League Secretary Fee - HELP!!

Posted by: Iron Chef

League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 08/15/01 11:07 PM

What is a fair amount for a league secretary to be paid per bowler, per week? Or does anyone have a better, more fair way of scheduling payments to the league secretary.
Posted by: Rocket to the Pocket

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 08/15/01 11:36 PM

That all depends on how well you think the secretary will do his or her job. I just became secretary of a league and I will be getting $450 for the season (that's about 25 per bowler per night). But, I had to buy the software - $120 right off the top, even before I get my fee, which I get at the end of the season.
Posted by: LittleReba

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 08/22/01 06:22 PM

Quote:
quote:

confused
I think the secretary fee should be relative to the number of bowlers on the league, and how many weeks the league lasts in addition to how well the secretary performs her/his duties.

Experienced secretaries, have made this job a sideline profession seasonally. In all fairness, Don't you think secretary fees should be declared as "income" and should file a W'2?

I'd be interested in knowing what the average fee is across the nation. Currently our secretary fees jumped from $12 to $14 per bowler for a 32 week league.
A
Posted by: Angel

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 08/22/01 07:45 PM

Unfortunately, Iron Chef (Sakai? Morimoto? Chen? Kobe?), there is no clear-cut answer.

I will say that a GOOD secretary is worth his or her weight in gold. When you find one who stays on top of the arrearages, finds bowlers when current bowlers quit, handles league meetings (or handles the issue before it comes to that), pay that person whatever it takes to keep them happy. In the San Fernando Valley, a one-time fee of $10 per bowler is very common for the combined position of secretary/treasurer.

Reba, some secretaries might have turned it into a profession, but in terms of hours, it's a very poor paying one.

In a league where I was secretary for $10 per bowler, with 48 bowlers, I received $480. In return, I spent 34 weeks times 3 hours a night at the center, for a total of 102 hours (I missed one week with the birth of my child, so make it 99 hours). Add in the time each and every week spent checking for awards, finding new bowlers, handling the sanction stuff, and taking care of the money for sweepers, and McDonalds pays better.

Sure there are people who take the job mistakenly thinking it's easy money, and who don't do the job correctly, but the league's choice is to VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE.
Posted by: Iron Chef

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 08/28/01 08:14 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!

Quote:
quote:

Chen is my favorite. I also like Sakai.
Posted by: Al Whiteman

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 11/24/01 06:14 PM

That all depends on how well you think the secretary will do his or her job. I just became secretary of a league and I will be getting $450 for the season (that's about 25 per bowler per night). But, I had to buy the software - $120 right off the top, even before I get my fee, which I get at the end of the season.
--------------------

Hey Skipper,
Why would you have to buy software, that program
you wrote (that I am using, thank you) is great.
Wish I had your talent for software.

thumbsup
Posted by: Rocket to the Pocket

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 11/26/01 03:03 PM

Quote:
quote:

Al,
Unfortunately, to compile all those spreadsheets together is not worth the time or energy. I am using BLS-2002, and so far it has been pretty much worth the expenditure. I am also using BLS for my Thursday league (which makes me Asst. Secretary), as the house computer, using the AMF BOSS is absolutely horrible.

Thanks for the kind words about StatTracker!
Posted by: Matrix900

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 04/20/09 12:08 PM

Just wanted to bring this up again as I just got off the phone with my mother about our current league secretary(she has been sec for 4years so far). She thinks she makes good money for the hour or so she uses to put in the scores while at home. I told her that an average secretary gets 25cents per bowler per night per week.

Our current secretary gets $25 a team flat fee. With 12 teams @$25 thats only $300 for a season or roughly 15cents per bowler per night per week. We do also donate to an xmas fund for the secretary if you want to include thate. I think this year it was $60 or so.

Just wanted to ask what does/did your secretary for 08-09 season bring in money wise??
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 04/20/09 12:25 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to ask what does/did your secretary for 08-09 season bring in money wise??

Going rate for adult leagues here is $1 - $1.50/week/bowler. That's for the combined Sec/Tres job. So about $32-$48+ a year per bowler. At the end of the year it only takes 30+bowlers in the league to top over a thousand dollars a year tax free. Get a really big league or multiple leagues and we're talking serious money. Plus in one of our centers, the house does all the stats.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 04/20/09 06:38 PM

I'm not sure what the actual pay is for the secretary/treasure in my league this season is. I'm sure it's at least $.35 per a bowler per a week. We are a 5 person teams and the league is 44 teams strong which means 220 bowlers. That's $77 a week and we bowl for 34 weeks which makes it $2618 tax free. I'm not sure how much of the work he does or the center does. I know may of the centers around do the banking and most of the stat work.
Posted by: OFxMole

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 04/24/09 11:12 AM

The Sec/tres. of all our leagues get $.25 a night per bowling. But she also works for the bowling alley which kind of makes ie easier to get the stats and keep every thing current. But I wouldnt do her job for 10 times the money. Too much much bs to deal with every week.
Posted by: Mattdean76

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 04/24/09 03:14 PM

10-15 years ago, secretaries didn't even get paid, so consider it a blessing you would. Most leagues run from 25-50 cents. I enjoy working with numbers like that and would probably do it pretty cheap.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 04/24/09 03:20 PM

Working with numbers - good
Working with stupid people who don't know their @$$ from a hole in the ground - bad
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 04/24/09 04:52 PM

In one league, the Secy gets a flat $600. In another, the House runs the league, and there is NO Secy fee. Although, in looking over the league finances, I do see where there is an Administrative fee for $1200 to record scores and do the banking.

So, in that case, the Asst Mgr runs the league, is the Secy and Treas, and gets free bowling in league, as well. He's a retired guy, and no one complains. He does a good job too.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 04/24/09 05:12 PM

Dennis:

The house may run the league but you have to pay them to do it. Our house charges per bowler per week (just like the league would). It works out to about the same amount. We wanted the money going to a bowler instead of the house.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: League Secretary Fee - HELP!! - 04/24/09 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: General Pounder
Dennis:

The house may run the league but you have to pay them to do it. Our house charges per bowler per week (just like the league would). It works out to about the same amount. We wanted the money going to a bowler instead of the house.

GP, my post was not a complaint. As I said, he does a good job. We actally do not have the lane lights turned on until he has all envelopes turned into him. He walks the lanes in the first game when there is a shortage and gets the answer why. Almost every week, he makes an announcement of Honor scores and awards to hand out. And, they are given out pretty quickly. There is no delay in bowler recognition. Should a bowler bowl something special, he is on the PA congratulating the bowler.

He has a great personality, and does his best to keep bowlers happy. There is a full house in this 20 lane house almost every night. He fills the leagues with quality teams, and keeps the unwanteds out It is truely a bowler's house, and he keeps it that way.