First night in Leauge. Problem already?

Posted by: KingPin

First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 11/14/08 12:46 AM

I started my first night in a short 12 week season last night, and it went pretty well. It is a 4 man team with three beginers(thats me) and a friend who averages 195. I have only been bowling for about a month now and have really struggled as I have just learned to throw the hook consistantly, and working on my timing, approach, step pattern, release point etc. has been a bit frustrating. My high game going into leauge was a 157, average of 135. I bought a new ball (ebonite the one) and threw 10 games or so before we started leauge. The problem now is last night I bowled a 149, 159, and a 203, for a 511 series and an average of 170. Is this going to hurt my team if i cant come out and continue to throw those games, my high was only a 157 ever before and now my team is a bit concerned. I plan to keep working on my game, i am a fast learner and love the sport of bowling and i am just absorbing as much about the game as i can, and applying it when i practice. Thanks to all who reply.
-kingpin
Posted by: hi_there

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 11/14/08 12:57 AM

First of all, nice job on the 203 and 511 series. Second, I wouldn't worry about doing well. You should be out there trying to do your best and having fun. An average is just that; an average. You may have your ups and downs throughout the season, but just keep trying to do your best, and no matter the outcome, you will have had some experience with how fun a league can be and maybe learn a thing or two more about bowling. Good luck.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 11/14/08 01:22 AM

Don't worry about it. Just bowl the best you can on the night and enjoy. You will not always bowl well, no one does. So enjoy the times when you do.

Try not to take it too seriously because when you do so, you always put detrimental pressure on yourself. So for next week.....just go in there doing the best you can, knowing that you are a bit over inflated, but that's OK. Your teammates will understand and they too will be in the same situation you are over the time of the league.

Erin
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 11/14/08 05:40 AM

Bowling is a game of averages. Some nights you are up, and some nights you are down. But, it all averages out.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 11/14/08 06:44 AM

I agree with everything that has been said. Don't worry about keeping your average where it is as it will take the fun out of the game and you will put too much pressure on yourself that could lead to bad shots. Just do the best you can on any given night. Over the next several weeks your average should start to level out. Early in the season its easy for a big fluctuation in average, and in a short 12 season, you could change several pins every week depending on how good or bad you bowl, hopefully good though.

Good luck and remember to have fun.
Posted by: Scott Gannon

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 11/14/08 05:23 PM

One thing I have learned is when you are on a 4 or 5 member team, your average and handicap do not often have much of a bearing on the outcome of a game. I have bowled a 138 and we won the game and last night I bowled a 219 and we lost the game.

Like everyone said do your best and enjoy it. The best thing I have done and it has helped me raise my average almost 20 pins is to concentrate on executing each shot rather than paying attention to scores or averages. My only goal each night is executing my shot I can on every shot and things seem to be naturally falling into place.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 11/14/08 09:38 PM

We lost by nearly 100 pins when I rolled my 265 last night. We won with my 157. Each game was 50 pins different from my average.
Posted by: KingPin

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 11/14/08 10:54 PM

I left work a little bit early today and headed to the lanes. I bowled six games and had very good ball control as i slowed down my approach, and started working on a four step approach. I stayed very consistant (166,159,188,197,201,195). I am not concerned with my average or high games, as I am working on my game and just trying to throw the best ball every time. Hopefully i can get a video up soon of a practice session, as i am excited to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks for all the help, and I always have fun when i am bowling as it is truly relaxing.
-kingpin
Posted by: wuphat

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 01/28/09 06:11 AM

I can't count the number of seasons that I've opened with 630+ series, and I'm typically a 180-190 avg bowler. It happens. It all works out in the end.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 01/28/09 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: cgeorg
We lost by nearly 100 pins when I rolled my 265 last night. We won with my 157. Each game was 50 pins different from my average.

When I shot that 298 last week my team won that game by 3 pins.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: First night in Leauge. Problem already? - 01/28/09 12:29 PM

Good thing you carried that 11th one!