Uniforms???

Posted by: cowboybrad27

Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 02:20 PM

When we (my fiance and I) joined our league we thought that it would be fun to have uniforms. I this was somthing that was the norm in league bowling. Come to find out that only a handfull of teams wear matching shirts. Ours are not great (just plain black t-shirts with red lettering for the name) but I was looking forward to that part of bowling. In your leagues do a lot of people wear matching uniforms? I just thought it was part of the league bowling experience? am I wrong?
Posted by: Domokun

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 02:30 PM

I've seen maybe 4 team shirts in the past few years between 5 different leagues. Last one I've seen is one on another league from mine on Mondays. That's just my experience...haven't seen a lot of it, but that shouldn't take anything away from what you want your bowling experience to be.

Maybe it varies from region to region? Hey, I think it's great if you're willing to put forward the effort. I'm just happy to show up on time these days.
Posted by: Chubbs

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 02:36 PM

This is a case of "they don't make 'em like they used to." Most of the teams in my primary league don't. My team is an exception to that, but we're one of 3 out of 19. The Monday night military retiree's league is a whole other story. I'd say more than 2/3 of the teams in that league have shirts.

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 02:47 PM

That's awesome! I would love to have everyone in matching shirts!
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 03:28 PM

In my league, 1 team of the 14 has matching shirts. It just doesn't happen as much as it used to. The women's league at the other end has a few teams that have matching shirts. From what I have seen, it happens more in women's leagues than in men's. In my area anyway.

My team didn't want to do my uniform idea though. I wanted wife beater shirts, red thongs, tutus, and black socks. Oh well.
Posted by: 30 Clean

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 03:47 PM

Shirts used to be the norm back in the "good old days" but not much anymore. Last year our mixed league had 1 team out of 14 that wore shirts but they were for the company the team worked for so it was more of an advertisement. Our team talked about getting shirts but never went thru with it. Mainly because my wife doesn't think bowling shirts are fashionable. brickwall

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 05:38 PM

nelson
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 05:43 PM

Many of our teams are sponsored, and quite a few have shirts. A teammate last year got a sponsor. It was Mamma Rini's Pizza. We had shirts. But, very quickly became known as Mamma Weenies. After a few weeks of ridicule, none of us would wear the shirts.

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 05:45 PM

hahaha! That stinks! what happened to the sponsorship?
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 06:13 PM

I don't see too many teams wearing matching shirts. In a men's league I was a sub in last year, several teams did, but they were sponsored and I think they bowl Nationals as a team. I know one was Geico(several of the guys worked for Geico as there would be a couple company cars in the parking lot).

I also know of one league at a different center that each team was given mock neck shirts by the pro shop that sponsored and put the league together. It was a classic style league.

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: cowboybrad27
hahaha! That stinks! what happened to the sponsorship?

Well, we kindly asked that bowler not to return for this year. Guess he took Mamma with him.
Posted by: One Pin Standing

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/04/09 06:40 PM

We have one team out of 32 on my Thursday night "Mixed Nuts" league that wears matching shirts who we bowl against tomorrow night.

They are a really fun group of ladies in their 60's. I would post their team name here but it would probably be censored.......LOL
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/05/09 08:44 AM

The Junior leagues at my local center require every bowler to wear their "league uniform". Its a maroon polo shirt that has the league name (and the bowlers name on the back) and they must be wearing slacks and a belt. Its kind of cool because it seems to really be working well in teaching the younger bowlers respect for the game. It just seems like when they are wearing that stuff they behave much more mature, and I think thats great for a youth league.

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/05/09 07:51 PM

I once saw a thread on another site where the person that started the thread wanted to propose a national dress code for USBC leagues. I don't see that working, but I could see specific leagues doing so themselves.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/06/09 10:48 AM

At Nationals, the only thing that they require is a collared shirt and no shorts. Jeans are acceptable. If you are going to wear a mock neck shirt, your whole team has to wear the same one and you have to wear dress pants. My teams have never worn the same uniform. Hard when we are all over the place.

