warm-up time

Posted by: eastwest

warm-up time - 12/18/08 11:52 AM

Curious as to how much warm-up time your house/league allows?

I used to have a solid 10 mins, and able to roll at least 5 times before official play started in my old house. This new place I'm at allows 4-5 mins, and I'm lucky to get 2 rolls in before official scoring begins.

I'm not complaining because everyone has the same amount of time, but it made me wonder what other houses are doing for warm-ups.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 11:54 AM

My leagues (3) have always been 15 minutes. It's still only maybe 3 shots on each lane, with 10 people warming up.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 11:57 AM

One house is 10 mins. The other is only 5 mins.
Posted by: dmoney298

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 12:14 PM

The two houses I bowl at both allow 15 min.
Posted by: Scott Gannon

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 12:14 PM

Ours is 15 minutes but sometimes it seems like 20. Usually a lot of people, including some of my teammates only take a few shots so normally I can get plenty of practice in.
Posted by: jsigone

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 12:15 PM

One league is 30 minutes, all others are 15 minutes. The 30 minute warmup allow PLENTY of time to try different balls and looks down lane. Maybe it's part of why I bowl pretty well in that league.
Posted by: Cobb

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 01:05 PM

15 minutes at my house
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 02:18 PM

We get 10 minutes. We are 5 person teams so if we all practiced the whole time, we would only get a couple of shots in. Doesn't help when people still take/expect 2 lane courtesy during practice either. I just bowl. If there is someone on the approach, I will literally go right after them. You need to maximize your time.

Most of the time, not everyone practices the whole time. A few of us do though.
Posted by: ijohn83

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 02:27 PM

We get 10 Min.

I had read somewhere that at tournaments you get 1 ball per person per lane! So 2 balls total.
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 02:33 PM

10 minutes for us too.
Posted by: Jay R.

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 04:20 PM

One is 15 minutes, other I believe gives 30 minutes.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Amateur
One is 15 minutes, other I believe gives 30 minutes.

30 is a lot of time. In 30 minutes, you can burn a nice track.

At Nationals, team warm up is 10 minutes. Normally we throw one ball per person and leave the rack for the next person. For D/S, it is 2 balls per lane. All tourneys are going to be different though. Depends on the rules for the tourney.
Posted by: Jay R.

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 04:58 PM

Yeah that's for my PBAX league, but they have a house shot league at the same time and they give them the same amount of warm-up time. It's from 8:30 to 9:00 AM and I see no point in practicing that long. I hardly ever get any warm-up time as I show up just a few minutes before they're over if that.
Posted by: Brandon510

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 06:12 PM

our league gets about 10 minutes. When i bowl a tournment earlier in the year we got 15 minutes.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: warm-up time - 12/18/08 07:56 PM

The center I'm currently bowling in does it by the size of the teams. I know 4 person teams get 10 and 5 person teams get 15, I'm not sure about trios or doubles though. A center I used to bowl at was 15, and most leagues were 4 person or smaller.
Posted by: 30 Clean

Re: warm-up time - 12/19/08 11:26 AM

Our house gives 10 minutes to every league no matter the size. My mixed league has 4-person teams but a lot of the people don't bother warming up or shoot only 1 or 2 shots. I can usually get in 10-12 shots easily.
Posted by: Smooth23

Re: warm-up time - 12/19/08 11:49 AM

Both my leagues get 10 minutes, seems to be enough. Most people throw a couple balls and sit down, I throw till I feel comfortable then sit.
Posted by: AmpleSound

Re: warm-up time - 12/19/08 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott Gannon
Ours is 15 minutes but sometimes it seems like 20. Usually a lot of people, including some of my teammates only take a few shots so normally I can get plenty of practice in.

Sounds like my league, you sure you're not in Denver? LOL
Posted by: NewEnglandBowler

Re: warm-up time - 12/19/08 02:55 PM

my junior league claims ten minutes, but its usually between 15 and 20. local association tournaments give us 10 mins, state tournaments give two balls each regardless of squad except the Pepsi tournament, which gives either 5 or 10, i can't remember. and the regional i'm bowling at a week from saturday gives 5 minutes each squad.

a lot to remember, sometimes i get them mixed up.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: warm-up time - 12/19/08 06:12 PM

If I really wanted to I could get an hour of warm up just not on the lanes I am bowling on that night. Actually the last time I did that I rolled a 673 series and was a couple strikes short of a 290 game. The center I bowl in allows open play on the lanes up until they oil for league, sometimes after and they don't start until about 40 minutes before league starts.

Also remember that having that league warm up/practice time isn't mandatory but an added perk by the centers. That's what I try to explain to people when they have to move pairs due to a breakdown and want practice on the new pair.
Posted by: bluesman_vt_2002

Re: warm-up time - 12/19/08 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: ijohn83

I had read somewhere that at tournaments you get 1 ball per person per lane! So 2 balls total.

Most tournaments around here are two balls on each lane. That one bothers me. If you can warm up on another pair before, cool, but some tournaments are booked solid and when you have no warm up and only two shots, that's a recipe for an injury.

We get 15 solid, and most guys only throw a few and my teammates are usually late.
Posted by: eclark53520

Re: warm-up time - 12/26/08 12:30 PM

10 mins at the league i am currently in...it automatically starts practice and counts down on the display's and shuts the lanes down at the end of practice/warmup. Most people in the league are there to drink/socialize so i can get plenty of warmup

All tournies i have played in were 2/lane...
Posted by: Silent Mike

Re: warm-up time - 12/26/08 03:36 PM

30 minute warm up times? I'd never get home at a decent hour!

We get 10 mins at both centers I bowl at. The local one you throw 1 shot and the person behind you attempts to cover it and so on. The one I travel to tonight (Fridays) allows you to pick your spares up if you don't strike.

I sometimes like to show up a little early and get 2 games in before league practice even starts. With the wrist injury last year, the broken leg not so long ago and getting back into exercising it loosens me up.
Posted by: wuphat

Re: warm-up time - 01/28/09 03:00 AM

We get 10 mins. It's shadow bowling, so no need to wait for pins to be reset. Of course, you can't tell how you are carrying. We bowl 8 to a pair and I'm able to get about 8 shots per lane. Many of the lower average bowlers only throw a couple shots then sit for 8 mins.

Then they wonder why they aren't averaging higher.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: warm-up time - 01/28/09 02:19 PM

we get 7 minutes with 4 man teams. Its enough for most to get what they want and sit down. I practice the whole time and make sure I roll a few different balls to check and see which is reading the lanes well.
Posted by: Chubbs

Re: warm-up time - 01/28/09 02:25 PM

12 minutes with squads of 5. Spare ball always first, then benchmark ball and make a switch if conditions warrant (which they usually don't).
Posted by: Clyde

Re: warm-up time - 01/28/09 09:56 PM

we get 15 min but i like to get there early and bowl one maybe 2 games just to work on stuff and get my wrist loose.
Posted by: Dan300

Re: warm-up time - 01/30/09 09:32 AM

All leagues get 5 minutes warm-up at the house I bowl in. We've asked for more from time to time but always get stonewalled.