PBA Regionals - Who Oils Lanes?

Posted by: Joe Bowler

PBA Regionals - Who Oils Lanes? - 03/22/14 06:57 AM

This is a question for those who are familiar with bowling PBA Regionals. Is there a lane maintenance crew for regional events? Do they bring their own machine?

The reason I ask is there is a PBA regional event coming to a center nearby that I used to bowl PBAX. However, the center was never able to get the patterns to play as expected. The left side in particular played like a reverse block week after week. I have been thinking about going, but if the lane conditions depend on the center's staff and equipment, I'll pass.
Posted by: champ

Re: PBA Regionals - Who Oils Lanes? - 03/22/14 04:27 PM

I just read the answer to that question. PBA regions used to have their own lane crews, but after budget cuts, most regional events are now oiled by in-house lane guys with whatever equipment the house owns, using whatever oil the house stocks.
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: PBA Regionals - Who Oils Lanes? - 03/23/14 08:45 AM

Thanks for that info, Champ. I think I will enjoy a Sunday at home for a change. smile
Posted by: BIGHMW

Re: PBA Regionals - Who Oils Lanes? - 03/23/14 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
Thanks for that info, Champ. I think I will enjoy a Sunday at home for a change. smile

Hope you'll just kick back and enjoy the 4th and final quarterfinals matchup between the Philadelphia Hitmen and the Pittsburgh JackRabbits on ESPN at 1:00 pm EST/10:00 am PDT, I just sure hope that the NIT game between Illinois and Clemson gets through in time, you KNOW how long the last 3 minutes takes (about 20-25 minutes) to expire with all the time outs and fouls they commit during the last 3 minutes. It should be a good one, as the winner faces the Silver Lake Atom Splitters in the semifinals. smile
Posted by: Fin09

Re: PBA Regionals - Who Oils Lanes? - 03/23/14 09:11 PM

That's disappointing if it's true- the PBA always had their own lane men who put down the patterns for regionals, and they played the way they were supposed to. I know times are tough, but that's a bad place to cut costs.
Posted by: champ

Re: PBA Regionals - Who Oils Lanes? - 03/23/14 10:26 PM

Here's an article (dated 2010) where Jeff Richgels discusses the change: http://www.11thframe.com/news/article/3885

And here's a more recent article (2014) where he discusses the new patterns regional stops will be using and also mentions that PBA regions are still using house personnel and equipment: http://www.11thframe.com/news/article/6441
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: PBA Regionals - Who Oils Lanes? - 03/24/14 09:14 AM

Champ is correct, it is oiled by the house mechanic and by the house's equipment.

The PBA does oversee the pattern program and the laying down of the pattern though.

The Regional Director typically shows up the Thursday before the event is to be held to make sure the pattern goes down as planned.