Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard

Posted by: BIGHMW

Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 11/30/08 04:12 PM

I think that this guy is the power player of the future, with Robert Smith on his way out, it's time to start ushering in the new "King Kranker" of the PBA, that being Ken Simard. He was throwing some absolutely sick stuff out there today, including a 289 against Brad Angelo, who literally waved the proverbial "white flag" (his towel) when Kenny had the front 8.

Every ball that he threw in that first match was absolutely sick, except when it came to the 11th shot, he overthrew it and left the 8-pin for 289.

But then came the customary letdown and after he struck in the frst frame in the title match, up came the Ultimate Reality Check when he left the 4-6-7 in the right lane and promptly whiffed the 4-7 to lose four pins in count, which eventually cost him the title, when he left a HARD, HARD ringing 10 in the second shot in the 10th frame on a ball in which he needed a strike to win the title on, but what a show he put on.

He has been great in his two TV shows, and bowled for the title each show, and with a 2-2 record on TV, so we know that he can win, but the question is.... when?
Posted by: MJA

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 11/30/08 05:32 PM

I enjoy watching Ken bowl. It was assame to see him lose. This was his tournament to win. Its just a matter of time before he gets his first win.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 11/30/08 05:37 PM

Ken Simard does have a powerful ball that's for sure but it's a bit different than Robert Smith. A lot of his revs is just from his huge span and then is great technique working the inside of the ball. His form is easier on the body since it's more along the lines of a power stroker and less jerky motion.

I was pulling for him to win, from the time I saw he was on the show. He had his chance and made a better shot than a couple of the strikes late in the 289 game and just got an unlucky break much like Malott did seconds before.
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 11/30/08 09:57 PM

Michael Fagan is right there with Kenny Simard in power. If anything those guys are almost too good, they get so much power into the ball that it over hits on many shots. CG was saying that bowling is the only sport that will penalize you for being too good.

Posted by: BIGHMW

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 11/30/08 10:18 PM

Well Michael Fagan won last year, maybe it's now time for both Ken Simard and also Chris Loschetter to win their first titles as well this year.

Anybody remember the 2006 U.S. Open (won by Tommy Jones) when Michael Fagan was lofting his ball over the left gutter cap more and more as the lanes were breaking down, and even more impressive (and pretty much moot point since T.J. won his match against him) was in the 10th frame he was lofting it about 1/2 to 2/3 down the lane, and all three shots in that 10th frame struck, very impressive indeed.

I can't wait to see "King Kranker" back on TV again and perhaps you will see some even more sick power than what he displayed out there today (or like Robert Smith did in Chicago last year when he won).
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 12/01/08 07:15 AM

I haven't seen him enough to know if this was isolated yesterday, but what did him in, and the reason (I think) that he's not won yet, is that he gets around the ball too much. He was taught by the same guy that taught Tommy Jones, and it's very apparent in their styles, but he puts more axis rotation on it than Tommy, and I think that's why Tommy has won a bunch and he hasn't.

I still think Fagan is the epitome of bowling ability - it was probably Pete Weber before him, but no one even comes close to Fagan when it comes to the ability to put a ton of clean power on the ball. The problem, is, that doesn't translate to good scores. I was watching Xtra frame for the round of 16, and Fagan threw a perfect shot, hit the pocket flush, and... big four. He doesn't use much axis rotation either. Pocket shots that strike for Walter Ray split for these guys, while shots that strike for these guys leave 10 pins for Walter Ray. If your opponent's only leaves are single pins, and yours are splits, you ain't gonna win.

I think the next bowling dynasty (post Williams/Weber/Duke) will be someone like TJ, Machuga, or even Rash - someone with a good bit of power (not too much), but the ability to keep it straighter most of the time - I don't know that Simard can do that.

Sure is fun to watch him though, huh?
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 12/01/08 08:05 AM

I think you also have to mention Bill O'Niel as one of the up and commers in the PBA today. He just needs a little work on the mental part of his game, with a win, I think that will come. He has all the other tools though, a good sound game, including power.
Posted by: eastwest

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 12/01/08 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim Gerard
I think you also have to mention Bill O'Niel as one of the up and commers in the PBA today. He just needs a little work on the mental part of his game, with a win, I think that will come. He has all the other tools though, a good sound game, including power.

Agreed, Bill will win soon if he gets that mental aspect improved.
Posted by: Silent Mike

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 12/01/08 04:52 PM

If its the guy Im thinking of Fagan has that weird "gumby" arm look. His speed and revs are clean and easy but his arm bends in a manner that it looks like it will tear his arm up in due time. I was definitely impressed with Simard's stuff. I think they said he had the front 9 seven times through out the week. I can see why with what he did on the telecast. He was entertaining to watch unlike the women's part of the telecast. Missy looked about as lost as you can get for someone at her level. Easy win for Michelle, more or less had to show up. Her game is solid though too.
Posted by: eastwest

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Simard - 12/01/08 05:32 PM

I was talking with a friend of Fagan's the other week, and we were discussing the unique arm bend. Apparently, he's somewhat double jointed, and it's not putting bad pressure on his body like it may seem. Fagan's a great bowler and nice guy, I hope to see him make some shows this season.
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: Exit Maximum Bob, Enter "King Kranker", Ken Si - 12/01/08 05:42 PM

Fagan keeps starting off slow and at the bottom of the pack after the first round, but bowls really well the second round and makes match play every week, I think if he gets off to a good start we may see him on tv sooner than later.

I would have to vote for Bill O'neill as a future dominant player he is very versatile and can play straighter than most power players. He just needs to make better shots under pressure, but he is vastly improving each week.