Seasons ending,...glad...or sad??

Posted by: Tim Gerard

Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 10:33 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but I get a little bummed as the season winds down to an end. Although I am going to bowl in a PBA league this summer, its not quite the same. I miss the night out and the comraderie that league night offers. Most bowlers around here trade in there bowling balls for golf clubs in the summer, I don't golf (maybe I should) so they welcome the bowling season ending. I don't.
Does anyone else feel this way?
Posted by: Smooth23

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 10:43 AM

I'm the same way, and I know what you mean about the golfers. I'd be tempted to take it up, but nah
Posted by: Brandon510

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 10:43 AM

I still have still first week of may or so till my league ends. Yeah i have some great friends who bowl in my league in the winter and about 75% usually wont bowl this league in the summer. They usually bowl some other league in summer or take summer off.

I feel you Eraser. Its windy down but there be back in the fall and we start all over again.
Posted by: Odyssey912

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 10:46 AM

I am very sad that the season is ending. Only have 2 more weeks on both of my leagues frown

I am going to ask at the lanes tonight if there are any leagues that I could look into for the summer. The manager knows how I bowl so we'll see if he has anything. If he does have something it will be weird not bowling with my team.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 10:47 AM

Since we bowl summer also, its just a couple weeks off and we just keep bowling.

Erin
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 10:54 AM

Since, I am bowling a lot better now than in Fall, I want to keep it going. My 2 teammates and I will roll right into a Summer Trio league the week after this season ends, in a different house.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 11:19 AM

I'm glad that the summer leagues are about to start.
Posted by: AmpleSound

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 11:26 AM

Yeah I hate to see the season end... and now I've got to decide if I want to take a month or so off after state to let my hand heal. Though the kiddo wants to join a summer league which starts in early May. Which I also need to find out about a youth league for him to join next fall. As I like the league I'm currently on, I do not like the 25 mile drive, nor the alley itself. The service stinks, and management is a revolving door type... So I'm going to take the dive and try to start my own team next season, at a local house! thumbsup
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 11:29 AM

I am sad, I missed all but the firs two months. I hope I am ready to go for next winter.
Posted by: Scott Gannon

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 11:33 AM

I know Summer League is not quite the same because a lot of the teams take the summer off but I look forward to it to tweak my game a little.

I think I have some things worked out and hope to close out the next 7 weeks strong but I am cautiously optimistic because I have had this feeling before!
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 11:34 AM

You are right GP the summer leagues are about to start. I am bowling on a two man PBA league this summer, but I don't have a partner yet..so thats always a little iffy walking in and not knowing who I'll wind up with as a teamate. Thats what I mean by not being quite the same. I don't care who it is male, or female just as long as its not a blood and guts kind of person, taking it way, way to seriously.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 11:37 AM

A few weeks ago I couldn't wait for the season to wrap up. It was mainly so I could step back and reset. Now that I've started to roll the ball better its a different story. All three of my leagues are ending at different times, my Saturday mixed finishes up around the third week of April, Monday mens finishes the Monday after Memorial Day, and Tuesday mens finishes a week or two prior to Memorial Day.

The Saturday league I still will be glad that its ending though. There isn't much in the way of competition on it, maybe a handful of other actual bowlers. Next season I doubt the league will be around as the majority of the people in the league are going to the bigger 5 person league that will take up the whole center once our league dissolves.

As for the summer, I normally do one summer league, and this years its another ball league. I used to do the summer leagues with my brother and his wife but they don't always bowl them. We normally bowl Saturdays together, other than this past season. We will be back together next year in the other league. I will also do the AMF Summer Doubles Tour again as money permits. For me bowling is a year round thing. The summer is to stay in "bowling shape" so to speak.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 11:41 AM

I'll probably cut down to a couple of nights a week. 1 league, 1 practice.
Posted by: Jbigdog

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 11:48 AM

I'm looking forward to it. Most of my team, including myself, will be back together on a summer league. I'll also be on a sport league, maybe two. I should also have more opportunity for practice in the evenings as the leagues die down. I plan on hitting it hard this summer and stepping my game up to the next level by fall.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 12:04 PM

I'm mixed on the end of this season, which is in 5-6 weeks. I'm bowling good, but that doesn't matter because I have a summer league that starts right after this one ends.

