Rash on ESPN this weekend

Posted by: whitepuffin

Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/23/12 06:58 PM

I have just been watching the Bayer Viper open from this weekend (not being in the US I have to wait for it crying)

This week there was extra interest for me because being from England I was keen to see how Stu Williams was going to get on, and obviously I was pleased with the outcome thumbsup.

But what irritated me was Sean Rash and his comments not only about Stu Williams but also Ruiz. I know he is the new "Bad boy" of the PBA but he just seemed (a) disrespectful and (b) extreamly arrogant.

Now I accept that I might be a little bias in this because he was talking about a fellow Englishman and to be honest I have always personally thought that Rash was a bit of a cocky git, but I was keen to see how this came across to others that might not have the same bias as myself.
Posted by: vgnano420

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/23/12 07:35 PM

I only watch the Pba to see rash loose. I agree with you completely and he is a disgrace to the tour. If you bowl a strike act like you have done it before. He is a infant in an adults body. I would love to hear someone explain why they are actually a fan of this guy.

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/23/12 07:37 PM

I would love to say what I really feel but everything would be censored.
Posted by: tbill

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/23/12 07:57 PM

ya, he was a bit much in that interview, guess he had crow for dinner after the match, cause Mr. Williams took home the check and trophy.
Posted by: B-Hammer

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/23/12 09:31 PM

I don't mind Rash, he wears his emotions on his sleeve, he tries his best, but he can be beaten. Is there any disputing his talent? When he looses he doesn't throw a fit, he shakes the other guys hand and moves on.

The PBA needs more emotion, do you actually like to watch Robo bowling or you want to see someone care about how they are doing? Love Fagan's talent, but the guy is a robot. Pete, Walter Ray, Norm Duke they all get as fired up as Rash, they are just older so I guess that's ok, but it's not ok for Rash?

I didn't hear Rash say anything untrue in the interviews, he wants to win and he thinks the PBA tour is the best in the world which is something that Belmonte and other world players have said that it is.
Posted by: spillup24

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/23/12 10:13 PM

I recall hearing Stu Williams say that "He will never be friends with Rash." Isn't that kind of rude to say?

Rash has great talent and is very emotional. I like it. His best atrribute is also his worst enemy because his jacked up emotion seems to catch up with him in crucial moments. He gets to pupmed up and throws the ball through the break point. Seems to cost him every title.

On the other hand Williams is as boring as they come. I will take emotion any day over boring.

Also, he did not say anything bad about Ruiz. He said it would be a great story if Ruiz won but a better story if he (Rash) won.
Posted by: kwik8

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/23/12 10:29 PM

Honestly when I heard him I thought he came of as being a bit harsh towards Stu, but that is Rash. He is emotional and always has been as long as I have seen him. I do think that the Pba top to bottom has the best talent in the world but I watch a lot of Euro matches on youtube and there are some really good bowlers. The Pba guys always seem to be able to go over seas (which has to be challenging) and stay at the top in most events. I think Rash did come across really abrasive and it is pretty obvious those two don't like each other.

On another note I don't think Williams was boring at all. He showed he can change his release and be versatile and he got fired up a few times. I agree that the players should be interesting to watch but I also don't want to see them running out balls on spare shots in the fifth frame either. I liked watching Williams bowl. Was that Barrett next to him the last game?
Posted by: Smooth Stroker

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/23/12 10:54 PM

Personally, I like Rash. I like his style of bowling. Yes he is emotional. He says what he feels and doesn't try to hide it. He never said he didn't like Williams. He never said he didn't like Ruiz. However, Williams did say that he and Rash could never be friends. Obviously there is some history with the two of them that we don't know about. I have no problem with what Rash said. I like to see different personalities bowling. I think that the PBA needs different personalities and natural rivalries. If they develop into a good rivalry maybe that can help boost Bowling. Along with Belmonte and Rash. I enjoy the conflict. Just like I always enjoyed watching Weber against Walter Ray. Rivalries make sports interesting. Bowling needs more. I would like to see Fagan develop a rivalry with someone. You know, the whole good versus evil thing.
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/23/12 11:20 PM

vgnano, I agree w/ you to a point...normally, if you strike, you should "act like you've been there before," but I see nothing wrong with showing at least some emotion after a crucial strike, usually late in the game when it means the most. You wouldn't expect someone to remain stoic if he just shot a 300 game, would you? wink
Posted by: Kitten Latch

