Ryan Ciminelli

Posted by: BIGHMW

Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 12:11 PM

I'll tell you guys that this 21-year-old can BRING IT from outside the first arrow, and especially when he is given an outside line to play with so he can use his Storm Natural urethane ball (to cut the amount of hook down as he generates a very high rev-rate) and rip the finger holes out of it, but I have a few things to ask

Will he be as successful as he has been so far in his just young career if

1) He either had to use a reactive ball on some patterns, in which for some shots that he throws might over-react

or

2) He has to play in and swing it from the deep-inside line as opposed to firing it up from the extreme-outside line

What do you think???

I also say that to be the complete package that I think he will become soon, he just needs to not throw a tentative shot coming out of commercial break (as he did against WRW this past Sunday, when he left the 4-6-10).
Posted by: Vini

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 01:26 PM

I think that boy ROCKS !

And I go for the 2-nd option
Posted by: B-Hammer

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 01:28 PM

People were talking in another thread that at the masters everyone had to play deep even WRWJ, so I'm assuming the lefties did as well which might mean Ryan was playing a deeper line with a more angular ball. If xtra frame is still free might want to check the earlier round coverage.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 01:39 PM

I can't wait to see Ciminelli make a show on something like the Shark, so we can see him rip into a reactive.
Posted by: Hooker

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 01:46 PM

Time will tell. He has been fun to watch. He has had success this season. I like the fact that he throws urethane(very interesting) He throws nice and hard and has had composure(TV finals verses WRWJ and Duke....thats pressure) But time will tell....People said the same thing about Sean Rash after he got out of college and look here years after winning the Masters....he has been laying eggs, especially on tv and not converting easy spares. Rash seems lost.

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 02:30 PM

It is funny though...
Ryan seems to force the ball (not a free swing), and still he made it to the telecast ! lol !
Posted by: trekguy

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Vini
It is funny though...
Ryan seems to force the ball (not a free swing), and still he made it to the telecast ! lol !

There's a difference between forcing the swing and accelerating through the release. Ciminelli, Robert Smith, Sean Rash, etc have relaxed swings, but when it comes time to unload the release, they definitely put some energy into it(the release). The arm. wrist, and hand load up in the swing, and then unload/snap through the ball at the point of release. For us, the idea is to roll it smoothly off of your hand... well, they just roll it off of their hands with a good deal more snap than most everyone else. wink

The trick is to let the ball fall, relaxed arm, then still be strong with the wrist/hand. Neat trick if you can master it... been working on it all season. smile

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 03:12 PM

Ciminelli reminds me of "The Buzzsaw" from a few years back the way he curls up that arm and snaps it through. I think he's the real thing....solid form, and power.

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 05:33 PM

did you master it ?
I mean the snap.
I have tried it few times but it is soon for me. When I tried it I ended up forcing my swing. so for now 250-300 revs will have to do.
Posted by: MikeHL

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: trekguy
Ciminelli reminds me of "The Buzzsaw" from a few years back the way he curls up that arm and snaps it through.

John Gant! Yeah, now that you mention it I can kinda see it, too. Good call. smile When the lane condition gave Gant room to send that ball left and let it go to work, it was usually boom, 10 in the pit.
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 06:38 PM

Ciminelli did good on the Shark in the RPI. I bet he learns to back off on the fingers a bit so he can use reactive equipment. Urethane seems to quit hitting after a while, once the carry down pushes the oil down the lane and the heads break down the ball doesn't seem to have enough to turn the corner after a while.

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Ciminelli did good on the Shark in the RPI. I bet he learns to back off on the fingers a bit so he can use reactive equipment. Urethane seems to quit hitting after a while, once the carry down pushes the oil down the lane and the heads break down the ball doesn't seem to have enough to turn the corner after a while.

During the match, he said exactly that. He also said that he had another ball to go to once it started to carry down. Never pulled the trigger on that move though.

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Vini
did you master it ?
I mean the snap.
I have tried it few times but it is soon for me. When I tried it I ended up forcing my swing. so for now 250-300 revs will have to do.

Ahhh, no. Well, sort of... still working on it. The unloading of the wrist part came pretty easily, but I did have problems getting the proper amount of axis rotation for a while (sept-dec)... as in, do everything right, but the ball doesn't come up to the pocket because I would come straight up the back of the ball. Ugh. frown And yes, I catch myself forcing the swing now and again... for some reason, it's usually the middle two of the four game set. Again, the tricky part is to be strong with the release while letting the ball fall into the swing. Right now, I'm content to just unload the wrist and come though smoothly. Once I have that down, and get bored with it, I'll probably try to accelerate it some. smile
Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/16/10 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: trekguy
There's a difference between forcing the swing and accelerating through the release. ....
The trick is to let the ball fall, relaxed arm, then still be strong with the wrist/hand.

Now you tell me!

Every word is true, but it took a coaching session for me to find this out.

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/17/10 05:16 AM

I am sorry to say this: But I am glad that I have friends on this topic. I thought I was too slow on learning the release.
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: Ryan Ciminelli - 02/17/10 06:04 AM

Quote:
During the match, he said exactly that. He also said that he had another ball to go to once it started to carry down. Never pulled the trigger on that move though.

Now Ciminelli is sitting at home wondering what would have happened if he made the switch. If you are thinking "I might need to make an adjustment here" do it, take the chance more than likely you are right, if not it is only one frame lost and you will know better where you need to move to to make the ball you were using work or to make the ball change from a deeper part of the lane.

Bowling on modern conditions with modern equipment is all about making adjustments and knowing when to make them. Knowing this is what give you the confidence you need to perform at a high level, being right 75% of the time allows you to perform at the highest level. The winner on tour is usually the guy who guesses right and makes the changes when they need to be made. Once in a long while the lanes and conditions will be just right for only you and your favorite ball, it does happen, but it is rare. It happened to me once I threw a 788 and threw three good shots it seemed, but I could do no wrong, and got a nice trophy for it, people win the lottery too.