Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!?

Posted by: BIGHMW

Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/19/10 07:56 PM

I have heard lots of garbage come out of Rob Stone's mouth the past several years, but this week he REALLY has dug himself a HUGE hole, especially with the Korean-American community, as during the telecast of the Scorpion Championship, I was watching 48-year-old Korean KPBA star Yong-Jin Gu (his idol BTW is PBA/USBC Hall Of Famer Norm Duke because he is as small as he is, and we ALL know what Duke can do with a bowling ball) tear it up from the left side of the lane, nailing the 1-2 pocket with every shot, and Rob Stone was butchering him as he was calling the shots, including trying to find out how to say his trademark "hambone" in Korean, but instead, wound up with the translation for "4-bagger", but even worse than that, he started calling him "Doctor Gu", and finally the coup-de-gras and the last straw for him, he put on a pair of shades like the ones Yong-Jin Gu was wearing, that indeed was all I can stand from Rob Stone, period. If I was Korean-American, I'd be writing some letters to the PBA about this, and here is one I saw on their site:

"Why is this an upset? There are a number of great international players out there. He taught all the others a lesson. They do not bowl the PBA all the time because of the low money given on tour which is not even enough to cover his travels. When the prize funds get higher, they will be here. The only good thing is that due to the worthless size of PBA trophies these days, like Mr. Gu won, it will be easier to pass TSA checks. Professional bowling will go international. There are a number of Asian and European great players not to mention other places too. After these next miserable 9 weeks, you will see the top American players once again going international to make a living....and for the Women? Where is this Women's series? Two tournaments and that's it? That is Pro Bowling to make a living? And one other thing - Stone and Pedersen, stop making fun of international players and their languages. Many, especially Europeans, speak at least 3-4 other languages besides their own. Gu deserves an apology for all this "Doctor Gu" "Or strange inside him" etc. Be respectful for these other players please. You two are no comedians at all."

Joe Fernandez
Posted by: slaterracing

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/19/10 09:14 PM

I do not know at all were you are coming from on this. Rob liked him alot. Was chearing for him. And even defended him on air when others said he was a hack in qualifing. Sure Rob likes to play around alot and can get a little over the top but there was no disrespect at all from him.
Posted by: BIGHMW

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/19/10 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: slaterracing
I do not know at all were you are coming from on this. Rob liked him alot. Was chearing for him. And even defended him on air when others said he was a hack in qualifing. Sure Rob likes to play around alot and can get a little over the top but there was no disrespect at all from him.

Yeah, maybe you're right about that, but I did find the "Doctor Gu" thing was a bit too much. And BTW, Yong-Jin Gu is no hack, that is for darn sure, I don't think a so-called "hack" can systematically pick apart the top players in the world (literally), like he did in this event, indeed he made history on 2 fronts, becoming one of two Koreans to ever make the show, but also winning it.

Also, I have a pair of those shiny pants like he wore on the show, I got them on eBay from JeJe Homme in South Korea about a year ago (Asian size 36/U.S. size 34), in my hopes of trying to get the same if not similar pants like Danny Wiseman has worn for TV shows the past several years, but mine are in black as opposed to the heather grey ones he was sporting, he not only had a great look (ball reaction-wise) on the lanes but also a great look with his wardrobe as well, Well done Gu, you earned these kudos from me and I am sure many Korean-Americans can look up to you as their bowling hero as well. smile

Also, he idolizes PBA/USBC Hall Of Famer Norm Duke due to him being in similar size to him, so obviously he's seen him on TV before, and I am sure many times at that.

Now with this victory, does he get a spot in the T of C, and that coveted exempt status for next season? If he does get an exemption for next season with his victory he will be a force to reckon with come 2011-12.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/19/10 09:39 PM

What exactly did he do that was disrespectful to the Koren community? He dubbed the guy DR. Gu, which could be because of how well he was striking. He tried to find a word in the Gu's language, and you seem to be against it because he wanted to say hambone, which you are against, in Korean. Now I don't care for the word either, but it's of no importance to me. And then you make it sound like he went and stole Gu's sunglasses and put them on, even though you say he had a pair like his. What was wrong with doing that? You just don't like Stone and are looking for any reason to bash him.

