You vs Wes Malott

Posted by: Mattdean76

You vs Wes Malott - 04/19/09 10:45 PM

Say you got the opportunity Michael Wilbon got to bowl Wes Malott and he would be using a plastic ball, how many pins would you need to be given to have a fair chance to beat him?

I think I would need 50, maybe 40.
Posted by: IndyBowler

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/19/09 11:04 PM

No lie, when I was 8 years old I won my first tournament. It was the pro-am. They do give you strikes in like 3,6,9 frames but I'm pretty sure I beat two out of three pro's I faced at 8 years old.

Back on topic though, 30 pins but hopefully none.
Posted by: Smooth Stroker

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/19/09 11:25 PM

It would depend on the pattern. Cheetah pattern, I would need pins. Anything else, I would take my chances. The longer the pattern, the better my chances become.
Posted by: clt2244

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/20/09 02:01 AM

agree, i would like a fair challenge with any pro bowler, ill get my chance this summer when i bowl in a local pro shot league that Robert Smith bowls in as well, should be lots of fun
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/20/09 07:23 AM

I think 30 pins would make it fair. But, I'd rather go head to head. "I beat Wes Malott scratch" carries some weight - "I beat Wes Malott with 30 pins handicap" ... not so much.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/20/09 08:06 AM

Now, if he bowled at our lanes, I would put him on lane 27. There is a hump about 45 feet down at the 10 board, and I wouldn't tell him. I'd bowl on 26. But, I think I would still need a few pins to be safe. On a good day, that is. I just can't bowl 248 at will as he does.

If we bowled at another house with wood lanes, he would have to bowl on lane 7 because the 12 board is lose, and your ball bounces either left or right if you lay it down there.

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/20/09 09:09 AM

What makes you think he would lay it down anywhere near 12 on wood?
Posted by: Matrix900

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/20/09 09:50 AM

I wouldn't take pins. I would take some advice from malott as wilbon did. I would think saying I only lost to wes by 40pins would hold more than, I lost to wes by 10 pins because, he gave me 30.

On a side note. I think wes intentionally missed that 10pin in the first frame just to keep it kind of close. I don't think wes expected wilbon to bowl the way he did either.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/20/09 10:41 AM

I'd bowl him the same way I like my scotch. Straight up.

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/20/09 11:01 AM

The nice thing is, in a 1 game match, you have a chance. There's no way you're going to beat him in the PoY race, or a 7 game match, or maybe even a best of 3. But 1 game is possible.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/20/09 01:40 PM

I think if he gave me 25 I would at least keep it close, maybe 30. I think learning from him would be better than winning though so I would be more interested in that.
Posted by: larry m

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/20/09 02:15 PM

id give him 10 pins
Posted by: BIGHMW

Re: You vs Wes Malott - 04/27/09 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Matrix900
On a side note. I think wes intentionally missed that 10pin in the first frame just to keep it kind of close. I don't think wes expected wilbon to bowl the way he did either.

Well, at least he didn't foul against him, let alone twice, like he did when he faced Liz Johnson in their history-making semi-final match in Grand Rapids 4 years ago.