Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread

Posted by: Richie V.

Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 08/30/17 01:10 PM

A bit late getting this thread started, but I think everyone knows it can be used to post updates on your leagues, including your scores. We'll have a separate honor score thread.

I should be back in my Wednesday (5-man) and Sunday (trios) leagues, but three of my Wednesday teammates are trying to form their own team and one isn't sure which of his leagues he's staying with, so I'm likely to have new teammates on Wednesday night.
Posted by: wronghander

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/02/17 01:33 AM

Good luck this season Richie, hopefully you'll get a good group of guys and/or gals to bowl with on Wednesdays.

I'm bowling at a Brunswick Zone this season after the center I bowled at last year closed. Was a little squeamish about bowling at a BAMF center, but this was the best option for my teammates as well as myself because of the location and because they have a Sunday night league. Despite my initial reservations, it's been a good experience there so far. I got recruited to be on a good team in the competitive Friday night league and I was added to the roster for the UBA team out of that house as well. The Friday league started tonight.

Shot 185+280+223=688 to start the league. Struggled in game 1 with carry, started off with makeable spares and then tried to slow my speed down to get the ball to transition quicker and left a 6-8 split on what I thought was a good shot. Moved 2&2 right and proceeded to leave a pocket 7-9. I was going to go to another ball when my teammate told me I needed to get the ball to face up to the pocket, so instead of trying to reduce my speed I focused on getting a little more rotation and that worked out really well. 6 pin in the 2nd frame on a miss inside was the only miscue of the 2nd game.

3rd game I had a chance to go off the sheet for 260 but ended up missing badly inside in the 9th frame and left a 6,7,10 split. Struck out for 223 which was good enough to take 3 out of 4 points in the head-to-head (won the total by just 3 pins and he struck out in the 10th as well).

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/06/17 11:43 PM

My Week 1 bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

I was sort of getting a feel for these lanes, noticing that the backend reaction was a bit more than I'm used to. The weird part of my spare game tonight was that I only made the one 7 pin on the left side, but every makeable spare on the right side.

Result: 145-150-161=456
Average (3 games): 152
Next week's AVG+1 score: 462

My new teammate Brian bowled the best of us tonight, but we won't know about points at least until the weekend.
Posted by: 6_ball_man

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/07/17 08:02 AM

soooo....of the 5 leagues I was in last year, I only have committed to one. Saturday afternoon singles.
There is a golfers league that my uncle runs on Thursday AMs that...well calling it a league is giving it all the best. LoL It is more a loose association. Non-sanctioned, show up if you want...It doesn't start until the last week of October. Singles with blind draws for doubles and triples. Your doubles partner comes from the first blind draw for triples and lane assignment, and pays the best. You redraw at the beginning of each game for lane/team. You could end up on the same pair with the same guys, but all that is unlikely. The best part is if you get a triple you get a dime from everyone. LoL Euchre is played afterwards. A fun group. I will probably show up there more than not. I ran it for the last few weeks last year, when unc was in the hospital for a heart operation...he was bowling again less than 3 weeks after!

My senior travel team folded up around me...the other 4 all dropped...I quit Sunday AM singles in favor of doing other things on Sunday (NFL, bowling tournaments?) and my brother and I dropped the dbls league in favor of finding something a little more competitive, which I laid on him, as he is a working man and I am not...he hasn't come up with anything (yet)...[shrug]

updates as events warrant
Posted by: steveA

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/07/17 04:40 PM

Yep didn't realize how much effect hurting my ankle over the summer would have, timing way out, pleased in some ways this wasn't for the VL 141--124--156. Seemed to get it together in the third but a string of 10 pins which I missed either side put pay to that. Can only get better hopefully.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/08/17 11:48 PM

Good stuff all, great to see some activity in this thread in the early going.

Week 2 of my Friday league tonight and had a great night with 258+259+237=754. Left only single pins and converted them all to stay clean. Really felt like I had a legit shot at 800 going into the 3rdand even after starting with 9/ but had trouble consistently carrying the 7 in the last game. Still, I'll take the 237.

Had the high series on the pair and team pretty easily took 22 of the 30 points, with me sweeping my head-to-head opponent which ended up being a vacant. Really happy with the start and I think the work I put in during the summer is paying off, but also bowling on a really easy condition and I have the gift of being left-handed. In all honesty I'm the 4th best bowler on my team.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/10/17 09:31 PM

My Week 1 bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

Two better games tonight than any of them Wednesday night, but I certainly hope missing spares on the left side doesn't become a recurring theme this year. I'm still perfect on the year on my right side makeables.

Result: 166-158-174=498
Average (3 games): 166
Next week's AVG+1 score: 504

Composite average (6 games): 155

The points for total pins might have been interesting if I'd been able to max out my 10th frame third game, but, as it was, we only won the first game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/10/17 10:11 PM

Alright Richie, looks like you're still getting used to the new pattern they put out but a good sign that you're covering your right side spares. Started my Sunday night league as well and got off to a great start with the front 7. After that however it didn't go as well as I hoped with scores of 247, 224, and 187 for 659. Good news is we took all 8 and we were able to fill our vacancy.

Our new bowler is another left hander and it appeared that there was some carry down because my ball had trouble transitioning in the 2nd and 3rd games. Missing two 7 pins didn't help either but wasn't expecting that to happen and just didn't make the right adjustments. I'll have to make sure to bring a stronger ball next week to make it easier on myself.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/13/17 04:52 PM

started a new league Monday night (Sunday night league ended, and this one is cheaper, still sanctioned, and in the new house that's closer and independent and really caters to US)

So I joked that I really need to NOT do my typical establish thing . . . but there I go. 233-192-247 to establish with a 672.

Could be worse, I could have switched balls 3 frames earlier and established with a 700 . . .ROFL. (wanders off muttering about being a dumbarse! LOL)
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/14/17 05:28 AM

Richie, are you still bowling at that Brunswick house?

Read the chat in the lane machine thread. I think it's prevalent at all Brunswick locations.

IDK who comes up with this oil pattern for Brunswick, but it caters to those with too much speed and no hand. If you are slower and have ball rotation, it hurts you.

To start the year here, the bigger leagues are all down in team count at Brunswick houses. 3 near here. While the Privately owned houses are filled.

Both Hawthorn and Deer Park Lanes are down, that I know of. Both were regular stops on the PBA tour. But, not for quite a few years. The corporate minds have ruined the Sport.

So, polish your ball and let it slide more to lessen the back end. There is 20 feet of stripped lane there.

Oh, today is Thursday. The local house opens before 4:30 for a Ladies League, so I can go and practice. 4:30 opening really put a crimp in my bowling. Was there every day at 9 am with a bunch of other guys. Not now.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/14/17 12:55 PM

Dennis, it's wronghander who's bowling @ the Brunswick house here (in Lowell, MA). I'm still at a private house, which just changed ownership, but the upside is that they're going to sink a lot into renovations. I'm told we're even getting a Flex machine. smile

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/15/17 06:48 AM

Odd night. Rolled ev other ball well. Even had a 4 bagger with a brooklyn in the middle. One ball would be strong and the next slid. And, had 2 opens in each game. Two 10's to the left, chopped a 6 off a 10 2X's. And, with my spare ball. Gotta fix my spare shooting. It really sucks.

Rolled 209-190-209. Right about my average so far.

Used my Hybrid ball all night. There was no carrydown, but the backends were pretty dry, stripped. I needed the longer slide to get farther downlane.

Good thing, we won all 3 for the 3rd consecutive nite.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/16/17 12:07 AM

299+213+214=726 tonight. Started out very promising and was locked in from the start. However started getting some anxiety in the 10th frame and even though I've been in this spot before and have 4 300s I couldn't help it. Threw a good enough shot in the 10th and tripped a 6 pin in the 11th to stay alive, but my knees really started to shake by the last ball and it caused me to roll it too slowly and it broke right through the headpin, somehow only leaving the 7 pin.

Second game actually started with a double but then something changed and I started leaving right side spares (either 6-10 or 10 pin). My teammate said I was throwing it too slowly (usually I have the opposite problem) but my speed changes didn't work, nor did moving in and going into the 10th frame I was clean but still only had the 2 strikes. Went out to my car and got my Brute Strength and managed to strike out with it, needing strikes in the 10th & 11th to win the head-to-head point.

3rd game got off to a slow start but stayed clean and then started to string them toward the end of the game, had a chance to strike out to get into the 240s but didn't get it off my hand right and ended up leaving a 4,7,10 split and ending the night with an open and another game in the two-teens.

Still managed to keep my average at 240 which means next week I'll be bowling scratch with this being the last week that the book averages were used. Managed to win all 4 of my individual points going up against an absent bowler.

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
IDK who comes up with this oil pattern for Brunswick, but it caters to those with too much speed and no hand. If you are slower and have ball rotation, it hurts you.

Haven't really experienced this at my local Brunswick Zone, but also haven't seen any bowlers there that are that speed dominant with no hand. I am slightly speed dominant but I have to play around 10 and make sure I turn it a bit to carry the 7 pin. If I try to play straight up the outside the ball wants to hook at my feet and I can't control it. But as long as I get the right rotation on it, the pattern is very forgiving.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/16/17 04:34 AM

Wronghander, nice shooting.

Let me put it this way. I have 30 years on you and go back to the days of wood lanes and shellac for 60 feet. Back then, speed was a killer. Your ball would just slide all the way. It was paramount to get your ball to roll right off your hand. So, developing a strong hand and release was the key. There were no oil patterns, as they would dry mop the lanes before use to remove any dust.

Now, I didn't bowl for 26 years, raising kids and had competition from soccer and baseball, scouts and whatever. So, what happened in those years, I had to read about. And, I was absolutely amazed at the changes in this game, to both lanes, surfaces and equipment.

At that time, I was an ABC member and bowled regionally. Sponsored by the House I bowled in. Chicago, where I lived, had a pretty strong Traveling, Classic League, which I bowled in. We bowled for the House against other House teams. Some fairly strong bowlers came out of that league. One, I still occasionally see, Carmen Salvino, you may remember.

But, in reading about this game development, even you can see how the lane makers and the ball manufacturers competed to produce higher scores. Long oil killed and shorter patterns produced higher results. Stripped back ends gave you a hook, regardless of the ball. Bowlers now bank off the dry and don't roll the ball. Internal weights give you a hook and ball drilling to produce that hook became an art, taking advantage of the offset weight inside. Ball covers produce more friction as an additional assist.

Don't get me wrong, anyone rolling 12 consecutive strikes is doing just what the game objective is and that's consistency and accuracy. And, I applaud them.

I bowled with a noted Gold level Coach, now in his 80's. And, he will talk your ear off about the old days. He also accepts any challenger to bowl with one condition. The lanes are to be oiled for the entire 60 feet. No one accepts that condition. Why, because the slide phase of the ball path has become the most important facet of the game. Just listen to tutorials by Mo Pinel and you will hear this loud and clear. And, this is something that people with speed and no hand have success with. Their scores have come up, and that should be satisfying to bowlers.

But, then again, I look at things like the number of bowlers today compared to the number 30 years ago. And the USBC membership has dropped by more then half.
I look at the number of Bowling Lanes and that had been reduced by as many as 90% in some areas. Chicago had 265 bowling alleys in the phone book in 1965 and today, there are 15.

All of those changes that were designed to increase bowler's satisfaction have come at the same time that the actual bowler numbers have dropped radically.

But still, you bowl on what the lanes give you. And, if that's a bank, a produced hook, and you can match your equipment to that condition, more power to you.

In the 1960's, the lane conditions of regular bowling were very consistent, and all bowlers bowled on the same conditions as the Pros. Today, Sport patterns are designed to give the bowler a better challenge, and only a handful of actual bowlers accept that challenge. So, there has become a distinct difference between the average bowler and the pro.

Those who have mastered the consistency and accuracy will succeed. While others, hopefully, enjoy the night out. And, if the lanes and/or the equipment produce scores, they are happy.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/16/17 07:17 AM

I bowled with a noted Gold level Coach, now in his 80's. And, he will talk your ear off about the old days. He also accepts any challenger to bowl with one condition. The lanes are to be oiled for the entire 60 feet. No one accepts that condition. Why, because the slide phase of the ball path has become the most important facet of the game. Just listen to tutorials by Mo Pinel and you will hear this loud and clear. And, this is something that people with speed and no hand have success with. Their scores have come up, and that should be satisfying to bowlers.

Let me clarify this. The slide phase is important to manage where your ball meets friction on the lane. Whether you roll straight up 10 or over 4th arrow is a matter of style and revs. But, your ball will hook as it hits friction. On a totally oiled lane, 60', you get no friction. Thus, the bowler has to know how to roll the ball. Long oil Sport patterns have always been the hardest. Yet, that was what the old days were. Slick all the way down.
Posted by: goobee

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/16/17 06:37 PM

Second week of league in the new house, these guys can't lay down a consistent pattern it seems. I struggled all morning and wound up with 186, 186, 218.

I understand they have a new machine on order, a Kegel Walker, not sure of the model.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/17/17 09:11 PM

My Week 2 bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

I probably should have scored better, as most of my missed spares were chops of multi-pin makeables. I still had my 600 alive in the last frame, by missed a 10 pin, the first for me this season. Bright spot: I had at least a turkey in every game, with a four-bagger in each of the last two games.

Result: 172-206-214=592
Average (6 games): 181
Next week's AVG+1 score: 548

Composite average (9 games): 171

Team won all eight by forfeit, with my 214 picking up Peter in the third game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/18/17 09:15 PM

Wronghander, nice shooting.

Don't get me wrong, anyone rolling 12 consecutive strikes is doing just what the game objective is and that's consistency and accuracy. And, I applaud them.

But still, you bowl on what the lanes give you. And, if that's a bank, a produced hook, and you can match your equipment to that condition, more power to you.

Thanks Dennis and good insight as well. I agree that the lane conditions are easy and as someone who has bowled on sport patterns I can definitely appreciate the difference. But the way I'm approaching it this season is that I better take full advantage of the easy lane conditions the center is giving me.

Last Sunday night I was disappointed with 659, but came back strong last night with a 223, 224, and 268 for 715. First game started with the front 5 and then left a pocket 7,9 (ugh). I was fully prepared this time though as I received in the mail on Saturday my Creating the Difference "performance kit". I put the hook more stuff on the ball and threw a double, but whiffed a 7 pin for my only other open on the night in the 9th and had to settle for 223. Second game ran into some carry issues but shot a clean 224, and then went nuts in the 3rd game with 7 in a row after leaving a 10 pin on the first ball. Went high for a 4,7 in the 9th but struck out in the 10th.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/19/17 12:29 PM

second night on new league, shot was way drier (which I guess I should expect given the weather) so when I started as I did last week, with my strong ball, it went well during practice, but I had to be SOOOO right on that it was touch and go first game. 182. Bah.

But switched to my IQTP at the 9th frame and punched out in the 10th so we could win by 7.

Second game, started with the front four, picked up the 3-6-10, strike, missed a 10, picked up a 10, strike, and then hit a 4-6-7 split. frown 203 is okay, but it coulda been. . . bah.

Third game, outside was dry and the IQ was bouncing too much off it. Direct more in center worked MUCH better so that's what I did. Down 15 with a little swing. 3, then chopped the 3-6-10 (left the 3, bah) then would have gone sheet except for a stone 9 in the 6th. QUITE happy with that result - 245.

630 series, combined with last week's 672 . . . so much for any handicap! LOL

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/20/17 09:35 PM

My Week 3 bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

After being absent last week, I was mostly able to build on what I found Sunday night, but missing 10 pins bit me in the third game, so tonight could have been better, as well.

Result: 191-174-191=556
Average (6 games): 168
Next week's AVG+1 score: 509

Composite average (12 games): 175

The only one on the pair better than me tonight was Brian, and the team won all four.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/22/17 11:53 PM

Nice recovery in the 3rd game mmalsed. Good bowling Richie as well, hope to see some 600s out of you in the near future, keep at it. smile

Had another strong night, 267+236+248=751. Like last week I got up in the 10th of game 1 with a chance to roll a perfect game, but instead left a flat 7 and missed it by a hair on the spare attempt. Still put together a solid night and considering my high series last season was a 747 and I have two 750+ series in the first month of the new season, I'm very pleased. Had another lefty on the pair with me tonight as well, did leave a split in the middle of the 2nd game but the made the right moves after that.

After we finished the other lefty (an older guy) told me that it's been a long time since he's seen a left handed stroker bowl this well out of this house. I'm averaging 243 now through 12 games and hope I can keep this up, but working with my coach this summer to get just a little more rotation is paying off, so perhaps having a high rev rate isn't the be all and end all. Leaving far fewer corner pins, carrying light hits, and even got a messenger to come over and take out a 7 pin on one of my strikes tonight.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/23/17 07:21 PM

Third week in the new center and I am struggling big time. Last week, I struggled trying to find a line on the inside for two games before moving outside and finally finding one. So this week, I focused on trying to find a line on the outside (unsuccessfully) for two games before moving inside where I started striking immediately.

158, 179, 244.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/24/17 09:15 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

My 10 pins were the story of my night, as I missed more than I made. The solace was there was only one missed in the third game, and I had a double covering that.

Result: 167-173-193=533
Average (9 games): 180
Next week's AVG+1 score: 549

Composite average (15 games): 175

Harry subbed for Peter for the first time this season, but he largely couldn't help us. We did salvage the third game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/24/17 09:42 PM

You both got better each game, not bad.

Shot 238+194+205=637 to come back down to earth. Lanes were really tough after the first game due to the humidity we had here today. Plus we had a lot of traffic on the left side (4 of us). So it got really tricky and by the end of the 2nd game I figured out I was confined to playing a small portion of the lane and had to really get around it and keep my speed down to carry. Managed a triple in each of the last two games but too many open frames. Our team took all 8 however and we're 22-2 on the young season so I'll take it.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/24/17 11:36 PM

Wronghander, I have to chuckle at your comment that there was a lot of traffic on your side, (4). I have all 5 on myown team that roll very similar lines, along with a few from the other team. Yes, the right side.

You lefties have it easy.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/25/17 08:41 AM

Recent sessions with the coach are maybe starting to bear fruit...maybe...Still only had 1 good game and 2 bad, but the good game netted me a win against a 269 game (he had to spot me some sticks) and a pot game (1st of the year). Also, the good game was the 1st game...previous 2 sessions the good game came in the 3rd.

