Earl Anthony Dead at 63

Posted by: Angel

Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/14/01 07:24 PM

Bowling legend Earl Anthony has died while on a vacation in Wisconsin. He was 63.

Full story: http://www.bowlingfans.com/news/news08142001.shtml

We wish to send our sympathies to his family.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/14/01 10:53 PM

Over the years I got a lot of autographs from the legend. He was always kind and gracious.

I will miss you Mr. Anthony!

My condolences to Mr. Anthony's family.
Posted by: The Fish Bowl

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/14/01 11:00 PM

My condolences to the family. Earl was one of a kind !
Posted by: Krusty The Clown

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/14/01 11:07 PM

This is a sad day. I'll miss you Earl!
Posted by: usr bin geek

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/14/01 11:28 PM

Thank you Mr. Anthony for all those entertaining afternoons of professional bowling on ABC.

You were certainly one of the coolest bowlers under pressure and never disappointed bowling fans.

My condolences to your family.
Posted by: eric820

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/15/01 12:02 AM

I was sad to hear the news about Earl. He was just getting on a roll in the early 70s when my dad (Max Jensen) was finishing up his 2 1/2 year stint on Tour. I'm sure he'd feel the same way...a somber day for bowling.
Posted by: Express

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/15/01 12:56 AM

Earl was Tiger Woods before there was a Tiger Woods. He inspired anyone who watched him and created an interest in the game through his passion.

We all miss you Earl!
Posted by: ZFAM14

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/15/01 11:31 AM

Earl Anthony was one of the modern day heroes of bowling. My condolences to his family.
Posted by: bowl4life

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/15/01 11:45 AM

My condolences to the many friends and family of Earl Anthony.

My children were introduced to the sport of bowling watching Earl on the Saturday ABC Wide World of Sports telecasts, and learning from his instructional videotapes.

Bowling has lost a pioneer in our sport, a dear friend, and a role model for us all, both on the lanes and in his personal life.

Earl was the original class act.

Rest in peace, Earl, we will all miss you
terribly.
Posted by: iumatrix

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/15/01 01:41 PM

i don't think there is a bad thing anyone can say about Earl Anthony... wish everyone was like that but you can't replace people like him. He will be greatly missed and on behalf of everyone, may he rest in peace and will always be remembered.
Posted by: George Freeman

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/15/01 04:43 PM

In the world of professional athletes, a select few transend their sport, making them recognizable with one name....

Micheal.

Tiger.

Yogi.

Earl.

The sporting world will miss Earl Anthony.
Posted by: Iron Chef

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/15/01 11:13 PM

what a shock this is! I'm so upset. Earl Anthony was the greatest bowler ever and he got me interested in this game. I used to watch him every weekend.
Posted by: wld wes

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/16/01 12:19 AM

Say it isn't so! The greatest bowler of our time has passed away. Deepest sympathy to his family & friends. Mr. Anthony was the heart and soul of the PBA tour when it was on ABC tv during the 70's & 80's...you could always depend on The Doomsday Stroking Machine making the telecast and wowing his fans with another win. We will miss you Earl.
Posted by: sraddue

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/16/01 01:04 AM

A sad day indeed. A man of class and grace
is no longer with us, and our sport is
surely worse off because of his passing.
We'll miss you, Earl! But we won't forget
you.
Posted by: dr. detroit

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/16/01 11:48 AM

Earl Anthony was a great champion with a competitive desire that burned hotly. Losing or not bowling well didn't sit well with him, but he always took the time to deal with news media and fans. He was the best and he will be missed. Sincerest condolences to Susie.
Posted by: RW268

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/16/01 11:18 PM

So long Earl you'll be missed
Posted by: the hammer

Re: Earl Anthony Dead at 63 - 08/17/01 12:28 AM

earl anthony made the pba what is today he will alaways have a place in my heart. a long time ago he sent me a autograph picture of himself and i will alaways cherrish it. and i think the pba should have a tournament name after him or the player of the year award should be named after him .something to hononr this great man.