PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V

Posted by: BOSStull

PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/02/13 09:08 AM

This is going to be an interesting telecast.

PBA to Introduce Dyed Oil for ESPN’s World Series of Bowling Telecasts
http://news.pba.com/post/2013/11/01/PBA-...-Telecasts.aspx

The 11th Frame: Revolutionary new visible oil to be used on PBA animal pattern TV shows

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/02/13 09:25 AM

PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V TELEVISION LINEUP
South Point Exhibition Hall B

PBA CHEETAH CHAMPIONSHIP

Stepladder Finalists (Saturday, Nov. 2, 1 p.m. PT; ESPN telecast Dec. 1, 1 p.m. ET)

1, Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J.

2, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo.

3, Wes Malott, Pflugerville, Texas.

4, Clara Guerrero, Colombia.

PBA VIPER CHAMPIONSHIP presented by PBA Bowling Challenge

Stepladder Finalists (Saturday, Nov. 2, 3 p.m. PT; ESPN telecast Dec. 8, 1 p.m. ET)

1, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y.

2, Chris Barnes, Double Oak, Texas.

3, Stuart Williams, England.

4, Jason Belmonte, Australia.

PBA CHAMELEON CHAMPIONSHIP

Stepladder Finalists (Saturday, Nov. 2, 5:30 p.m. PT; ESPN telecast Dec. 15, 1 p.m. ET)

1, Dom Barrett, England.

2, Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio.

3, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y.

4, Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich.

PBA SCORPION CHAMPIONSHIP

Stepladder Finalists (Saturday, Nov. 2, 7 p.m. PT; ESPN telecast Dec. 22, 1 p.m. ET)

1, Marshall Kent, Yakima, Wash.

2, Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich.

3, Josh Blanchard, Gilbert, Ariz.

4, Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C.

WORLD BOWLING TOUR FINALS presented by PBA

Stepladder Finalists (Sunday, Nov. 3, 10 a.m. PT; ESPN telecast Jan. 5, 1 p.m. ET)

Women’s Finals

1, Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J.

2, Liz Johnson, Cheektowaga, N.Y.

3, Missy Parkin, Laguna Hills, Calif.

Men’s Finals

1, Sean Rash, Montgomery, Ill.

2, Mika Koivuniemi, Finland/Hartland, Mich.

3, Mike Fagan, Fort Worth, Texas

PBA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Stepladder Finalists (Sunday, Nov. 3, 12:30 p.m. PT; ESPN telecast Dec. 29, 1 p.m. ET)

1, Dom Barrett, England.

2, Sean Rash, Montgomery, Ill.

3, Mike Fagan, Fort Worth, Texas.

4, Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich.

5, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo.

PBA REGIONAL PLAYERS INVITATIONAL FINALS

Shootout Format Finalists (Sunday, Nov. 3, 3:30 p.m. PT; ESPN telecast Jan. 12, 1 p.m. ET)

Players seeded based upon qualifying positions for 28 games in animal pattern events. Players 2, 4 and 6 bowl one-game match; players 1, 3, 5 bowl one-game match; winners of those two matches bowl one game for title.

1, Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio (Central Region).

2, Chris Barnes, Double Oak, Texas (Southwest Region).

3, Tom Daugherty, Wesley Chapel, Fla. (South Region).

4, Brian LeClair, Albany, N.Y. (East Region).

5, Dave Beres, Waukesha, Wis. (Midwest Region).

6, Ben Laughlin, Chandler, Ariz. (West/Northwest Region).

PBA50 FINALS

Stepladder Finalists (Sunday, Nov. 3, 3:30 p.m. PT; ESPN telecast Jan. 12, 1 p.m. ET)

1, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla.

2, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela.

3, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo.
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/02/13 09:30 AM

As a bowler and as a fan, visible oil patterns have been on my wish list for a while. Glad to see it come to fruition.
Posted by: rrb6699 (RayRay)

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/02/13 11:44 AM

I think that throws one of my inventions out the window, Joe. One thing i was working on was a set of glasses to show what you see in the dyed oil picture as visible. i often wondered with his access to technology and innovation, does Pete Weber use glasses because he can 'see' the oil? If i had that advantage for years, i would say that the 'lights hurt my eyes'. in reality the flourescent lighting would be the 'night vision light' that is needed with the glasses to make the oil visible. much like the way you can see leaking radiator fluid through yellowish glasses and ultraviolet light in a vehicle.

i still think the visible oil will not take hold as a thing you will see everywhere. it may cause tournaments to list it as a feature of their event. i find it interesting but if the game is going to make this change then it will up everyone's game i'm sure.

rr
Posted by: 56bird

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/02/13 12:01 PM

Weber has gone on record to state that he only wears sunglasses when bowling on TV, and he does this to deal with the cameramen/TV lights.