251-577 [shrug]

I told the coach I was gonna keep buggin' him 'til I get it right. The eye roll was nearly audible LoL

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/27/17 11:16 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

It was just a grind tonight, both in terms of "feel" and results, with my best bowling coming in the 2nd game. There were more splits than usual, with the makeable spares I missed compounding the problem.

Result: 141-175-166=482
Average (9 games): 166
Next week's AVG+1 score: 510

Composite average (18 games): 173

Thomas' 516 was high on the team. We won just the 2nd game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/30/17 12:46 AM

Wronghander, I have to chuckle at your comment that there was a lot of traffic on your side, (4). I have all 5 on myown team that roll very similar lines, along with a few from the other team. Yes, the right side.

You lefties have it easy.

For sure grin . You face that every week, I face it maybe once a year.

Went into league tonight with the 2nd highest average so was happy about that, but found out they changed the shot and ran into a little bit of trouble. Shot 223, 193, 233 for 649. My regular shot up 8 with my Arson High Flare would react too violently. Moving in a bit and swinging it was the best option but I was just too inconsistent with that so went to my Brute Strength which is my smooth rolling ball and played chicken with the oil line. Was working toward the end of game 1 with 5 high flush strikes in a row going into the 10th, but got badly punished in the last frame with a 6-8 split (which really hurt because I needed just a spare and change to win my point). That led to issues in the 2nd game, and finally in the 3rd I took out my BTU Pearl and that gave me the reaction I needed, but got really punished badly for missing outside with 2 washouts. Managed to finish on a good note by striking out in the 10th to win my point by 1 pin. We bowled the vacant team tonight and had to shoot within 10 of our average. Fortunately my teammates picked me up and we won 21 points out of 30.

Hopefully on Sunday night (my less serious league) I'll have a chance to get comfortable with the pattern. Not really a bad thing that they changed it, the pattern they had out before was great for FIGJAM purposes, but wasn't really setting me up to be successful when I go to other houses for tournaments.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 09/30/17 06:21 AM

Thursday was odd, as my benchmark ball just slid. I went a little stronger with a hybrid, and more of the same. So, struggled in game 1.

changed to my strongest ball and stayed with it the final 2 games for a pair of 220's.

So, why was it oilier tonight? Lane guy said, he didn't change a thing. Well, since when do I have to move up in balls for later games?

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/01/17 09:14 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame

I thought it was going to be a special night after the first game, but I must have used up my strikes in that game, because I couldn't even come close to it in the other two games. The 257 was still my high game since my personal best (the 288 on Sept. 23, 2010).

Result: 257-147-145=549
Average (12 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 186
Next week's AVG+1 score: 558

Composite average (21 games): 174

I missed being high on the pair by one pin, but my effort wasn't wasted, as the team took six points.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/01/17 09:58 PM

Congrats on the 257 Richie, great game.

208+236+202=646 for me tonight. Still getting used to the new pattern and hit the pocket just about all night but carry is not as good and 5 opens on the night didn't help either (two apiece in games 1 & 3). Actually was having a good 3rd game and was on a triple when I left a 10 pin in the 9th and missed it before going 9/9 in the 10th so a potential 246 turned into a 202. I think I figured out how to play the lanes, gotta lay it down just inside 2nd arrow with just a couple of boards of head belly but need to be more consistent with my rotation and spare shooting to get back to 700+.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/03/17 11:33 AM

ugh - that's all I have to say about last night's league. Ugh.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/03/17 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
ugh - that's all I have to say about last night's league. Ugh.

Tell us how you really feel? grin

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/03/17 06:03 PM

Double Ugh. Lowest series over last 2 years.
No spares in the first 2 games, but did have 9 splits.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/04/17 05:50 PM

IDK, after my worst night in years, I came back with a 684. Go figure???

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/04/17 10:42 PM

I definitely wanted my first game back, but I saved something in the third game with my first deuce in this league this season. I wasn't lined up on my 10 pin, but, fortunately, I didn't have to shoot one in the third game, picking up everything I could shoot at for a clean game.

Result: 123-169-207=499
Average (12 games): 166
Average for last 9 games: 170
Next week's AVG+1 score: 512

Composite average (24 games): 173

Brian and Tom were both over 500, and Kathy chipped in a 183 first game. We took four from a very tough team (the core of which were the league's champions two seasons ago).

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/07/17 12:05 AM

Ugh for me too, especially after the first game: 236, 181, 204 for 621. Lanes played a lot tighter on the left side and I noticed even other lefties on other pairs had trouble getting their ball to the pocket in practice. So not sure what they're doing with the pattern but I was able to play a little further out than normal (around 5-6) but had to watch my speed. Started with a clean 236 but fell apart in the 2nd game when I stopped carrying and whiffed two 7 pins. 3rd game more of the same with a bad adjustment ending up in a washout. Had just 114 after 7 coming off an open but made an adjustment to get lower at the line and get the ball onto the lane and was able to go off the sheet to finish in the two-0s. Frustrating that in the last 3 weeks the shot has played drastically different.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/07/17 06:07 PM

They finally put a decent amount of oil on the lanes today, I was able to use my favorite ball, Game Breaker 2. 175, 225, 231.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/08/17 09:20 PM

A bit more consistent effort tonight, as I only missed one single pin (a 10 in the second game) and had at least a double in each game.

Result: 194-202-174=570
Average (15 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 183
Next week's AVG+1 score: 552

Composite average (27 games): 175

The three of us were all over 500 tonight, with all of us over 200 in the second game. Team won first two and total for six.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/08/17 09:58 PM

Good bounce back you two.

Had 244,238,205 for 687 tonight. Used my Brute Strength and happy with how I threw it for the most part. Made sure to get down low and get it on the lane so the ball could transition properly, and that allowed me some swing area. Had a possible 279 going into the last frame of game 1 but rushed the shot a bit and paid for it with my only split of the night. Second game was clean, 3rd game started with 4 strikes but then ran into some issues, thought about making a ball change but didn't pull the trigger. Whiffed two 7 pins though to cost me the 700 series so not a great end to the night but I think I've figured some things out after a subpar 2 week stretch.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/08/17 10:16 PM

Those dang 7 pins (10 pins for us righties) livid

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/10/17 07:43 AM

Last week I started 2 games with 4 timers and wasn't close to 600...nertz
Posted by: IronMike

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/11/17 02:31 PM

Haven't posted in a while, but...I'm back!

Relocated to NC a couple of years ago and took me a while to find a house I'm comfortable with. Subbed in a league last fall and it turned out to be a team/house I enjoyed so this is my first full league in a couple years. I finished with a 199 average over 24 games at this house last year (my highest average up to this point for a full season was ~185).

Moving on to this year, something weird is happening. I practiced zero over the summer break. Did not go to a bowling alley one time. Came in week one expecting some rust, and dropped a 723 scratch (my first 700 ever). And it's like something just clicked, entirely mental idea . My average reset at 225 after following that up with a 645 and then back to back 666's (gross). Last night I opened up with the front 10 and wrapped the 10 in my first fill (I've never thrown a 300). Finished the night with my new high series at 289-253-223 (765). In the 8th frame of the last game I could have gone off the sheet for an 800.

My average is 231 now through 5 weeks. I don't know what's happening. Am I just on the heater of all heaters? Anybody seen jumps like this before that were actually sustained over the course of a year?

I want to be excited about the scores but in the back of my mind I'm dreading the correction! eek

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/11/17 11:00 PM

This season so far has been a tale of two leagues, because as well as I've been generally bowling Sunday night, it's been a relative struggle on Wednesday night. Five splits not converted tonight (there was one that was) killed a lot of my score, and the bright spot I could take from it was that I made every single 10 pin I had to shoot at, with both of my single pin misses in the first game.

Result: 153-171-161=485
Average (15 games): 165
Average for last 9 games: 162
Next week's AVG+1 score: 510

Composite average (30 games): 174

Team got good games from Thomas (first game) and Brian (third game), and the 10 pin I made filling the 10th frame second game turned out to be the difference in that game. End result was another four points.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/14/17 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: goobee
Those dang 7 pins (10 pins for us righties) livid

Hear hear! Didn't miss one tonight, but didn't start leaving them until the 3rd game either.

Had a strong but frustrating night. 258, 260, 205 for 723. Happy to bounce back after two subpar weeks in this league but things started to go downhill in frame 10 of game 2. Had the front 9 and threw shot #10 and left a 6,7,8,10. I thought I made a good enough shot, maybe a touch soft but gave it room. Went for the spare and clipped off only the 10 pin, so 260. A 300 there would have put me at 558 after 2 which would have given me a good chance at my first 800 series, so disappointed.

Lanes to really change for me at that point, had 1 other lefty bowling with us as a sub and he had a much higher rev rate. Made some adjustments to get back to the pocket, but couldn't carry nearly as well as the first 2 games and could only shoot 205.

Team took 26 out of 30 points, our lefty sub really helped us out as well. I managed to take 3 out of 4 of my head-to-head points, only losing the 3rd game. Added a pin to my average, so I'll take it.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/14/17 08:03 AM

I've had an interesting start to my season. The first 4 weeks were a fight to shoot my average and I missed 600 the 4th week. I went to practice after that week and found something. Last week, I started with a split then off the sheet for a 278 (I wanted the first frame back) followed by a 266. Much like wronghander, I was thinking about my first 800 but as the lanes transitioned I kept the pocket but lost carry and shot 215 for a 759.

Last night, I started the first game with a big gift. I was on the front 8 and up on the right lane which would start to hook like crazy for the rest of the night. My shot jumped high and I was looking at a 4-6 but something knocked the 4 pin down and it fell slowly sideways such that the head of it barely nudged the 6 pin down. I got up in the 10th and finished the 300. Then, I lost carry like the week before and shot 226,214 for a 740. I have to try balling down as they break down to stay a little more direct and see if it remedies my carry problems.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/14/17 01:22 PM

Nice going Mark!!!

Keep the streak going!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/15/17 09:21 PM

I did nothing wrong tonight that I couldn't recover from. My missed makeables were all in the first game, but that was countered with the back six. There were a couple of splits in the second game, but I was clean the rest of the night after leaving the 7-9-10 in the third frame of the second game, and I converted a couple of splits, including a tough 5-10, to stay clean in the third game.

Result: 210-191-209=610
Average (18 games): 186
Average for last 9 games: 192
Next week's AVG+1 score: 575

Composite average (33 games): 176

On a night that Peter was absent and everyone on the pair was over 500, I was the only one over 600, and my team swept all eight.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/15/17 09:38 PM

Congrats Mark on the 300!!!

Nice job Richie on the 600 series as well, and on the 5-10 conversion (which is a lot tougher to make from your side!).

Had a decent weekend. Saturday shot 199+244+236=679 in my UBA debut. I was in a house I had never bowled in before and on the scratch pair to boot. Lanes were slick but I was able to play up 5 with my Grudge so after spending the better part of the first game getting lined up. Team lost 26-14 overall, but our whole team on all 3 pairs all got off to a rough start and while we battled back we were only able to make up total on one of them. Fun experience though and I'm hoping to be in the lineup again in December when it comes to Richie's home house.

Back to league action tonight, shot 191+269+224=684. Sluggish start in game 1 where I struggled to put strikes together and a tugged shot resulted in an open frame. Switched to my Grudge on the fill ball and left a 5,10 the first frame of game 2, which I managed to convert. Moved a little bit left and managed to throw 7 in a row. 3rd game the lanes changed a bit and tried to stay on top of it but left some single pin spares. Stayed clean for the 224.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/16/17 09:58 AM

bowling for Men's Senior Travel today. I'm a sub. But, still have to drive over 35 miles.

It's challenging and fun.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/17/17 05:07 PM

Turns out we bowled the #2 team last night. We had no idea until the end of game 2, LOL.

First game was clean - basically rolling Dutch through the 6th. Left 3 10s, a 7, and a 4 picked them all up. 209. Nice, fairly relaxed and pleasant.

Second game - swapped lanes that worked (bah!) and rolled into a 2-4-10 in the 4th, left the 10. Did the SAME thing (threw it way wide) in the 7th, but missed it SO bad that I picked it up! LOL - went sheet from there for a 223.

Third game - hip and knee were starting to ache a bit so my nice relaxed throw was getting labored. Left the 4-6-7 in the third and whiffed it. Did the same thing in the 5th and grabbed 2. Left the 1-2-8 in the 7th but missed the 8. 182 this one, but my M-in-L (in her 80s) rolled 203 (average 140ish), my F-in-L (in his 80s) rolled 200, and my wife (average 137) rolled 190 . . . so they held me UP! smile

Not a huge night, but not a bad night! smile
Posted by: BOSStull

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/17/17 08:43 PM

Nice going on the 300 Mark.

Haven't really been posting about my weekly league but last week was not very pleasant to start. After 3 unmakeable splits and a 3rd frame score of 23 to start I switched to my Hy-Road for a couple of strikes and a solid 9 pin leave then the pinsetter on our lane broke. After about a 30 min delay we were informed we are being moved just when I thought I was dialed in. Got to the new lanes and was informed the lane man didn't oil them. Do you want them oiled? Of course we do. So after another delay about 20 min we are ready to start again. At least we got a free pizza out of that. Then we were asked if we want to see of we can have a practice frame? I didn't know if this was kosher or not. I was up and said let's bowl. After being up since 430am it was becoming a long night. I was ready to go. What a surprise a strike on my first 3 shots and finished with a 179, then 211 and 243 for a 633. Not bad considering all. Team won 7. Got a free pizza. The night finished a lot better than how it started.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/18/17 10:26 AM

My knee is aching. Mon afternoon, Sr Travel Scratch League, 565. Mon nite Men's League 655. Tues morn Senior League 615.

OK I guess. Taking a day off now. Bowl twice tomorrow.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/18/17 11:21 PM

I was finally back in the 500s in this league, though I sort of wanted my second game back. Along with adding Ralph, we made a lineup change, putting me in the lead-off spot, where I have some comfort from being in that position on my Sunday night team, and Brian took over our anchor spot. This marks the first time I haven't been my team's anchor in Brunswick Mixed, but I feel the lineup change helped me tonight.

Result: 192-148-190=530
Average (18 games): 167
Average for last 9 games: 168
Next week's AVG+1 score: 520

Composite average (36 games): 176

Four out of five of us were over 500, with Tom having the high game of our group (233). Team once again won all four, and we were told before leaving that we took over 2nd place.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/19/17 01:58 AM

Struggled last Saturday morning, 160, 199, 178. The only highpoint was making the 6-7-10 split.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/20/17 10:52 PM

Nice pickup.

279+191+225=695 for me tonight. Got to the lanes and started feeling under the weather with a cold and runny nose which got worse as the evening went along. Still felt well enough to bowl and clearly didn't have any issues in the first game (10 pin on a half hit was the only thing I left). Second game though fatigue kicked in and didn't roll the ball as well and had a few opens to boot. Recovered to strike out for 191 and decided to stick it out for game 3 where I had an early open but recovered with a 4-bagger and stayed clean the rest of the way. Kept my average at 233.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/21/17 11:19 AM

Thanks all for the congratulations. We didn't bowl in league last night, our teammate got married and our whole team was at the wedding along with 1/2 the bride's team. I'm planning on shooting a few tomorrow morning and we're going to bowl our makeup for last night after we finish bowling league next week. That should be a fun long night next week, I'm hoping we're done no later than 11:00.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/22/17 08:56 PM

I was just never really comfortable tonight. My usual line wasn't holding pocket, and I tried just about everything I knew with little success. I knew a correction was coming, but I wasn't expecting to fail to break 400.

Result: 132-125-129=386
Average (21 games): 178
Average for last 9 games: 174

Composite average (39 games): 172

We were once again missing Peter, but, this time, we lost all eight on a night where just about everyone struggled.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/22/17 10:42 PM

Tough series, but shake it off and go get em on Wednesday.

Had my high series of the season tonight with 258, 255, 253 for 766. Felt a lot better and was pretty much over my cold by Saturday morning. Actually bowled a tourney yesterday (Trios format with a baker style finals) and my team made it all the way to the final match before losing. Felt like I could have bowled better, shot was a little tighter than at home and I struggled with carry, but just did not make quality adjustments. Teammate and I had a good chat on the ride home and he told me I tend to overthink too much when I'm on the lanes and need to just make adjustments with my feet and target instead of trying to change other stuff.

So back on the home house shot tonight in a casual mixed league was definitely a welcome setting. Was clean in the first two games but in the 3rd game started with 9/, triple, and then had the ball hang in my thumb, resulting in a baby split, which I missed for the only open of the night. Struck all the way until the 12th so had that middle frame been an X I would have shot 800.

Feel like I'm close to getting it though. My carry is a lot better than last year. I'm seeing the ball get to the same spot down lane but instead of dying out at the end and leaving a flat 7 it's driving through the pins and striking. Sometimes very loudly. Average improved 5 pins in this league after tonight, up to 228.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/24/17 01:40 PM

Ugh - the high Santa Ana winds were horrible - in fact the center locked its front doors and asked us to use the side doors it was so bad.

In our part (right inside the doors) of the center, the lanes were DRY, and what little oil there was ended up getting pushed all around the place. ALL of us had a line, then it went away within even a frame. I had EIGHT splits, all of which came right after flush pocket shots (and two crushing pocket 7-10s in the third game)

Still, since everyone was struggling, including our opponents, we took three. First game, we lost by 57. Second we won by 15 (so down 42, now) Third game we had locked up but needed 43 to win . . . comes down to me as anchor and I tossed a crushing pocket shot and left a very solid 7-10. We won total by 2 pins. Boy did I dodge that.

Got down to the point that I needed ball speed to overcome but was SOOO tired that I just couldn't get it there. (thanks to the huge amount of home improvement work over the weekend).

Ugh - 156-194-156.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/25/17 12:22 PM

Unfortunately missed last week but got back into it yesterday.

Had a shaky start to the night and was concerned I'd lost my mojo. 3 opens in the first 5 frames had me worried, two being ugly splits on light hits. I made a ball change to something slightly more aggressive trying to give myself more room outside, and it seemed to work out. Finished game one with a 202. Was making good pace through game two and lost the shot in a hurry around frame 6. Finished that game with another 202 and dropped back to my original ball for game three. Strung together a 6 bagger to finish with a 255.