As for the guy you quoted off of the PBA site, which by what I hear is full of guys just like this guy always finding something to complain about. It's an upset because it's a bowler that most in the US know very little about, and he came up out of the first match to win the tournament. He beat only one seed that was below him.
Posted by: spillup24

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/19/10 10:17 PM

Seriously dude you need to get a life if you are bothered that Rob Stone called him Dr Gu. Should Jack Jurek be mad because Rob calls him "Jack the Ripper"? Maybe Malott should be made because Rob calls him "The Big nasty". Rob calls the action well and adds some fun to it. If that bothers you then you have other issues that you need to deal with.
Posted by: B-Hammer

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/19/10 10:26 PM

Thought Rob was fine, we were talking about the same Dr. Evil thing in chat before Rob brought it up so I guess you better group me in the same group as Rob.

Fact is that Gu is interesting and entertaining, from the silver pants to the glasses to the way he cheers for himself, he has a goofiness to him (intentional or not) that made him easy to cheer for. He was an underdog in the fact that he didn't have the pure power that everyone else had on the show.

Posted by: champ

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 12:09 AM

I didn't find anything direspectful, but I can say that I deeply dislike the approach they are taking to the coverage. Sure they want the coverage to be exciting enough to hold non-bowling viewers, but the programs they are producin seem to be spoofs to me. I see no prestigebeing put on bowling. I'm not asking them to be squares, but some reverence could be shoed to the sport. After watching one, I doubt I'll watch another.
Posted by: aoiten

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 01:24 AM

One time Randy Pederson called the pins "ten little white guys" which was funny, but I'm sure he regretted it. heh

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 11:02 AM

I truly believe the reason the shows are lacking a bit is because they aren't LIVE. These shows are recorded from a month ago. The show is so much better when it is live and the pressure on the bowlers is much more when it is live TV rather than taped. When Randy metions that Scott Norton has to face the pressure of "Live TV" I really discounted it because it is not live....it was taped. That is my opinion.

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 12:01 PM

The shows being taped are done the same way as the live shows. There is no difference. Now the stuff they do over the summer is a different story, as many times part of the commentary will be done after the event is over since they break up the event over weeks when it was bowled in two days.

Also for the bowlers bowling on "Live TV," it's the same. You have the stands, the lights, and the cameras, all something they don't have during the week, and really only happens for the tv shows. Plus it's going to be shown nationally. That's where the pressure is. It's not like they rehearse what is going to happen.
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 12:21 PM

Even in the chat, some of us remarked that he looked, with the bald head and sunglasses, like Dr. Evil from the "Austin Powers" movies...I found that a bit amusing.

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 12:28 PM

Just watched the Scorpion matches on YouTube. It sounded like the announcers like and respect Gu.

Jun-Yung Kim was brilliant, too.

(Is taping the fingers primarily a "Pacific" thing? A bunch of P-League women do that. I suggested it to my wife since she is getting some callouses and experiences grip burn sometimes.)

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 12:56 PM

I have seen several American Pro bowlers tape up the fingers. Wes Malott does, at least on occasion and I know I've seen others. Pete Weber uses the glove for the same reason others tape those fingers up, to protect the fingers from cuts and calluses. Now I don't see too many using anything on the knuckle side of the thumb on the Tour, but have seen it done in leagues.

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 01:50 PM

The feeling of a taped show is not even close to the amount of pressure of a live Television Event. Don i know from experience? I don't but it is just obvious to me that the pressure is different. The entire ambiance is different. The entire event is different. A regular event is one week long bowling 40+ games and then Round robin the next day and then TV the following day. These events are not even close to that.

