anyone ever do virtual tournaments?

Posted by: sharnothegreat

anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/12/09 08:19 PM

i stumbled across a virtual tournament website when my league posted the scores to league secretary and it seems pretty cool. has anyone tried these before? im also going to be joining my very first real tournament in december, its a handicap tournament that i think with my low average i can do well.

well thanks for any info
Posted by: leftykev

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/12/09 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: sharnothegreat
i stumbled across a virtual tournament website when my league posted the scores to league secretary and it seems pretty cool. has anyone tried these before? im also going to be joining my very first real tournament in december, its a handicap tournament that i think with my low average i can do well.

I've used virtualtournaments.com, and have cashed on a regular basis. But, the apparent advantage you get by getting to bowl at your house and best/favorite league is not really an advantage, since the other bowlers on the site get the same advantage. Why is this important? Well, if you bowl in a house with an east shot, then great, but if you bowl in a lower scoring house, then you are at a disadvantage, since there will be guys like me, who enter these online tournaments because I bowl in high scoring house.

Anyway, take a look at the scores for past and current tournaments, and decide for yourself. Also, price wise, it will be cheaper then entering a local tournament.

Lastly, that's why they call it gambling!

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/12/09 10:49 PM

yeah i have looked at some of the past tournaments, and i think i could do well with how i bowl. so i joined up for next week, bad part is my league doesnt upload our scores until weeks later, so i have to manually get the recap and fax it off.
Posted by: Vic44

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/12/09 11:25 PM

Interesting concept, but the house flavor shot of the moment would make it a bit harder for me to accept my placement.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/12/09 11:46 PM

yeah im new to the game so i dont know any other houses.

Leftykev since you have played before how does it work? my avg for the league after last night will probably be 153 so that means i will be placed in the under 169 division right? even if i bowl over that avg that night ?
Posted by: Jay R.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/13/09 01:23 AM

If you didn't bowl last year and don't have a book average I believe you have to have 24 games or so before you can participate. I'm sure that's not a problem unless your league started really late. Then they will take your current average and whatever it is as of Monday that the tournament starts is what will be used. If it's below 169 then that's the division you will be in, and handicap is based on 90% of the highest entering average in your division.

I have not done any of the tournaments but I'm pretty caught up on the rules. My advice is if you do it, at least do the eliminator pot as well. Make sure to look at scores from past tournaments to get a feel for what you might have to bowl in order to cash.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/13/09 08:23 PM

yeah i have 24 games so far, and i will definately be below 169 since my avg is only 150 but i think it will be 153 after this weeks good night gets calculated in. i signed up for next week but did not do the eliminator just cuz i didnt want to spend anymore money, but since you say i should, could you elaborate as to why just so i can learn. also i feel like i could do really well if i can bowl like i did this past wed. i shot a 550 series so plus my HC which on the low side it could be 11 each game i could have a 583 which would have won a few of the tourneys i checked. im excited, i just hope i can continue with my decent bowling.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/13/09 09:59 PM

I only say to do the eliminator because it's the easiest thing to cash in, I hear. The brackets and the tournament itself might be more challenging but if you do well in all your games the odds are pretty good.
Posted by: lewtrek

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/13/09 11:22 PM

how do these actually work? If i'm in a usbc league can i join a virtual tournament individually? Or does the league have to be in some sort of virtual-bowling network?

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/14/09 12:16 AM

you can join but you just have to manually get the copies and send them in a fax to the people. if your league uploads the scrores to league secretary it makes it easier for you but no big deal. just go to the website and check it out

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/14/09 01:04 AM

Yeah it'd be super easy for me to do it since my league uploads to league secretary, but I bowl saturday nights and it's not updated until the following wednesday or so. I believe scores have to be in and verified by Monday morning.

Sharno, if you're constantly improving you should do great. I know someone that puts something like $150 in it each week. I think he enters in for both of his leagues, and does the eliminator and 10 brackets for each. Some people put more money in brackets because they bowl so well the odds of winning or at least placing are good.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/14/09 09:26 AM

wow 150 a week ? well how much do they get back ?

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/16/09 09:00 PM

well our tourney for this week just started and i can finally see what i im up against avg wise and im confused cuz some of these people have high avgs from the previous seasons (i cant see this seasons avg til they post their scores) a few of them are over 200 and a few more over 175 and 180. this worries me since these guys will probably bowl way better than me, i read that if you are in the wrong division then they will move you into the right division but why would those people even join the lower div than they need?

anyone know anything about this situation?