Overall a 659 series in probably my most difficult night of the year in terms of the shot. Was glad to stay above 2's in all 3 games.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/25/17 06:15 PM

Nice recovery IronMike.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/25/17 10:40 PM

Not quite what I had in mind to bounce back from Sunday night, but I was at least reasonably happy with my third game, which had a late double to cover one open frame. It was also a better night on my 10 pin, missing only one out of four.

Result: 164-139-195=498
Average (21 games): 166
Next week's AVG+1 score: 502

Composite average (42 games): 172

Ralph and Brian had good first games for the only game we won tonight.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/26/17 01:15 AM

Subbed in a league tonight at a different center. Shot 234, 268, 246 for 748. And that was with two opens (slight miss on the 7 pin in the first game and again in the 3rd). Like Sunday I was able to string strikes in all 3 games. Amazing how a few small tweaks in my game has allowed me to carry much better.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/27/17 11:38 PM

Aaaand back to earth tonight, 182+223+213=618. Lanes played like they had more volume and I got off to a terrible start. Switched to my Grudge after leaving my 2nd pocket 7-9 of the night in game 2, and that got me through the rest of the night, but left a 3rd one anyway in game 3. Still hanging on to 230 in this league but need to just go in prepared for the shot to be different week to week I guess. Just did not get left enough, need to practice playing closer to the gutter.

Prebowled for my Sunday league earlier in the day, 243+226+201=670 but honestly didn't think I threw it all that well or consistently and carried a lot questionable strikes (light hits, tripped 6s). 3rd game was clean but could only muster a double.

Got a tournament Sunday at the same house where I shot the 748 the other night so hoping to bounce right back.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/28/17 08:30 AM

Last night, we likely created a new rule to be voted on at the end of the season. We were still planning on post-bowling after league to make up for being at our teammate's wedding last week. Our teammate wasn't there last night because he and his wife went away earlier in the week on an impromptu honeymoon. We were happy they went away, we were sort of surprised they they originally planned on being there last night. Our team had another bowler who was going to be late and the team we were bowling was down two bowlers (one was my teammate's new wife.) With both teams being down two bowlers and bowling 3-3, we got done very quickly and our late bowler didn't make it until the middle of the third game and would only bowl the post-bowl.

Here is where we caused trouble. We got done so quickly we were happy that we could start post-bowling right away and not be done post-bowling too late. Before we started, our teammate asked the league officers about post-bowling on the same pair where we finished so we wouldn't need to move, wait for other teams to get done, or bowl next to open bowlers. There is nothing in the by-laws, so we started right back up on that pair. Of course, we were bowling next to the team who we would have bowled the week before and they weren't too happy to see us post-bowl on that pair so they also asked the officers and got the same answer.

I'm curious if they would have said anything if I wasn't bowling well. One of my teammates shot slightly above average and my other teammate was really struggling and well below average for the regular league games. I shot 227-245-280 for a 752 in the regular league, then shot 266 the first game of the post-bowl. Our president didn't tell us that they said anything until the 2nd game of the post bowl which makes me sort of suspicious. I ended the post-bowl with a 191-235 for a 692.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/28/17 04:53 PM

It's pretty specific in our league, no pre/post bowling on the same pair of lanes. It happened to us last season, there was a delay until we could move to another pair. We wanted to start and end as fast as possible because of cosmic bowling coming on soon after league ends.

I struggled a bit today but managed 204, 205, 196. The second game was clean. (Yeah for me.)

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/28/17 06:16 PM

Our league only has a specific rule about no practice before league on the lanes for our league or the other league that bowls next to us, but that is it. It was established because, of course, there were complaints about the fresh shot being messed up by people practicing for 1-2 games beforehand.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/29/17 07:30 AM

Rules are Rules Mark. Nothing in rules stating you could not I would of done the same thing. Nice bowling for the night.

Last 2 weeks of bowling I hope this my new norm. 658 and 666 with only my Hy-Road. This week who knows what it will be. I will be throwing a new ball in the set. I hope I chose the right one.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/29/17 08:07 AM

I ran into a change in USBC Rules I didn't know of.

A bowler came late, 5th frame. Asked if he still could bowl. Opponent said, not after the 3rd frame. A discussion ensued, Is it 3rd or 5th?

Well, there is no League rule, so we consulted the Rule Book for 2017.

What we found was: A late bowler is to receive an absent score for the frames missed. Then bowls his regular game to finish.

There was no mention of 3rd or 5th or any number of frames. So, it's assumed a bowler can come in the 10th frame and just bowl that one, receiving absent scores for the first 9 frames.

And, by the way, the automatic scoring system can't do this. The System records a bowler absent for the entire game, not a partial. If a bowler comes late and is changed to a regular bowler, the entire game is wiped out, and is to be re-entered manually.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/29/17 08:47 AM

A bowler came late, 5th frame. Asked if he still could bowl. Opponent said, not after the 3rd frame. A discussion ensued, Is it 3rd or 5th?

Wow, our league definitely has that rule, it's the 3rd frame and they get to make up the missed frames. Most of the time when a bowler is late in our league, they let their teammates know and provide an ETA. Then, both teams agree to wait or bowl very slowly (even slower than what normally happens) as long as the ETA is reasonable. Otherwise, they'll just start at the beginning of the next game.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/29/17 10:10 AM

Was my assumption too. But, we went by the USBC rule.

I found it strange that the House couldn't make the scoring work. Second rule now that the scoring doesn't do it.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/29/17 10:24 AM

I ran into a change in USBC Rules I didn't know of.

What we found was: A late bowler is to receive an absent score for the frames missed. Then bowls his regular game to finish.

There was no mention of 3rd or 5th or any number of frames. So, it's assumed a bowler can come in the 10th frame and just bowl that one, receiving absent scores for the first 9 frames.

And, by the way, the automatic scoring system can't do this. The System records a bowler absent for the entire game, not a partial. If a bowler comes late and is changed to a regular bowler, the entire game is wiped out, and is to be re-entered manually.

I was not in our League meeting to start the year. I wonder what our league rules are now. Just a couple of weeks ago we let a bowler catch up that was late. I actually think the new rule is a better rule.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/29/17 09:01 PM

Just about anything I did tonight would have better than last week's disaster, but this wasn't what I had in mind, because I only had a double in the first and second games, and paid a penalty on most of my bad shots. I also didn't close out well, because the second game was the only time I threw three balls in the 10th.

Result: 159-169-142=470
Average (24 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 162
Next week's AVG+1 score: 544

Composite average (45 games): 171

Peter was absent for a third week, so we had to take a vacant instead of his blind. Ed had a 208 second game, and that produced the only two points we won.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/31/17 12:15 PM

Started to get the hang of this center's new oil pattern - but it's still really touch and go. Nothing I have matches up well so I have to do the matching, if you will.

First game had one open in the 7th, led off with a strike, and had a couple of doubles. 201.
Second game - two splits in 4 and 5. Finished by going sheet from 7th frame. 214
Third game - started with a spare then four-bagger. and then I went off the rails. Two big splits, then chopped the 3-6-10, then picked up two 10-pins to finish with 191.

606 - that's good. I'm fine with that.

BUT - I'm hugely struggling with anything that includes the 3 and the 10 - it's EITHER OR but not both. Sucks. MUST figure this out. I chopped TWO 3-6-10's. I've left a TON of baby splits, lately. Typically I'm money on these. . . don't know what happened.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 10/31/17 06:10 PM

Bowled in Senior league today. Was position round, and we were 4 ahead of the second place team. Took all 7 points, and it wasn't even close. I had a 225 first game and was 5th high on our pair. Open 10th hurt. But, finished for a 636.

I got accused of sandbagging. Hahaha. Just because I come in with a 180. Well, I did have a couple horrendous weeks.

So, I explained that I bowled just enough for my team to win. Every week. If the lanes are hooking, I flat out suck. My lack of speed really hurts.

It was also my Birthday, so my turn to buy a cake for all 80 bowlers. Those seniors must have been starving as 2 sheet cakes went real fast.

Got plenty of hugs from the women. Best part of the day. And, one invited me over for dinner. Hmmm, I have to ask the wife for permission. I think I already know the answer.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/01/17 10:08 PM

I was due for a "correction" the other way on Wednesday night, and I got it tonight with my most consistent night of the season. I had no more than two open frames in a game (2nd game), and only missed one single pin (the 7 that started the night) and one other makeable (a bucket). Of my strikes, only two were not part of a string.

Result: 216-201-213=630
Average (24 games): 172
Average for last 9 games: 184
Next week's AVG+1 score: 535

Composite average (48 games): 173

One of our opponents had a higher series than me, but we still won 1st and 3rd games and total from first place in a position round, so we're now within a point of the lead.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/02/17 07:29 AM

Nice rolling, Richie!!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/02/17 11:38 AM

Nice series Richie.

Like you, I was also due for a correction and hit it big. Mine was the bummer kind of correction, though.

Bowled on Halloween (blah) and of course our opponents pre-bowled and DESTROYED it. Going in knowing you have to bowl 80-100 pins over average as a team every game is not very encouraging. I also HATE bowling 'unopposed'.

I was late as a result of getting stuck behind a hayride on the way to the center. Got no warmup and threw 3 opens to start. It was all downhill from there, if that says anything. I could just never find the shot, pulled all 3 balls from the bag for the first time all year. I was mostly in and around the pocket, but the backend action just wasn't the same and my carry was AWFUL.

Threw 147-147-225. Went to urethane the last game and stopped leaving weird splits to salvage a 500 series, bleh. Gonna toss this one up to bad Halloween juju. Average dropped 9 pins to 221, at least I'll get some free sticks next week!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/02/17 01:17 PM

IronMike, if it makes you feel better, I went 257-14#-14# on one of my Sunday nights this season.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/03/17 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Mkirchie
Our league only has a specific rule about no practice before league on the lanes for our league or the other league that bowls next to us, but that is it. It was established because, of course, there were complaints about the fresh shot being messed up by people practicing for 1-2 games beforehand.

Mark

Funny story time...years ago I bowled in a Sunday AM triples league that filled the 16 lane house. Even way back then, I felt I needed warmups to loosen up my body. I never warmed up on the pair I was going to bowl on, but OF COURSE there was whining about me messin' up their oil. I went two weeks saying nothing about the whining, then the next week, I warmed up on a single lane!. LoL

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/03/17 08:16 PM

6-ball, now that is our house rule. If you practice, you have to use 2 lanes.

Practice is allowed, but only on yourown lanes.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/03/17 11:54 PM

My league does not allow practice on your own lanes, but I think that might actually be better if you were only allowed to practice on your own pair. About a month ago ago my teammate and I bowled a few games of warmup prior to league and we asked for the pair next to us, just so that we wouldn't have to move our stuff that far.

Two of the bowlers that were on that pair took exception to that and asked to bowl on our pair. One of them went to his locker, took out the dullest ball he had and "practiced" with that. Of course that ball went right back in his locker before league started. Didn't affect us in our match though.

So anyway was hoping to rebound tonight from a subpar set last Friday and had some good practice sessions this week (including bowling a 300 yesterday, lol). Lanes were really good tonight and the friction was there for me to play outside and not have to be so speed sensitive. Shot 266 and 269 out of the gate before struggling with carry in the 3rd game with a clean 218 for 753. Only disappointment really was not doubling in the 10th frame of any game.

Obviously would have liked to get the 8 after that start but it's tough to do. My teammate just missed out on one last week with 795 and a guy on the pair next to us tonight had 565 after 2 and could only muster a 215 in the last game. But I'll take my 4th 750 of the season and the two added pins to my average when I was barely hanging onto 230 going into tonight.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/05/17 12:40 AM

Bit of a struggle today, 170, 215, 182. I think they are finally getting the hang of their new machine as the lanes are fairly consistent week to week.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/05/17 08:58 PM

I followed up my Wednesday night with a much better Sunday night (comparing it to my two recent Sunday nights). I only missed one makeable spare and no single pins, and put together turkeys early and late in the second game for my 220.

Result: 186-220-177=583
Average (27 games): 177
Average for last 9 games: 159
Next week's AVG+1 score: 549

Composite average (51 games): 175

Winning the second game by 168 pins (thanks to Ed's 224, also) must have made Shawn Syde, one of our opponents, mad, because he proceeded to close out the night with a 300 game, and, indeed, if Shawn had bowled a better second game, his 800 was out there with a 288 first game. The teams split 4-4.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/05/17 09:07 PM

Nice bowling Richie.

225, 235, 212 for 672 tonight. Just not as consistent as the other night and my carry wasn't as good, but two opens didn't help either.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/05/17 09:50 PM

Friday night was a disaster for me, the lanes got really dry early and in my stubbornness I didn't make the inside move I needed to make. It didn't help that my first game was good and then I fell off a cliff the last two games and ended up with a 540 with 7 splits on the night. I felt like it was partially my mechanics and my misreading of the lanes. There's still a lot of swirling rumors of the consistency of the shot either due to the maintenance of the machine or them playing with the shot.

I went to practice this morning to center myself and try to play a little deeper than I had the last few weeks. Of course, I left only one split in three games and shot a 711 with a different ball each game. Hopefully it works well in league.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/07/17 05:34 PM

My inconsistency continues in Senior Travel League. 168 - 266 - 178.

just a minor diff in speed for game 3 left 4 10 pins instead of falling like they did in game 2. Worst part was, I missed 3.

Seems that 5-10 minute break between games hurts my concentration and speed control.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/08/17 11:08 PM

I'm on a nice little heater on Wednesday night right now. The BowlSK sheet linked above has the "best since" for my second game and series noted, but it should be said that I was thinking 700 after the second game, but just didn't put enough quality shots together to end it. Once again, I made every single-pin spare, so worrying about not making those was not on my mind.

Result: 204-269-173=646
Average for last 9 games: 197

Composite average (54 games): 177

After winning the first game comfortably, my team really needed me in the second game to take the point; unfortunately, our opponents won the third game by enough to steal total for the 2-2 split.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/09/17 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Richie V.

I'm on a nice little heater on Wednesday night right now. The BowlSK sheet linked above has the "best since" for my second game and series noted, but it should be said that I was thinking 700 after the second game, but just didn't put enough quality shots together to end it. Once again, I made every single-pin spare, so worrying about not making those was not on my mind.

Result: 204-269-173=646

Composite average (54 games): 177

After winning the first game comfortably, my team really needed me in the second game to take the point; unfortunately, our opponents won the third game by enough to steal total for the 2-2 split.
Good run, Richie!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/10/17 11:29 AM

Alas, another week another average drop.

163-185-203 for an 80 below average 551. Blah.

No excuses this week, I just couldn't quite find the shot. Lanes weren't the problem, I had the line if I could throw it. My release was off and the ball just wouldn't go where I wanted it :-P Didn't help my score that I was missing spares as well. Whiffed on two 7 pins, a 6, and a 9. However I did pick up a 3-7 AND the 2-4-8-10. Figures.

I -think- I need to slow down my approach. Getting to my third and fourth step a little quick and my backswing is suffering. Gonna head to the lanes for practice tonight to test my theory out.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/10/17 11:07 PM

I struggled as well. Last night subbed in a scratch league in a tougher house, barely broke 600 with 213, 191, and 202. Tonight was hoping to rebound but only could really do so in the 3rd game with 214+186+237=637. Got off to a terrible start, ball just wasn't coming off my hand the right way and I had 37 after 3 before switching my thumb slug and then pulling my next shot to leave a baby split. Converted it and struck all the way to the 10th and had a chance to go off for 237, but something was off in my timing and I actually threw a gutter ball in the 11th, ugh.

Second game I felt I was throwing it better but could not carry. Also left a pocket 7-9. With a little luck could've had 3 or 4 in a row toward the end of the game, but instead it's 10 pin, X, ringing 7, and pinch high for a 6. Only high note of the game was striking on the fill ball in the 11th to take my point by a single pin.

3rd game moved out and was actually targeting 60 feet (using the 7 pin as my target) so I could keep my speed up and get enough angle to carry. Stayed clean and left only single pins, but would have liked to been over 250 that game. Fortunately our opponents struggled and our team took 23 out of 30 with me taking all 4 off my opponent despite the below average scores.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/11/17 07:26 AM

After the struggle I had last Friday night and a successful practice on last Sunday morning, I came in fairly confident last night and got lined up in practice. I threw away two easy spares early in the first game and shot 203. I missed the transition in the middle of the 2nd game and left a big 4 in the middle of the 2nd game but still shot a nice 249. I felt that I had a decent line at the end of the 2nd game and ended up shooting a 300 the last game. I've never shot two in less than a month. It was also on the same pair that I shot the last one.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/11/17 12:24 PM

WTG Mark smile

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/12/17 08:55 PM

I was really second-guessing my ball choice in the first game tonight, as I thought I had a look with the Marvel Pearl, but underperformed, and I bowled much better when I went back to the Tropical Breeze (which I started practice with). All of my spare misses again were with multiple pins standing.

Result: 131-189-200=520
Average (30 games): 177
Next week's AVG+1 score: 563

Composite average (57 games): 177

I sunk my team in the first game, as we were under the 498 we needed to win the points against the vacant. Peter did return tonight, and had a 251 third game to help cover for Ed.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/14/17 12:58 PM

Practice on Friday went well for me.

I started off with some single pin spare practice and realized around my 3rd shot that my release just felt different, but I wasn't sure why. Next shot I tried to do everything the same but just pay attention to how I was releasing; I wasn't trying to fix it, just observe it. Turns out it was my follow through - I was yanking my hand back before I was even half of where I usually finish. Made the correction and all 5 practice games were easily over 200.

Bowl again tonight so I'll find out if the fix holds in league play. Will edit this post with results.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/14/17 01:32 PM

Bowled well last night. We still only took 1, but we lost the first one by 2 pins - of course, if I hadn't left three in my fill frame, it would have been 2-2

246 - clean. Ran 6 in a row. Needed a strike in the 10th to win - either strike and count, or 9-spare plus strike. Well, picked up my 10-pin, but then dropped ball speed trying to be careful and left the 3-6-10. Meh. Still - 246 is still happy by me.

223 - would have been better but, once again, dropped ball speed in the 10th trying to be careful and left the 4-6-7 split. . . we won by 29.

196 for last game. Left two splits. One was a CRUSHING pocket 7-10. Ugh - just ripped my heart out. I almost walked that one off, it felt so good. Instead I just stayed posted and then deflated. Sigh. Anyway - pulled it into a 196 after the two splits. Lost this one bad, but can't really compete with an absent 214 avg, plus a two-hander who got HOT in the third game (he shot like 235 or something) and his dad who also got hot (something like 225) . . . so we just smiled on the outside. LOL

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/15/17 11:11 AM

I guess there is a limit to how long after a post you can edit it so I'll just make another one!