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 02:39 PM

Actually most tournaments start on Tuesday, sometimes Wednesday, not all of them have a Round Robin. Most of the time they don't bowl on Saturday at all and then Sunday is the show. The show is the show no matter how you look at it. It's rarely the same format as the rest of the tournament. It's lose one game and you are done, with the lights, cameras and audience.

You are equating the format of the whole event to changing how being in front of the larger audience with the extra lights for the cameras and all the cameras for tv into changing the significance of the show being taped or live. I guess you would feel the same way if they played the Superbowl, taped it then aired it later. It wouldn't have the same pressure. Most of the time the Olympics are tape delayed, do the participants feel any less pressure to perform just because they might not be live on tv? I doubt it. Let's face it, all of the Tour finals are taped while they are live, to use at later times, does that mean when it's replayed the pressure is less?

I'm sure if you ask Bill O'Neill, he would tell you they are the same, with the only difference being the show is aired at a later time. Let's face it, all of the Tour finals are taped while they are live, to use at later times

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 03:03 PM

Well, this is obviously going no where when you bring Olympics...which by the way are LIVE in the country where it is hosted and the Super Bowl. It's apples and oranges now. If you think thw WSOB animal tourneys are the same pressure as an actual live tournament then that's fine by me. I can actually sense how different the WSOB mini tournaments are than a real week long tourney. I am sure the players do as well. If you can't see the difference then that is fine by me.
Posted by: VampyreBowler

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 03:28 PM

First off, it doesn't matter whether you bowl tomorrow for the title to be broacast live tomorrow or you bowl tomorrow for the title tomorrow to be broadcast 6 months from you, you are still bowling for the title tomorrow and the pressure is still on.

Secondly, the whole WSOB has more pressure than your typical PBA tour stop because not only are you qualifying for each of the 5 animal patterns, you are also qualifying for the first major of the year. Most the reg stops you are bowling on one, maybe 2 of the different patterns for the whole tourney but daily you are switching up on the pattens qualifying was each pattern each day and doing match play on 1 pattern early then doing match play on a different one later in the day.
Posted by: B-Hammer

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 03:40 PM

I think the pressure is the same, look what happened to both bowlers are the end of the match, that's just nerves to me.

However translating it 100% to the broadcast is different because you don't have the live tv delays and they can speed up the pace via editing, if something happens like a cell phone going off or a bowler wants to start over they can just edit it out to make sure the event ends on time. You also know that your not going into extra frames because it will always end on time. It's a small but I do think part of the suspense is diminished similar to poker on TV where you know when it's the final hand by the clock, a player isn't going to escape an all in when it's 10:58, that's going to be the last hand.

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 03:59 PM

Some events still aren't broadcast live in the country they are taking place and tape-delayed to later times, which is exactly what is going on for these "non-live" championship rounds. By bringing up the Olympics and the Superbowl I was demonstrating how your argument that because it's not being putting on the air right at the same time it is happening that it doesn't mean the pressure isn't the same. If they play the Superbowl one Sunday but then don't play it on the tv to the next it's still the same pressure off winning. That's the point I'm trying to prove about the PBA telecast. The WSOB isn't mini tournaments, if anything it's a marathon of bowling and even more pressure oriented as VampyreBowler as mentioned.

Before last season these "animal" tournaments were normal stops in a different city each week but they were bowling on the animal patterns. At one point most of the stops were on the animal patterns but just had other names for the actual tournament.

You bring up in a normal tournament of 40+ games of qualifying and so on. Well all the shows are taped on Friday and Saturday after they started bowling competitively earlier in the week, bowling multiple patterns. Most of the bowlers bowled all of the events of the WSOB. If they were skilled and lucky enough to make the show they are bowling the telecast for a PBA tour title. If you want to argue because of the format the pressure is different, then when they have introduced new events and formats the past couple of years, it was different then too, like the Marathon, Plastic Ball, Elinator and so on.