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 07:58 AM

Rash is a [censored]. Why doesn't Salvino take the boy aside and teach him how to act in the spotlight. I don't care how he acts on the lane, if he wants to scream half words and PARLAY every time he crumbles the 2-5 in to beat hall of famers, that's his thing, but to speak how he does about the fellow competitors on the shows in interviews where he's allowed time to think about his answer is just poor. Needs to grow up, or he'll never win a title again.
Posted by: Mark B

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 10:07 AM

i saw the show. i was kind of amazed what rash said about williams learning how its done over here. sounded a little disrespectful. I am not a rash hater but i definitely think his public relations skills need some honing. but rash vs williams ... there is definitely something there behind the cameras.

Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 02:58 PM

Editing is everything. Rash was obviously making his comments in a context of being interviewed about the upcoming contest, and was shown out of context juxtaposed against Williams saying they didn't like each other. The viewer was clearly being led to believe that Rash was an arrogant American snob.

Which he may be, but I just consider him a very aggressive, hard fighter when it comes to earning his living.

What I consider hypocritical about his comments, though, was the fact that he resents the Brit coming over and taking his paycheck while Rash's foreign-made Brunswick bowling ball robs the paycheck of other Americans.

At any rate, the interviews caused my wife to root against him.

And that's why it pays to advertise - some people can actually be swayed by 40 seconds of orchestrated poop.

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 03:05 PM

By the way, in case anybody's interested, the shot where he whiffed the headpin in that final game was a timing error.
He started his release motion a tenth of a split second too soon, causing his thumb to fall out too fast and too early, taking all the power off his fingers.

Just in case anybody's interested....

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 06:20 PM

Well looks like a mix reaction which was what I was expecting. Rash is going to be the kind of player you either love or loath I suppose.

A lot of you seemed to pick up on his emotions. That is not what personally bugs me about him, I like emotion but as some have already pointed out, at the right time as apposed to all the time.

Some response to specific comments:

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
I didn't hear Rash say anything untrue in the interviews, he wants to win and he thinks the PBA tour is the best in the world which is something that Belmonte and other world players have said that it is.

My point was not that he said that the PBA tour was the best.. even Stu said that at the end of the match, and if he had said something along the lines of "The PBA is the best tour in the world and Williams still has a lot to learn" I might have not been so reactive to it. But he actual said more along the lines "its one thing to bowl against Dom Barrett and Osko but he has a lot to lean about bowling in the US" so to me (and again this is just my opinion) he has not only been disrespectful to Stu, but also Dom Barrett and osku
I don't mind Rash, he wears his emotions on his sleeve, he tries his best, but he can be beaten. Is there any disputing his talent? When he looses he doesn't throw a fit, he shakes the other guys hand and moves on.

No never questioned the guys talent. What he did throughout the WSOB this year was very impressive and shows that he is an very talented guy.
Originally Posted By: spillup24
I recall hearing Stu Williams say that "He will never be friends with Rash." Isn't that kind of rude to say?

Stu said "He is a very talented bowler but they would never be friends because of a personality clash" and his tone was that of someone that was just being matter of fact about it, not emotionally charged. Would not say that that was a rude thing to say. There are lots of people that I meet that I feel I am never going to be friends with as we are poles apart, and I am sure it is the same for others that feel the same why.

On the other hand Williams is as boring as they come. I will take emotion any day over boring.