League went much better last night. I was plagued by some nasty leaves but we were basically dominating in position round so nothing to get hot and bothered about.

Started off the night with an open, but then put together 6 strikes in the middle of the card to post a 237 in the first game.

Second game I missed the transition and threw two split opens before changing balls and finding my groove again. Recovered from 3 opens (bleh) in the first 5 frames to throw a 192.

Third game I was absolutely on point. The best I've rolled the ball all year. Unfortunately I didn't post a great score, but I'm not worried about that. All 11 strike balls were high flush. I'm talking HIGH F-L-U-S-H. Two of them I leaked a little wide and came in with probably a bit too much angle; wrapped the 10 (messenger came back in front of the 10 on one) on both of those but not shocking with the angle. The other 9 were gorgeous, over my mark, rolled over at the perfect break point and came into the pocket with energy. Left two solid 8's and a stone 9 on 3 of those balls. Was clean the whole game though and managed a 218.

All in all a 647 night to hit my average dead on. With the breaks I got it could have been a 7 pretty easily, so encouraging night. Always good when some practice pays off.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/15/17 11:13 PM

I was probably due to come back down after consecutive 600s in this league, but, if coming back down still meant I hit my +1 score, as it did tonight, I'd take it. Splits were mostly my undoing tonight, but I did convert on two of them (a 3-9-10 and a 5-7), and I've now made 33 consecutive single pins between my two leagues.

Result: 187-156-221=564
Average (30 games): 178
Average for last 9 games: 204
Next week's AVG+1 score: 561

Composite average (60 games): 177

Brian was our real star tonight, as he had 254-211-265 for a personal high 730 series tonight. Team won all four.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/16/17 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Richie V.
I've now made 33 consecutive single pins between my two leagues.

thumbsup That's impressive.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/18/17 12:32 AM

Congrats on that 300 Mark and nice shooting Mike and Richie as well.

Lots of bowling for me this week. Sunday I struggled with 159, 202, 215 to drop below 600 for the first time this season. Really struggled with holding on to the ball, this happens to me once we start getting the colder weather.

Then I subbed Tuesday at a different house after getting my IT slug changed out for a size smaller and bowled much better: 224+245+268=737. Subbed again there on Wednesday and couldn't quite get it together with 204+207+161=572. Having 2 other lefties on the pair didn't help and the lanes were bad for all 3 of us in the last game as we were all under 200 (and both of them were 230+ average bowlers).

Then today got in some practice but also had to prebowl for Sunday and had to deal with the glow bowling crap and loud music because most of the house was taken up for some type of corporate event. But it was the only opportunity I had to prebowl so I went with it but started out with 191, 192 basically hitting the pocket every time but having trouble carrying (and whiffing a single pin in each game) before finishing with 236 when I was finally able to string some strikes in the 3rd game. My average is going to be down to 222 in that league, lost 5 pins in the last 3 weeks, ugh.

So had a little break before the Friday night league started and hoping to shake it off because it was a position night for us and we were in 4th going in, so winning the half is still within reach since we still have 1/3 of the half remaining (3 position rounds per half in this league). Our captain decided to move me up to the leadoff spot tonight so I could bowl against their lefty who is only averaging 239. So I was bowling scratch against him and wasn't feeling too good after I started with 9/,9/ and he started with a double.

However fortunes changed from there as I started to string strikes and he struggled. I finished with 247, 257, and 225 for 729 and easily took all 4 of my points from him, going 30 clean as well. I was able to stay relaxed and that helped me make better shots. Team went 17-13 overall and I brought my average in this league up to 231 so I'll take it.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/19/17 09:15 PM

It was a struggle to put anything together tonight, as the only time I had consecutive strikes was in the 10th frame of the second game (and a situation where they came on the same lane). My run of single-pin spares made was stopped at 35 with a 10 pin miss, but that was also my only missed single pin of the night.

Result: 141-171-162=474
Average (33 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 551

Composite average (63 games): 176

The second game was a disappointment, as that was Ed's low game of a 569 night. Team did win the other two games and total.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/21/17 01:16 PM

Interesting night last night. I left work about a half hour early to run to the dentist to get started on a crown for a broken molar and to get a temporary crown. THEN race to get to the lanes before the third frame . . . which I did.

Very gracious opponents. Gave me a hard time, but definitely with smiles on their faces.

no warmup. No loosening up. Been in the Jeep for 1.5 hours, then in the dentist chair for 45 minutes, then back in the Jeep for 30 minutes, then jump in to bowl.

first game, 158. Three opens, including the 10th. Didn't really loosen up a lot, but figured out to change balls from the Crux to the IQTP.

Second game, 213. Much better, left the first and tenth frames open (dangitall!) but six strikes and two spares. Felt MUCH better.

Third game, 245. Had the line, knew what "give" I had (inside about 2 boards, outside about 1, and DO NOT lose the speed) and what move I had to make. Clean, left the third frame slow so left the 3-6-10, 7th picked up the 10 pin, in the fill picked up the 10 pin.

So, with a 158 first frame, still got a 616 scratch. I guess that will do! smile

Funny thing. . . we won the game I rolled 158, but we LOST the other two. Opposing team has THREE 200+ bowlers and 1 165. the 165 and one other were absent (avg-10) and the other two pretty much went off as I did. Second game, one was hot and the other was "ok". third game they both went off - and got a LOT of lucky pin-fall. SSSSLLLOOOWWW leaner 7 or 10, or slow messenger, or pinfall toward the front . . . LOL

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/22/17 07:28 PM

Alright I finally posted another big score on Tuesday night.

I was extremely worried from the get go, we bowled on pair 1&2 and the wall of the alley is literally less than a foot from the left gutter on 1. In warmups I COULD NOT shoot at the 6,9, or 10. I throw across on my corner spares and have a big leg kick which was completely blocked by the wall.

Solved that problem by leaving almost no spare shots on number 1.

Started with my IQTP last night instead of the Track 508A which is my usual benchmark and I think that helped a ton. The Storm handled the fresh great and once it broke down I switched to the Track and was able to keep the exact same line.

Threw a 248, 263, 226 for a 737 series. Strung together 14 in a row between games one and two. My first 12 in a row of any kind in league. Had the front 8 in game two before pulling it in frame 9 and busting the head pin dead on, luckily no split. Think I tried to calm myself down a bit too much and didn't put enough behind the shot.

Second game of the year with the front 8. I can smell that 300 coming! But I'll definitely be content if I just keep posting 700's regularly. grin 3rd 700+ of the year, which makes 3 700+'s ever ha. Average should be back up to 220 next week.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/22/17 10:58 PM

I've been fortunate in this recent Wednesday night run to have a great game cover my bad ones, but tonight could have been better, as well, as missing 10 pins, including three in a row to end the first game, probably cost me my 600 tonight.

Result: 142-247-173=562
Average (33 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 196
Next week's AVG+1 score: 572

Composite average (66 games): 177

Brian gave us the bad news (for us) that he accepted a job offer in New Hampshire and gave his two week notice to the league. He did help us to all four points tonight, with Tom joining me in the second game with a 255 of his own.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/24/17 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: IronMike
Alright I finally posted another big score on Tuesday night.

I was extremely worried from the get go, we bowled on pair 1&2 and the wall of the alley is literally less than a foot from the left gutter on 1. In warmups I COULD NOT shoot at the 6,9, or 10. I throw across on my corner spares and have a big leg kick which was completely blocked by the wall.

Solved that problem by leaving almost no spare shots on number 1.

Started with my IQTP last night instead of the Track 508A which is my usual benchmark and I think that helped a ton. The Storm handled the fresh great and once it broke down I switched to the Track and was able to keep the exact same line.

Threw a 248, 263, 226 for a 737 series. Strung together 14 in a row between games one and two. My first 12 in a row of any kind in league. Had the front 8 in game two before pulling it in frame 9 and busting the head pin dead on, luckily no split. Think I tried to calm myself down a bit too much and didn't put enough behind the shot.

Second game of the year with the front 8. I can smell that 300 coming! But I'll definitely be content if I just keep posting 700's regularly. grin 3rd 700+ of the year, which makes 3 700+'s ever ha. Average should be back up to 220 next week.
awesone job!!!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/24/17 10:41 PM

Good set Mike, nice recovery in the 2nd game Richie.

Came back down to earth after my 803 the other night. 247+147+213=607. Started out with two opens in the first 3 frames but recovered to go off the sheet. Second game was a total disaster. Had 2 other lefties on the pair and the lanes started to change rapidly and went from hitting the pocket and leaving 7 pins to nasty splits. Only strike of the game was on the fill ball in the 10th. 3rd game I was able to find some success with my Brute Strength moving in and swinging it and overcame an open in the first frame to salvage the 600 series. Oh well. Need to practice playing inside the 2nd arrow.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/26/17 09:17 PM

On a night that saw my single 10 pin be elusive, it was better carry in the third game that saved my night. The split conversion I had was a "slow motion" one, with the 7 falling just before the pins were swept.

Result: 153-171-213=537
Average (36 games): 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 542

Composite average (69 games): 177

I was high on the team (by just a pin over Peter), but not on the pair. Team lost all eight to the leaders.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/26/17 09:25 PM

Good recovery in the 3rd game anyhow.

Shot 191+247+246=684 tonight. Started with my Antidote which was a mistake, had virtually no miss room with that ball and was too stubborn to change until a few frames into the 2nd game. Did just fine with the Arson High Flare. Had a chance to go off the sheet for 267 in the last game which would have put me over 700 but left a 10 pin, ah well. Team took all 8 anyhow.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/28/17 12:04 PM

Interesting night last night.

I had broken my right pinky toe over Thanksgiving weekend (WHY is that thing SOOOOO sensitive??? I mean, it's TINY! (comparatively)) so stuffing it into a bowling shoe. . .

And I forgot my wrist brace as well, so I borrowed one (ugh - hated the thing - the one with metal on inside and outside? ) and it felt really weird - pretty much had to REALLY focus and kinda change everything, just for one night. Still, could be worse.

First game - tried to go without the brace, but wrist popped and threw brooklyn and then 2-4-10. Put on the brace and finished 217.

Second game - 234. open-fourbagger-three spares-fourbagger.

Third game - first three solid, left a crushing pocket 7-10, another split, double, washout, strike, then 4-6. 174. Bah.

Still - 625. I'm happy with that. smile

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/29/17 08:41 AM

Last two weeks for me have been ugly. I don't remember my exact scores or series (probably because I'm trying to forget them), but they were both around 570-590. Lanes haven't been fresh due to high school bowling starting and bowling before us and lots of open bowling the day after Thanksgiving. However, I've gone to practice the last two Sunday mornings on fresh shots and I'm totally confused. Besides a lot of over/under reaction with resin, they're hooking like crazy in league. However when I went to practice the last two Sunday mornings I'm fighting to get resin to roll up and carry. I had gone to practice the first Sunday of this month on a fresh shot and had no such problems along with having a fresh shot all season up until the past two weeks, so I do think that for whatever reason something is up with the shot.

I've used my Super Natural in league a few times this season when I have struggled with resin and it has worked OK, so last Sunday morning I figured at some point I'd try to use my old urethane Turbo that I hadn't bowled a whole game with in a few years. Switched to it the third game after fighting a lot of over/under and bad carry. Played straight up 7 first shot with the Turbo and it hit high flush like a ton of bricks. Shot the front 8 with it and ended with a 269. The next game I tried to switch back to resin, over/under reaction again with bad carry. I'm contemplating starting with the Turbo on Friday night in league. It just feels weird to me to have to possibly make this switch to urethane again like I did a few seasons ago, however I've been feast or famine with resin for most of the season. Any thoughts?

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/29/17 11:13 AM

Yeh I always start to have trouble once the weather changes. Or seemingly, and I blame it on the weather confused Just seems like the lanes have a hard change around the 2nd third of the season, and it often coincides with temperatures dropping. I noticed this when I bowled in Louisiana and now in North Carolina. Just an observation though, probably not much help *shrug*

Bowling last night was interesting. Cut the tip of my middle finger on my throwing hand open (deep, half inch long) on Monday night. Had to put some liquid skin on it and wrap with tape. It held together and didn't hurt, but I couldn't really bend the finger which definitely changed my shot.

I managed a 246-197-215 to hit average dead on with a 658. Was throwing the ball about 1.5 mph slower. Oil held the shot on the first game but I started having to move WAY inside to compensate for the speed and just couldn't throw consistently enough at that angle.

We lost the last game by 1 pin. Anchor opened frames 9 and 10 crying

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/29/17 10:14 PM

No deuces tonight, but I had only one game under average, and that by not very much. I had a couple of missed single pins, but I was spooked by stepping on my shoelace on the missed 3 pin, which I couldn't stop the shot for because I was committed to it.

Result: 183-193-177=553
Average (36 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 186
Next week's AVG+1 score: 559

Composite average (72 games): 177

On Brian's last night with us, team won the first two and lost the third by enough to lose total. The good news is that Si will be returning to my team next week.
Posted by: Doogie

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 11/30/17 10:58 AM

League last night was a challenge. 535 series don't exactly remember the games but 146-220ish-186 I think. Lots of splits. 5 in game one and another 4 for the rest of the night. Seemed like I would pay the max price for shots that were just a bit off.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/01/17 11:25 PM

Disappointing night, thought I threw the ball well for the most part but the carry wasn't there and on top of that was having some thumb issues as we went. 215, 223, 209 for 647. Not terrible but not nearly good enough when the opposing team is shooting telephone numbers. Too many strings of strikes being interrupted by bad carry and also had a few splits as well when I just couldn't consistently keep my speed up. So instead of a 6 pin it would be a 6,7,10.

Yesterday had to prebowl for Sunday again due to another tournament I'll be bowling. Couldn't carry there either and went 205, 213, 204 for a measly 622. I almost never do well prebowling. I even had someone pace with me and we bowled TV style but it didn't matter. Hit the pocket but can't string strikes. I don't think I'll have too many more instances where I'll need to prebowl in the 2nd half but definitely planning on dropping this league next season and bowling on another weeknight now that my work schedule allows me to bowl on any night.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/02/17 08:00 AM

Last night was a very interesting night of league. Two of our teammates were missing, one of my teammates went to the same high school that I did and he and his wife (also on our team) were watching the HS football team win their first state championship in their 99 years of having a football team.

I started with the Turbo, but it was already hooking way more than it was last Sunday morning. By the time I got to the first frame, I'm using urethane on the same line that I'd been using my Vintage Danger Zone on fresh lanes earlier in the season (and on last Sunday morning when I had trouble getting the DZ to hook on that same line). The right lane was hooking more and it caught my by surprise with an early split on a high hit. I left two 7 pins on light hits on the left lane and I decided to put away the Turbo and took out my Super Natural. The right lane still hooked too much but I left an easy spare this time. Moved in more on the right lane, got lined up and salvaged a 197. Shot 226, 247 the last two games, both clean with mostly 9 counts and strikes to end with a 670. Looks like I'm using urethane until it changes again. We also won all 7 games down two bowlers which was great.

One of my league officers towards the end of the night told me that these lanes were fresh. He watched them be oiled and no one bowled on our lanes. The high school teams bowled in another part of the center where a money league bowls. They tend to listen to them when they complain about the shot, so I suspect that they're putting out a heavier volume shot for those lanes. I think they're making up for using more oil for them by putting out a lower volume shot for our league.

Now for the fun part of the night. We had a brief captain's meeting, the center booked a large party right after our league and wanted us done by 9:45. That was understandable, however when they informed the league officers they also complained about the amount of time we are taking to bowl and apparently weren't very cordial about it. One of the officers brought up lost time due to chronic pinsetter and ball return problems that get patched with band-aids, and they said that the pinchaser on our night isn't working quick enough and that they should fire him. The pinchaser is the son of the boyfriend of our league secretary, and that made her very angry. Our league spends a lot of money at the bar and snack bar (which has also been very slow this season and could be blamed for delays). There's a good chance that next week everyone in our league will boycott the bar and snack bar. I can understand about them bringing up the time issues with us, but to put all the blame on our league without our input of what also causes delays is insulting.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/03/17 09:14 PM

I approached some personal history tonight, as this was my high series since my last 700 series, my 706 on June 12, 2013. A slow start really kept this from being better, but I was clean after the 4th frame of the second game, stringing together six strikes in the second game and five in the third. I was in the pocket most of the night, only having to shoot two multi-pin spares (a split and a 6-10).

Result: 192-246-238=676
Average (39 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 187
Next week's AVG+1 score: 562

Composite average (75 games): 179

Team mostly rode my back, losing only the second game when Peter had a clunker.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/05/17 12:45 PM

We started the evening in eighth, and were going up against the #1 or #2 average bowler in the league. REALLY nice guy, and I was really hoping that we would push each other. Little did I know. . .

Also - no sweet wife with me. She had to pick up the boy from rehearsal downtown so it was a sub . . . nice guy, fun guy. Just nowhere near as sexy as my wife! wink

Quick summary - I threw THREE errant shots. That's it.

First game - 279. I used my IQ Tour Pearl. Lanes were dry and the polish on that ball just evened things out for me. Front 5, rushed my 6th frame so it crossed over and left the 5. Easy pickup. I knew what I did, corrected and went sheet from there.

Second game, struck first, left a 7 on a good shot, left a ringing 10 (missed it), then left a 6 . . . moved a half board right and went sheet except for the 9th frame where I left a really weak 10 (picked it up) for a 227. REALLY happy with this game. Strangely, was even happier than game 1. smile I had to WORK some. . .

Third game - struck first three. Fourth frame had low ball speed and left the 3-6-10. I've been struggling with this spare for a few months, but relaxed and picked it up. Struck 5-9 and left a stone 9 in the 10, picked it up and struck to fill for a 256.

New high scratch series - 762. With 15 pins handicap, I tie the league season high at 807.

[img]https://goo.gl/DKumie[/img]

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/06/17 11:01 PM

If I didn't already have a 646 earlier in the season, this would have been my high series of the season in this league. I really feel I've been rolling it better than ever, and I really haven't been missing single pin spares (there was one tonight, a 4 pin), as I've been near 80%, maybe over, in this run. That has helped me throw first ball with confidence.