I'm mixed because we started out as a top 3 team and dropped to the middle of the pack around Christmas. This has been mostly due to the fact that we have a bowler who should be bowling a lot better (should have around a 210 average) than he is, but he decided a few months in that he doesn't want to be there. He just starts to goof around when he starts to struggle, he doesn't even try. Due to this, he's averaging a 195 in our league when he's in the 215 range in his other league (which he brags about all the time). He's already told us he's not coming back next year, and we really don't care.

The problem is I've known him since I was 10 years old. For the last 2 years, we bowled in the same doubles summer league that I will bowl in again. It's a big money league and we won the whole thing the first year and we each got $1100 for winning. I've already asked one of my other teammates to bowl with me for the summer because I don't want to deal with the goofing around if he starts to have trouble. I just asked my teammate last week, and I still have to tell him about it.

Mark
Posted by: Brian Longo

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 01:55 PM

I have about 4 more weeks left on my Monday league. Part of me is happy it's winding down but another part of me wants it to go on because I am enjoying a phenomenal season, a season which I've never had before. But, with summer coming, I could use the extra money to pay some stuff off and get myself back on track money-wise (getting a divorce has actually helped me financially - strange, huh?). With that said, though, I am still teetering on bowling a PBA experience league this summer, but that all depends on funds and whether or not my dad needs help working on projects around his house at night. I guess when the time comes I'll make that decision.
Posted by: Timotheus

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 01:57 PM

I'm actually excited. I'm bowling this summer so my season doesn't end, but I get to start fresh with new faces in a new league with new challenges, and its a PBA league to boot.

Also, the warmer weather means I can get outside more. Softball starts soon, I can start golfing recreationally again, it'll be a lot easier to shoot a basketball around, I can go out and rollerblade and maybe do a little street hockey, and we can throw a frisbee around.

As much as I love bowling, I don't like being all couped up in the house all winter and not be able to do the other things I love to do that are warmer weather activities.
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 02:06 PM

As many of you know, I used this season to work my way back into some semblance of bowling shape and did not bowl in a league (though I felt I was ready for one by December, there were no openings & I didn't want to bowl as a sub). I've always felt my season actually started in the summer, anyway, as the first league I ever joined was a summer league. As I'll be rolling my first ball in anger since coming back this summer, I'm looking forward to summer leagues starting. laugh
Posted by: johnw1

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 03:34 PM

I'm glad this season will be ending soon as it has been a strain since the season began last September. First a broken wrist - fell off a ladder Labor Day weekend - and then a recurrence of a knee injury (left knee) that I suffered some years ago playing in a senior men's ice hockey league. The broken wrist I was able to deal with because it was my left wrist but the knee has gotten to the point where I have to wear a very sophisticated knee brace with metal supports with hinges on the sides.

The good thing about the season ending, at least for me, is that I can do what I do at the end of every season which is to take my prize money and start shopping for a new ball.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: johnw1
The good thing about the season ending, at least for me, is that I can do what I do at the end of every season which is to take my prize money and start shopping for a new ball.

It's surprising to me how many people buy a new ball at the end of the season instead of the beginning.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 04:31 PM

Buying a new ball at the end is a little easier and I think a good idea. You can reinvest the money you got back from your league(s), and also use it over the summer to get a feel for it. Of course if you use it too much over the summer it won't be the same. Thats why I like ball leagues in the summer, most of them you get your ball half way through the league, can get it drilled up, have a month or so to feel it out and then it will still be in great condition when the real leagues start.
Posted by: pbateson

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 04:53 PM

If my season end on 26th April (Saturday). I taking a break from bowling and play golf in driving range and the course. Spring and summer is good for golf.

I may bowl in different bowling centre next fall season.
Posted by: Silent Mike

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 08:45 PM

I'm both glad and sad. I'm glad it's almost over because 3 nights a week is demanding with a job that requires OT at the drop of a hat and a new GF battling health issues. Add in my own struggles on the and off the lanes with injuries and yeah I'm ready for a break.

Did I say break? There is never a break. I bowl year round but for the SUmmer I only do one league a week. Ok maybe two but that's it lol

Another reason I'm glad is because in 2 weeks we should wrap up 2nd place for the 2nd straight year in my scratch league and take home $850-$900/person.
Posted by: RLD

Re: Seasons ending,...glad...or sad?? - 03/27/08 09:40 PM

This was my first stateside league (and first league since 20+ years). I'm fortunate that I was picked up by a really good and easy to get along group (4-person team). I was thinking of visiting the familia on Guam over the summer, but the team is carried over for the summer leagues. However, they don't have a problem with it just as long as I bowl 75% of the games. thumbsup