Really? OK he was not screaming and shout down every shot, or doing a kan-kan, be he showed emotion where it was needed got a little pumped also at times, but as it was his second show it was probably a little nervous also smile
Also, he did not say anything bad about Ruiz. He said it would be a great story if Ruiz won but a better story if he (Rash) won.

It was this statement that I personally though was a little arrogant. If he had said it was a great story if Ruiz won by he would prefer to win himself" then fine but the fact that it would be a better story? by using that word it implies that it would be more interesting; we as the public would be more interested in reading a story about rash winning than Ruiz. Now maybe it would be.. who knows, but to assume that about yourself to me steps over the line of confidence in to the world of arrogance.
Originally Posted By: kwik8
Was that Barrett next to him the last game?

Yes it was Dom Barrett
Posted by: B-Hammer

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: whitepuffin
I might have not been so reactive to it. But he actual said more along the lines "its one thing to bowl against Dom Barrett and Osko but he has a lot to lean about bowling in the US" so to me (and again this is just my opinion) he has not only been disrespectful to Stu, but also Dom Barrett and osku

I took that quote as outside of Osku and Dom the talent level isn't the same.

Like Galoot said it's a mater of context, we don't know the exact question asked or if ESPN chose to put it together in such a way as to create drama.

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 06:56 PM

I took that quote as outside of Osku and Dom the talent level isn't the same.

Like Galoot said it's a mater of context, we don't know the exact question asked or if ESPN chose to put it together in such a way as to create drama.

Your right it may well of been in that context, and it was only a sound bite from a much longer interview so the context may not be clear. I am willing to accept that.

On a side note the European tour should not be under estimated though. granted there are not as many superstars as in the PBA, but the European tour does not have the History, but there are a number of very talented bowlers who I am sure could hold their own. and with the WTBA getting up and running there may be more opportunity for the best in Europe to test their skills against the best from around the world.

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 07:04 PM

Don't let them sway your opinion puffin, rash is a tool or like you guys say in England a [censored].

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: vgnano420
Don't let them sway your opinion puffin, rash is a tool or like you guys say in England a [censored].

LOL Don't worry I am not being swayed, I still hold my opinion, but it is just that; my opinion, and as much as I stand by that I also appreciate that there are two side to it and others have theirs. I acknowledge that on that particular statement there may have been more to that statement that was not aired, or could have been my misinterpretation.

Given the little laugh just before he says it still make me feel it was a derogatory put down.
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 08:26 PM

I guess Williams learned quickly enough as how to bowl on the PBA tour.

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/24/12 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Tim Gerard

Williams is a good bowler on any tour. Remember this tournament was a 14 game qualifyer then the top 4 made TV. This wasn't a 40 game tournament with match play where the cream usually rises to the top to make television. So yes Williams did win but I question if he or Ruiz really would've been successful if it were a standard type tournament.

On the other hand he did qualify in what the tourney guidlines were so congrats to him.
Posted by: TheDemolitionMan

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/25/12 01:10 AM

I never really cared one way or another for Rash. I only ever watched his technique. It's a pretty typical updated biomechnical style of play. You see it or a version of it a lot now. So it's a good way to learn the game. My analysis shows that he's basically a smoother Rhino Page when it comes to style. Great technique and shot maker, but when the pressure is on he tends to whiff and leave a 4-5 count split. Never really cared for his sponsor. I don't like Brunswick equipment at all. Aside from that...I could've cared less.

Until the bottle b*tch comment he made to Belmo. That bugged me, especially about watching a documentary on the revival of the PBA and the standards they have or had. I've listened over and over to the match in question and haven't heard anything (probably my speakers not being good enough, if it did happen). Anyways, he still shouldn't have let that effect his game so much or make a big deal about it. A simple thank you for giving me a reason to pound strikes in your face would've worked. But nnnnnnnnnnooooooooooo...bottle b*tch. I'm all for wearing your emotions on your sleeve if you're that kind of person. I know I am. I laugh, talk, yell and all that mess myself, but I don't cuss out other players. I let my 270+ games beat their idiocy back into their seats.