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/17/09 12:27 AM

Well, just one time that I can think of they got $170+ back one time. So the return isn't that good unless you do quite well. I think he told me once that there's some people that put in $500 per week or something. It's quite the gamble when you do that but I guess if you're really good and/or you bowl in a high scoring house it can pay off.

I just looked in your division(169 and under) for this week and there's no one there that's not supposed to be. It's probably too early to tell, but your odds of cashing definitely seem good if you shoot around 500. You get 43 pins of handicap if your average is 153.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/17/09 09:58 AM

im not sure if you looked at the right one, the one i joined was the one with 25 people in it. and theres some guys on there with a previous league avg of 200+ and some with 175+ now i know that is the previous years avg but i did find at least one of them in a different tourney and he shot like a 660 scratch, so that makes me nervous lol

after looking through the past tourneys i am pretty sure those people i mentioned will get bumped up to the next division because i dont see any of them in past <169 tourneys but i do see them in the 170 -199 so i think ill be ok and have a good chance.
Posted by: VampyreBowler

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/17/09 10:37 AM

I did one of the free ones they were running over the summer a couple years ago and won a free spot in one. I used that like a year later, got like 23 back, did another a year after that and got like 25 back. So as of right now I'm at like 31.58. Just debating on when I'll do it again.

I also bowl with the number 5 and number 11 all time winners in money for Virtual Tournaments

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/17/09 04:01 PM

wow i never looked at that list! these guys actually make some decent money doing this. how do your friends make so much money? multiple leagues and enter a tourney for each one? and how much money do they put in each week ?

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/17/09 09:15 PM

Oh yeah, I was looking at the wrong one. I was looking at the End column thinking that was when the week started, so I was looking at last week.

I do see some people there with averages that are too high for them to be in that division. So they will just get moved to the appropriate one when the admins catch it.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/17/09 11:08 PM

yeah the numbers are already going down we started at 25 and now its 23 so 2 got bumped so far and im sure more will, unfortunately the pot will go down and probably only 3 or 2 will cash, theres a guy on there that bowled a 582 which is something i have never bowled but my handicap hopefully will help me smile

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/18/09 12:43 AM

Yeah you pretty much have to bowl over average, that's how most of the people who do well get their money.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/18/09 12:58 AM

yeah, if i can bowl like i did last week i should do well. i did practice tonight at a different house cuz i go to the pro shop guy there, i basically just bowled didnt really "practice" anything in particular and i did pretty well my first 3 games i bowled a 540 something and then the next 3 games i bowled a 564 with a 220 which was awesome. funny thing was it was laser bowling which i didnt expect when i got there but it was more challenging to see the arrows so maybe that will help idk lol. it was only 5 bucks to play as many games you want til they close so i def took advantage of that. well anyways i play tmw so i will keep you updated with how i do. wish me luck

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/18/09 01:49 AM

I look forward to knowing how you do. Good luck.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/18/09 10:30 PM

hahahahaha, all i can do is laugh at myself! i kept saying to myself "yeah im gonna win this tournament easily, i did well last week i just gotta do it again" well let me tell you.........
I SUCKED SO BAD !!!!! i bowled a 440 ! frown i cant believe it i just could not find the line, it was terrible. oh well theres always next time

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/18/09 11:41 PM

Wow tough break. At least you can laugh about it smile. That's why I won't do the tournament unless I do well for a certain amount of weeks. Not exactly in a row since you can't kill it every week but like 4 out of 5 weeks being good or something like that. I booked 204 last year so I have to make sure I'm at least 210 pace or something.

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/19/09 12:18 AM

oh yeah its tough for you to bowl in the tourneys since theres like 85 people in the 200+ division. mines gonna end up being less than 20 maybe even closer to 15 after all the people who are over get weeded out. i dont bowl next week since im in a league with the ucf students and they all go home for the holiday but ill prob give it a try dec 2

Re: anyone ever do virtual tournaments? - 11/19/09 02:10 AM

Yeah it's a tougher division but the pay out can be better. Maybe see how you do in practice in the next week and see if you'll be up for the tourney in a couple weeks. Also, maybe consider finding someone else willing to do the tournament and do doubles.