PBA x-tra frame is free next week

Posted by: spr3wr

PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/04/10 06:44 PM

During USBC Masters Week, PBA.com’s Xtra Frame is Free

http://news.pba.com/post/2010/2/2/During-USBC-Masters-Week-PBAcome28099s-Xtra-Frame-is-Free.aspx
Posted by: flowmerc

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/04/10 07:09 PM

sweet. does it work on a mac?
Posted by: beefers1

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/05/10 12:41 AM

Too bad there're only 200 entries at the Masters this year. That's down over 50% from last year, isn't it?

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/05/10 01:25 AM

Wow, prize money continues to go down for all of the majors. And they're still saying that the PBA's doing well?!
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/05/10 11:06 AM

Maybe they say they are doing well because everyone is losing right now, maybe they are just losing less?

I mean lets say golf has a purse of 5 mil at one of their majors and its down from 7 mil last year, if bowling went from 100k to 90k percentage wise it might be ok based on national trends.

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/05/10 03:02 PM

Well the USBC Masters went from $350,000 to only $250k this year, and the US Open is only $350k now ($60k top prize instead of $100k). Wasn't it around $380k last year?

The TOC also took a great hit. And the only reason the PBA Championship didn't was probably because they limited the number of entries (less cash spots).
Posted by: JHoney

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/05/10 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: flowmerc
sweet. does it work on a mac?

Yes, I have a sub for xtra frame and it works on Mac
Posted by: VFF57

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/06/10 09:53 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

When I went to the site it mentioned this:

Quote:
And, not only will fans get expanded Masters coverage, they will also be able to check out hundreds of hours of archived bowling programming during “free week.”

Does anybody know how far this goes back in time?
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/07/10 12:57 AM

If you go to the Xtra Frame site, even without being logged in, you can see everything that's available to watch.

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/07/10 07:10 PM

Thanks.
Posted by: DavefromHillsdale

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/09/10 12:35 PM

I'm confused. When I click on the link, the video screen comes up and it just plays this 9 second promo and doesn't show anything else.

Duhhhhh....
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/09/10 01:41 PM

Its working fine for me. Do you have silverlight installed? The video is using a new embeded video player and you can download it from their link on the xtra frame site.
Posted by: DavefromHillsdale

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/09/10 02:06 PM

Yes, I had Silverlight installed. I went to lunch and came back and it seems to be working now. Maybe I just hopped on there too early...

It's snowing like the dickens here and it looks like League is gonna be cancelled tonight... I'm very sad.... frown
Posted by: flowmerc

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/09/10 04:10 PM

wow xtra frame is terrible..keeps on refreshing every 5 mins and is laggy as hell. i would never pay 65 a year for this
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/09/10 04:56 PM

Xtra frame should be free period.

It would drum up some sort of following for this dying sport instead of sucking the last bit of life from it.

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/09/10 07:34 PM

Installed the Silverlight and so far it works good.

Quote:
Xtra frame should be free period

I agree. If it was free it may attract more people to the sport. From what I see the archived ESPN stuff has commercials so can't some revenue be generated via sponsors?

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/13/10 03:50 PM

I watched PBA Xtra Frame this week and here are my thoughts on it.

1. I really think the guys doing the commentary do a great job and explain what is going on very well considering there is so much going on.

2. I like the camera angles better than what they have on ESPN. I must take back some of the stuff I have been saying about Scroggy, he was like a machine, and has a very nice swing and the ball is very close to his ankle and he is nowhere near as wobbly and off balance as he appears on ESPN with the horrible camera angles they have it makes lefties look unwatchable.

3. I love the way you can go on friends of the pba on facebook and ask questions and hear the answers back right then and there. This is the wave of the future, fan participation. You want to know what ball someone is using and what drill pattern and what surface, they knew all of it. Barnes was throwing a wine U dot at various points this week, if you see him throwing a red/purple ball on tv Sunday, that's it.

As much as I enjoyed watching it I don't think it is worth $70 a year for it. It should be free, if it was tv ratings would pick up since people would get into watching during the week and want to tune in to see who wins. If they can get their facebook page involved and answer questions during the show that would be a break through that other sports would have to copy.
Posted by: spr3wr

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/13/10 07:34 PM

I have to disagree with you on scroggy Jim. I saw him this week roll over 200 shot and he keep his balance maybe 35-40% of the time. As much as we dislike him everyone here wishes they could bowl exactly like him.
I agree with everything else

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/13/10 09:04 PM

Quote:
I have to disagree with you on scroggy Jim. I saw him this week roll over 200 shot and he keep his balance maybe 35-40% of the time. As much as we dislike him everyone here wishes they could bowl exactly like him.

Everyone here can bowl just like him, most of us take lessons so we don't laugh but seriously maybe I saw him in a good round, but the ball was tight to his ankle at the release on every shot even the ones he was off balance slightly. With the garbage camera angles they use on ESPN to me it looks like Scroggy is going to fall on his head every shot, and at no time did I see him make a shot that bad on Xtra frame where they shot him from behind.
Posted by: Smooth Stroker

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/14/10 12:49 AM

It should be free. I can't see paying the money for that every month. I did like the Barnes/Mallot match. That was very good. I thought they followed Belmo around too much. I couldn't seem to catch PDW. If they showed him, I missed it. The PDW-Edwards match seemed to be very close. I liked having the PBA bowlers on as commentators. Very informative. I loved watching Fagan loft the gutter cap.

Scroggins rarely misses the pocket. He's like a left handed WRW Jr. But still, I think it's Barnes to lose. And he's done that before.

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/14/10 01:49 AM

Looks like I picked a good fantasy team this week. Wes Malott, Sean Rash, Jack Jurek, Joe Ciccone and Mike Edwards. All but 1 made match play and all but one of those 4 made the top 11.

I watched a bit of match play and found the commentary to be quite insightful.
Posted by: TenPin_

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/14/10 01:39 PM

I had this same thought with the world series telecast where they showed the qualifying rounds, and now watching the video they have on Xtra Frame I still think this is how EVERY telecast should be, show the good, the bad, the boring. Reminds me of watching golf (which isn't ever by choice!), where everyone is competing at the same time and they jump from one hole to the next. Show viewers everything that goes on, how many people actually compete, the emotions during the various rounds, how doing well can quickly turn into losing, etc. The PBA should invest in a dozen high end consumer or "indie" level HD cameras and locate them around the center, switch between them when something exciting (good or bad) is happening, put them on pan / tilt mounts and you could have just one or two guys controlling all of them (plus some other supporting staff / director). Show highlights of the opening rounds but then cut to maybe the round of 16 or 8 for live broadcasting. They could still do a stepladder finals but have all the matches going at once until you get down to the final two so it doesn't take too long, since all of the above will already add a lot of more broadcast time.

I know...this takes money, which takes advertisers, which takes more viewers. I just can't believe that golf can do it and we can't!

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/14/10 05:24 PM

I'm watching the show right now on Justin.tv, after coming home from bowling a tournament. Can't wait to see what happens.

Re: PBA x-tra frame is free next week - 02/14/10 07:08 PM

Wow... congratulations Walter Ray Williams on title number 47 and first major title since 2006!