Also I think there was an interesting mention about the TV production and the context of everything. We all know it, the PBA is desperate for ratings. And so far this last month they must've gotten it. Belmo's 300, to Blanchard's fall to Osko's win and now Williams' win. However, as someone mentioned before, a rivalry would really help. And who exactly has taken issue with all these bowlers from other nations in the PBA? Hmmmm...oh right. Sean Rash. There's his Belmo incident (and he and Belmo have been bowling in the last few shows), some conflict with Stu Williams that we don't know about, a comment about Osko needing to learn how it is in the PBA (didn't that guy just win a major?), and Ruiz well that's just being arrogant the way he said he'd prefer himself to win. I'm not saying he shouldn't have, but he could've said it better in my opinion. So there's at least 2 that Rash has, I'm sure if Osko cares, and Ruiz is up and coming so we'll have to see.

Now on to this last week. The feud between Williams and Rash, we know nothing about. There is apparently a personality clash. That could be the emotional v stoic bowling styles or not. We don't know. However, the camera has been zoomed in on Rash the last few weeks because he has been winning and has had all of this past conflict and is emotional.

Something else I noticed. Anybody notice how Rash was meant to come across as the arrogant [censored] and Williams the loveable oaf? That's kind of on Rash, but also on the production and TV crew. Not saying Rash isn't an arrogant [censored], but I don't think asking such polarizing questions should be asked especially if you are trying have some sort of standards about the league. Meh, but do we know? We aren't in the PBA. We don't know how it is. nut seeingstars

The Demolition Man
Posted by: Kitten Latch

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/25/12 07:57 AM

Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
Now on to this last week. The feud between Williams and Rash, we know nothing about. There is apparently a personality clash. That could be the emotional v stoic bowling styles or not. We don't know. However, the camera has been zoomed in on Rash the last few weeks because he has been winning and has had all of this past conflict and is emotional.

Something else I noticed. Anybody notice how Rash was meant to come across as the arrogant [censored] and Williams the loveable oaf? That's kind of on Rash, but also on the production and TV crew. Not saying Rash isn't an arrogant [censored], but I don't think asking such polarizing questions should be asked especially if you are trying have some sort of standards about the league. Meh, but do we know? We aren't in the PBA. We don't know how it is. nut seeingstars

Williams is very stoic. I remember him letting out a little noise on xtra frame during the masters after he flushed some strikes while his opponent threw some poor shots that brooklyn'd. The commentators were very quick to point out that it's the first time they've heard him get fired up in a match. Dude's very cool.

And yeah, Rash has had the spotlight for being ridiculously good in the South Point lanes (he's been second and first in wsob qualifiers held there) but on the TV constructed pair there's no track area built up and that's obviously affecting his game, he just hasn't got the room, unless the guys break the lanes down well like they did for Sean's world championshp pod.

Espn can't do much when the words out of Sean's mouth are basically 'I'm better than everyone else, I'm the story here gimme everything'.
Posted by: slaterracing

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/25/12 10:28 AM

I cannot stand Rash. His entire personality is RASH, My son and I were watching the show and this time my wife was sitting in there watching as well. After about 10 mins of the show she says "I dont know what it is but the guy in the yellow shirt just does not look like a nice person" my son and I who follow and watch all the PBA events just started to laugh and agreed then when his little interview about Stu came just she said "Yep i knew he was jerk" . The thing with Belmo was also just way over the top. Like another had said i went and watched that team show over and over again turned my surround sound all the way up and did not hear a thing. Also it is not like it was for a masters title or anything it was a team tournament that ment nothing at all.

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/25/12 11:59 AM

The Belmo/Rash thing has been beaten to death in another thread.