I mean it has been a long time since Pete's first rodeo, but I think if he got some advantage from wearing any kind of glasses he'd do it all the time.
Posted by: wronghander

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/02/13 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
i still think the visible oil will not take hold as a thing you will see everywhere. it may cause tournaments to list it as a feature of their event. i find it interesting but if the game is going to make this change then it will up everyone's game i'm sure.
rr

I agree that it would cause scores to go up at least among your typical league and tournament bowlers (definitely would help me, no question). This innovation is definitely something that will benefit televised bowling. It will especially help educate those viewers especially who really aren't aware of what the players bowl on as well as those league bowlers who might tune in once in awhile and see a pro bowl a 180 and say "Hey, I can beat that!"

I think it would be better if it were possible to make it so that only the people watching at home could see the oil pattern and the bowlers on the lanes would still have to figure it without the visual aid. But the pros are really good with figuring out the lanes anyway so may not even make much of a difference for them. I look forward to watching the first telecast.
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/02/13 01:56 PM

Uhm, BOSStull, we do have the "Pro Bowling Tours" forum for posts about the PBA. wink

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/02/13 11:15 PM

I was not accusing weber cool of this just a little levity with some question since it is an invention i am working on... but i would like to look through his glasses just one time.... cool cool cool

i like the oil. it would be great to practice on . i believe the tournaments would now list it as another pattern like "Chameleon Visible" or something like that for each visible pattern.

I'm sure that both versions will exist together and bowling on the invisible oil will be easier once you see how breakdown occurs under so many different scenarios that will and currently do happen to lane conditions as they are today.

but on higher average competitive events seeing how those patterns migrate will be the most interesting to me as they will be where i want to compete.

you definitly will see the 'sand traps' on this oil!

rr

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/03/13 06:02 AM

I think that throws one of my inventions out the window, Joe. One thing i was working on was a set of glasses to show what you see in the dyed oil picture as visible.

Instead, how about a Google Glass app that calculates and overlays the actual lane with an image of the desired ball trajectory? You could call it BPS for Bowler Positioning System. That would be mighty cool, although probably not allowed in competition. cool

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/03/13 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Richie V.
Uhm, BOSStull, we do have the "Pro Bowling Tours" forum for posts about the PBA. wink
oops

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/03/13 12:18 PM

i believe the tournaments would now list it as another pattern like "Chameleon Visible" or something like that for each visible pattern.
rr

Add multiple colors of oil to really make it a real Chameleon pattern that will change colors as the oil is carried down.. LOL
Posted by: champ

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/03/13 04:35 PM

Does the RPI Finals count as a national tour title?
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/04/13 02:06 PM

As far as the visible oil making scores go up in your THS league I highly doubt most bowlers will average any different. Maybe your top 2-3 guys would understand but other than that the rest of the league will have no idea what to do with the information.

Think about it like this, you can tell most league bowlers to move inside more because their ball is hooking too early and the typical answer is "well I always look at the second arrow", I highly doubt visible oil will change most people.

It will be interesting to see how the TV show goes, I can tell you from getting to see Dom Barrett's equipment after the block it does make the IQ Tour Pearl look completely green after a little bit from it picking up the blue tinted oil.

Definitely excited to see the show and see what happens as equipment tracks up the lane.

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/04/13 03:39 PM

With visible oil, recreational bowlers will be more concerned about the transition to their clothes than the lanes. crying
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/05/13 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
As far as the visible oil making scores go up in your THS league I highly doubt most bowlers will average any different. Maybe your top 2-3 guys would understand but other than that the rest of the league will have no idea what to do with the information.

Think about it like this, you can tell most league bowlers to move inside more because their ball is hooking too early and the typical answer is "well I always look at the second arrow", I highly doubt visible oil will change most people.

It will be interesting to see how the TV show goes, I can tell you from getting to see Dom Barrett's equipment after the block it does make the IQ Tour Pearl look completely green after a little bit from it picking up the blue tinted oil.

Definitely excited to see the show and see what happens as equipment tracks up the lane.

I posted on the USBC Group on Facebook a lot of what you said. This isn't an everyday thing, this is a tournament thing. I think that it would be a great teaching tool for JR leagues as well as coaches. If you can show bowlers what happens and then have then aim at different spots so they can see where the oil it and how your ball reacts in relation, win-win. I don't see this ever catching traction as a normal league thing.
Posted by: Doogie

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/06/13 10:13 AM

I like the idea for coaching purposes. You could see the ball track after a while and see how consistent, or not, your ball path is.

Of coure even knowing how variable the path is the question is how to fix it.

If brunswick commericalizes this I wonder what the cost differental would be from it to the normal oil? That will be the biggest factor in how this product would get used.

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/09/13 04:32 AM

A few things I will be interested to see is if areas with higher volume appear a darker blue, if individual boards/arrows are still clearly visible for targeting purposes, and if the color remains on the ball after wiping it off. Also, this should prove one way or the other if carrydown does/does not still exist. In the past few years, it's been a popular notion that it does not. We'll see.