Result: 255-204-184=643
Average (39 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 195
Next week's AVG+1 score: 582

Composite average (78 games): 180

Ralph's 202 helped us crush the first game (we won by 186 pins), but we needed to win another game to be sure of three points, and that came in the third game, thanks to Tom's 230.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/07/17 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Richie V
and I really haven't been missing single pin spares (there was one tonight, a 4 pin), as I've been near 80%, maybe over, in this run. That has helped me throw first ball with confidence.

Great series and that definitely helps with the confidence. I find I'm the opposite, my spare shooting on single pins fees on how well I'm lined up on my first ball. For example, if I'm lined up and hitting the pocket consistently leaving the occasional 10 pin isn't a big deal and I'll have no problem shooting it. However, if I'm having trouble getting lined up and I leave a 10 pin on a shot that got to the pocket I've noticed recently that I feel a sense of dread about shooting the spare and I'm more likely to miss it. The game is definitely 90% mental (at least).

Mark.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/07/17 12:08 PM

Great bowling Richie keep it up! And very nice series mmalsed

Bowled Tuesday and it was very meh. Had 6 strikes in each of my first two games. Game one I managed a 167 with those 6 strikes. 4 splits, gross. Game two I scraped out a 196 with another couple splits. Never went through the head pin, they were all light leaves. I only had 1 spare in the first two games. Just weird.

Last game I changed balls and moved outside, worked out and I hit a 236 for a 599 series. We took 6 of 8 points. First place team this trimester is currently 24-0 after 3 weeks...bleh...

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/08/17 05:38 PM

I have had a very rough start to the season, and until this week, had no sets over 600...
Wednesday, I was subbing in a place I do not bowl in a whole lot and I had a real shot at 700, but for a few stubborn 10 pins. SO I could have had my high for the year and STILL not had a 6. LoL
I went 28 clean before whiffing a 10 in the 9th and the 11th. The very next day I went 28 clean again (including picking the 6-7-10) before blowing a couple easies...two 6s consecutively after NONE all year. Crazy year.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/08/17 10:58 PM

My decision to switch to urethane appears to be successful. I started with my Turbo but the lanes had a little more oil than the week before. I made an adjustment right and shot in the 260's the first game. 2nd game I missed a 10 pin early and didn't string strikes until the 5th frame but I still shot in the 240's. The last game I had the front 8 and I pulled the 9th shot a little to leave a 7 pin. I finished that game in the 260's for a 783. Sort of wish I had the front 10 the last game for the 800. The team took 5 out of 7 in a position week against 1st place, we're only 1 point behind them now.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/09/17 05:38 AM

VERY NICE, MARK!!!

Only 6 short of your highest.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/09/17 11:03 PM

Thanks Dennis. It seems like every time I get close to 800, around 1/2 of the time I don't even end up shooting my high series. I left a solid 10 in the 1st ball of the 10th frame on 8 in a row. I missed a 10 pin the 2nd frame of the 2nd game. If I had either of those go different, I would have had a more solid chance the 3rd game.

The funny part is that I was the only one on the pair who carried well using a 25-30 year old urethane ball.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/10/17 10:04 AM

That does it. Where is my Urethane?? Got a Blue Rhino, plugged, drilled and refinished. But, haven't used it in league yet.

It's coming out today at practice.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/10/17 11:41 AM

Nice bowling Mark.

No Urethane for me yet other than spare ball!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/10/17 06:44 PM

Well, bowled with the Urethane, 2 games. Both were clean games, even 2 ten pins. But, few doubles. Just makable, easy spares. Almost had a Dutch 200 in each game. One for 8 frames and the other for 7. So, 2 190 games. Each time, I ruined the dutch with a double. Hmm, I may have had 2 no-tap 300's. Would have been close.

Third game, I loosened the line and gave the ball more room off the dry. Light hit spits and buckets. So, keep it tight.

Jury is still out. But, it worked on this pair. Sunday morning dryness.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/10/17 08:01 PM

I find that when I can carry with urethane, I also stay out of trouble. I've left one split in my last 6 games and it was due to misreading the lanes in the 2nd frame of the first game the week before last. I was leaving a lot of splits and fighting a nasty over/under reaction with resin after the pattern changed. The last time I switched to urethane I made the switch for the same reasons. It is so odd to me because I was bowling very well this season with my vintage Danger Zone up until the change.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/10/17 09:29 PM

Pretty much regressed to the mean tonight, and, as usual, my spare game didn't really help, with three missed single pins, two 10s and a 7, and ending the night with three open frames (two splits).

Result: 166-179-152=497
Average (42 games): 178
Average for last 9 games: 190
Next week's AVG+1 score: 560

Composite average (81 games): 180

Team lost all eight points, with Peter bowling our only deuce game (212) in the third game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/13/17 11:07 PM

Halfway through the first game, it looked like it would be a disaster, but I managed to take it off the sheet from the 6th frame for my 211, which was enough for an over-average night after a couple of small under-average games. There were a couple of single-pin misses, but I was back to over 80% on those for the night.

Result: 211-176-177=564
Average (42 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 195
Next week's AVG+1 score: 567

Composite average (84 games): 180

We had the "one hot opponent" problem tonight, as, if said hot opponent just bowled average, we would have won all four, but lost all four instead.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/14/17 12:36 AM

Alright Richie, good bounce back from the other night.

I've been in a slump ever since I shot the 803 a few weeks back. Was hoping to recover on Friday and started with 257, then a decent 226 game, but ran into issues in the 3rd game and only shot 191 for another below average night. Then Saturday I ended up bowling in the New England Classic. Other than the 1 game in teams where I shot 268 it was a disaster. By the time we got to doubles/singles my fingers were swelling up and I had trouble just getting them in the ball and did not break 500 either set.

Was hoping to recover Sunday but was a little sore from the day before and just couldn't get my speed where I wanted. Got punished badly for misses and had a lot of splits. Shot 184, 190, 201.

Subbed tonight and was hoping to get out of this rut, had 180, 239, 235 for 653. First game I started with back-to-back opens (split followed by washout) but recovered with a 4 bagger, just happened to get it too wide in the 7th and had another washout for another open. Games 2 & 3 I was a lot more consistent and was clean the rest of the night and hit the pocket every time, only leaving 7 pins. More than I would have liked to see but I'll take it.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/14/17 08:48 AM

Bowled monday in position round. We were 7 ahead, in 3rd and bowled the 4th team.

We had to wait, since there was a HS girls tournament still bowling. And when they finished, the lanes had to be oiled. So, our 7 start was delayed to 8:30. And, with 5 man teams, it took a while for us to finish. got home at 1 am.

Had 200 in first and 200 in second with an open 10th in each. Then I got real tired, as I was up since 3 am.

barely finished with a 16X.

And, we took 17 of the 33 points. So, a 17/16 night was like kissing my sister.
We won game 2 real big for 5 points and that carried us for series for 3 points. H2H matches made up the difference at a point each.

It was fun watching their anchor roll 787. He needed a double in the 10th on a set up 9th strike, for 800. Got a spare

Tell Nord he uses a Urethane ball.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/15/17 11:16 PM

Urethane is just a crutch that ruins the shot! Sorry, had to do it, lol.

167+225+258=650 for me tonight. Absolute garbage first game, just couldn't carry and got punished on two shots where I pulled the ball. 2nd game had an early open on another pulled shot, but recovered to salvage the 650 series with a big 3rd game especially. Wasn't getting behind the ball due to my arm being somewhat sore, thought I could get away with holding it a little off to the side but that didn't work out to well, so I reverted about midway through the 2nd game and got much better results, fortunately wasn't too strenuous on my arm either.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/16/17 06:05 AM

urethane is not a crutch, it's an option. solid balls soak up much more oil then a pearl. Storm balls soak up more then a Lane master ball. To each his own.

Bowl on the right side and learn how to adjust to others there too.

It's a lot easier on the left side.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/17/17 09:39 PM

After a tournament day that didn't go according to plan, I was eager to take my frustration out on the pins, and did it to the tune of my second high series of the season, the high of which also came in this league. I didn't get off to a good start in the third game, or this might have been better, and you can also point to my single-pin misses as another reason.

Result: 215-243-194=652
Average (45 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 202
Next week's AVG+1 score: 589

Composite average (87 games): 181

I carried my team the first two games, and Peter and Ed shot 246 and 200 respectively to help us take the third game by over 100 pins. It was the end of the first half, so we'll see where we finished.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/17/17 10:38 PM

Great way to end the first half Richie! Glad to see you get back into tournament action though. Keep working at it, you're improving.

Had a doubleheader today myself, tournament followed by league. Started right out of the gate in game 1 with the front 10, then came in just a tad light and left a 10 pin that wiggled but would not go down in the 11th. Shot 289. Struggled to carry on the next pair but caught a double and shot a clean 205, then finished with 279 and 258 for 1031 to be the top qualifier. Shot 244 in the finals but lost to my opponent's 258. Failed to carry the first one in the 10th and that proved to be costly. That's the way it goes; head-to-head can be kind of a crapshoot being just one game. But either way I was hoping to use that momentum going into league but had to go back to my home center and go from AMF to Brunswick synthetics and a slightly different shot. Struggled with carry in game 1 and and opened in the 10th to start with 190, but got back into my groove and went 278 and 243 to shoot 711 and get my average back to 220 to wrap up the half.

Also Dennis, my comment was in jest. I was alluding to Phil Cardinale's comments (or the interpretation thereof) regarding urethane. Thought it had made the rounds in the online bowling world but perhaps not. No worries, I'll post about in the urethane thread and see what people have to say on the subject cause I think it was an interesting take.

FWIW the technology I use to help me could easily be called a crutch by others. Wrist devices are a crutch! Weight holes are a crutch! Asymmetric cores are a crutch. Mass bias is for wimps and wussies! rotfl

But to your last point I agree with having an advantage on the left side when the lanes start out good. Left side was great today in the tourney I bowled (and in that house in general) and 4 of the 8 finalists were left handed. Last weekend in Vermont neither me or my lefty partner (who has a lot more revs than I do) could do much of anything in singles or doubles on what they told us was Bourbon Street. So it's all relative, but I do understand that we live in a house shot world.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/18/17 12:09 PM

wronghander, it had to do with working at a tournament, not bowling in it.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/19/17 04:54 PM

Ugh. After my big night, I sucked last week and then last night did OK (587) but our SUBS lost the games for us. frown Granted, I was under my average, but 211, 148, 228 . . . really we should have taken at least 2. My F-in-law did well for first and third games too, but our two subs just . . . well, a 19+ bowler shot 480-ish . . . bah.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/19/17 06:53 PM

Had a battle last Friday night myself. My Turbo didn't have the pop it had the other week, and I started with a strike, then two straight 10 pins (both I missed, not good). Switched to my Supernatural and left another one that I did make. Switched to the Danger Zone and got lined up right away, but then leaked one right to leave a 2-8-10. Struck out the rest and salvaged a 201. During the 2nd game, I went high twice on the right lane, 4-6-7-10 and 4-6-10. I thought I got slow the first split, so I didn't move after the first one. I moved after the 2nd and salvaged a 211. Last game sent one right, 2-10. I left another 2-8-10 in the middle of that game. By the end, I salvaged a 202 for a 614.

I'm going to try the Turbo again on Friday night, I regret not moving a tiny bit right to get it to grab a little earlier for better carry. I missed the pocket 6 times with my Danger Zone and left 5 splits. Not fun.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/20/17 12:59 PM

Didn't bowl last week as I was busy lounging on the beach for my honeymoon.

Got back into it this week and was pretty solid. Threw a 235-225-217 for a nice little 677 series. Had a 4 bagger going into the last frame of game 3 and could have busted another 700 but I opened with a nasty split blah. Oh well.

Lanes were tricky last night, had to make 2 ball changes but luckily my changes worked and I didn't get into any funks.

Our team needs to learn to play defense better. We are second in the league in total pins + handicap but finished the first third in 18th place and are currently sitting at 4th in the second third.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/20/17 01:42 PM

Congrats, Mike!!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/20/17 11:23 PM

Tonight was a weird night overall, as I wasn't great, but I seemed to welcome the fact that we had to move after the first game due to a scorer issue (right lane wasn't picking up second-ball scores consistently). I did well enough after the move to eke out my 500 and keep the damage to my average to a minimum.

Result: 145-177-179=501
Average (45 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 189
Next week's AVG+1 score: 567

Composite average (90 games): 181

Tom had our only 200 game in the second game, which we won, losing the other two and total. Second place won three points, so they moved into the lead, with my team in second, a point behind.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/22/17 12:56 AM

Subbed in a scratch league tonight in a tougher house. Only shot 606 my last time here so was hoping to redeem myself. Didn't start well when I threw my first shot in the channel. Just lost it off my hand. Got 9 on the second ball but that ended up being my only open of the night. Shot 217, 225, 225 for 667. It was good enough to win 3 out of my 4 points and cash in the eliminator. My scores were actually the cut in the first two games, so just barely squeaked by and my 3rd game was good enough for 5th. Not sure how many people got in but I got $20 on a $10 entry and they ended up paying 6 places.

That said I was disappointed with my carry. I had a decent but not great look with my Grudge. Got to the pocket consistently but left a lot of flat 7s. Probably burning too much energy. I think my game has changed since I got that ball; used to need the help in the first 15 feet, now I need it in the last 15 feet. Subbing in this league again next week, got a hybrid ball I'm going to try to use. Also have a Grudge Pearl on the way although will likely not have that in time for next week.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/22/17 08:36 AM

Monday Nite, our 5-man team had fun. 1199 scratch first game. Yes, that's about a 240 average. League high so far. That's 200 pins over our team average.

3370 scratch series. Yes, that's about 675 per man. League high so far.

Of course, we rolled the league highs for handicap also.

Took 30 of 33 points on the night, the first night of the second half. Finished the first half in 3rd out of 20 teams. That gets us about $750 for the team, so far.

At the end of year, the 8 top point winning teams are in a roll off with $3500 to the top team.

If one team wins both halves and the roll off, it's a cool $5500 for the team. Hell of a prize fund. Oh, Miller Lite threw in $1000 of the final $3500.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/23/17 01:46 AM

Good stuff Dennis, nice job by your team. Good prize fund too, the league I subbed in last night has Pepsi as a sponsor contributing $1000 to the prize fund and with 21 teams there's a lot of money in there. None of the leagues I've bowled in as a regular member have been sponsored though.

Was hoping to build on my series in that league tonight and got off to a good start with the front 6 but then came in light and left a 3,6,9 and couldn't get the 9 out on the spare attempt. Finished with 244 in game 1, and in game 2 it was just a disaster. Had some traffic on the left side and was throwing my Grudge which worked out well for me in the first game but started to react unpredictably so went to a symmetrical (Arson High Flare Solid) and threw a late triple and should have been in the 190s but bucket on the last ball = 188.

Last game started with the first 5 in a row but didn't get the hold I needed on shot 6 and came in high and left a split. Open again. Finished that game with a 233 and shot 665. So around the same series as last night but instead of taking 3 points tonight I only took 1.

First half is over now in both leagues and I'm definitely bowling a lot better than I did at this point last year, but lost some pins in average this month in both leagues after a hot start. But I've been getting some soreness in my arm and I've been bowling way too much this month with not enough rest. Bowling Friday and Sunday league has been a tough for me this month especially because I've had tournaments the last 3 weekends so it ends up being a lot of bowling. So going to enjoy the holiday break and looking forward to not even picking up a bowling ball until next Thursday.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/23/17 07:46 AM

Awesome team night, Dennis. It always feels good when a team is firing on all cylinders. Wronghander, my teammate had the same series last night.

My brief urethane experiment is likely over for now. After reactions and lack of carry with both urethane balls that I didn't 100% like, I switched to my Critical Mass which I hadn't used much at all this season. I liked the reaction right away, and finished with a clean 217. I shot a clean 246 the second game. In he last game, I left a 3-4-6-10 on the first ball for my only open of the night (I should have moved before this shot.) I then struck the next 5, only to leave a 7 pin, a 10 pin, and then another 7 pin the next three frames, all of which I made. I struck out the 10th for a 236 and a 699 series. Our team took all 7 and might have moved to 1st place.

We don't bowl next week, our center isn't having any evening/night leagues all next week. They think that they will get more open bowling revenue. I'm not so sure they are right about that, it wasn't very busy with open bowlers last night.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/26/17 08:59 AM

Saturday night I had 650 (only my 3rd 600+ set this season)
and left the 10 pin TEN TIMES. I covered all the ones I had to shoot at, but that is very frustrating.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/26/17 09:32 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to bring up an issue with me.

Ev week, I pay $25 for league. Times 3. So, I have looked for the leagues that pay off the most. I found 2 houses near me that charge less then $10 for lineage per nite. That leaves more in the prize fund for me to win.

Now, I can't see why some bowlers will stay at the lanes that charge more lineage, when, other options are available.

My old house is 3 miles from my home. Another lane is 9 miles North, and a third is 9 miles to the South. So, none really inconvenient. But, the other 2 payout so much more at year's end.

It's a "no brainer" for me.

Can't the first house see they are pushing bowlers out?

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/27/17 11:00 PM

My physical game has been known to go in the tank when the holidays roll around, and I'm fearing that that's the case now, as I've been under average each of the last two weeks in this league. An otherwise dreadful spare game was salved with two "baby" split conversions, and I never had more than a double all night.

Result: 157-179-161=497
Average (48 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 565

Composite average (93 games): 180

Ralph had the best night of us (521), and we failed to win points on a night when first place only took one point.
Posted by: Fin09

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/29/17 12:34 AM

I did something last Wednesday night that I hadn't done before. I shot 245-257-300-802 with a ball change early in the 2nd game. All of my prior honor scores were shot with the same ball I started with. I left a pair of 7 pins early in the 2nd game with my Rocket Ship, so I switched to my Phaze 2 and threw 20 of the last 22. I haven't gotten much use out of the Phaze 2, so I was glad I could throw it. The 2000 grit finish just burns up too quickly for me on league conditions, so I shined it up with Storm Step 2, and it does a lot more of what I want. I tend to gravitate towards a finish they call "sheen". Polished with a light scuff from a 3000 or 4000 pad.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/29/17 01:42 PM

Very nice, Fin! smile

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/30/17 01:34 AM

Congrats Fin.

