2017 U.S. Open

Posted by: BOSStull

2017 U.S. Open - 10/28/17 07:31 AM

US Open Round 1 results

US OPEN oil pattern

I can't understand why the US OPEN oil pattern would require you to bowl the gutter cap in game 1.

Anthony Simonsen

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 10/28/17 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: BOSStull
US Open Round 1 results

US OPEN oil pattern

I can't understand why the US OPEN oil pattern would require you to bowl the gutter cap in game 1.

A little research found out why. Anthony Simonsen and Marshall Kent were in C Squad and didn't fair well. Lanes were oiled at start and none thereafter. They were at a disadvantage to start. But now the question why not re oil. Give everyone the same conditions to start?
Posted by: SteveH

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 10/28/17 12:11 PM

That's the way USBC Chad wants it. He wants to make this a grueling test, and the double-burn lofting is part of it. Chris Barnes commented that the right side five boards is out of bounds due to topo.

I think the double burn is an excuse. It allows for more timely play due to no re-oil, and makes the pattern itself a mockery of the sport.. But this is Chad's world.
Posted by: wronghander

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 10/28/17 03:21 PM

This tournament is making a mockery out of the sport. It shouldn't require top bowlers play the lanes in such a way that would get many of us thrown out of our local center. Even Walter Ray was lofting the gutter cap so it wasn't just the power players that were forced to play there. Chris Warren had a different approach which was throwing a backup ball from the left side.

Clearly the double burn needs to be eliminated. There should be fresh oil for at least 2 of the 3 squads next year. Also perhaps the USBC and PBA need to consider banning sanded equipment in their tournaments so the heads will hold up longer. A little bit of surface would be fine but no need for anyone to be throwing charcoal down the lanes. Pros especially have access to plenty of equipment and layout options to get the desired ball reaction so shouldn't need to rely on surface that much.

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 10/29/17 07:21 AM

My thoughts also. When the conditions forces a PBA bowler to bowl in an area that he is physically incapable of performing at something is wrong. Ryan Shafer withdrew from the tournament stating such.

I would be curious to see if all bowlers were playing the gutter cap or were some playing a more conventional line with equipment designed for burned conditions. I could never play this part of the lane and would have to resort if nothing else using my Artic Sniper and just getting to the pocket.

Qualifying - Round 2

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 10/29/17 10:16 AM

Other thoughts from Dave Small.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=qWWRdWIfKLU
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 10/30/17 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: BOSStull

very interesting.

Friction is Friction.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 10/30/17 10:46 PM

For what I think is the first time ever, Chad has admitted a change is needed. After his first post that indicated the best bowlers were stupid and he was brilliant, he then subsided into a change.

He did some good things for bowling. He needs to be eliminated now.

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 10/31/17 06:09 AM

The 11th Frame: Norm Duke puts on shotmaking clinic at 2017 U.S. Open in what Chad Murphy says may have been the tournamentís last with this format.

Duke electrifying on way to lead at 2017 U.S. Open
Qualifying - Round 3
Qualifying - Round 4

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/01/17 05:18 AM

Bowling tonight. Going to miss the live show on CBS Sports Network but it is set to record. I am pulling for Norm Duke but he has a tough climb from the bottom of the Stepladder finals.

Wednesday
November 1
7:30 PM
Live televised Stepladder finals
CBS Sports Network

Match Play - Round 3

[
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/02/17 09:33 AM

http://scores.bowl.com/2017USOpen/Stepladder.pdf
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/03/17 04:16 PM

Genius move, televising it opposite the 7th game of the most compelling World Series in ages.
Posted by: 82Boat69

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/03/17 06:43 PM

What World Series was that? Rhino Page threw one saw-ball that did more damage than any of the world series pitchers :-)
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/04/17 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: 6_ball_man
Genius move, televising it opposite the 7th game of the most compelling World Series in ages.

To be fair, they wouldn't have known there'd be a Game 7 until it played out.

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/04/17 05:33 PM

Night broadcast competes with basketball and hockey, this time of year. There really isn't a good spot.

Bowling is not a market leader in viewers. It's a filler broadcast. So, put it on against a guaranteed loser time slot.

the sad thing is, after 5 days of bowling, Rhino won only $30,000. Most baseball players get double that every time at bat.

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/05/17 09:12 AM

I was able to watch the first 2 matches Of The US Open on the TV in between the lanes during my Wednesday leagues. I was surprised to see the amount of interest from my fellow league bowlers. THE US OPEN started before the World Series. When th WS started an empolyee came and changed the channel to the WS. The employee said the manager said to change all the TVs to the WS. This did not set well with me. I even mention to the employee it didn't look like there was interest in th WS . No was watching it since the channels were changed. Maybe if we were in Texas there would be more intrerst but this is BRAVES country. I was happy to see there was more interest in PBA inside the bowling center by fellow bowlers but dissappointed in the centers lack of support for the sport that pays their bills.

I did record the show so I was able to watch it when I got home.
Posted by: goobee

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/05/17 06:18 PM

From my experience, the mom and pop centers are more flexible with showing what customers want to see. The large corporate centers (ie: Brunswick, AMF, etc.) just show what they want to show.

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/05/17 10:58 PM

I agree with goobee. I've never had a problem getting the house to change the nearest TV to my lanes. As long as there were no other objections.
Posted by: Fin09

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/06/17 08:59 PM

Not everyone had to loft the gutter cap, but enough of it happened in the double burn squads that all you heard about was how so and so was lofting it 30' down the lane. Versatility is a dying concept if the only solution is to move in deeper and loft it with more revs.
The guys who lofted it the furthest finished way out of the money. I said years ago when Belmo and Osku were making a lot of shows that the defense against two-handers and the other extreme power players was to dial back the oil. While this may have ended up being a nightmare of a tournament for some, it showed that sometimes less is more.
Posted by: Dylan585

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/10/17 06:49 PM

Something ive noticed is peoplelove to complain about the two handers and the people lofting but everybody seems to ignore how Jakob Butturf bowls... Can andybody explain to me what in the heck that is all about?
Posted by: 82Boat69

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/10/17 08:54 PM

His release isn't all that quirky if you watch it carefully. He definitely gets underneath the ball in a position to work from the inside-out at the beginning, but, by the time he actually releases the ball, he's pretty much back to a standard release position.

What he does do, is create a highly rev-dominant release with a very short back-swing. unconventional only when compared to all the high back-swings of the other players. It allows him to use urethane without the ball getting away from him at the other end.

In a sport where RPM's and speed coming off the oil pattern determine hitting power, he doesn't gain much advantage because he doesn't have much speed. The U.S. Open oil pattern gave an advantage to lefties who didn't generate too much hook at the back-end.

http://scores.bowl.com/2017USOpen/OilPattern.pdf

http://www.downvids.net/jakob-butturff-slow-motion-release-929908.html

His big lead was a result of bonus pins from match play. I know he's won some regionals and a couple of xtra-frame titles, but I've never seen him before in a PBA TV finales.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the up-coming season.
Posted by: Dylan585

Re: 2017 U.S. Open - 11/12/17 05:48 PM

It honestly looks almost identical to a two handers for except only he uses one hand