I guess in 2007 when they tape delayed the show from 1 pm to 8 pm there was no pressure for Patrick Allen because it wasn't live. I think you are reading way too much in to the "Live" part. All that means is that it is being put on the air as it happens, but the pressure is there to win if you are on the show.
Posted by: Sevens

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/20/10 07:00 PM

Lol, I thought rob stone was hilarious. The Doctor Gu was genius. My advice? Stop trying to make everything everybody says "politically correct" by writing letters to ESPN for rob stone putting on sun glasses and coming up with a nick name(lol). I mean come on, really?
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/21/10 12:22 PM

Another reason the WSOB had more pressure is because you had two weeks to attempt to qualify for an exemption. If you had an off week of bowling you can kiss half of the PBA season (and your exemption) goodbye.

Also, rather than the normal 64 getting a paycheck, during the WSOB only the top 16 of each event got paid. That adds a huge amount of pressure because every single open means you can miss a paycheck.

When there are less games to make cuts it means every frame is huge. In a typical 36-48 game tournament a bad game you might be able to cover up, but when you only get 12 games a single bad game can really force you to push. Its like the NFL, every sunday matters, while MLB they have 162 games, they lose a few and its no big deal.
Posted by: wklstoy

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/21/10 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
I have seen several American Pro bowlers tape up the fingers. Wes Malott does, at least on occasion and I know I've seen others. Pete Weber uses the glove for the same reason others tape those fingers up, to protect the fingers from cuts and calluses. Now I don't see too many using anything on the knuckle side of the thumb on the Tour, but have seen it done in leagues.

I use tape on both my fingers and a complete wrap on my thumb because it keeps the release consistent, and it keeps me from getting blisters. I use the Vacu Grips in my finger holes, and I have them pretty tight.

I have to say I loved watching him bowl and loved that he won because he's almost my age, and I use the same large wrist positioner in order to get at least decent revs on the ball. I'm always getting advice that it's only a "training device"; well maybe now I won't hear that so much anymore.

BTW, did anyone else notice that when he took it off for a 7-pin spare he had almost no revs at all on the ball? That's kind of how I roll my corner pin spares.
Posted by: J_w73

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/21/10 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Sevens
Lol, I thought rob stone was hilarious. The Doctor Gu was genius. My advice? Stop trying to make everything everybody says "politically correct" by writing letters to ESPN for rob stone putting on sun glasses and coming up with a nick name(lol). I mean come on, really?

I agree.. Both announcers took a liking to the guy and were trying to be entertaining. They were not being racist or degrading. Just making dumb jokes.

Political correctness has ruined this country.

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/21/10 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: J_w73

My nomination for quote of the year!

This is 100% accurate.

The way I look at it, its easy, don't let anything offend you. I don't care if you called me a good for nothing white guy/[censored-HS]/whatever you want, it won't bother me because I don't let it.

If we tell little kids "sticks and stones...words will never hurt me" then why can adults not live by the same ideology?

I also think its funny that almost always the people that point out so called offensive or degrading remarks/emblems/gestures are almost never associated in any way with the culture that is supposedly getting ridiculed.

Its like the Florida State Seminoles, the tribe likes the name, yet thousands of people (non indian) every year fight saying that the name is offensive to Native Americans. How would they know?

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/21/10 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: wklstoy
I use tape on both my fingers and a complete wrap on my thumb because it keeps the release consistent, and it keeps me from getting blisters. I use the Vacu Grips in my finger holes, and I have them pretty tight.

I have to say I loved watching him bowl and loved that he won because he's almost my age...

Yeah, Gu pwned the younger guys and he would squat down really low AND be able to stand straight up again. I'd say he's in good shape for an "old" guy. hehe (Tonight my leg felt like it was going to break off at the hip, and I'm younger than Gu.)

Could you tell me how exactly you wrap your fingers and what type of tape you use? Maybe PM me.