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/17/13 12:29 AM

i like it. it's possible to have multi-tinted oil. think about it if the application down lane were one color and the application back to front lane were another color and the combined colors would result in a mix that would be reddish or brown for any areas oiled twice by the machine. load up the colored oil and mix it up for contrast! this way you could see and differentiate between the lower volume unit application and higher volume units application on any pattern!
that is how to do it! And remember we thought of it here first!
RayRay

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 11/17/13 12:43 AM

that reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield's putter in Caddyshack. Pretty cool. You could have terminator-like apps on google glass that would analyze the oil pattern with the UV dye and then project all playable lines based on your bowler specs and ball choices taken into account. sort of like a wearable instant Blueprint software as part of a total package that all comes together to line you up. It would analyze every shot to give you instant stats back and recommend adjustments.

wow. i see the beginnings of all this assembly of pieces of the puzzle.

RR

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
I think that throws one of my inventions out the window, Joe. One thing i was working on was a set of glasses to show what you see in the dyed oil picture as visible.

Instead, how about a Google Glass app that calculates and overlays the actual lane with an image of the desired ball trajectory? You could call it BPS for Bowler Positioning System. That would be mighty cool, although probably not allowed in competition. cool
Posted by: SouthShoreBowler

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/01/13 02:57 PM

Wes Malott wins the Cheetah Championship! Gotta give him credit. He struggled on that left lane in his first match. Then, he figures it out just in time to beat Guerrero (and got a little lucky she couldn't carry the 10-pin). Then he steamrolls Weber and Bohn III. All this while dealing with a knee injury.

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/01/13 10:47 PM

did anyone catch his ball layout or ball he was using? looked like a Totally Deranged. Parker had a Melee and PW used a solid IQ.

I guess the visible oil didn't help anyone in particular did it? I think the only time it will help is during qualifying when the track areas show up after so many shots. only then will you see what is happening when your ball hits in certain areas worn out.

RR
Posted by: 56bird

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/02/13 08:49 AM

Totally Defiant. Looked like it had some surface.

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/02/13 02:14 PM

Did PW loose focus? Commercial break didn't seem to bother Wes Malott any.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/02/13 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: craigbenji
Wes Malott wins the Cheetah Championship! Gotta give him credit. He struggled on that left lane in his first match. Then, he figures it out just in time to beat Guerrero (and got a little lucky she couldn't carry the 10-pin). Then he steamrolls Weber and Bohn III. All this while dealing with a knee injury.

FYI, there is a "SPOILER" tag in the reply chat box that you probably want to use when you are giving away something that happened in one of the TV Shows.

No biggie as I am sure most of us already saw it happen but just thought you might like to know because I had no idea it was even there until someone pointed it out to me.

Click to reveal..
This is what it looks like.
Posted by: Fin09

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/02/13 03:33 PM

They're not using it in the qualifying rounds, and there are no plans to. It's a tv only addition. It didn't seem to add to the scoring pace on the show, so all the folks worried that it was going to make the game easier than a video game can rest easy today. I'm curious to see the rest of the shows that use it, as they compare the pattern to the ones they have used up to that week. I imagine they'll split screen the different patterns to show the different lengths and concentrations.

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/02/13 05:39 PM

yeah seeing the actual pattern is something better than just showing a pattern diagram. I know they dont use it in qualifying but, it would be nice to see what happens to the lanes with that much lineage then take a picture of it. like at the end of each squad for example.

RR

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/15/13 02:31 PM

WSOB Preview: PBA Chameleon Championship at 1 p.m. ET on ESPN today.

Watched the first 2 matches and they kept my interest but the obstacle bowling was a turn off. Watching football now. I will watch the title match later DVR. Is anyone interested in watching this filler material in the PBA telecast?

This week’s PBA League Challenge contest in between matches is “Obstacle Bowling” where seven rubber pins will be strategically placed on the lane and the eight PBA League franchise players will have three shots to bowl through or around the obstacles to knock down as many pins as possible.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/15/13 07:40 PM

I like the PBA League skills challenge. I like to see the pro guys relax and enjoy bowling. What they were trying to do is tough and until you try to do it its hard to have an appreciation for it. T. O. is a patronizing pain and I dislike him. However, I appreciate that he's a known name and therefore can draw attention to bowling. But his "Barnes-y", "Norm-y" is very belittling and doesn't use the respect these pros have earned in our sport.

Erin

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/29/13 12:17 PM

Watch the position round leading up to the PBA World Championship finals today on ESPN at 1 pm.

I don't see why this would not be televised instead of the filler material since it is being described as one of the most exciting position rounds in PBA history.

Re: PBA WORLD SERIES OF BOWLING V - 12/29/13 02:55 PM

Good telecast today . No filler just great bowling.