First, I clearly heard the bottle cracking. he did it twice in that show and since Belmo apologized after the second time then that should show you that he definitely did it.

Doesn't matter if it were for a masters tourney, a viper championship or a team event. Money is money and they all want to win it.

Yes, Rash did go over the top. Have you noticed that Belmo does not use the water bottle anymore? He uses a cup...

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/25/12 06:39 PM

I did notice that spillup or Belmo will use one of those glass water bottles.

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/25/12 06:52 PM

Williams is a good bowler on any tour. Remember this tournament was a 14 game qualifyer then the top 4 made TV. This wasn't a 40 game tournament with match play where the cream usually rises to the top to make television. So yes Williams did win but I question if he or Ruiz really would've been successful if it were a standard type tournament.

On the other hand he did qualify in what the tourney guidlines were so congrats to him.

To be fair over 40 games for the World championships which consisted of all the pattern qualifiers and a cashers round he finished 4th with a +1023 and Ruiz was 7th with +921 so I think that proves that they are able to go the distance somewhat. Only time will tell how successful they will be over time though.

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/25/12 07:02 PM

Quote:
To be fair over 40 games for the World championships which consisted of all the pattern qualifiers and a cashers round he finished 4th with a +1023 and Ruiz was 7th with +921 so I think that proves that they are able to go the distance somewhat. Only time will tell how successful they will be over time though.

Very valid point....I always like to root for the fat guy! Mike Devanney, Jason Couch and now Williams will be on my list to root for.
Posted by: tbill

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/28/12 09:20 AM

maybe it's time to combine bowling and 'professional wrestling', just picture it.........

.....bowler one comes out of the tunnel [with a big screen behing him showing all action], grabs a mic and starts talking trash, then climbs thru the ropes to the lanes. bowler two comes out, same deal, talks trash, then into the roped off lanes.

the match starts, bowler one throws a strike, on the way back to the approach, bowler two jumps off the top rope and crashes bowler one to the ground.......

leave a split, and it's a figure 4 leg lock baby!!

haha.............that'll boost the ratings for sure.......

now for something completely different.............

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/28/12 01:17 PM

HAHA tbill great post

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/28/12 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: whitepuffin
Williams is a good bowler on any tour. Remember this tournament was a 14 game qualifyer then the top 4 made TV. This wasn't a 40 game tournament ....
To be fair over 40 games for the World championships which consisted of all the pattern qualifiers and a cashers round he finished 4th with a +1023...

It turns out that - at least that week, on that pattern, Williams was better than any PBA bowler. QED.

However, I think all Rash was saying was that different lane conditions, a non-stop unrelenting life of drive-then-bowl-then-drive, and the incredible depth of talent of all styles that follows this grinding circuit presents a formidable uphill climb to anyone entering the PBA tour - as Rash has found out.

btw - if QED threw you for a loop, it means quod erat demonstrandum.....

Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
Anybody notice how Rash was meant to come across as the arrogant [censored] and Williams the loveable oaf? - The Demolition Man
What? You didn't read my post?
To repeat - "40 seconds of orchestrated poop."

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 01/30/12 06:35 PM

I did Galoot but by the time I got around to posting at like midnight I had forgotten. nut seeingstars

You were right though. Orchestrated poop it was.
Posted by: looseleftie

Re: Rash on ESPN this weekend - 02/01/12 02:05 AM

I love watching passionate and emotional bowlers... Love it!!

I still remember when I first heard Rash's "yeah baby yeah" lol..
Still love Parker's range of emotions, intense...

Theres a Sean Rash, in every sport, hes the guy u particularly enjoy beating on a personal level... He certainly can improve his overall disposition on and off lanes.. Still, hes young, or youngish, theres plenty of time perhaps???

Either way, he needs to go to the dentist, as the gap between his bottom teeth is bloody annoying to look at, he reminds me of the hill billy red neck on the Simpsons..