observed that had a listed average in the 140's consistently was in the pocket every frame - and it was her home lanes to boot, giving her an addtional advantage.

Great concept for a tourney, but a few bad apples can mess it up for everyone else.

Re: AMF $500,000 In-League Tournament - 06/07/10 10:58 PM

Same with any tournament. I am so burnt out of tournaments due to the fact that in...every...single....one....there are those that come in 50, 70 100 pins below their ability and blow away the competition.

Most lately was a lady that bowled in the SP tournament, came in at like 60...yes double digits.....60 average and just ran over all the handicap brackets and such.

I'm so done with tournaments. Seems every one has a similar story.

Erin