Rough night for me: 181, 168, and 234 for 583. I had wanted to throw the Grudge Pearl that I just got but had trouble getting my fingers in the holes. I thought having them installed with Vacu-Grip was going to help me with this issue but I guess not. Had to go to my Arson High Flare which really wasn't enough ball for the lanes until there was some break down in the 3rd game. Wish I had some of my other stuff with me but really too much of a pain to bring more than 1 bag especially with the single digit temperatures we're going through since I can't leave anything in the car.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 12/30/17 08:32 AM

Nice going Fin.
Posted by: Dylan585

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/03/18 11:58 AM

I could not lined up last night for the life of me but manage to win my first game by a pin and my second game by a pin... Finally I switched to my spare ball (Arctic Sniper) and could either be the shim daddy or get it out and it would hit like a truck... Shot 269 with a 9 pin in the 2nd frame and a 4 pin in the 3rd... I'm seriously considering just taking my spare ball next week... In the last two weeks ive thrown 2 games with it and one was a 250 something and a 269...

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/03/18 10:55 PM

Respectable night tonight, though with a bit of a letdown in the third game, in which I had my only single-pin misses. Second game was clean, and I think everyone knows I'll take any clean game.

Result: 176-214-183=573
Average (51 games): 181
Next week's AVG+1 score: 589

Composite average (96 games): 181

Team won all four, but we needed the first place match to split 2-2 to force a one-game roll-off for the half, and Dawg Pound won all four, meaning we ended the half in second place.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/06/18 07:19 PM

Awesome series Fin!

Man I had a weird hiatus. No league two weeks ago, missed last week cause I was traveling. Didn't bowl for like 20 days straight.

My league is Tuesday but I subbed in a Friday league last night to shake the cobwebs off. Lucky I did, I bowled like doo doo.

Had a 550 series with only my middle game of 217 worth noting. Dunno what I was doing but I just could not get my balls to react. I ended up throwing my Mastermind, which I almost never take out of the bag on a house shot, straight up the 7-9 board and still barely could get it back. No way it was the lanes, something is up with my release. Got some work to do!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/06/18 11:34 PM

I've had release trouble the past 3 outings. And, I don't know why.

I see it when the ball doesn't finish. And, that's too late. I replay my shot in my head. Trying to remember where my hand was and when. I think I know. After a few rolls, it happens again.

I have developed a habit of opening my hand at the release. That causes the ball to come off thumb and fingers together. Fingers are not behind and under the ball. And, I also notice my arm is down at a 45 degree angle, like I'm rolling the ball into the floor.

I don't know where this came from. But, I better fix it quickly.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/07/18 08:59 AM

We returned to league Friday night after our center's decision to have no leagues. I was bowling on the same pair where I shot both of my 300's this season. I used my Danger Zone in practice and it worked great. However, I sailed my first shot right and left a split to start. After that, I left a solid 10 and nearly left a pocket 7-10 the next shot. I made both spares and switched to my Critical Mass. I finished that game with strikes and 9 counts spares for a 215.

In the second game, I had the front 8 and left a 7 pin in the 9th frame. I struck all 3 shots in the 10th for a 279. My other 300's on that pair were the 1st and 3rd games. I had jokingly told my wife before league that if I managed to shoot a 300 the 2nd game that I had a 900 on that pair spread over 3 different weeks. I wore a shirt from the same band that I wore the other weeks that I shot 300 on that pair. It almost worked.

Right at the beginning of the 3rd game, my line was burnt and when I tried to move a little left with the Critical Mass, it wasn't able to get back to carry. I threw 1-2 shots too many with it and eventually switched to my Super Natural to stay more direct. I finished that game with a 225 for a 719, my only open was the split in the 1st frame of the 1st game. Our team took 5 out of 7 and stayed in 1st place.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/07/18 09:22 PM

I didn't quite start the second half of this league the way I ended the first half, but, where I was still over 600, I'll take it. The first game was either nine or strike, and there were just too many nine-drops. Carry was better in the other two games, with a five-bagger in each.

Result: 173-210-235=618
Average (48 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 196
Next week's AVG+1 score: 568

Composite average (99 games): 181

A bad game by Peter cost us the first game, but we won the other two and total.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/10/18 03:32 PM

Another very rough night of bowling for me last night.

I thought it was going to be a pretty good night starting off. I threw a beautiful strike to open things up. Proceeded to push one through the nose on my second frame and left the greek church, which I converted!! And....everything was downhill from there. Ended up with 4 splits in the first game (2 pocket 8-10's and one more greek church, actually, on which I knocked out the 6-7-9-10).

My second game was nice, I threw 8 strikes. All of my misses were wrapped 10 pins off fine enough pocket shots, which I converted.

When it was said and done, though, I sandwiched a 23x between two 17x's for a high 500 series. Luckily for my conscious we lost all of the games by 100+ pins so I couldn't have done much anyway. As usual, our defense sucks and our opponent (5 person handicap league) tossed a 3800 series. Guess we bring out the best in people.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/10/18 10:52 PM

Tonight was my comeuppance, as I was largely a victim of bad pin carry, and compounded it by missing more single-pin spares than I made. The 166 first game had my only double of the night.

Result: 166-139-140=445
Average (54 games): 179
Next week's AVG+1 score: 576

Composite average (102 games): 180

The team got bad news in the loss of Ralph for the rest of the season due to an accident shoveling snow (injured knee). As poorly as we bowled tonight, we still managed to take three of four (first & third games & total by one pin).

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/12/18 01:09 PM

Bowled Monday night. First two games were pretty good and we won (even though we handed the other team 237 pins handicap. . . shocked ) but the third game I felt my energy level drop through the floor. When I got home I felt like my lungs were filling up and spilling out through my face - yep, I got the flu.

Still ended with a 623.

First game, front 3, picked up the 10, two more, picked up the 4-7, then the 2-8, next two and left a 2-10 in the fill and just grabbed the easy 2 - 232. All through the game I was watching the totals thinking, no way . . . no way . . . well maybe? . . . maybe? . . . we have a slight chance . . . more than slight . . . holy crap, we might get this . . . YES, we GOT it! smile Won by 35.

Second game was clean until the foundation where I left a pocket 7-10. Bah. Stone 9 and strike for the 10th - 203. This time we won by 50. My 84yo F-in-law rolled a 202 (35 pins over his average)

Third game - first ball went 1-2-6-10 and I figured my reaction had gone so best to jump ahead and switched to the IQTP. Much better but everything felt like WORK. I was wading through goo. Still - couple of strikes, picked up a 10, 4-7-10 when I let the ball speed drop, 7-pin, next three, then saw that we needed a mark in the 10th to take the third game . . . and I left my dreaded 3-6-10. I HATE this thing. I need to go out and play just THAT spare over and over and over. I left the 10 and we lost by 6 pins - 188.

I went home and fell over. Fever hit me a few hours later.

Oh well. I survived. smile

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/14/18 08:08 AM

Our odd weather in the northeast made Friday night interesting. Low 60's, rain, humidity, and a completely packed 32 lane center with two leagues and a large group event were a bad combination. I can understand that they didn't want to turn on the air conditioning in January, however it felt pretty awful. The wood approaches were slightly tacky and every once in a while I had a shot hang a little on my thumb (as did many others).

I did fight through it well the first two games, I had the front 9 the 1st game and went high the 1st ball of the 10th to shoot a 278. The 2nd game, I had two shots that didn't come off clean and I sailed them right for 6 counts. I made both of them, but lost a lot of count and finished with a 241. The last game the uncomfortable environment started to get to me, I missed the transition, and muddled through the first 6 frames of the last game no strikes and one open on a washout. I finally switched to my Super Natural and struck the next 5 shots to finish with a 218 and a 737 series. I was happy to come through and throw the first two strikes in the 10th after the early struggles since it helped our team win the last game and take all 7 points to stay in 1st place.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/14/18 09:57 PM

I almost recovered from my second game to save average, but I came up a couple of pins short. I'll use the rest of the space here to explain my usual problem with the 10 pin, as I missed a few more of them tonight: I'm throwing my plastic ball at it, and it's usually on line, but it hooks on the back end; keep in mind that that plastic ball is not supposed to hook at all.

Result: 182-155-207=544
Average (51 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 201
Next week's AVG+1 score: 573

Composite average (105 games): 180

Peter had a nice bounce-back night (662), and the only points we lost were the second game's, in which we only lost by 11 pins.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/14/18 11:28 PM

Going through a bit of a slump. I feel like I'm bowling well, just not carrying well or getting the breaks. Last week shot 611 on Friday and 596 on Sunday. Made it a point to practice this week and worked on a few things and was hoping to turn it around on Friday.

Didn't happen. In fact our whole team collectively struggled and everyone was under average. We managed to somehow get swept in a 30 point head-to-head league. I shot 197, 186, 224 for 607 which actually was the high series on the team. That's how bad it was. First game I was on 5 strikes going into the 10th after a slow start and I went big 4 in the 10th and couldn't even break 200. I didn't even think it was that bad of a shot. Last game I started with the front 5 and then had a chance to strike out in the 10th for 259. BURIED the pocket and left a blower 10 pin. I was [censored] which didn't help my concentration on the spare which I ended up missing.

Tonight went 197, 210, 244 for 652. All 3 games I went 7-pin, spare, 7-pin in the 10th and 11th. Felt like I threw a good enough shot on each, even the ones that were flat the 4 was moving around a bit before laying in the gutter. Just needed a tad bit more to get it to come off the wall and take out the 7. Last game I actually started with the front 6 before a bucket in the 7th. Better series but still bowling under average so the struggle continues.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/17/18 10:47 PM

While I was over my average for the night, I left a lot of single pins out there, where, as is unusual, my left side, particularly the 4 and 7, was the bedeviling side. The bright side to my spare game, however, was that I did make an adjustment on the 7 at a time I couldn't avoid leaving the pin, and made three straight.

Result: 193-179-188=560
Average (57 games): 179
Next week's AVG+1 score: 556

Composite average (108 games): 181

Opponents won all four, with their anchor almost putting up a 700.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/18/18 09:54 AM

Dang, another really rough night of bowling.

Ended with a 570 series or so, 75 pins below average again.

Just could not get 10 pins to fall. My first and second game I was all over the pocket. Left a pocket 7-10 and a pocket 7-9 in the first game. Plus a lot of wrapped 10's. Second game I avoided the splits but still couldn't carry. Mostly single pin spares. Third game I got fed up with hitting the pocket for no results so made a big ball change. Bad idea. Ended up with 5 splits in the 3rd game (these actually were bad shots :-P)

End of the night, though, I struck out the 9th/10th to help us win another game and total (by 7 pins). So there's something to build on.

Got 5 inches of snow yesterday. I don't know how to deal with that so I'm in hiding.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/21/18 09:02 PM

I really wasn't feeling my best all weekend, and it showed in my bowling tonight. I missed spares in all three games, but minimized the misses in the third game to save my 500.

Result: 169-161-172=502
Average (54 games): 181
Next week's AVG+1 score: 563

Composite average (111 games): 180

Opponents had a new bowler averaging in tonight, but we did determine that we only won the first game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/23/18 11:40 AM

First time back in a couple of weeks after the flu - still not anywhere near 100%. Just SOOO short of breath . . .

Whole evening felt like I was struggling. Then I looked at the end and . . . 646 with us taking 3 points. Heh.

First game - 226. Man I have issues with the 3-6-10 or any combination. Left the 3-6 and chopped the 3. Sigh. Well, ran the last 7 strikes so . . .

Second game started well. Clean through 7, but then left the 3-10 and chopped the 3 off it and then left the 3-6-10 in the 10th and, you guessed it, chopped the 3. 201.

Third game - guess what I left in the 5th? Yep - 3-6-10 and this time I LEFT the 3. Sheesh. I did pick up the 3-6-10 in the 4th so I guess there's that. Anyway - 219. Just felt like WORK. We won the third game by 13.

Couldn't wait to bowl - now I can't wait to bowl without being exhausted.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/24/18 02:23 PM

Well maybe a had a slump buster last night! Got my ball speed down a bit and my release felt much more comfortable and consistent because of it.

Not unlike mmalsed, I felt like I was struggling to score the whole night but ended up with a nice 647. Tossed a 198 the first game after some dumb opens. I whiffed a very makeable 3-7 split in frame 2, and on the same lane next go around I left a solo 3 and whiffed it again. Also missed a 10 pin in the 8th. Spare shooting is in a funk.

Game two was a nice 235 (whiffed a 10 pin in this game, ugh!), and I wrapped the night up with a 214. Started struggling with carry in the 3rd game or it definitely could have been higher. The second game was extra fun because a guy trying to sandbag accidentally ruined the game for his team. I'm making a thread to elaborate on this.

Split our points for the night. Not a monster series but finally something respectable again, maybe I found it.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/24/18 05:30 PM

Last Friday ended up being one of those nights where I realized what I should have tried afterwards. After practice, my shot I had used the last few weeks was totally burnt. I moved in after opening with a 3-6-9-10 the first frame and finished strong for a 257. The second game, I started to fight a jumpy reaction and had an open on an easy spare to finish with a low 200. The last game, I still had the same problems even after balling down and ended up in the 190's for a 651. Still a good series, unfortunately, our team lost 5 of 7. I wish I had switched to stronger equipment and moved inside to play further away from the burn.

On a more fun topic, in the first game the anchor on the other team shot his 2nd 300 ever against us and first since the early 2000's. Right before I left, I watched another bowler in the league bowl his first 300.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/24/18 10:18 PM

My second game definitely was the highlight of the night. I had the front 7, then left the 2-4-8-10, and, after everyone was done acknowledging the run of strikes, I proceeded to convert the split to give everyone something else to smile about. It did figure that I missed an easy 4-7 after that, but I still finished a 242 out.

Result: 180-242-172=594
Average (60 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 177
Next week's AVG+1 score: 565

Composite average (114 games): 181

We won the last two games and total rather easily after losing the first game. Everyone contributed tonight, with both Kathy and Si bowling three games all over their averages, and Tom finished with a 560 after an under-average first game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/27/18 08:10 AM

Well, my idea from last week to move in to avoid the burn didn't pan out like I wanted to. In the first game, I was lined up nicely with my Critical Mass and shot a 228 with strikes and 9 counts only due to bad carry (my 3 non-strikes on the right lane were a 7 pin, 9 pin, and a 10 pin in that game.) Around the end of the 2nd game, when they started to jump high on me, I tried to move in and watched two shots burn up and leave splits due to missing a little right with both of my reactive balls. That ended as a 203 I thought I had found something when I got lined up inside with my Vintage Danger Zone, however I ran into another split and a jumpy reaction. Then, I switched to play more direct with my Super Natural the last 4 frames to save a 205 for a 636 series.

If I can get it to carry in practice, I'm going to try either of my urethane balls out of the gate next week. It seems like this season, when my resin equipment is going over/under my urethane stuff carries and reacts better. When I can move in with resin and not have an over/under, my urethane equipment can't carry. It also seems like it changes every few weeks, so I'm guessing it is climate related.

Our team won the 1st, but lost the last 2 dropping us to 3rd for a position round next week.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/28/18 09:14 PM

Things were going fine until I lost my carry in the third game and my spare game went with it. I only did enough to just get average.

Result: 185-220-138=543
Average (57 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 176
Next week's AVG+1 score: 566

Composite average (117 games): 181

We had command of total after two games (splitting the games), but then lost the third by enough to lose total by one pin.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/30/18 04:57 PM

We were on the upper portion, which is typically a bit slicker. So I started practice with the Crux and it crushed. But by the time we started the games, I left a 6-7, strike, 3-4-6-7, and a 10-pin (dumped it) . . . all were high, even the strike. Okay - change to the IQ-pearl. Sheet, baby, sheet! 224.

Started second game with 3 strikes, then started going high. Took me a few frames (thought I was throwing slow. . .) and made a small adjustment and was back. 197. Would have been higher, but threw into a 6-7-10 in the fill frame. smirk

Third game was still going high, so moved 5 and 3 (decided to JUMP) and got back into it. Clean game except for the fill which was, again, 6-7-10. Sheesh. 224 again.

We took 3 points. Moving slowly up the ranks - should be about 7th out of 40 with 4 weeks to go. smile

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 01/31/18 10:49 PM

Steady night tonight, with my second game being more or less saved by punching out in the 10th. I did miss a 10 in the second game, but made two others later, with no other single-pin misses.

Result: 201-173-198=572
Average (63 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 191
Next week's AVG+1 score: 602

Composite average (120 games): 181

Team was leading total after two, but lost total in the third game, and it was more a case of opponents getting hot, as Si had a 174 in that game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/04/18 01:54 PM

I went in on Friday night with my plan to try only urethane after how I finished last week. Much to my surprise, the freshly oiled lanes were were on were much drier than expected. I had tried my Turbo to start, but it was picking up too early causing it too hook too much or not get back strong. I put it away after a early pocket 7-10. My Super Natural looked great on the left lane, which was hooking more. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up how my ball wasn't picking up as well on the right and I left a second pocket 7-10 a few frames later. I salvaged a 181 with the 7-10's and another split as the only opens.

I finally moved a touch right on the right lane and it hit flush. I was lined up the rest of the night except for missing a move on the left lane in the third game. Finished 266-233 clean the last two games for a 680. It was a good salvage job. We only won the last game, our team's slide continues.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/06/18 01:39 PM

Monday evening was interesting.

We gave 116 pins to the other team. Which is ok. we've given away FAR more and still took 3 or 4 points so . . . here goes!

First game . . . their two guys averaged 135 and 165. They bowled 205 and 240 respectively. Not much to do against that. Horrible form - the 205 guy just hucked the ball with a suitcase delivery and a sideways windup. The 240 guy was a lefty and chucked the ball, no thumb, down to the arrows with a Teal Rhino Pro. I missed one 10-pin, otherwise was a good mix of strikes and spares, but my IQ just wasn't making it. Lanes were so dry so in the 8th I went UP to my Crux and jumped 5 and 5 left. Strike, 6-10, then all three in the 10th.

I needed more hand to get it to finish, and I had to get more swing in it to get more speed. . . but it would finish with power.

But we lost by 108.

Second game . . . their two guys were down to earth, but one of their ladies bowled 70 pins over. Sheesh! However, my Father-in-law bowled +30, and I hit 219 (one split - 2-7-8, left the 8) and we won by 20.

88 to go. I thought, no way we're going to make that up - we'd have to make up over 200 pins to a team that's just rocking everything.

But they ALL dropped off. While they had bowled huge the first game, and then pretty big second game, they all were LOW third game.