Oh, BTW, I had a "record" pure two-handing score tonight. Only 198, but that's pretty good for me. I was having trouble when I thought of how Gu shot up the outside of the lane, so I tried it. For me, the 2nd arrow is the extreme outside. It helped.
Posted by: tbill

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/22/10 08:35 PM

ya, no one bowling has a nick name.

to me GU is dr evil, no malice involved, he has a certain likeness to that character in my mind, end of story.

he came, he saw, he won.

i also made a remark that he reminded me of a typical league bowler due to some of his reactions after releasing the ball, good, bad, or indifferent, that's how i saw it.

being PC is over rated.....
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/23/10 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
Originally Posted By: J_w73

My nomination for quote of the year!

This is 100% accurate.

The way I look at it, its easy, don't let anything offend you. I don't care if you called me a good for nothing white guy/[censored-HS]/whatever you want, it won't bother me because I don't let it.

If we tell little kids "sticks and stones...words will never hurt me" then why can adults not live by the same ideology?

I also think its funny that almost always the people that point out so called offensive or degrading remarks/emblems/gestures are almost never associated in any way with the culture that is supposedly getting ridiculed.

Its like the Florida State Seminoles, the tribe likes the name, yet thousands of people (non indian) every year fight saying that the name is offensive to Native Americans. How would they know?

I agree with a ton of that. Not enough teaching of the sticks and stones philosophy these days, I am afraid. People are taught to take offense quickly now-a-days.

I am not offended by the Seminole nick at all (yes, I am part Amerind). Chief Wahoo in Cleveland just HAS to go though. Do you understand the difference? One is respectful and the other is mocking. Context makes all the difference, sometimes.

Let's take it a step farther. Isn't it about time we got rid of the hyphen? Native-American, Irish-American, etc.,etc.?
I have heritage from North America and several locations in Europe, but >>I<< was born here. So were my parents. I am an American (period).

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/23/10 09:34 AM

6_ball_man,

Sorry for my ignorance but I am not sure what Chief Wahoo is mocking exactly? Is it because he is a cartoon indian? I just don't know enough to know why its considered so taboo but some of the others are not.

As a side note my wife is actually a blond haired, blue eyed Blackfoot/Chippewa (50% total).
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/23/10 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
6_ball_man,

Sorry for my ignorance but I am not sure what Chief Wahoo is mocking exactly? Is it because he is a cartoon indian? I just don't know enough to know why its considered so taboo but some of the others are not.

As a side note my wife is actually a blond haired, blue eyed Blackfoot/Chippewa (50% total).

For the record, I am 1/8 Crow, but I look more Euro than Amerind. And I never go by that. It is just a fact of my life.

For one, the Cleveland club is called the "Indians." In the days WAY before political correctetude, the team's owner solicited a new team name from the media. THEY chose indians.
"Indian" is a RACE. Substitute any other race and do you see why it may be deemed offensive? They should go back to one of their previous nicks (Blues or Lakeshores). Even their current unoffical nick wouldn't be bad (the Tribe). That all has to do with the name, though.
The cartoon drawing of "Chief Wahoo" complete with one feather (I understood chiefs had earned more feathers by the time they became a chief?) looks demeaning. Perhaps I am being too sensitive, even though I have no real right to be. A silly grin on a completely red face. The Natives I have been around don't look "red" so much as brown to my eye, but that's just me and my limited experiences. We haven't quite gotten past this as a society yet, but I think it will happen in our lifetime that sports franchises and logos will no longer depict a person strictly due to their race.There must be several million options that could be invoked without offending anyone, intentionally or not. Some day, they will choose one without anyone forcing them to do it, but simply because it is the right thing to do.
[/soapbox]

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/23/10 11:59 PM

My mother was full-blooded Japanese. My brother, 1/2 Japanese, created a character called the Geisha Monster. He would put on a kimono and a wig and act like a quite unusual 6-foot tall Geisha. My mother would laugh herself to tears. Right or wrong? Who cares? heh
Posted by: tbill

Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? - 12/24/10 10:10 AM

i wouldn't worry too much about proffessional sports team names too much, because in a few years they will all be corporate named teams, i.e. team fed-x, team ups, team bank america, etc., there won't be any mascots anymore.......