Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect?

Posted by: Dan300

Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/08/08 01:43 PM

I'm bowling my first ever Pro-Am event this Saturday in Baltimore. It's a 9-pin no tap, with pros on the lanes to provide coaching and assistance.I'm guessing it's not as formal or competitive as a regular tournament, though there is money up for grabs. It'll also be cool to work with some of the pros I've only ever watched on TV.

I've never done this before, so what can I expect?
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/08/08 04:57 PM

I heard it's just going to be the house shot not the shark pattern.

I would like to get the chance to bowl on the same shot the pros bowl on since it's no tap.

It is always fun to bowl in a Pro Am, I have bowled in several over the years and always enjoyed myself. It is definitely laid back and some trash talking.

I will probably not be able to make it because of work, I am going to work late every day this week and hopefully I will get my work done so I can go.

Good Luck to any and all who bowl, post back how you do.
Posted by: Upriser

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/09/08 01:57 AM

Good Luck Dan300, should be a blast!!! Maybe you will pull out another 300 and show the pro's up....
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/09/08 05:17 PM

Good luck Dan. You should expect to make a u-turn to get to the center if you are coming the way I believe you will be.
Posted by: eastwest

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/09/08 05:49 PM

Good luck to ya Dan, I'll be there for the telecast on Sunday.
Posted by: Jay R.

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/09/08 05:59 PM

Awesome stuff. Good luck with it. Be sure to let us know how you do and what pros you run into.

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/10/08 11:38 PM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone (and for the driving tip). I'll have a report on Sunday probably.

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/11/08 09:59 PM

The mother of one of the kids I coach is volunteering at the Shark championship in Baltimore and she said they will be using the Shark pattern for the Pro Am.

Keep your speed under control and consider anything to the right of the 10 board out of bounds.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/11/08 10:10 PM

Coach:

The last 2 summers, I bowled on a sport league and they put down the Shark a few of the weeks. I was able to play basically straight up between 5-8 with a ball that had surface coming under the ball. Can you not play out there at that house?

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/11/08 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: General Pounder
Coach:

The last 2 summers, I bowled on a sport league and they put down the Shark a few of the weeks. I was able to play basically straight up between 5-8 with a ball that had surface coming under the ball. Can you not play out there at that house?

This past spring and summer in my PBAX league, that's how I played the shark (with my Cell) to the tune of a *checks records* 180 average. That's after watching Chris Barnes win a Shark tournament using that shot. It fits my game better that way anyway.

BTW, Jim, thanks for the update.
Posted by: Chubbs

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/12/08 11:00 AM

The only problem with playing out is that is where the pattern is flattest. If you play in and stay with it, you can build up some hold area to your left and use a ball with surface to plow out a track area. I've had success using my Cell for this at the start of a block. As I move in my Cell will start to hit a little flat as it has a very smooth drilling, so I will change to a ball with a stronger back end.

Playing further right does make it easier to carry on your good shots, but you do not have nearly as much slop area as you do if you play in.

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/12/08 11:36 AM

True, there isn't as much area out there. But, what you will do by playing a ball with surface out there is create a bumper zone. One of the guys I was bowling against this summer had a No Mercy sanded to 320 and was throwing it outside. He burned a nice track for the rest of us. That created area.
Posted by: Chubbs

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/12/08 12:24 PM

Also true, GP.

It is a risk-reward proposition. If there is a track plowed on the outside then it may become playable out there. However, if you happen to leak it through that track area, you're looking at a 3 or even a 1 count when it hits the OB area beyond 40 ft. If you leak one right while playing in, you may still have a chance to leave a flat 10 or a 2 assuming you're ball speed is under control.

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/12/08 05:14 PM

It is a Pro-Am which is a no tap (9 counts as a strike) tournament, so carry is not as important as hitting the pocket.

Play where you feel most comfortable, I was able to put up some pretty good numbers playing inside, but I have a high axis rotation and can slow my ball speed down enough to get the ball to break sharp enough to carry. If you have a low axis rotation then you may do better playing more direct to the pocket from outside. I just wouldn't expect the ball to hook back from too far out near the gutter.
Posted by: Jay R.

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/12/08 05:41 PM

I think I have around 45 degrees of axis rotation. We were on the Shark for the first 5 weeks of my PBAX league this year. If I threw up 5 on the Shark(Rival at 2000 Abralon) without changing my roll, the ball would go through the nose. I couldn't figure out why honestly, I figured 44 feet would have hooked less. Of course, moving a bit a play breakpoint of 5 was super touchy. I guess that's because of how flat it is out there. I found my best look using my Counter Strike about 12 out to 10. Still not that good, but what could I do. I kinda wish I could get another try at the pattern to see if playing tighter inside and slowing down would do anything.
Posted by: GunsTariq

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/14/08 08:28 AM

Thought I'd give you guys a treat. Enjoy (if I knew how to embed on here it would be easier)

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/14/08 09:05 AM

Very cool Guns.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/14/08 12:01 PM

Looks like everyone was having fun. Thanks for the video. Was that taken with a digital camera or an actual video camera? I have a new camera, but have not experimented with the video part of it yet.

Erin
Posted by: GunsTariq

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/14/08 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Looks like everyone was having fun. Thanks for the video. Was that taken with a digital camera or an actual video camera? I have a new camera, but have not experimented with the video part of it yet.

Erin

I used a digital camera to get a whole bunch of video shots then I used movie maker on my computer to compile that movie.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/14/08 07:13 PM

Nice shots, Guns. Thanks.
Posted by: Brandon510

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/14/08 08:04 PM

Great Video guns. looks very fun.
Posted by: JStevensMD

Re: Pro-Am in Baltimore...What to expect? - 12/15/08 02:35 AM

So strange to see a local house in a video. Those poor horrible keypads. This is Country Club's one big claim to fame, and for about two weeks out of the year, it's a nice house. The rest of the time however...