We were kinda even until the 5th, where my wife took off (she finished +25) and my Mother-in-law started to hit (she finished +25) and my Father-in-law and I finished right around our average so with them falling off so bad, all I needed was 8 in the 10th to make up that 88.

There were a few times where I missed on the ball speed and came in on a 2-8 or 3-6-10 (twice) but pretty solid and got 207 and we won by 106, enough to take three.

Felt like we were bowling up hill all night - even though 116 is not THAT much, but when they are on fire, it's hard.

Turns out, they do this. They will be HOT HOT on first game, pretty hot on second game and then when they have destroyed their lines and have no idea how to adjust, they go really flat in the third.

It was also funny - my wife throws backup, and the lefty THOUGHT she was crossing his line (she was, but she has no revs to speak of so should not be impacting his line much at all) and she joked about it and he fixated on it and it totally screwed him up. I joked with him that now he knows how us righties feel. LOL

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/07/18 11:29 AM

Odd (but good?) night for me last night. Refocusing on slowing down my approach and ball speed has really gotten me back into my line recently. Also, after my terrible spare shooting last outing I was really honed in on picking up my easy leaves. Resulted in only one missed spare on the series (a 4-9 split).

First game went well enough. I was around the pocket, just couldn't string strikes. Left the nasty 4-9 split in the 7th frame of this game (was on a slightly high but not bad pocket shot). Only managed a 191 here.

Second game went better, but started having to create too much angle with my IQ Tour Pearl. Left a couple stone 9's, so I dropped down to my 508A. Posted a clean 218 here.

Third game I crushed. 279 with my only 'miss' (I wouldn't call it a miss) coming on a great shot in the 6th that left a 7 pin! Ugh. That's my 3rd 11 strike game this season, 5th ever. Still no 300's.

Definitely happy with the 688 series, form is starting to come back. Hoping I can finish strong the last third and end with a 220+ average.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/07/18 11:04 PM

Another reasonable night, with the last game only getting away from me because of bad ball reaction at the end of it. My 4 pin (two misses) prevented me from being perfect on single pins.

Result: 200-188-168=556
Average (66 games): 181
Next week's AVG+1 score: 592

Composite average (123 games): 181

Si (479) was the only one of us with all three games over average; his 185 combined with Tom's 198 third game helped us win our only point. Opposing anchor bowler shot 763.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/09/18 12:11 PM

Couldn't get to the lanes last night. Snowed too much. Driveway had 10 inches and roads were impassible. Oh well.

On the bright side Another 10+ inches scheduled today.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/09/18 01:41 PM

Couldn't get to the lanes last night. Snowed too much. Driveway had 10 inches and roads were impassible. Oh well.

On the bright side Another 10+ inches scheduled today.

Ouch. Here in the northwest part of NJ, we've had multiple storms over the last week that started as snow and changed into rain. Every storm has been followed up by a quick drop in temperature to freeze everything solid.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/10/18 01:08 AM

Yeah we had one here too on Wednesday, ended up getting only a few inches but it turned to slush and then ice when the temps dropped. Overall though hasn't been too bad of a winter here and we're supposed to have a high of 50 tomorrow, so can't complain.

I've been in sort of a slump recently. I've been bowling well enough to break 600 most of the time but not much more than that. My Friday night average was in danger of dropping below 220 but had a good look a week ago and shot 689 to actually raise it to 221. Tonight got off to a slow start and started with washout/open then ended up shooting at a lot of single pins. Had 1 strike going into the 10th when I figured it out and struck out. 2nd game started with a flat 7 and ended with a flat 7, but threw all strikes in between for a 289 game. Final game ran into some transition issues but kept it clean and finished with the back 5 for a 226 game and 709 series. My teammate noticed a considerable improvement in my release.

I did make a change in the last month as well. I was using a Powrkoil wrist device but it became too cumbersome so I started bowling without it. At first I was getting terrible ball roll and I went from tracking about an inch from my thumbhole to tracking right next to it. Didn't clip it but very close. Ended up getting a Brunswick Power X Glove so I could have a little bit of support and after a few weeks of using it in league and practicing my track is back to where it was before.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/10/18 07:30 AM

It's already above freezing here now. Last night could have gone better, but also could have been worse. Of course, the lanes were much wetter than the week before. My Super Natural was working OK, but in the 1st game I wanted to try something stronger inside. It hit light on what I thought was a good shot for a split. I could have tried to move right with resin, but was unsure since I was sort of lined up with my Super Natural. I muddled through the night for a 617 never feeling comfortable at all with anything I was doing. I'm going to practice tomorrow morning, the lanes are usually like what they were like last night. They hadn't been that oily since very early in the season.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/11/18 09:04 PM

Back-to-back missed 7 pins cost me my high series of the season, but I feel the good swing I had earlier in the season has returned, so I'm hoping for more of the same in the near future.

Result: 180-259-233=672
Average (60 games): 183
Average for last 9 games: 190
Next week's AVG+1 score: 566

Composite average (126 games): 182

Team crushed second and third games after losing the first game by 2 pins. We were expecting Harry to sub for Peter, but Harry was with his son at NEBA at East Providence Lanes, so we had to take Peter's blind score.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/14/18 09:40 AM

Another average night of bowling for me. 209-227-215 for a 651 series.

First game was a bit of a let down, I started with 9/ then strikes through the 6th. I'm thinking about another big score. Proceed to wrap a 10 and whiff it in the 7th, left a pocket 8-10 in the 8th, wrapped another 10 in the 9th (picked this one up, thank goodness), then left a greek church in my fill in the 10th. Made a two board move left to start the second game and stayed there the rest of the night. Didn't have any opens after that.

It's exciting that a nice set like that almost feels ho-hum, haha. I'm definitely liking the way I'm rolling the ball right now.

Another fun occurrence from last night, our 5 person team had only one open frame between all of us in the second game (it was a big 4 split). Kind of neat.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/14/18 10:42 PM

I followed up a great Sunday night with a Wednesday night that was better in some ways, particularly making all eight of my single-pin spares. Every game was over 200 despite a split in each game and two holes in the third game. This also tied my high series of the season in this league.

Result: 233-203-210=646
Average (69 games): 182
Next week's AVG+1 score: 564

Composite average (129 games): 183

I was high on the pair tonight even with a couple of tough bowlers opposing us. Team took first and second games and total fairly comfortably.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/17/18 09:24 AM

Still fighting some issues with being sort of lost in league. I went last Sunday and found what I thought would work well. It worked well the first game, but I was having execution and feel issues all night. In the last two games, the combination of changing lanes and poor execution affected my scores as I don't think I threw more than 2 strikes in a row in the last 2 games. Fortunately, I made all of my makeable spares except for a 3-6-10 I chopped and still scraped out a 629. I want to try some different angles for next week.

On a related note, after my first shot in practice, my Vintage Danger Zone came back with a white ring and I couldn't tell if it was scratches or some sort of residue. I threw a few more and it kept on happening, along with everyone else on our pair. The desk person checked the bars in the return lift and didn't see anything so she called the mechanic. That's when he said that they sprayed the pin decks with an anti-slide agent so pins don't slide off spot and for whatever reason it was leaving more of a residue on our pair than the others. That's when I also realized that the ring was constantly on the same part of my ball and that was the only logical explanation of how that was happening. So, I got a great way to see what axis my ball ends up rolling on when it is in the roll phase. I learned that my Super Natural and Danger Zone flare almost the exact same amount since the rings that represented the roll phase were almost identical to each other on both balls.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/18/18 09:25 PM

I had a sense of how my night was going to go when I missed three straight single-pin spares in the first game, but my second game gave me some hope, even if proven false. Spares on the left side were more of a problem than the right.

Result: 158-221-137=516
Average (63 games): 183
Average for last 9 games: 192
Next week's AVG+1 score: 602

Composite average (132 games): 182

Harry had a chance to win the first game for us, but left a pocket 7-10 in the 10th frame. Harry recovered to post a 702 and team took the other two games and total. Ed had all three games over his average for a 580.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/21/18 01:29 PM

I don't know what it is about practice . . . I started where I left off from last week, which was a struggle. It was still REALLY windy down here in the Inland Empire and, thus, dry. I figured that my approach to getting SOMETHING last week would be needed. Last week I had to sight waaaaay down the lane to get the ball down there. . . This week? Great in practice. . . but not once we started going.

First game - 10-pin, 10-pin, pocket 7-10, 10-pin. Okay, let's swap back to targeting arrows and making adjustments there. 6 in a row, 10-pin in the fill. 235.
Second game - open in the first frame (crap, owe a buck) - 3-6-9-10 - left the 10. soled through 5, then left 2-4-8-10 split when I left it out too wide. Blah. Then strike, 10pin, strike 10pin. 202.

Third game - start with front four. Picked up the 3-4-6-7-10. Left a 10-pin in the 9th and then strike, strike 10. 229.

666 is just fine as a score (just don't tattoo it to my forehead! smile ) and where we lost all four to the 2nd place team last week (by 35 pins TOTAL) we blew out the 4th place team this week. They were NOT happy.

We were. smile

And I'm happy - I've averaged 211 each month since November. SWEET! smile This is my first league where I will have finished with an average over 200. smile Had to work for it, but I should finish at or above 207.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/21/18 03:40 PM

Bowling is stupid!

Terrible night last night.

Thought it was going to be fantastic. 246 in my first game and I was just burying stuff. My first game average is for whatever reason 13 pins lower than my other two games. So, some quick math, and it's clear to see I'm gonna have an upper 700's series, right? That's just science.

Boy was that wrong. My line just disappeared in game two. I'm talking a complete transformation that I could not figure out. Tried three different lines with two different balls each and could not find it. Managed a 160 in game two.

Game three was on pace for another 160, man was I hot. Then all of a sudden after my 7th frame shot went high again, and I was relieved because a tripped 4 pin meant I wasn't looking at another split, a light bulb went off. I realized I needed to up my speed. And this wasn't like a "lemme try this oh it worked!" moment. This was a "son of a ***** how did I not see this earlier?" moment. I knew going into the 8th frame shot I was going to strike. Added just over 1 mph to my ball and sure as schnitzel, took it off the sheet (to barely manage a 19x game, blah).

If I would have seen that adjustment early in the second game I would have coasted to a 700 series with that shot. Ended up with a 601. Blah!! The lanes are a cruel mistress.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/21/18 10:29 PM

One good game, but then I seemed to run out of gas, as I missed a lot of spares and only had one double after the first game. It was unseasonably warm, which might have contributed to my late weakness.

Result: 209-148-125=482
Average (72 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 187
Next week's AVG+1 score: 556

Composite average (135 games): 182

Kathy pre-bowled, but team failed to win points, with Si being the steadiest of the three of us present (all three games over average).

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/22/18 12:19 PM

With 2 weeks to go in the 2nd 3rd, we wrapped up our division (league is divided into 3 separate divisions, each division will roll off to get to a final 4 team rolloff, which will include one wild card team). So we've now won the first 2 thirds, and if we sweep all three, we'll skip the divisional rolloff and move straight to the finals. We're also the overall #1 seed in the league, with more than 20 points more than the 2nd place team.
It looked like one of those nights where the left side was easy and the right side dry. 256-267-269-792. The 3 right handers on my team shot low to mid 6s, and no one on the other team, which is as close to an even matchup to us as there is in this league, shot much of anything either.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/25/18 09:42 PM

There were just not enough good shots tonight, as I had six leaves of the difficult variety, and only put together a turkey and a double in the second game. Except for the last 10 pin, I did make all of my single-pin spares.

Result: 161-199-172=532
Average (66 games): 182
Next week's AVG+1 score: 553

Composite average (138 games): 182

The night looked bleak after two games, but Harry led a third game charge with a 275, giving us the third game by enough for total. Ed also chipped in a couple of deuce games.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 02/28/18 10:45 PM

Lately, I've been finding that my Marvel Peal has been my better ball later in the night, as the hang spot develops down lane. This was kind of a mixed bag night, with my two over-average games only just getting me to my average.

Result: 164-196-183=543
Average (75 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 185

Composite average (141 games): 182

Si has been our steadiest bowler recently, and he was over average in all three games again tonight. Team won three after losing a close first game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/03/18 05:33 AM

for some reason, I found the lanes very snappy on Thurs. I moved down 3 balls hoping to control it. We were on the outside pair and that may have affected it.

anyhow, first game, 18x with 3 split opens
Second game, 18x with 3 split opens
Third game, 16x with 3 split opens.

Picked up every makable spare. But did leave 3 pocket 7-10's and 2 7-9's and I am a righty. 9 splits, for 9 opens. what a night!!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/03/18 01:55 PM

No bowling for me last night, the northwest part of NJ got the snow whammy from the nor'easter with about 8-10 inches of snow at my house. Other parts got more than that. It was sort of disappointing for me, I had shot a strong 729 the week before and was looking forward to keeping it going. We had won 7 last week and my teammate shot a 300 last week, so I was also looking to stay on a roll as a team. I want to go practice tomorrow morning, but shoveling that much heavy wet snow that we got has left me sort of sore. I also have to find out if the center has power after the storm.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/05/18 03:09 PM

Missed bowling last week because of work travel.

Went and bowled Sunday afternoon to sub for another team. I opened with a 180 but had two bad pocket splits so I just shook that game off. Second game I threw a 200 on the nose, but could not strike. Think I had one double, two other strikes (mixers), and the rest spares. I did pick up a 2-10 split that game. Third game my knee flared up and just absolutely destroyed my game. I had to drop my ball speed 2+ mph and could not post up my shots at all, fell off of every shot. Threw a 16x for a bad series.

Bowl again tomorrow, really hope it was just a random knee pain incident and not something lingering.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/07/18 10:47 PM

It didn't appear it was going to be my night, anyway, but I was not myself in the third game, for a reason I may or may not post later. That said, however, I did compose myself enough to throw the double in the last frame to save total for my team.

Result: 147-162-147=456
Average (78 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 164
Next week's AVG+1 score: 568

Composite average (144 games): 181

That game we won by enough for total was the second game. Tom had the best night of the four of us.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/08/18 03:45 PM

Well, the good news is I had no knee pain when I bowled on Tuesday.

The bad news is that was the only good news.

Threw a 129 in the opening game (averaging 215 right now). And that was with 4 strikes. It was just an unbelievable game. We lost the game by 3 pins.

I have no idea how but I managed a 231 in the second game.

Third game I lost it again and finished with a 15x. I probably whiffed 6 single pin spares on the series, at least. Terrible, terrible night. Gonna head out this weekend to get some practice in.
Posted by: champ

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/11/18 06:38 PM

I've been having a really rough season. Scoring is way down across the house and I just can't figure out the mystery. (I'm leading my league with a 194 average/257 game/680 series...what is this, 1960?)

Anyway, since there hasn't been much activity here lately, I thought I would make a post and hopefully inspire some more posts.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/11/18 08:44 PM

Friday night went OK for me. I went 246, 255 for the first two games, but I couldn't keep it up in the third game and struggled for a 186 and a 687 series. I missed a 10 pin that game (my only non-split miss) and left another split later in that game. I had a few shot that got away, and almost all of them left splits. I think I was beat from shoveling twice on Wednesday and then again Thursday morning because of the storm.

For our team, it was an exciting night. My 246 the first game was 3rd best and we shot 1158 scratch that game. We took all 7 and are tied for first. My teammate that shot the 300 the other week shot his first 800 ever after getting very close many times. I hope it is my turn soon.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/14/18 09:39 AM

Wow finally was able to put something together last night. Hopefully it's a slump buster.

We found out the house had changed the oil volume a bit on us when the last third started, which meant I was gonna have the same lousy shot to deal with as I did last week. The oil is just heavy and long, and I was trying to fight it with an aggressive ball on a tight inside line (around 15 board) and just had the smallest margin for error. I also had tried to move way outside and play straight up the 5 but I couldn't get the ball to stay put from that angle, hit the dry too quick. After practice and my first frame (open, whiffed 10 after an ugly flat pocket hit) it appeared that was going to continue.

Luckily, a teammate recommended I switch to my pearl and start inside but shoot for the 5 as my break point. Skid through the oil so it was far enough down lane when it hit the dry and still had all it's energy. Worked like a dream. I had the prettiest, most dependable reaction I've had in a loong time. Missed the pocket on one shot after that the rest of the night. Threw a 236, 221, 231 for a 688 series. Only opens on the night were two whiffed 10 pins, a pocket 7-10 leave (had the front 6 in game 2, this was frame 7, gross), and my one high ball where I left a 3-6-7-10. So I left some pins out there but an encouraging night all around. Hopefully I don't lose it!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/19/18 08:41 PM

My latest bowling, frame-by-frame

I was quite out of sorts on this night, and the other league members noticed. It would turn out that I was in the throes of a health scare, but I'm still amazed I bowled as well as I did, particularly after the first game; there wasn't more than one open frame in those two games, with a double also in both.

Result: 147-191-189=527
Average (69 games): 182
Next week's AVG+1 score: 575

Composite average (147 games): 181

Weirdly, we only won one point, a tie in the first game.

Happy to report that I am feeling better, and hope to return to bowling activity a week from Wednesday night.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/22/18 08:45 AM

Threw a slightly below average 640 on Tuesday. Bowled decent, just missed a few dumb spares. I really need to work on the conversions, I'm leaving 3-4 easy spares a night and it's killing my scores. Only interesting game I had was game 2, where I threw the front 7 then crushed for a stone 9 in the 8th. Almost identical to last week, where a pocket 7-10 broke up my PG.

Team is getting raked across the coals in terms of 'luck of the draw' this year. As a group we bowled pretty decent, everyone (except me) was slightly above average. Lost all 8. The team we played had a 110 average throw a 400+ series, and a 170 average throw a 660 (his second game was a 26x). Tough to beat two bowlers throwing 100+ over average. The 170 average must have been living right, he was striking everything. Light, heavy, brooklyn (I'd venture to say >33% of his strikes crossed over). Probably made 2 spares the whole night. Wish they would fall for me like that ha. Oh well.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/25/18 03:06 PM

In my Saturday singles league I took over running the pot game in November. I though it would be a huge PITA and distraction during sign ups , collecting the score, etc....but, it turns out I have made the adjustment, AND I am a bit of a ham on the PA.

