Warm ups without pins

Posted by: warhog19

Warm ups without pins - 03/28/09 03:13 PM

Anybody bowl in a league where the house won't use pins for warmups? The house for my current league decide it cause too much wear on the pins and constituted free bowling. They decide this this mid season with no notice. It is the only house in the are that does this.
Posted by: Mattdean76

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/28/09 03:34 PM

Wow, if that doesn't scream cheap, I don't know what does. You pay the house for your league, and that includes practice, they should be able to handle 5 minutes of practice with pins. Seriously, you only have to change the pins in a house like once a year, minus the occasional carnage. I think that's pretty sad on their part.

You should ask them if 5 minutes a night, once a week is really going to save them money in the long run. Figure you get 7 shots in practice, times 8 divided by 2 for a 4 person team. Thats 28 shots at the pins. That is about a game and a half to 2 games of wear total. Unless your center changes pins more than twice a year, they have no reason to do that. You can't get a fair assessment of how your ball will react to the pins, even tough you can see the movement of it. Have the officers of the league talked with the center about it?
Posted by: Matrix900

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/28/09 04:15 PM

I wish my center did this. I can find a line with or without pins. I know where the ball should be when it gets close to the rack. This would also get the people that just stand in the same spot and throw at the same spot over and over to only throw 1 or 2 balls. Around here way back when my dad bowled in 2 leagues a night they always did this. Its called shadow practice balls.
Posted by: Dr. Seuss

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/28/09 06:09 PM

Earl Anthony had a book on bowling and he used shadow bowling to become great. While this practice might scream as cheap, it does work both ways. If you go in to practice you could ask to shadow bowl, the house should give you a discount because now there is less wear and tear on the pins and pinsetter. Shadow bowling is a great way to practice if you are working on your approach or hitting the target on the lane, and you do not get caught up in pin reaction and score.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/28/09 06:21 PM

I've bowled in centers that did this many times. It does save wear and tear on the pins. At $15 a piece, 22 per rack, that's a lot of money in pins. If you have a busy center like ours where you have 1500 bowlers and they all get 10 min of practice each time, it is a lot of wear and tear. But it also runs the machines, ball lifts etc...and those are harder to replace. But its hard times now and every penny saved just might keep the business going a bit longer.

Erin
Posted by: Rocket

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/28/09 11:07 PM

Wow first I ever heard of it, but the next time I take my son to practice I am going to ask to do this, help break a young bowlers habit of looking up at the pins leaving his mark.

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/28/09 11:28 PM

I dont necessarily think the problem is the actual practice with no pins, but doing it in the middle of the league season where it could affect some of the bowlers. You are still running the ball returns, just not the pinsetter. I really think they should put it to a league vote to change something in the middle of a season, and if they do, at least reduce the cost for the bowlers if they are so into saving the money, you should pay less for saving them money.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/28/09 11:50 PM

Well since practice is a concession by the center the league doesn't really have a say in it. They could just cut the practice time all together and make bowlers start cold, which for some bowlers might be a good thing. Sure the league might have a contract that says the league gets X amount of minutes for warm-ups but that doesn't mean pins have to be there.

I would have no problem shadow bowling without pins for warm ups. Most of my first few shots are just to get warmed up, get the aches and pains to go away and to get a feel for what the lane conditions are. Sure fine tuning the strike line is nice but in a few frames that's probably going to change anyways.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/29/09 03:17 AM

In one center where I bowl, we get 10 minutes of shadow balls before league. It actually speeds up the practice time where you are supposed to be reading the lanes, not getting strikes. And, one ball per turn per bowler on each lane.
Posted by: Brandon510

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/29/09 03:58 AM

When i was a junior we use to have real shadow bowling - without pins. I actually like it. Now these days they use pins when get 10 minutes of practice. It takes longer cause everyone hits reset button cause they want a full rack.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/29/09 06:16 AM

Its the Center's perogative. I haven't seen too many league contracts that specify that pins be there for practice. But if all leagues and all bowlers are put under the same constrictions I guess you'd have to live with it. I don't see it as being as big a problem as lack of lane machine maintenance or consistent oiling. My center decided to change oil brand mid season. Huge difference in the shot. Nothing we can do about it. Our center has two oiling machines. We usually get the machine that puts out a worse shot because its the cordless machine. But you never know, you might get the corded machine some day. I guess since I've seen it before, its not that big a deal to me.

Erin
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/29/09 09:17 AM

When I was in college, we used to throw shadow balls a lot. We had leather pins that you could hang from the rack if you had a specific pin you wanted to work on. During team practice, we would have 7s and 10s hanging and practice those for an hour. Great way to practice.

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/29/09 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Its the Center's perogative. I haven't seen too many league contracts that specify that pins be there for practice. But if all leagues and all bowlers are put under the same constrictions I guess you'd have to live with it. I don't see it as being as big a problem as lack of lane machine maintenance or consistent oiling. My center decided to change oil brand mid season. Huge difference in the shot. Nothing we can do about it. Our center has two oiling machines. We usually get the machine that puts out a worse shot because its the cordless machine. But you never know, you might get the corded machine some day. I guess since I've seen it before, its not that big a deal to me.

