The ups and downs

Posted by: Arthur

The ups and downs - 03/25/08 04:25 PM

the last 3 weeks, has been horrible for me, i have left so many 10 pins and splits from pocket hits that i would just get down on my self and end up doing horrible. Last mondays league i bowled a 452 series probably close to one of the lowest ive had all year. I went to my wed league and did better still several 10 pins but not as many splits and picked almost all of them up and had a 612 series.
I had had so many 9/ and 9- on the screen that it really wore on my confidence the 612 picked it back up for me and i was really looking foward to this monday.

The first game i start off with a 8 bagger throw a split in the 9th miss it and start off with a strike in the 10th and miss the split in the 2nd part of the 10th for a 252

2nd game i throw my 2nd 300 of my life and after almost throwing up we go onto the third game

i start with 2 strikes open from another split throw 3 more strikes spare a shot throw 3 more strikes and finish off with a spare

I shot a 782 as my first ever 700 series i honestly couldn't belive it. (the guy i was bowling against didn't want to belive it)

i went from a 452 series to a 782 series in a single week Im almost scared to go bowling this wednesday due to the fact that last time i threw a 300 i went into a slump basically from just thinking to much.

Im just beyond excited and i figured id tell my little tale about my last couple weeks.

Just a quick other note, that gave me highest scratch game (2nd being 290) highest Series scratch, Highest series handicap 881.

Im also thinking about getting the multi 300 ring in gold now, Anybody have one tell me what they think about it?
Posted by: Silent Mike

Re: The ups and downs - 03/25/08 04:41 PM

That's one way to get your first 700 series lol Congrats on the 300 as well. That's one up and down week for sure, at least it shows you on any given night you can put some big scores up. For as much as you say your confidence was shaken it didnt last very long. Nice bowling!!
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: The ups and downs - 03/25/08 04:47 PM

Congrats on the 300 and your first 700 series Arthur. It seems you went like me last season and almost skipped the 700 and went straight for the 800. Good rolling. As a one coming off of a horrible slump of 400 sets, I know what that one good, solid series can do for you.

In regards to 10 pins, they are going to happen for a right hander. You make them and adjust the best you can to try to not leave them.
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: The ups and downs - 03/25/08 07:44 PM

Arthur, first welcome to the site, second congratulations on the 300 game and 782 set.

I have a question for you, How much of the bowling bad was you being down on yourself instead of realizing you were bowling just as well as you did in the 782 set except instead of strikes you got 9 counts, you were still doing the same things, and how much was it bad luck or you getting robbed?

The question you have to ask yourself is the next time you aren't getting the results you wanted, try to figure out why? Instead of thinking of how you got robbed or are just unlucky, when in fact you are probably only a couple of moves away from good scores, try not getting upset and frustrated and figure out what the ball is doing and how it is hitting the pins.

It is best not to think about your 300 the next time you bowl, just try to remember how the ball felt coming off your hand and try to repeat that good feeling you had. Visualize the ball striking the same way it did the last time and it will happen for you again, you did it once, you can do it again. If you miss, you are only human, just make the spare and get back to business.

I am just trying to point out how much a bowler's attitude has to do with scores. I wish you luck, if you need help figuring out what adjustments to make, let us know what line you were playing and what spares you were leaving and what ball you were using.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: The ups and downs - 03/25/08 10:23 PM

Really big ups and downs are always hard to deal with, which is why I actually just prefer to be as consistent as possible because I know that it will give me the most confidence over a long period of time. One summer when I was in college, my league starting average was 190, and I ended at 193. Not spectacular, but what I was proud of was that for the whole league, my high and low series were separated by only 50 pins.

Lately, I've been bowling consistently good, and it has my confidence up. From the beginning of 2008 to now, I have not had a series below 600. I only had 1 big series, and that was last week. Hopefully, the universe won't try to level itself back out.

Mark
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: The ups and downs - 03/26/08 01:22 AM

Congrats, Arthur on your 300. I got one a couple of weeks ago, and it was a great feeling. I am sure yours was too.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: The ups and downs - 03/26/08 06:18 AM

Also, congrats on the 300 and your first 700, forgot to mention that. That's a heck of a first 700 series! It's funny too, you had shot a 300 before your first 700, I was the complete opposite. I shot my first 700 more than 5 years before my first 300, so I had shot multiple 700's before my first 300. Funny how things work.

Mark
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: The ups and downs - 03/26/08 07:08 AM

Congrats on your 300 and first 700 series Arthur. Its funny how you can be up one week and down the next. My first 300 and 700 series was followed by a 450 something the next week. It can be discouraging if you let it,...the trick is to NOT let it.. smile
Posted by: AmpleSound

Re: The ups and downs - 03/26/08 09:26 AM

Congrats on your scores there Arthur, and welcome to the site!
Posted by: Brandon510

Re: The ups and downs - 03/26/08 10:03 AM

WTG Arthur.

Re: The ups and downs - 03/26/08 04:50 PM

I've been in bowling again for a little over a year and a half. I shot my first 300 this year surrounded by a 183 and a 191, so i didn't quite hit that 700. Ive had several 4 or 5 670 series but i never seamed to get that all 3 games going great to get that 700 set.

Coachjim

I started that down fall with the AZO ultra radical pearl. I was hitting the pocket basically to hard with it, Leaving a lot of 9 pins and ringing 10's. I got the new cell with a less agressive drill to try and help fix the issue. which is sort of did i stopped leaving 9 pins and started leaving more 10 pins. Striking is obviously the stronger part of my game considering i have a 185 avg. I Line up with the inside of my left foot from the 33-38 board area typical starting point is just outside of the 35 board. I start by throwing the ball across the 15 board out to about 4-6 and back. 16-18mph and fairly high revs. I was getting down on my self b/c i was actually throwing my strike ball really well but i just couldn't seem to carry i would move in out left right pick up speed slow down speed and just couldn't seem to fix it, and i would start getting down on my self and start throwing even worse.

I've been working with my pro shop guy on spares and tightning up my game about every other week.

Re: The ups and downs - 03/26/08 05:02 PM

I've been in bowling again for a little over a year and a half. I shot my first 300 this year surrounded by a 183 and a 191, so i didn't quite hit that 700. Ive had several 4 or 5 670 series but i never seamed to get that all 3 games going great to get that 700 set.

Coachjim

I started that down fall with the AZO ultra radical pearl. I was hitting the pocket basically to hard with it, Leaving a lot of 9 pins and ringing 10's. I got the new cell with a less agressive drill to try and help fix the issue. which is sort of did i stopped leaving 9 pins and started leaving more 10 pins. Striking is obviously the stronger part of my game considering i have a 185 avg. I Line up with the inside of my left foot from the 33-38 board area typical starting point is just outside of the 35 board. I start by throwing the ball across the 15 board out to about 4-6 and back. 16-18mph and fairly high revs. I was getting down on my self b/c i was actually throwing my strike ball really well but i just couldn't seem to carry i would move in out left right pick up speed slow down speed and just couldn't seem to fix it, and i would start getting down on my self and start throwing even worse.

I've been working with my pro shop guy on spares and tightning up my game about every other week.