Last night, the guy I was bowling against (he was a sub - natch) had THIRTY-ONE strikes. And he won 3 legs of the pot (1st game 279, last game 299, and total 801).
I really enjoy watching someone bowl well, even if they are bowling against me. He was on fire. He is a 2 handed youngster who throws it with his thumb in (!) Last night he played the pair with a different ball on each lane. Just incredible.

Oh yeah....his middle game he left 3 tens and whiffed 2 of 'em to let me squeak into the pot and the points for that game. So I guess we drew the easy pair...LoL

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/28/18 10:44 PM

I can't wait for this season to end. The previous two weeks I bowled decently (612 and 651) but this week I shot a deflating 572. I stayed after to practice and rattled off 224, 215, 215, 224 and 255 on the same pair of lanes. Ugh.

More practice and excitement building for my annual run of tournaments hopefully will lead to a better summer league where I tend to average ten pins higher than I do in the fall.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 03/28/18 10:58 PM

I definitely felt better out there tonight, particularly in the first game, with my full sister, who'd never seen me as a real bowler, on hand for moral support. I maybe should have been over average tonight, but a bad third game, in which I wasn't making spares, cost me that.

Result: 221-179-135=535
Average (81 games): 180
Next week's AVG+1 score: 576

Composite average (150 games): 181

Kathy made a lineup change in the week I missed, with Tom and Si swapping spots, and the change seemed to help everyone, as I was the only one under average tonight. I do need to make special mention of Tom, who had 289-205-254 for a 748, with the game and series both personal highs.

As for the points, we crushed the first game (1,186 with handicap), but lost the other two by a total of just 34 pins for a 2-2 split. Series was 3,239 with handicap, and I don't remember any of my teams with that high a total for one night.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/01/18 09:09 PM

This was about the same as Wednesday night, but with worse scores. I again lost steam in the third game, with splits adding to a poor spare game, in which I missed the only 10 pins that I missed.

Result: 182-169-126=477
Average (72 games): 181
Next weeks AVG+1 score: 572

Composite average (153 games): 181

Peter was absent, but should return next week. Team won the first game, but lost the other two and total (by 71 pins).

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/04/18 09:03 AM

Welp, another good news/bad news night bowling for me and my squad.

I finally have seemed to get back into my groove. Threw a 244/277/201 for a 722 series. Had 13 X's in a row between games one and two. Game two was my 5th 11 strike game of the season (still seeking my first 300). Had the front 8 and just completely lost the ball out of my hand in the 9th. Yanked it back into the head pin and got lucky leaving only the 3-6-10. Thought I was gonna have a church up there. Game 3 I probably jumped the gun on a ball change, then compounded the mistake by whiffing a couple 10 pins and chopping a bucket. Switched back to my original ball in the 8th and took it off the sheet to salvage my 200/700.

That was the good news. The bad news is we, yet again, ran into a buzz saw. Any other team and we likely would have swept last night. Both of the first two games our team scored 1200+ HC and we lost both of them (the first by 100+ pins!). Barely scraped away a point in the 3rd game. Lost total with a 355x score, which ended up being good for the second best team series in the house last night. Team we bowled had two 16x averages throw 250+ the first game. One of 'em dropped a 325 HC game, and ended up with an 83x HC series. Pretty tough to beat that.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/05/18 11:18 AM

Last night's bowling, frame-by-frame

While this is a different night if I make more of my single pins, I did have a decent game in a game other than the first, and carry was more the issue in the third.

Result: 150-196-147=493
Average (84 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 164
Next week's AVG+1 score: 626

Composite average (156 games): 180

I didn't remember Si shooting 500 since we started bowling together again, but he did last night with a 515, thanks to a 213 third game. We won the third game, and total came down to the other anchor getting pins off a spare, which he didn't. Tom also chipped in a 234 third game and had a 549.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/06/18 01:53 PM

Had a profitable last couple of weeks- the center I bowl in on Wednesday nights runs a couple of "break the bank" events during league. They designate 3 frames in the first and second games that you need to strike in, and 2 more in the 3rd plus you need all 3 in the 10th to win. The other one is a "super break the bank", with the only difference is you need one more strike a game, still need the 3 in the 10th of the 3rd game. The old format was just 3 strikes a game, 4/game for the super, neither required 3 in the 10th before. Since they went to the 3 in the 10th format a few years ago, I hadn't been able to break either one.
So earlier this season, the super bank got up to $9000+ before someone broke it, so what do I do? Break it 9 days later for $220 after it started over. Not complaining, though, it was $220 more than I walked in with.
So flash forward to last week- I break the regular bank for $2772 while shooting 241-268-300-809, then break it again this week for $117. So hopefully my mental block about breaking it is behind me, and I can focus on the super bank, which is over $4k again.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/08/18 09:49 PM

Carry was a major issue tonight, as I left 13 single pins, 10 of which were corner pins. I missed four of the single pins, but, on a lot of nights, I wouldn't have had to shoot them. The second game was almost clean, despite the big split, as I slid the 6 in the vicinity of the 7.

Result: 143-177-161=481
Average (75 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 165

Composite average (159 games): 180

Peter returned tonight, but we still lost all eight to first place.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/10/18 10:30 PM

the rolloffs start next week. We ended 3rd first half and 4th second. But, second over all in total points.

So, the top 8 teams are rolling for $3200 over the next 3 weeks. We already won $800 for the first half and $750 for the second. Worst we can do in rolloff is $2200, placing 8th.

So, a good year, on Monday.

Thursday rolloffs start next week. We are 3rd in total points, so the wild card team of the top 4. League was in thirds. So, one winner in each , plus us as wild card.

We won the Sr League today, winning both halves. Banquet and payout in 2 weeks. Since we won both halves, there is NO rolloff. This team has won the past 2 Summers, and the past 2 Fall leagues. There are rumbles to break us up. IDK why, we were in 7th just 5 weeks ago. Never lost another game.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/12/18 10:32 AM

Some exciting prizes there. All of our leagues are flat prize funds, not much excitement from 1st through 10th place. I'd rather be envious of the big winners than have practically everyone a loser overall. I wish people would ask to change these formats, or just eliminate the prize funds altogether.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/12/18 11:01 AM

I've been feeling much better, but my bowling scores didn't necessarily show it until last night, which was on the pair I've been killing this season. The first game was rougher, but I was clean the rest of the night after making a ball change in the 9th frame of that game. Also, none of the open frames in the first game were on single pins.

Result: 174-206-248=628
Average (87 games): 181
Next week's AVG+1 score: 631

Composite average (162 games): 180

Si was absent, and Tom was up and down, but did shoot 265 first game to help us win the point. My third game allowed us to win that point and total (by 75 pins).

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/12/18 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveH
Some exciting prizes there. All of our leagues are flat prize funds, not much excitement from 1st through 10th place. I'd rather be envious of the big winners than have practically everyone a loser overall. I wish people would ask to change these formats, or just eliminate the prize funds altogether.

I have become very conscious of the league payout. This has been made possible by the low lineage fees charged by the center. We pay $25 a week, but a little more then $9 is for lineage. So, about $16 goes into the prize fund for each bowler, every week. And, that really builds up. So, $16, X 35 weeks, X 80 bowlers. A prize fund of over $44,000.

It's the same on my thurs nite league in the same center.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/13/18 08:57 AM

By the time ours pays out for two holiday rolloffs, individual prizes at the end of the year, (1st through 4th), team money suffers.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/13/18 10:16 AM

Last Sunday was another over 60 tournament. This runs about a dozen times per season, sometimes once in a month, sometimes twice. The format is scratch, 3 games across 6 lanes. cut to an eliminator, which used to be 12 but the turn outs have been good enough that they now are taking 16. Here's the catch. They take the top 10. Then from age 65-69 they take the top 2. Age 70-74 top2 and over 75 years old top 2. I have bowled maybe a dozen of these over the last 2 years (when I became eligible), and never finished game 2 with a chance to make the cut. This past Sunday was different. Not in the first game department, where I whiffed a 7 pin, and had a 4-7-T split and only a coupla strikes and wound up at 167. By the end of game one I was reasonably sure where to play and with what piece. This tournament was at one of the few local house with wood lanes. I took a coupla older pieces and ended up using one of 'em once I was lined up. Started game 2 with the front 5, then chopped the 245, then had another 4xs, then a stuffed 8 pin. 254 and I was over the nominal cut line after 2 games! COOL!. Last game was clean to the 9th where I went split split. Left a 2-7-8 in the 10th and got the back pin on the conversion attempt. And missed the cut by 8.
Nertz. Oh well....baby steps I guess. I have been in tournament clubs before where it took time to learn how to make the cut then win one. I will do the same with this (at least in MY mind). I will miss the next one, but i will be at the season finale in about 5 weeks.

Oh yeah...EVERYone that made it on age had a lower number than I tossed....

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/15/18 09:24 PM

I was only ordinary tonight, but I managed not to shoot myself in the foot with single-pin misses. My only opens until the third game were on splits, and I had the misfortune of chopping a fence type of spare in that game.

Result: 158-190-162=510
Average (78 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 163
Next week's AVG+1 score: 592

Composite average (165 games): 180

Ed was the only one of us over average, and team only won the second game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/18/18 09:29 PM

I was on one of my weaker pairs tonight, and largely bowled like it, with no strikes on the right lane until the third game. Given how the night went, the 190 third game felt like a moral victory.

Result: 146-110-190=446
Average (90 games): 179
Next week's AVG+1 score: 545

Composite average (168 games): 180

Team managed to split 2-2, with Tom being the high of the bowlers actually there (two of the opponents pre-bowled).

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/19/18 03:33 PM

My league bowling has been very lackluster recently. Certainly not throwing the ball poorly, just nothing really pops right now. Last two weeks I've been in the 640's, which is right at average. I'm picking up spares much better again, which I'm pumped about. And I am able to find good lines and stay in the pocket for most of the night, which is also nice. Just can't carry consistently.

This past week I opened with a 244. In the second game, I had to move left a couple boards to stay in the pocket. Unfortunately this opened my angle up and I started wrapping the 10 and left a couple stone 9's. Resulted in a 19x game. Third game, I had way too much angle so dropped a ball down and upped my speed. This fixed my line but gave me less back end so still couldn't carry consistently.

Might start a thread on this, but I'm thinking about upgrading everything to 16 lb. I currently throw 15#. It's a big investment, though, so I'd like to be confident it'll help.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/19/18 03:49 PM

I feel like crap, as I blew it for my team in playoffs.

Top 8 teams rolling off for the big money.
We were 3rd in total points and bowled the No6 team.

First game, 201, and we lost by 20.
Second game, 224, and we won by 40.
Third game, 131, and we lost by 30.
Lost 2 games and series, mostly because of me.

Game 3 saw 5 splits. Started with a double, then a 4-9, a 7-9, both strong but high. Let it out some and left a 2-8-10, then a 5-7. Finished with a light hit 4-5 in the 10th. Just horrible!!

So, we don't bowl for the $3500 top prize, and are in the loser's bracket, rolling for $1900. I cost my team $1600.

Had I not bowled, but taken my average less 10 pins, we would have won.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/20/18 10:56 AM

I feel like crap, as I blew it for my team in playoffs.

Never fun to leave a bad series out there like that at the end.

But look at the season as a whole. Bet they wouldn't have been in that position to begin with had you not been contributing better than that in all the other weeks.

Shake it off and bounce back to make sure y'all get the $1900! thumbsup

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/22/18 09:16 PM

My night started out poorly (four straight open frames), and I never really recovered, though I bowled better after my ball change. My conversion of the 4-5-7 was probably the highlight of the night, given how difficult it is to cover the corner pin on that split.

Result: 138-170-171=479
Average (81 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 163
Next week's AVG+1 score: 572

Composite average (171 games): 179

Ed was the only bowler present who shot 500, but we still failed to win points.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/25/18 09:59 PM

I bowled well enough to get my +1 tonight, but I also left some pins out there in single-pin misses, especially the two 8 pins I left on great shots. However, to provide the balance, I converted a couple of splits.

Result: 195-188-173=556
Average (93 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 181
Next week's AVG+1 score: 625

Composite average (174 games): 179

Si pre-bowled a 580, which provided us the foundation with which to win all four.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/27/18 02:16 AM

Won first round in playoffs tonite. We were the first team with the highest point total and we bowled the 4th team wild card. Next week, we bowl the winner of the 2 vs 3 spot for the championship. It was a no contest night. We won 22 of 26 possible points. Their first bowler shot 680 and beat our first man each game and series for the 4 points. I won all of my games and series and our anchor did the same. Shot 640 and was low on the team.

Payout is based on total points won during the league, which we are the highest, and the final finish position, which we bowl for first and second next week. We are doing well.

Won the Tuesday league last week without a rolloff as we won both halves.

And, have the third round of playoffs on Thursday, where we will be either 5th or 6th of 18 because of out first round loss.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/28/18 12:16 AM

Congrats on your win in the playoffs and in the other league. Good stuff.

My winter league season ended tonight. Our de-facto playoff in the Friday night league was last week. We were up by 7 points on the 2nd place team and got absolutely smoked 26-4. We dropped from 1st to 4th. Still had an outside shot of winning the league and I put forth my best effort with 246,237,236 for a 2nd half high of 719 and went 30 clean as well. However, my teammates struggled with transition and we only were able to take 12 points, dropping us to 5th in the final standings.

With my strong set tonight I managed to finish my Friday league at 220 and ended up with 213 in my Sunday league. Not too bad I guess considering I still have issues in my game that I need to work out (mainly staying behind the ball), so hope to be able to correct that over the summer.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/28/18 04:04 AM

nice shooting Wronghander.

Well, because we won both halves and it resulted in no playoff in the Senior league, a proposal has been submitted to take the top 2 teams in each half for a playoff. If 1 team is included twice, and it can only be in playoff once, then a wild card team will be entered. Which will be the next highest point total team.

That's fine, it adds some intrigue to a playoff. It will be voted on at the annual meeting before next season.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/28/18 09:03 PM

My league season has finally come to end. Thank goodness. This is the least fun I've had bowling since I started. Anyone who says low scoring conditions are the way bowling should be, please come bowl a season at Shake, Rattle, Bowl inside Cliff Castle Casino in Camp Verde, Arizona. The place is a dungeon. I hate it.

If any powers-that-be from any major bowling company are reading this, please visit the Verde Valley. We have three main towns that are growing way too fast, we have the worst bowling alley in the country, and we have a large, angry base of league bowlers. You'll prosper here, I promise.

In a 20 team league I was high average, had the high game, and the high series. I managed that with a 191 average, a 257, and a 678 series. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a 700 shot in the house across all leagues.

Now to take the summer off and see if I still want to bowl come August.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/29/18 10:33 AM

This is my last week in league.

Monday, playoff for 5th and $3600 total payout.
Thursday, playoff for 1st and $2400 total.

Those are team numbers. Mon is 5 man and Thur is 3 man.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 04/29/18 09:28 PM

I had a bad first game, missing consecutive 10 pins in it, but ended my season with two decent games thanks to strings of strikes. The 179 final average is still an improvement from last season.

Result: 132-188-198=518
Final average (84 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 167

Composite average (177 games): 179

Team won second game and held on for total by one pin.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 05/01/18 10:05 AM

Pulled a bone head move last night.

I cut the grass, then took a nap before final playoff night. Slept thru first game. We lost. Got there late and only bowled the last 2 games, 212 and 208 without practice.

won 2 of 3 and total pins.

then celebrated with the team afterward. Got a payout of $725. Good for 5th place.

Today is Senior tournament. Prize is free bowling for a year.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 05/03/18 01:29 PM

I mostly struggled with my release last night, failing to connect on a double and leaving multi-pin spares more often than not. The third game had a chance to be clean, but I missed the pocket in the 10th, leaving a tough spare.

Result: 154-154-180=488
Average (96 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 165
Next week's AVG+1 score: 581

Composite average (180 games): 179

Team won a close second game (by two pins) and the third by enough for total.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 05/04/18 10:03 PM

All leagues ended as of last night. Results:

Sr League, 1st place and second indiv hi game, $194 payout.
Monday Night, 5th place, hi team game scratch, 2nd in point total, $725 payout.
Thurs Night, 1st place, highest point total, Hi team game, $740 payout.

So, It was a profitable year.
Sr league, $14 for 33 weeks = $462, - payout of $194, = $268 cost
Monday, $25 for 33 wks = $825, - payout of $725, = $100 cost
Thurs, $22 for 32 wks = $704, - payout of $740, = $36 to the good.

Total cost to bowl $332 for the whole year.

Find it odd that the lowest cost league cost me the most to bowl.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 05/10/18 01:41 PM

After three consecutive open frames in the middle of the first game, I was chasing the score a little bit, but I still had a shot at my +1 if I could go sheet after the strike in the 8th third game, which fizzled by missing a 2 pin and chopping a baby split. My spare game was balanced by making every 10 pin, as well as a couple of tougher splits.

Result: 150-194-204=548
Final average (99 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 176

Final composite average (183 games): 179

We would have moved ahead of our opponents with a third game win, but my failed baby split conversion cost us, as their anchor went spare-strike to win by one pin.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 05/12/18 07:18 AM

Well, that went badly last night for our team. In the other post, I mentioned how we needed two big nights to try to get into first. We bowled both games over average and still lost each game by about 70 pins. We also lost the third game by probably the same amount of pins. The third place team lost the second game, so we locked into second, which is still good for the season. I shot 244, 224, 207 for a 675. I couldn't string strikes in the third game after the front three and it killed my game.

On a side note, I'm amazed at how misinformed/uninformed some bowlers who supposedly know a lot are. We had a ball return jam by a pin and one of the balls on the other team came back with a lot of belt marks. I made a quip about the upcoming rule change about cleaners and was told by a long time bowler on the other team that you currently are not allowed to clean a ball during a game, only between games. I tried to bring up the new rule change and why the USBC has a "Approved Anytime" list of cleaners and that the only current rule forbids products that can change the surface during competition, not all cleaners since the rule is about surface changes. Then, the weight hole change came up and he tries to tell me that all balls with weight holes will have to be thrown out by 2020; they can't be plugged (or he said they would be grandfathered in, I'm not sure who on their team said what even though it doesn't matter as that is also wrong). I ended up looking up the rule change and showing my teammate (I wanted to show that I wasn't crazy at this point) about how the 3 oz rule goes into effect Jan 1, 2020 so balls have time to be plugged by Aug 1, 2020 when the balance hole rule goes into effect. It's like this person on the other team didn't read anything on his own.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread - 05/12/18 06:43 PM

Some guys just know it all.