When I was in YABA, I bowled a travel league. We had to wear matching shirts and dress pants. Bowling in college, we had to do the same. I am just so used to wearing jeans when I bowl. Much more comfortable for me.
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/06/09 11:37 AM

In my two leagues its about 50/50, teams with and without shirts. Both my teams wear shirts, and most of us dress slacks. We are sponsored by a lawn service company which one of my teamates own, and we are called the "Weed Whackers". wink
Posted by: pavlam05

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/11/09 01:27 PM

We've got only two or three teams in our league with matching shirts. I've wanted to do it for my team, but getting guys to spend $20-$30 on a shirt they will wear just for bowling is tough to do. I for one wouldn't mind spending the money because at least I wouldn't have to worry about my regular clothes coming home smelling like cigarette smoke.
Posted by: LostinSpace

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/11/09 01:37 PM

Currently, there are 2 teams in my league that wear the button up shirts. Last Summer my past team wore the collared shirts too. they cost about $60 with all the graphics etc..they're fun!

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/11/09 03:37 PM

We have just solid black t-shirts with Red Iron on letters that say our team name cost us about $7 per shirt. Looks nice too!
Posted by: bdgf06

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/12/09 01:00 PM

Team shirts are still pretty common around here, my Monday league we all wear the same shirt for our league as a group.

My Tuesday league I sub in about half of the teams have shirts depending on sponsorship.

My scratch league on Wednesdays is about half and half.
Posted by: Jock

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/13/09 02:53 AM

Well I just thought I'd let you all know how it goes in France.

Here we have to join a Bowling Club to be able to have a federal licence and bowl leagues and competitions.

Each club has it's own shirt of which you have to buy at least one. Obviously you need more than one if you bowl tournaments, because the club shirts are required to be worn in all tournaments and leagues.

Jeans are OK for leagues, run by the club, but it has to be dress slacks for tournaments. It's interesting to see the different clubs from all over the country in the bigger tournaments.
Posted by: JoeInDFW

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/14/09 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Jock
Well I just thought I'd let you all know how it goes in France.

Here we have to join a Bowling Club to be able to have a federal licence and bowl leagues and competitions.

Ouch! How much does the license cost?

Heck, here in the US (in most states), you don't even need a license to own a firearm, much less bowl in a league. Of course that may change now...

Posted by: johnw1

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/15/09 01:09 AM

Shirts with the league name and your name embroidered was all the vogue at one time. Somehow bowling shirts in league disappeared somtime in the 1970's, at least in my area. I have owned only one bowling shirt in my life and that was when I bowled for my college back in the 1960's.
Posted by: Reconbbs

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/15/09 02:37 AM

I'm in multiple competitive match play leagues where the teams are sponsored by local businesses. Certain teams wear shirts advertising their businesses.

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/15/09 10:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Jock
Well

Do I have to wear a license on the front as well as the back?

All jest aside: I bet your licensing is similar to our USBC membership. A membership certifies your average, and where you have bowled. Records your honor scores and issues awards for achievement.
Posted by: Jock

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/16/09 03:00 AM

Dennis,

I suppose that it must be similar to your USBC membership, except that the price varies between clubs. Mine is actually 80 a year. Of course, you have to add to that the price of a visit to the doctors because we have to have a medical certificate signed by a doctor to say that there are no counter indications for the practice of bowling in competition. I think that has something to do with insurance?

At least being licensed gives us cheaper open bowling (practice) rates.

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/16/09 05:16 AM

Jock, medical certificate? Really?

You haven't been to an American league night to see the really out of shape people who bowl?

I'll bet my Tues nite team (5-man) averages 215# each. And three of us are women.
215??? Bet I'm 10 pounds to low. I'll ask on Tues.

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/16/09 09:49 PM

In different parts of the US the total sanction fee for a year is different, but that is due to the state and local associations. USBC is $10.

Re: Uniforms??? - 02/18/09 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I'll bet my Tues nite team (5-man) averages 215# each. And three of us are women.
215??? Bet I'm 10 pounds to low. I'll ask on Tues.

OK, so I asked:
Jeff is 247 with a 216 average
I am 228 with a 198 average
Laurel, a Silver Coach is 217 with a 204 average
Cheryl, a Bronze Coach is 190 with a 194 average, and
Suzie, a Bronze Coach is 185 with a 192 average, but she recently lost 40 pounds.

So, our average weight is 213.4.
Our bowling average is 200.8.

If we only bowled what we weighed, I am sure we would have won a few more games. Only 2 of us weigh less than our average.