Erin

They did that to us but denied changing the oil pattern. It was just after mid season, it isn't necessarily that they changed it, but they denied changing it that bothered me more. I can adjust easily enough, but I don't like the dishonesty.
Posted by: Lefty

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/30/09 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Mattdean76

They did that to us but denied changing the oil pattern. It was just after mid season, it isn't necessarily that they changed it, but they denied changing it that bothered me more. I can adjust easily enough, but I don't like the dishonesty.

They really might not have changed it. They could have replaced parts in the oiler and it caused the condition to change.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/30/09 12:28 PM

I agree with Lefty. Just simply cleaning out the pump or resevour will change how the shot lays down. Also replacing the strippnig pad is another replacement that really affects how the same shot plays.
Posted by: Russ I.

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/30/09 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
In one center where I bowl, we get 10 minutes of shadow balls before league. It actually speeds up the practice time where you are supposed to be reading the lanes, not getting strikes. And, one ball per turn per bowler on each lane.

I think this is how it should be everywhere especially in tournies
Posted by: warhog19

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/30/09 02:55 PM

I guess my real problem is the lack of notice. They didn't tell anyone until we were on the approaches looking at the desk and asking what was up. Also it tougher to shoot corners without the pins but I don't mind as long as we all have the same conditions.

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/30/09 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
I agree with Lefty. Just simply cleaning out the pump or resevour will change how the shot lays down. Also replacing the strippnig pad is another replacement that really affects how the same shot plays.

nope, they did change it, the mechanic admitted it, the GM of the lanes wouldn't admit to it though. It was not a house shot. We found out they had a sport league and opted not to strip.
Posted by: roddo4

Re: Warm ups without pins - 03/31/09 02:32 PM

Hello,

I do understand and relate to having your warm-up/practice period changed from what you're accustomed to. When your practice pattern is altered, it can affect the way you start the first few frames in a night.

When I first started bowling tenpins, about 30 years ago, it was the policy of the bowling alley to use 'shadow bowl' for the warm-up period, where no pins were set up during practice. Since I was introduced to tenpin leagues in this way, I never really noticed in the years that followed whether pins were used during the warm-up period. The last tenpin league I bowled in, was back in around 1996, but I honestly don't remember if pins were used, although I think pins were used. I now bowl duckpins, and it's pretty common for these centers to not set up pins during the warm-up period.

One good thing about bowling with no pins is that it allows you to practice your corner pin spares a little better. When there's a full rack of pins standing, there's always the temptation to shoot for a pocket.

Roddo4

Posted by: Let1Hang

Re: Warm ups without pins - 04/09/09 09:41 AM

At my center we use pins during practice but when I have an off shot I will shadow bowl to find a correct line to the pocket, etc.
Posted by: Domokun

Re: Warm ups without pins - 04/09/09 10:51 AM

Nearly got into a little fight last time there was shadow practice (house 99% of the time allows pins for practice). Dude in front of me on the opposing team was waiting for pins to set that would never come. I urged him to go...only got ten minutes here.

Nope, he's waiting on pins.

You don't need pins.

Laughed at me. He needs pins.

Then you're a s*cky bowler and don't know what you're doing so get out of my way.

#@!!&$!^%*!!!!

--yeah, I probably shouldn't say things like that.
Posted by: Dan300

Re: Warm ups without pins - 04/09/09 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Domokun
Nearly got into a little fight last time there was shadow practice (house 99% of the time allows pins for practice). Dude in front of me on the opposing team was waiting for pins to set that would never come. I urged him to go...only got ten minutes here.

Nope, he's waiting on pins.

You don't need pins.

Laughed at me. He needs pins.

Then you're a s*cky bowler and don't know what you're doing so get out of my way.

#@!!&$!^%*!!!!

--yeah, I probably shouldn't say things like that.

I'm guessing it's because people confuse "warm-ups" with "practice." They think the 10 minutes before bowling is their practice time, instead of using it to get loose and figure out the lanes.

You were right to tell the guy he sucked and didn't know what he was doing, though maybe a bit more tact would be in order next time? lol
Posted by: Domokun

Re: Warm ups without pins - 04/09/09 01:50 PM

Feh, it's one of those "social" leagues wherein it's social until it's time to bowl my team. Suddenly, it's all about the rules and "opening up that can of whoop a**". Whatever.

The league we just finished for the year was much, much better than the previous. At least my teammate didn't get into a shoving match. Believe it or not, he didn't start it. President of the organization of the leagues did.

Re: Warm ups without pins - 04/09/09 03:21 PM

My first couple of shots are just to loosen up, either way, it doesnt matter what is out there, it is really just to get my muscles loose. I do stretch and all, but usually the first 2 or 3 shots I am really just looking to loosen up. The next 3 or 4 are really solid shots to see what I am doing.