That outdooor Tournament

Posted by: VikingOfBowling

That outdooor Tournament - 01/12/17 02:07 PM

I remember growing up watching some pro tournament that was held outside. What is the official name for this and is it still held?
Posted by: W9JAB

Re: That outdooor Tournament - 01/12/17 03:17 PM

Last one I saw was in Las Vegas, it was so dusty, you could see it collecting on the lanes.
Posted by: 82Boat69

Re: That outdooor Tournament - 01/12/17 03:24 PM

There also wasn't any humidity so the lanes were totally wasted and the wind was blowing. I was shocked that the women in the finals tried to play with reactive balls. Shoulda gone to plastic :-)
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: That outdooor Tournament - 01/12/17 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: VikingOfBowling
I remember growing up watching some pro tournament that was held outside.

This is from a much older one that was held in NYC. I remember watching this on TV in 1999. Maybe this is the one you remember. I'm pretty sure it was only intended as a one time event that had no future plans to be annual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78sYa5VZIxg

They also had the Masters in Miller Park in 2004 and 2007, but they had the roof closed for both shows. Also, although they were not individual tournaments, they've also had the Geico Team Shootout outdoors at assorted Six Flags theme parks.

The dusty, dry, breezy 2012 Women's US Open finals mentioned earlier was definitely unique in the struggles with conditions.

Mark
Posted by: W9JAB

Re: That outdooor Tournament - 01/13/17 12:10 PM

livid Outdoor Bowling is like Indoor golf livid
It's Just Not Right
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: That outdooor Tournament - 01/15/17 07:45 PM

I think there were a couple -> a few seniors finals put on out of doors @ The Villages in Florida years ago, when they gave a house as 1st place